Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-11, 08:28

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksgirl
I'm still hanging in there. lol Haven't had a "cheat" for 2 weeks now and it's made a huge difference. I don't even want one at this point. Of course, I'm wondering how I'm going to make it thru the holiday season without gaining a ton of weight. Have you all already worked this out??

ha! You're already 2 weeks ahead of me on being on track. I don't worry about Halloween since I purposely just buy candy I don't really like, so I'm not tempted.

For Thanksgiving, we have a full dinner at my house, and it's delicious enough that no one would ever know it's very healthy. I do a turkey, and then sides include mashed cauliflower (cheese, bacon crumbles, butter, and sour cream all available for toppings), broccoli cheese casserole, twice baked sweet potatoes, spaghetti squash, homemade cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries (excellent for mixing leftovers into plain Greek yogurt!), possibly some green beans with almonds, and probably some stuffing and rolls for those who want them. Appetizers for pickin' before dinner's ready include deviled eggs, nuts, veggies and dip, and a tray of cheeses and pepperoni (maybe some crackers if I'm going all out ). Desserts are, well, desserts, but I make others take home any leftovers of pies and such so they're not sitting in my kitchen.

I won't worry about Christmas. Won't gain 10 pounds in a day!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-11, 11:44

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksgirl
Haven't had a "cheat" for 2 weeks now and it's made a huge difference.

that's awesome! you should be proud of yourself!!

i have no idea how i'll make it thru the holidays. the change of season has been tough, dark rainy weather made my carb cravings wake up. guess i'll just take it one day at a time. it's a bit overwhelming thinking about christmas when it's just halloween. we have parties all weekend, so my plan is to eat before we go and to bring things i know are okay for me to have.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-11, 06:42

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I have to agree with you both. Halloween doesn't bother me at all. Candy doesn't tempt me. And, Thanksgiving is not to hard to get thru because there are so many LC foods that I can make or stick to that's delicious. It's Christmas that's gonna get me. I should prolly go ahead and start experimenting with some good LC desserts. lol
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-11, 10:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/211/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I second that.Xmas is usually my problem too.I would love to try some of Linda's low carb desserts -genaw.com
For a slighter high carb,I also like to try Metabolism miracle cookbook.My biggest problem though is most lc desserts contain flax.if you have almond flour/soy flour/butter and eggs,you can almost make anything.For liquids and softness ,I use lc milk,sour cream,heavy cream, etc.Another challenge is the sweetener.Usually I always default splenda,but now that I am pregnant I am sort of confused.don't want to take any risks.
I have made pound cakes,pumkin cakes and sweet breads,also jello puddings/mousse are good for a slight sweet tooth.When i have a some cut up desserts lc in my freezer,I rarely cave in for regular ones.also I like making coconut macaroons lc style.But nowadays i am so tired I have no time to spend time on these,so I keep falling off...
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-11, 06:36

BF:

Well, I fell off the wagon big time this weekend. Blah My husband travels with his job so he is only home every other week for a few days. He came home with cinnamon rolls which are my favorite. That's all she wrote........... From Friday night to last night, I ate nothing but junk. Hubby left this morning to go back on the road and I'm getting my butt back on track. smh
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-11, 07:57

BF:

eriksgirl - ugh, cinnamon buns in my home would be EVIL! My husband knows better :P I'm still really off track, though, even when he doesn't bring me food; I'm quite capable of blowing my diet all by myself! I stepped on the scale over the weekend after not having done so in a while, and I really though I'd be back up to 184-186, but it said 181.5, which is only .5 up from last time I weighed. Body must really be burning extra calories for this baby because I certainly haven't been eating very well!

Trying to at least reel myself in a bit now, though. I made a spinach lasagna yesterday that's in the fridge to be reheated for a dinner this week with the leftovers to be good lunches for work. I also plan to make some oopsie rolls (planned to make them yesterday, but fell asleep on the couch!). Need to start cooking dinner at home more so we don't eat out all the time - will be better for me, baby, AND bank account!

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrose26
Another challenge is the sweetener.Usually I always default splenda,but now that I am pregnant I am sort of confused.don't want to take any risks.
...But nowadays i am so tired I have no time to spend time on these,so I keep falling off...

My favorite sweetener right now is erythritol. I also ditched Splenda for pregnancy (also ditched soy, so no soy flour for me), and I came across a few articles about how even stevia could cause hormonal issues, so I avoid that most of the time as well. I buy erythritol online in both granulated and powdered forms. In recipes with a lot of sweetener, it can add an almost minty feel to it, like a coolness, but that doesn't usually bother me, and some people never notice it.

