Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-11, 16:58

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

A morphein effect? That explains why I love sweets so much, I don't go for gains but many do. We, as humans, weren't meant to eat grains, if we did, we couldn't really have gotten much at a time. We will eat about anything, but thats not saying we've always been the smartest species, just willing. Wish they would quit pushing grains, I love a piece of toast in the morning, but I hate the bloating that I got with it.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-11, 22:19

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

does he mention the casein~casomorphin effect too or just limited to gluten~gliadin~gluteomorphins?

Ps, i seriously cant wait to read this book!
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-11, 04:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
does he mention the casein~casomorphin effect too or just limited to gluten~gliadin~gluteomorphins?

While he does advocate a low carb approach, there are so many bad things he has to say about wheat that he doesn't make too many detours. I don't remember that being in there.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-11, 12:14

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Nice one Mr Naughton!

The Grain Producers Respond to ‘Wheat Belly’
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....to-wheat-belly/
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-11, 12:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Nice one Mr Naughton!

The Grain Producers Respond to ‘Wheat Belly’
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....to-wheat-belly/

That was awesome! My favorite part:

Quote:
Besides this, the advice dished out by Dr. Davis is completely counter to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, the gold standard of scientifically-sound nutrition advice.

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!

Last time I checked, the gold standard in research consisted of randomized clinical studies in which the data actually supports the investigators’ conclusions. But if you folks want to re-define “gold standard” to consist of observational studies that often contradict the very advice they’re cited to support, be my guest … although I’d consider that more of a tin standard.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-11, 12:23

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
My favorite part:
LOL, mine too!
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-11, 15:45

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
LOL, mine too!

Me too! I LOL'd.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-11, 16:13

Plan: paleo
Stats: 126/124/117 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

This is the next book on my reading list.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-11, 17:32

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

You can listen to a new interview with Dr. Davis hosted by Hank Garner
Here
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 05:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1492
You can listen to a new interview with Dr. Davis hosted by Hank Garner
Here

Excellent interview!

Depressing to hear that the Powers that Be are putting the brakes on our message... on purpose!
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 06:32

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

Grain will never be eliminated from the diets of the general public so what needs to happen is a better alternative found for farmers to grow and people to eat. I don't know what other people would suggest, and I don't know much about farming, but things like amaranth could be explored, perhaps.
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 07:07

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgerms
Grain will never be eliminated from the diets of the general public so what needs to happen is a better alternative found for farmers to grow and people to eat. I don't know what other people would suggest, and I don't know much about farming, but things like amaranth could be explored, perhaps.

Amaranth is a more expensive crop that the wheat that is currently grown. Switching over would seriously impact agribusiness' bottom line. The cultivation of wheat is a big business, and the farmers receive massive subsidies to cultivate it. Unfortunately, because of the money involved, you won't see any real changes in the near term.
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 14:32

Farmers could take their land which grows wheat for pennies a bushel,and convert it into pasture for Grass-fed beef which goes for a minimum of 2$lb hanging weight..Joel Salatin does over 1,000,000$ in sales a year off a farm that is only 400 acres...Many Wheat farmers own land 5x that amount!! If you watch the movie "King Corn",I think you may come to the realization I did..This is going to sound really mean and cynical and I apologize to those for whom it is not true,but Wheat and Corn growers are indifferent and apathetic,and have become lazy...Yes I said it...In the spring,they contract a plower to do their fields,and with his tractor and plow he can turn over 20 rows at a time,and can plow 500 acres in less than 2 hours...The typical farmer has 1000-2000 acres so he is done in 4-8 hours...Then it takes the same time to seed the rows...They water from time to time,all done with tractors..Then they fertilize,and later either have a crop sprayer fly over their field or once again it is done with a tractor...That's it...Months go by,as the crops grow..There is nothing to be done until the harvest,and once again it is usually a contractor who harvests and takes it to the CO-OP...Then they wait all winter to repeat the process again in the spring...Now compare this to Joel Salatin's farm where the animals and poultry have to be tended to on a DAILY basis ALL YEAR LONG!!!Joel is a millionaire..So are many Cattle ranchers..Show me one millionaire wheat farmer...We have created a welfare state in farming,some like Joel, see a way to rise above and do the work and planning it takes to be successful,while many others are content to do the same thing year in and year out for a subsidy check from the Government....Watch the movie "King Corn",it will open your eyes to subsidy farming..
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 17:19

