Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-14, 21:09

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffin
I've been following her blog. I don't agree with everything she says but she has brought up some good points about Jimmy not being more open and forthright about his weight struggles, especially considering he positions himself as an expert and an adviser on low carb. There is also the matter of Carb-Sane being booted from his forum when she asked questions he didn't want to answer. If your weight loss plan is that good, then questions about your progress (or lack thereof) or a disagreement about some aspect of it shouldn't phase you. You should welcome discussions if done tactfully.

I don't know about this carb-sane person and don't read his website, but I listen to Jimmy's podcasts regularly. He has not only been absolutely open about his own struggles, but he also invites every possible point of view onto his shows, and never ever promotes anything as "the answer" for EVERYBODY. Just says LCHF and a very ketogenic diet is what helps HIM, while encouraging people to find what works best for THEM.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-14, 21:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169.2/137/149 Female 69inches
BF:
Progress: 159%

Who the h#ll is Carb Sane and why shoud I pay attention to anything she says??? Sheesh..I went to the site...nothing but blah blah blahs...in the internet age does everyone with a site get their creeds by paying for a BlogSpot???
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-14, 09:05

BF:

Didn't realize how old this thread is, lol!
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-14, 09:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sadly, she is still around and still blogger. Don't know if she has posted about Jimmy lately, since her target more recently has been Gary Taubes. Checked her blog and she is still at it! Except now she has added Dr. Lustig and a few other respected scientists to her bizarre rants.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-14, 09:29

BF:

Her attitude towards "good science" is somewhat puzzling. Maybe she will next say she requires a good leeching and mustard plaster to restore her unbalanced humors?
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 10:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Sadly, she is still around and still blogger. Don't know if she has posted about Jimmy lately, since her target more recently has been Gary Taubes. Checked her blog and she is still at it! Except now she has added Dr. Lustig and a few other respected scientists to her bizarre rants.
She has quite a coterie of devoted followers however, many of whom claim that a LCHF diet nearly killed them until they "saw the light" and began to cut fat and add more carbs to their diets. Maybe for *them* that is better, but still annoying to see how they continue to spout about the ignorant misguidedness of anyone who follows a low carb WOE. I still sometimes look at her site. I do like to see what other people are saying. But it's not always good for my blood pressure.
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 12:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
She has quite a coterie of devoted followers however, many of whom claim that a LCHF diet nearly killed them until they "saw the light" and began to cut fat and add more carbs to their diets.

As someone who spent decades nearly being killed by that kind of behavior, I am skeptical.

The few times I've wandered by her place, she and her followers seem more like carb addicts out of a Fellini film, if you know what I mean.
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-14, 13:16

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Wow! With only 60 lbs to lose (that's usually my trigger to get it back under control), I'm pretty well under the 100 lb. mark and I could also be considered a failure. However, it's absolutely me who has failed and not the diet. You have to stay with something to lay the blame there. I haven't had the mindset change, that I no longer desire sweets or potatoes, but I also use AS enough that that could be the reason. I do know I have less craving now. I'm hoping that will allow me to make it to goal again, this time.
I guess my point is, when I see someone who 'failed' at LC, my first question is always whether they stayed with it.
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-14, 14:58

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Jimmy's forthright enough about his weight struggles that it's been the subject of conversation for years and years.

I think you have to keep things in perspective as well... even with all the frankenfoods, various low carb pasta and bread products that didn't turn out be low carb after all, etc., at his worst rebound weight, Jimmy still held on to a great than 100 pound weightloss.

CarbSane wants Jimmy to admit low carb isn't working for him. Or that's the impression I get.

Before nutriitonal ketosis, Jimmy did some other experiments. One was mostly eggs and butter... no sweet... that means not only no artificial sweeteners, but also no sugar alcohols, which are after all, carbohydrate. Another experiment wasn't just eggs, but low carb foods--again, leaving out the sweet stuff. He lost weight both times. Regained it when the experiments were over. His whole history is consistent with less carbs=lower weight. Like it or not, he's our perfect poster child for low carb.
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-14, 17:07

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
she and her followers seem more like carb addicts out of a Fellini film, if you know what I mean.

Love it!