I'm woth you - always so tired! Cooking has fallen WAAAAY to the wayside because by the time I get home after an 8-10 hours of work and a 40-60-minute commute in each direction, cooking is the LAST thing I want to do!
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-11, 15:29

Stats: 266/222/166 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hey guys I want to join~! I need to get back in gear I slipped the last 2 months since I quit smoking and gained back 10-15 lbs. I definitly don't want to gain a ton of weight in the next 9 months so now that I'm 4 weeks in I need to get a handle on my diet stat. I think I'm going to do the same LC but then add some fruit. I definitly do a lot better when I'm on this site and the 20 something females thread kinda died so I'm so glad that I found this thread! Some of your names look familiar too so I definitly feel this is going to be awesome!
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 07:25

BF:

Welcome, Fire Dancr, and Congrats!!! Congrats on quitting smoking. Yay!!!
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 10:19

BF:

Well, getting back on track diet-wise just got a bit easier unintentionally - my husband got laid off yesterday So, much less eating out for us!

Plus, we'd been shopping around for a single family home (currently in a townhouse), so I'd been holding off on buying bursery furniture/decor since I wan't sure where the nursery would be, but now I can start buying stuff for our current spare room

Welcome, fire dancr! I have a friend who is pregnant about 6 weeks behind me, and she quite smoking when she found out she was pregnant and quickly gained about 10 pounds. I felt bad for her, but I think most of us will agree that an extra 10 pounds is still better than smoking
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 21:59

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

jillybean~sorry to hear about your husband's layoff my husband is getting laid off soon too (they keep finding more work for him, a bunch of the other guys are already laid off), but he's been wanting to go back to school for a while so i think it's all going to work out.

hi fire dancr~ good for you for quitting smoking. i'm sure your weight will level back out.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 06:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
jillybean~sorry to hear about your husband's layoff my husband is getting laid off soon too (they keep finding more work for him, a bunch of the other guys are already laid off), but he's been wanting to go back to school for a while so i think it's all going to work out.

We're definitely trying to stay positive - this was pretty unexpected and out of nowhere, and neither of us has ever been laid off before. He has been taking one class at a time toward an associate's, though, so I made him fill out a FAFSA last night in consideration of potentially just doing a full-time course load for spring semester if he doesn't have a new job yet.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 08:38

Stats: 266/222/166 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

That sucks about the hubby's job. You can def find cheap furniture on Craigslist. I dunno about a crib but at least other stuff. What do both your husband want to go to school for? My husband has a business administration degree and manages a carwash so don't do that lol.

I have been good at eating the past 2 days andmy pregnant symptoms are sore boovs frequently urinating (although I drink over 100 oz water a day so that might have something to do with it) I can't stop eating but it has been LC.

I had a dream Richard gere was trying to kill me this morning. Wtf? Lol

Have a good day ladies!
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 09:44

BF:

Jill, sorry about your hubby's layoff. I've been through this several times with my hubby and know how difficult it truly is. My husband just got laid of with his previous company 3 weeks ago and made a drastic career change. Now, he is self-employed and travels. He's gone 1-2 weeks at a time and is home for a few days before going back out again. It stinks, but I try not to dwell on the negative and instead just be happy that he has a job. But, homeschooling 5 kids, pregnant with another, and being a "single" parent gets to me at times.

Ok, I've had my vent for the month. LOL Hopefully, things turn around for you and your hubby, Jill.

Firedancr, that made me laugh about Richard Gere. LOL Gotta love the crazy pregnancy dreams. LOL

Walnut, I hope things work out with your hubby, too. Boy, sounds like we are all in the same boat, huh??
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 11:34

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean7

after an 8-10 hours of work and a 40-60-minute commute in each direction, cooking is the LAST thing I want to do![/color]

Sounds like DC traffic!
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 12:32

Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi, I'm Caitlin. I'm 12 weeks pregnant with our second baby. I have a son who is 14 months who stopped breastfeeding 2 weeks ago. I'm a maternity nurse. I work out 4-5 hours per week, and have severe nausea with both pregnancies.

I have not been low carbing because I thought it would be "bad" for baby. Instead I've gained 9 lbs in 8 weeks of being pregnant. Lemonade and ritz crackers was my way to get by-- but the other day I tried low carb foods to keep my stomach from ever getting empty. The only time I puked? After a cupcake. I did it again today-- did really well until I ate half a slice of pie. Now my stomach is turning SO badly.

I hope you can use another friendly face.