Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 06:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 231.8/231.8/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Does anyone still participate here?

Hi, I am new to SBD, today is day 2 (after a week of reading and researching). I am looking for a forum to participate in to get support, encouragement and advice on this journey...

But it looks like there's not much activity here...so this is just a test post...

2MM
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 07:36

Plan: atkins "72
Stats: 215/215/165 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

There isn't much,so I'm looking else where too
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 08:49
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

HI!
There are a couple of us here. I can help you with details of the SBD, if you need it.

Welcome!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 09:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 231.8/231.8/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
HI!
There are a couple of us here. I can help you with details of the SBD, if you need it.

Welcome!

Thanks Judy (and Wind). I think I am pretty set for right now. I like to keep things very very simple, so I have stocked up on meats, veggies and (best thing I love about SBD) beans! I am very happy that I can enjoy a V-8 as my breakfast veggie!

Pretty much what I have set up for the next days is this simple menu:

Breakfast: coffee w/ half and half; 2 dinner size turkey sausage; 2 HB eggs; V-8

Lunch: 10 oz box of spinach cooked with garlic & 3/4-1c chick peas

Dinner: 2c whatever veggie I make for the family; double portion of whatever protein -- typically ground turkey burgers, ground beef burgers, or chicken

Snack1: roast beef and swiss roll ups, or a couple of HB eggs

Snack2: yogurt with 2 tbsp natural peanut butter stirred in

How does that look for starters? I might have to work on the dairy part; but is dairy REQUIRED, or is it ALLOWED (2c)

Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 09:32
Attitude is a Choice

Looks pretty good to me!

All aspects of this plan are up to the individual. If you are lacto intolerant, then no, dairy would not be for you.
Some don't enjoy beans so they don't have to eat them.
I eat a very small amount of grain and do eat lots of veggies...so thats how I do it. I do not eat any flour at all.

The thing is to learn to eat good carbs and good fats...and practice portion control.

We have a weekly weighin thread here if you'd like to join us.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 17:09

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Welcome to SB, 2moosmom. It really is a great plan that you can tailor to meet YOUR needs.

I don't really post anymore, but i do check in often. Actually, I don't do much online these days except read and do research on heart disease and diabetes. My focus has been on "fixing" J since July. Boy, I need to get out more, huh? :P
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 17:11

Plan: SBD-modified
Stats: 179.6/167.8/142 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi Judy,
I'm new to this forum as well, but I've been reading some of your posts over the last couple of days, I hope it's appropriate to respond here, not sure of protocol . . .
This is my second try on SBD, last time (right after new year's last year I think I added carbs in too fast after Phase 1, and unfortunately by the time I figured out my triggers, they already had triggered! I spent the rest of 2011 trying to convince myself that I can find a way to eat that includes carbs, but I last about two weeks with brown rice and whole wheat and then slide into french bread and ice cream. So I am trying again, but this time I am going to go way slower with the carbs (I am allowing myself one low sugar fruit a day even in phase 1, otherwise I get terrible headaches and it doesn't seem to interfere with weight loss or create cravings). I am a little nervous about beans and lentils -- wondering if these are known to cause cravings or lead to excess carbing? My plan is to keep away from sugar, grains and most root veggies indefinitely. I know you said you stay away from all flours, I am wondering if you have tried almond flour and if you have thoughts about it (I have no present plans of using it, but maybe in the future?)
Thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 17:20

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Welcome to you as well, W/Feathers.

I'm not sure about beans causing cravings, I think it all depends on the individual. If you are anxious about eating them at the beginning, don't. There is no hard and fast rule that says you MUST. Tailor the plan to meet your changing needs and you should do fine. Best of luck to you.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 17:29

BF:

