Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 16:52
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I'm loving the comments on both blogs. But the 6Servings folks got their blog handed back to them in pieces.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 17:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/172/150 Female 5ft 10inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

LOLing, at the stupidity and the fact that sixservings got SERVED!
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 18:20

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

So heartening to read all those comments. I think we're seeing the beginning of the end for the grain industry. One day there'll be a skull and crossbones on loaves of bread with a government warning: This product may cause obesity, disease, and vitamin deficiencies.
  #94   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 21:21

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold99
Has anyone started the new book yet? I have and it is so scary if you are a true believer in LC.
I have been w/o wheat for 13 days now and I can relate to alot of his points in the book. I am about half done and it is eye opening to say the least and I am an open minded person and am sure there is an opposite point of view as well but makes you think and wonder if between wheat and HFC we are slowly killing ourselves.....

I"m on day 11 or 12 of being grain free. What have you noticed so far? I'm wondering if you've experienced a feeling of "cleaning out"? I'm not sure how else to describe it but my digestive tract sure feels like that's what it's been doing. The other main thing I've noticed is a decreased appetite compared to before when I had wheat and other grains.

Last edited by LAwoman75 : Sat, Sep-24-11 at 21:28.
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 21:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by purcy55
Found this blog posting on the SixServings.org website showing their "perspective" on the new book "Wheat Belly" by cardiologist Dr. William Davis. You got to read what they say, I am howling. I am grain free as quite a number of us here are. Five years ago I may have agreed with what this foundation blog says, but now, it is actually deadly information to be posting this stuff. If you feel moved to post a rebuttal, go for it.

http://www.sixservings.org/2011/08/500/

Looks like Dr. Davis himself has responded to the blog!
  #96   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 21:38

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

While the debate continues on the original sixservings post, they have posted 'you asked, we answered' follow up post.....

http://www.sixservings.org/2011/09/...ed-we-answered/

More commenting opportunities for everyone. I had a look in their archive and their average no of comments is 0 until they starting writing about Dr Davis' book. I wonder what their viewing stats look like.
  #97   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 01:59

Plan: Atkins BSCP/Paleo
Stats: 225/192/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

The book is due out on 18th October in the UK, I've pre-ordered from Amazon and can't wait to get stuck into reading it!
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 09:36

Plan: No Whites/No Grains
Stats: 275/250/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75
Looks like Dr. Davis himself has responded to the blog!

Oh yeh, I've been following this blog daily and have posted several comments. It is a truly vital, horrifying thing to see their (The Grain Foundation) irresponsible blog postings in response to this book.

This book may very well be the most compelling, up to date research reference book on the effects of eating grains.

Funny thing, I posted this blog (sixservings.org) and a link to Dr. Davis' book on my Facebook page and I did not get ONE response from any of my 400 friends. But geez, the fact that facebook changed the look of their website spurted heated debates for the past 5 days!! Insane, a lot of people just really don't WANT to know.

Last edited by purcy55 : Sun, Sep-25-11 at 11:02.
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 12:20
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:

Funny thing, I posted this blog (sixservings.org) and a link to Dr. Davis' book on my Facebook page and I did not get ONE response from any of my 400 friends. But geez, the fact that facebook changed the look of their website spurted heated debates for the past 5 days!! Insane, a lot of people just really don't WANT to know.

I'm always posting web pages and youtube videos on Facebook but no one ever acknowledges them. I won't give up though. There may be silent readers in there somewhere.
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 13:29
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:

I post this stuff too. My friends are split. Some have TOLD me they don't want to know. Because once you know, you can't go back. You can't come back from knowing that your OJ is de & re-oxygenated and mixed with perfume. You can't come back from knowing your food has been altered as it's basic level to make it cheaper to produce, without regard to the affect it has on the human body. But, these are the same friends that watched me and the hubs drop a combined 120lbs in 4-5 months, and want in on the "secret." Or family members who also suffer from migraines who want to know what my life is like now that I don't get them. But are the same ones who say, "I could never give up bread/wheat/donuts/etc." I respond that I couldn't live with the headaches.

But then, then there are the ones who want to treat their body well. They trade farmer's market info with me. Even if they eat wheat - they're far lower carb than the SAD.
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 13:49
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

"Ignorance is bliss" for some people. I can't stand NOT knowing.
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 15:02

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
"Ignorance is bliss" for some people. I can't stand NOT knowing.
My sister is an "ignorance is bliss" sort, . She and her daughter love to go out pretty regularly for fat-free frozen yogurt She would often invite me to come along, and I would always refuse. Well she kept getting more insistent, and added "they have a sugar-free flavor every day too". I finally said, "I'm sorry, but after reading about what the ingredients are in fat-free frozen yogurt I just can't bring myself to eat it". To which she went ballistic and and said, "Do you always have to spoil everything? Can't you just let us eat our yogurt and enjoy ourselves without making a big deal about what's in it? We just want to go out together and enjoy eating our yogurt." ... without caring anything about ingredients of course.
  #103   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 15:50

Plan: No Whites/No Grains
Stats: 275/250/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
My sister is an "ignorance is bliss" sort, . She and her daughter love to go out pretty regularly for fat-free frozen yogurt She would often invite me to come along, and I would always refuse. Well she kept getting more insistent, and added "they have a sugar-free flavor every day too". I finally said, "I'm sorry, but after reading about what the ingredients are in fat-free frozen yogurt I just can't bring myself to eat it". To which she went ballistic and and said, "Do you always have to spoil everything? Can't you just let us eat our yogurt and enjoy ourselves without making a big deal about what's in it? We just want to go out together and enjoy eating our yogurt." ... without caring anything about ingredients of course.

doesn't this just kill you, the anger people can project because not only do you have the nerve to refuse to join the status quo, but you actually ruin it for them by giving them an education about what they are ingesting. when all they wanted was to live in the la la land on self denial. like someone said, once you know something you can't unknow it. on boy, my family has all but disowned me because of how I have ruined things for them.
  #104   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 16:25

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Wink

Quote:
Oh yeh, I've been following this blog daily and have posted several comments. It is a truly vital, horrifying thing to see their (The Grain Foundation) irresponsible blog postings in response to this book.

This book may very well be the most compelling, up to date research reference book on the effects of eating grains.

Stick to pictures of cute kittens

Last edited by Angeline : Sun, Sep-25-11 at 18:12.
  #105   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 17:02

BF:

I do occassionally post articles on FB but that's about as far as I go with it. I learned long ago that most people really don't want to know how I lost my weight if it means they would have to change a single thing in their life. I got so tired of the eye rolls and snarky comments, so I don't say a word.