Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 06:29

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

OMG, don't get me started about shopping. It doesn't comfort me, but it DOES motivate me to stay on this WOE. There is nothing like starting at your mostly naked body in a full length, three-way mirror to make me realize that even though I've lost a lot of weight, I am by no means thin, and I should just PUT DOWN the freakin' carbs!

Uh, sorry...went on a little rant there....spent a weekend shopping at the West Edmonton Mall and it didn't go so well...sorry for hijacking!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 07:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 176/125/125 Female 5'3.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
I have found, the less and longer its been since I've had a snack, the less I care for them. I still crave for sweets, but I don't eat junk food anymore and absolutely no snacks. Now, if I cave at all for HC food, its usually something with breading or the sort. I have found finding something to do is better than eating. If I still feel the need to eat and its not meal time, I get a big glass of water and find something else to occupy my mind.

I don't snack anymore, either, unless for some reason I'm starving. One week I had forgotten to pack snacks for about 5 days in a row, and I noticed that the scale was moving downward a lot faster than it had been, so I kept it up. It makes a pretty big difference in how fast the weight comes off (for me). If I eat 3 good meals, I don't feel the need to snack for the most part.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 08:08

Plan: My own
Stats: 164/140/128 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress:

The most comforting food for me is probably grilled veggies, red bell pepper, leeks, eggplant, lots of zucchini miam!
If not, I lift heyvy weights at the gym so when I come back i'm not thinking of sweets but of a big steak! It helps getting through hard times. The post-gym is probably the most comforting time of a day You're half dead, you take a loooong really hot shower, then put on pyjamas!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 09:09
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titefille
The post-gym is probably the most comforting time of a day You're half dead, you take a loooong really hot shower, then put on pyjamas!

This cracked me up!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 10:42

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I lost the need to snack also. A large part of it is that I'm not hungry any more, but I think for me, it was about comfort and habit. Lets face it, we all like to eat! Food is my best friend, it doesn't yell at me, ask to get it a town, throw fits and is always happy with me watching a movie on the couch. I'ts taken me a month to get rid of that snacking habbit, and I'm glad I did. I can see grabbing something if I'm truly hungry but not much. I know sometimes after I eat fish, a few hours later, I'm hungry. I grab a piece of string cheese and a glass of water. I'm not into starving!

When I ate low calorie, I had 2-3 snacks a day. I come to depend on those snacks weather I was hungry or not, I ate them because it was a habit. I believe thats what our comfort foods are, is a habit for us, a crutch? Sitting down with that mug of LC hot cocoa sounds great! but would turn into a confort habit for me.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 11:18

Plan: LC cycle w/keto REAL FOOD
Stats: 141/126/112 Female 166 cm
BF:26/21/Lean
Progress: 52%

Unfortunately I *have* to snack. I have reactive hypoglycaemia so I need to eat every 3-4 hours or I go wobbly. But I usually have smaller meals to make up for it and 'healthy' snacks like grren beans, a piece of cheese. I'm still learning with this - for some reason a few nuts doesn't work even though they are high calorie and contain fats, protein and carbs! A protein shake is good as mine is less than 100 cal and less than 2 carbs but it seems to do the job well.

Yeah for general comfort reasons though I think it's really important to find something which isn't food to do it for you...I wish I could meditate, that'd probably be a good one.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 11:22

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1cutie
This cracked me up!

You mean? (I'm french, sorry don't understand this:/) For me it is like It splits you... lol
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 11:42
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Titefille, crack up- means laugh really hard or laugh alot
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 11:52

BF:

I'm still in my house coat, LOL! My neighbors probably hate me, I take my dog potty, and went outside to get better reception on my cell phone all in my house coat I havn't even worked out yet.

I've never gotten into meditating, I think they tried to teach us something like that in my lamauze class many moons ago, but I couldn't grasp it. How does one breath threw your whole body and work your way up? I tried I always feel better after I work out, hot and sweaty and a nice shower, alwasy gets me past cravings. I've tried to make new habits for myself. I'm on this site a whole lot more. I'm going to get some laundry done, work out, take care of the dogs and clean out a shed. Should take me the rest of the day

By the time BF gets home I wont have cravings and the only confort I will need is from him Darn it, could be a late night, he's combining corn.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 11:58

Plan: LC cycle w/keto REAL FOOD
Stats: 141/126/112 Female 166 cm
BF:26/21/Lean
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
Darn it, could be a late night, he's combining corn.

God I'm so wrapped up in food - my immediate thought was this was some sort of diet. Corn-combining I'm an idiot lol
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 12:11

BF:

LOL!! The good news, he will be hot, sweaty and very dirty and will need food and a shower when he gets home. Of course I will have to join him and scrub his back for him

Corn combining, I can't emagine that being a diet, except he skips meals to stay out there all day to get the crops in. He makes up for it when he gets home.

MORAL HERE: don't skip meals, you will over eat at the end of your very dirty day
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 12:19

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

LOL, well to bring the hot, sweaty and very dirty temperature down a bit....I used to believe I was a lifelong emotional eater in constant search of comfort food, but now I'm seriously thinking it was the freakin' carbs all along. I can't remember turning to food for comfort since I started this w.o.e. I'll have the occasional square of 85 or 90% chocolate (not the 70% because that can trigger a craving and the whole bar would be gone), but I plan ahead to have the chocolate because I like the taste, not to smother an emotion. In good weather I love to walk and hike. For me it's one of the most peaceful, calming things in the world. The other would be getting into a warm, cosy bed between clean fresh sheets on a cold winter's night and reading or watching a favorite tv show before falling asleep.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 12:28

BF:

Did I hear mention of clean, cozy sheets? Oh ya, that's a great new habit to get into, very, um, comforting

Ya, I know, its on my mind today, he left the house leaving a happy woman behind that wont have any emotional eating/cravings today!

Still, I mentioned some time ago, that every time I had a craving, we were to , um, have comforting time together. As you could imagine, he was game, for 3 days. Apparently, I have to many cravings, LOL! New hobby needed!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 16:06

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

sexym2,

You just need more friends who share your hobby interests!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-11, 07:32

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1cutie
Titefille, crack up- means laugh really hard or laugh alot

Ok, is it the words I used or the fact to be half dead after working out? Lol, I don't understand, we may have a language issue lol!