Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 13:40

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 146/146/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Can I join? I've been eating 100% Paleo since 6/20, so this isn't too much different! I'll just have to stay off that scale! Can I at least weigh when I get home tonight to see where I'm starting at?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 04:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins + Paleo
Stats: 200/147/135 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hi PaleoChic! Welcome! Yes try to stay off the scale Get a starting point, that is a good idea!
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 09:50

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Just checking in... I am really missing the variability of dairy in my diet right now, but not enough that it will throw me off. Mostly because I LOVE my coffee, but it is just nasty to drink it black even with EVCO so I just quit drinking it. I suspect my morning joe may have been affecting my glucose/insulin levels anyway.

I had to cut out eggs too, I'm pretty sure that was the cause of a nasty psoriasis flare up, I've been off eggs for 2-3 weeks and my psoriasis is nearly gone, getting better every day. **sigh** I miss eggs more than dairy.

That leaves me with pretty much meat and some veggies. That's how I ate for a long time, but in combination with intermittent fasting so I was only cooking for myself 5 times a week. I added in cheese during my pregnancy. Now that I'm nursing a little one I have to make sure I eat enough calories, so that means cooking at least 2 times a day, which I am getting used to. I'm not too crazy about using the microwave, and I eat my meat rare or slightly undercooked so it's not very good reheated anyways.

On a positive note, I feel pretty good. I must have had some belly bloat because my belly seems to have shrunk considerably, I am very happy with that. I am beginning to get more walking in, so I am looking forward to July bringing about more positive changes in my health.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: Whole 30
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:
Progress: 26%

mfish - that's awesome. I haven't tried eliminating eggs to help a spot on my ankle that I've had for years. I think I'll try it.....as soon as finish the coleslaw....
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 11:18

BF:

Good luck. From everything I have read, it takes about a month for the body to eliminate the proteins from the body once you quit ingesting them. My wheat allergy started out as a spot on one of my shins. 10 years later, that little spot had "grown" to covering the tops of my feet and around my ankles through my knees, my elbows to halfway down my arms, my wrists and tops of hands, behind both ears, and probably some other places I am forgetting at the moment. When I discovered LC and eliminated wheat, I think it took a good 2-3 months for the rash to fully disappear. Now every time I encounter something that doesn't agree with my immune system I get the psoriasis in my scalp, and most recently across the front of my neck, too. At least it's just food allergies, which I can control quite easily once I figure out what they are.
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 13:44

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaloa
Warren,

What it boils down to is that I started this thread to see if there was interest in anyone joining me in doing the Whole 9's Whole 30 challenge. I'm not sure why you have a stick up your a$$, but I really don't care.
I had something to say because this place is about sharing experiences. My experience is that making big changes quickly very often leads to failure.
Quote:
You seem to want an apology from me for not listing out every single detail of the Whole 30 challenge, for not providing a web link to the Whole 9 website, for not advising random newbies that "this is not the best challenge" for them, for not explaining any details for the exact carb allowance for every single person who might be looking at this thread, for not giving them the exact advise that you "feel" is necessary about the way to go about carb restriction.
I was not looking for an apology.
I think you should have posted a link to where you you copied the Whole 30 stuff from though. It is helpful to people that want to know more and common "netiquette".
Quote:
And you're right, I shouldn't be answering for everyone else on the forum. They may think you're completely correct in everything you say. Me personally, I think you're being arrogant in that you assume because you find it so incredibly easy to do Paleo for six years that everyone who does Paleo also finds it so extremely easy. But, OMG, I don't find it easy to stick to Paleo, which is why I wanted to start this challenge. To give me, and possible others, a goal to shoot for. For me, that is the whole purpose of a challenge, to have a goal to strive for.
The reason I found paleo easy for the past 6 years is because I didn't go cold turkey. I eased into it. Just because you don't want to do it that way does not mean that I am wrong in suggesting that it is an easier way of going paleo.
Quote:
So, you know what, I really don't care to continue this conversation. Obviously, you "know" what's right and how to do Paleo perfectly and that this was a fool's errand for me to even start this thread. So, you win. I'm done and everyone can do Paleo "your way", because it's so easy, that they don't need to have anything in particular to shoot for.
Oh stop sulking.
All I'm saying is that there is no need to rush into things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemypets
Go Manaloa!!! Warren... while you might have valid points in your argument... you come off very aggressive and controlling!
Social skills my dear are in need.
I really don't care.
I have been doing paleo for years. My experience is worth something to somebody that wants to know. Just because people don't like what I wrote, it doesn't mean I shouldn't tell of my experiences
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonechew
Thank him for his clarifications and igore the rest. He will look like a A$$O and the rest of us will just step over non-productive posts and carry on.
I don't care about looking like an a$$o. There is nothing "non-productive" about posting experiences. I'm not one of those people that just sits back and doesn't bother to warn people of the pitfalls in something just because it might burst their balloon.
Quote:
I am doing LC Atkins and found a great deal of info in this challenge.... being more specific about your food choices is the message.... natural, organic, nothing processed... it's all something that we should strive for and try and work into our eating style more no matter the "version" of eating plan you are choosing to follow.
Yes indeed. All I'm saying is don't rush in.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 16:08