Thanks Renee!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 21:12

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

I am in here, too, I had very good results with South Beach twice already, but both times I have fallen of the wagon, and now I am slowly getting back up, hurt a lot the last time! Wake up call from the doctors this morning, when I weighed in at 210lbs! Starting school on the 17th and I am hoping that will keep me from munching constantly, since there will be no more boredom.
Welcome to both of you and good luck.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 09:57
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/Feathers
Hi Judy,
I'm new to this forum as well, but I've been reading some of your posts over the last couple of days, I hope it's appropriate to respond here, not sure of protocol . . .
This is my second try on SBD, last time (right after new year's last year I think I added carbs in too fast after Phase 1, and unfortunately by the time I figured out my triggers, they already had triggered! I spent the rest of 2011 trying to convince myself that I can find a way to eat that includes carbs, but I last about two weeks with brown rice and whole wheat and then slide into french bread and ice cream. So I am trying again, but this time I am going to go way slower with the carbs (I am allowing myself one low sugar fruit a day even in phase 1, otherwise I get terrible headaches and it doesn't seem to interfere with weight loss or create cravings). I am a little nervous about beans and lentils -- wondering if these are known to cause cravings or lead to excess carbing? My plan is to keep away from sugar, grains and most root veggies indefinitely. I know you said you stay away from all flours, I am wondering if you have tried almond flour and if you have thoughts about it (I have no present plans of using it, but maybe in the future?)
Thanks!

Hi and Welcome!

Its so good to see newbies and oldies posting here!!
Hi Renee and Susanne!

So, yes, phase II is where many end up losing their way and dropping out.
As you said, going too fast is not a good idea at all and the way its presented in the book doesn't tell us that.
What I've found to be true is by doing this myself and finding a slower and better way to do it. I used the Atkins OWL carb ladder to see a better way. This is why I say to start with low sugar fruit first week(berries) and starchy veggie second week. NO grain at all for many more weeks, let alone processed grain aka bread.

Even now in maintenance, I'm very aware of how many servings of starch I eat daily and its about 2-3. 1-2 pieces of fruit. When I seek weight loss now, its easy for me to drop back to phase I eating. I float between the phases all the time.

Almond flour, you ask? We are given a limit of one serving of nuts or nut butters daily. Thats about 15 almonds. If you chose to use it on almond flour, thats a choice you get to make. I prefer the nuts myself.

You allow yourself fruit and are fearful of beans and lentils? It should be the other way around. I had headaches and withdrawal too but I got through 2 weeks after several attempts, finally.
I suggest that you keep trying to do 2 weeks(perfect) without any fruit and do add in beans or lentils. Getting past those headaches was key for me!

Did I get everything?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 14:24

BF:

Thanks Judy, I forgot about that pesky nut limit. I love nuts and would also rather eat them whole or have peanut butter, so I see your point. I am on day 6 and am starting to feel a little better so I am going to take your advice and cut out the fruit and see what happens-- I am going on a business trip next week and worried; last year at the opening reception it was all fried foods, pastas, etc, so I ended up having some raw veggies for dinner! For breakfast in the past they have had all starch options (bagels, pastries), fruit and those small artificially flavored yogurts. I assume the yogurt, though not optimal would probably be the best choice? For the other meals they will probably have salad and hopefully some protein offering so I should be ok. I feel like if I can just get through next week it will get easier!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 15:05
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/Feathers
Thanks Judy, I forgot about that pesky nut limit. I love nuts and would also rather eat them whole or have peanut butter, so I see your point. I am on day 6 and am starting to feel a little better so I am going to take your advice and cut out the fruit and see what happens--
Great! Smart of you to see the wisdom of this.

Quote:
I am going on a business trip next week and worried; last year at the opening reception it was all fried foods, pastas, etc, so I ended up having some raw veggies for dinner! For breakfast in the past they have had all starch options (bagels, pastries), fruit and those small artificially flavored yogurts. I assume the yogurt, though not optimal would probably be the best choice? For the other meals they will probably have salad and hopefully some protein offering so I should be ok. I feel like if I can just get through next week it will get easier!

Can you bring any hard boiled eggs with you? will there be a fridge in your room? Don't they also serve any eggs for breakfast?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 15:27

BF:

I was thinking about bringing almonds and cheese sticks, as someone said that the cheese will not go bad in a day or two even if there is no fridge, but I'm a bit leery -- also I'm traveling with my boss and it would be embarrassing if airport security pulled out my food supply!! Maybe they will have eggs; that would be easier. Its not a situation where I feel comfortable asking for special treatment, as I might have in my past job. Worst case, I guess I could just have coffee for breakfast and hold out till lunch! I'm determined to get through this stage (I don't want to do it again!!)
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 15:01

BF:

They have eggs!! so far, so good. Also, Hi Suzanne! thanks for the welcome.