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

We have a small farm, we tend the beef cattle, feed calves from buckets, raise, corn, oats and beans. Hay is a necessity, which there isn't much of this year. We do our own work, although we are paid to do a few others work for them. We work on the farm almost daily, there is always something to do, the last 2 days we cut down dead treas, tomorrow, were mowing the multiflour rose down. Hauling manuar took a week, ganna mow hay tomorrow afternoon. Who waters there crops? We don't have irrigation systems, thats more along the river beds in the sandy soil. We don't get money from the government, we do the work and hope for the best when crops are sold and calves are old enough to go to the market, calves seem a little smaller this year, could be the drought, will have to feed them longer, more corn to get them ready. Were out of pasture, no water, no grass, don't usually have to grain the calves, no so this year. Tractors need repair work, seems like all the time, farm truck needs breaks, something always needs done on the farm, even more work when we had sheep, there worth a long now, got out of them, LOL!

There are a lot of really big farmers that don't do much besides row crops and some to contract out there work. Don't know how anyone can afford the acreage, tractors and equipment, its hard enough with a few hundred acres. Were not all the same and there arn't that many "rich" row croppers any more, theres simply to mutch overhead in farming.

That said, I've been trying to get family to stop spraying crops and go chemical free, we grass feed our calves till they are old enough for the market. We don't have enough grass year round to feed up calves on grass, it would be really hard to do, anywhere without giving them grain to keep them at least threw the winter. We raise our own beef calf every year, he's pasture and grain feed till he's ready, no chemicles.
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
We have a small farm, we tend the beef cattle, feed calves from buckets, raise, corn, oats and beans. Hay is a necessity, which there isn't much of this year. We do our own work, although we are paid to do a few others work for them. We work on the farm almost daily, there is always something to do, the last 2 days we cut down dead treas, tomorrow, were mowing the multiflour rose down. Hauling manuar took a week, ganna mow hay tomorrow afternoon. Who waters there crops? We don't have irrigation systems, thats more along the river beds in the sandy soil. We don't get money from the government, we do the work and hope for the best when crops are sold and calves are old enough to go to the market, calves seem a little smaller this year, could be the drought, will have to feed them longer, more corn to get them ready. Were out of pasture, no water, no grass, don't usually have to grain the calves, no so this year. Tractors need repair work, seems like all the time, farm truck needs breaks, something always needs done on the farm, even more work when we had sheep, there worth a long now, got out of them, LOL!

There are a lot of really big farmers that don't do much besides row crops and some to contract out there work. Don't know how anyone can afford the acreage, tractors and equipment, its hard enough with a few hundred acres. Were not all the same and there arn't that many "rich" row croppers any more, theres simply to mutch overhead in farming.

That said, I've been trying to get family to stop spraying crops and go chemical free, we grass feed our calves till they are old enough for the market. We don't have enough grass year round to feed up calves on grass, it would be really hard to do, anywhere without giving them grain to keep them at least threw the winter. We raise our own beef calf every year, he's pasture and grain feed till he's ready, no chemicles.

What you have stated Sexym2 is the difference between a true working farm with livestock and cattle,which demands daily tending to and the "row croppers"...The govt pays a subsidy twice a year based upon acreage sowed.The more acreage you use for Corn or Wheat etc,the larger your subsidy,so many corn,soybean and wheat farmers use all their land for crop usage and do not bother with livestock,other than maybe a small chicken pen..The corn farmers I saw in the movie use contractors to do all the work thru their CO-OP,because these tractors cost over a 100,000$ and it is senseless to purchase one for personal use,plus as you mention the repair,taxes,fuel etc...The small family farm that you have is the dying breed of farm that we all associate in our mind...What is taking the place are Mega-farms,some as large as 10,000 acres!!