Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 17:36

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default About to start my low-carb pregnancy journey!

I took a home pregnancy test yesterday (First Response), and it was negative. However, I've been having symptoms (sore breasts, tiredness, extreme hunger in the mornings, bouts of nausea, and some lightheadedness), so I went to my doc today for a blood test. I will get the results tomorrow afternoon. In my lack of patience, I took a second home pregnancy test today (from the Dollar Tree), and it was positive! So just waiting on tomorrow's blood test results for confirmation...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 17:39

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

I've been ttc for a couple months and all mine have been negative.
My first child I took 4 different tests and the doc asked me why 99% isn't good enough once.
So I know the "official" doc statement is important to you!!
Keep us updated!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 07:16

BF:

STILL waiting on blood test results - the waiting is AWFUL! Hopefully today...meanwhile, I've done 2 more Dollar Tree home tests with positive results, but 2 more First Response tests with negative results.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 08:19
On my way to goal

Plan: General lower carb
Stats: 220/210.4/180 Female 68 inches
BF:Top Weight = 323lb
Progress: 24%

If you're home test was positive, your pregnant. The dollar tree ones seem to be more sensitive than the first response, go figure considering the cost. But my understanding is that the home tests will give false negatives, because of the sensitivity issues, but not false positives because they are looking for a certain hormone.

I'm sure the wait for the official word is VERY frustrating, but hang in there.

And congratulations!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 20:52

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Congratulations!! My first positives were all $$ tree stores tests as well
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 05:54

BF:

Welcome to my life...the doc's office apparently labeled the tube of blood improperly, so the lab refuses to test it. *sigh* I went to a Quest lab on my way home from work yesterday (Thursday), and my doc's office faxed them the order, so I'm HOPING to have blood test results today!

Meanwhile, symptoms have lessened, but I've now done a total of 4 (yes, 4) Dollar Tree home tests, and ALL have been very clearly, boldy positive (none of this "faint" second line business here!). So I'm pretty convinced - just want that clincher!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 07:59

BF:

That is awesome!! Dang I'm only gonna be buying dollar tree tests from now on!!
Congrats and I hope I'm next!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 08:25

BF:

FINALLY - confirmed positive blood test with HCG level of more than 75,500!

So far, doesn't seem to be affecting my type 2 diabetes control. My non-fasting glucose level (they ran a CMP with the HCG) was only in the 70s
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 08:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/171/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

How wonderful! Congratulations!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 10:06

BF:

That is wonderful!! about the pregnancy and the blood sugar levels!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 04:46

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Congratulations!!!!! Dollar Tree tests are the best. They are the only ones I will use. Not only cheap, lol, but they pick up on lower levels of the pregnancy hormone that other, more expensive tests. Dollar Tree tests can pick up 25 hcg and most others, are 50 hcg and higher.

So excited to have another Mom to share this LC pregnancy journey with!!! Tomorrow, I will be 14 weeks pregnant with #6.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 05:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksgirl
So excited to have another Mom to share this LC pregnancy journey with!!! Tomorrow, I will be 14 weeks pregnant with #6.

#6 - WOW! That's so amazing! We will likely stop at 2 (hubby says the children should not outnumber the adults :P ), but this is only #1, so we'll see how it goes. How many of your pregnancies have been low carb?

I've lost at least 3 pounds this week. I'll, of course, talk to my doc about it at my appointment next Friday, but I just have such a hard time eating very much. Even right now, I feel hungry, but nothing seems appealing, so it's a battle just to find something even tolerable. I'm not trying to lose weight right now, but at least I'm not already a (or under) my ideal weight, so hopefully I have some wiggle room without causing harm.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 05:58

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Let's see.......I did LC with my last pregnancy 'til the last few months when I lost all control, threw caution to the wind and ate whatever I wanted. lol I'm hoping to NOT do that this time. I've always gained between 45-50 pounds with each one. yuck I can't lose weight while BF'ing so I have to carry all that weight around 'til I'm done. I soooo don't wanna do that. I should post a pic on here of how bloated I was from water retention after having my last baby. IT was awful. From everything I've read, it's from the carbs. I keep that pic up to help keep me motivated.

So far, with this pregnancy, I've gained 3 pounds. I eat every 2-3 hours. I've printed out a bunch of Linda's casserole's and desserts and have tried quite a few. That way I ALWAYS have something on hand to eat what I get hungry. They freeze well, too. I have to eat something the sec I wake up or I get ill, so it helps having something ready made. LOL

It sounds like you're doing really well. It'll be easier when you get out of the "nothing-sounds-appealing" stage. That's the worst, isn't it?? Just eat whatever you can tolerate and don't beat yourself up. ;-)

So, when are you due, if you don't mind my asking?? Looking forward to chatting with you some more. This board has been kinda quiet.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 10:08

BF:

So far, peanut butter is my friend. I can't stand eating plain completely natural peanut butter (the kind with just peanuts), but I am at least doing Skippy Natural, which has oil and sugar added, but still not high in carbs, and still has fat and protein. And I don't eat a ton of it at a time, just a few small spoonfuls. I like that it doesn't separate AND I don't have to refrigerate it. Everything else is pretty hit or miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksgirl
So, when are you due, if you don't mind my asking??

Not sure yet - I have my first ob/gyn appointment this coming Friday and am hoping they can give me an estimated due date the. I'm estimating I'm about 9 weeks along since my last real period started June 10, but I had two bouts of spotting after that (assuming now that one of those may have been implantation bleeding), so I don't know if I ovulated again later or how long my normal cycles are or anything since I'd been on hormonal birth control from age 16 until just that period in June. I also got my quantitative HCG level in my blood work, so I looked up some charts online of average HCG levels by week, and I am at least 7 weeks out according to those, so I suppose 9 wouldn't be unreasonable - just seems so surreal since everything I'd read said I wouldn't be fertile again for 6-12 weeks AFTER taking out my last NuvaRing, but apparently they were wrong!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-11, 10:02

Plan: my style
Stats: 252/217/166 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Hi Ladies,

I have just found out I am pregnant and am trying to decide which level of low carb to follow. Right now I have been using lc tortillas and eating strawberries. The occasional lc ice cream although since finding out I was pregnant I haven't been wanting ice cream as much, weird huh... anyway also low sugar yogurt. Depending on how I feel I'd like to stay around 50-65 carbs per day if I can lose a little with exercise. If not then I will cut back more. I am 39, 40 next month and weigh 217 at 5'4 so I do not want to gain any weight!