BF:

I should have mentioned earlier that I have found avocado to be an amazing stand-in for cheese. I just started eating them again because the are terribly expensive here in my corner of PA, $2.50 for each one, has been that price now at least 6 months! (the price of avocadoes... I should start a separate thread for that )
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 06:42
Registered Member

BF:

mfish,
Avocados seem more expensive this year than I remember. I love them though. I could eat a whole one at every meal if it weren't so $$$
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 09:27

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

For you non egg eaters, avacado is a wonderful base for smoothies....add some frozen fruit and liquid (water, coconut milk, etc)....nut/seed butter...whatever.
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 12:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoChic
Can I join? I've been eating 100% Paleo since 6/20, so this isn't too much different! I'll just have to stay off that scale! Can I at least weigh when I get home tonight to see where I'm starting at?

Welcome, PaleoChic The challenge is technically starting on July 1, but a bunch of us began early, so if you need some more "prep" time you have lots of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
For you non egg eaters, avacado is a wonderful base for smoothies....add some frozen fruit and liquid (water, coconut milk, etc)....nut/seed butter...whatever.

It was drinking raw egg yolks that got me into so much trouble to begin with, I do love me a smoothie! I am avoiding all tree nuts for now, although I normally like to eat macadamias and sometimes almonds. The only fruits I eat are berries, I think they would go deliciously with some avocado. Going to have to shop for the coconut milk. From what I've been reading it's the stuff in cans that I want, there's a ton of asian grocers here (and a TJ's) so that won't be a problem.

Most meals I make have to be pretty quick and easy, the last few days I've had salads of romaine, vidalia onion, 1/2 avocado, and ground beef with a drizzle of hot sauce, very tasty. Dinner last night was a burger topped with 1/2 avocado and yellow squash "fried" in EVCO. I cooked the squash slices with salt and spicy paprika till they started browning - so good! I forgot to put onion in with it though, so will eat it again today with the onion fried in.

I am glad to be getting over my coffee addiction. I feel strongly that either dairy or splenda was causing cravings, because I'm not having them now. I am starting to really appreciate [again] every bite of food I put into my mouth, and I am feeling better than before. In that respect, doing this feels like beginning my LC WOE all over again. I must have lost touch with the wholesomeness of my WOE and am glad to have that feeling back again
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 17:25
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%

I am up for this challenge. I have only managed to reduce my dairy to a little cream in my coffee and cooking my food in butter, so this will be a new experience for me. I've got the no grains, no sugar, no potatoes and no legumes thing in the bag already. Dairy is the final hurdle for me. Oh, and booze!
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 09:38

Plan: general lc
Stats: 212/146/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Oblong, welcome to the challenge! Dairy and caffeine were the two daily vices that I wanted to give up with this challenge, and it seems to have worked. I've no desire to back to using them daily after the challenge.

Day 13 for me and still with it. I'm now consciously trying to up my calories and carbs, because, even though I"m not necessarily hungry, I'm lethargic and having trouble lifting daily things. Carrying the 2-gallon dog water bucket yesterday gave me a lower backache, which it shouldn't do. It's taking some real will power not to add potatoes back in for the cals and carbs.

Hope everyone else is doing well!
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 10:54
Registered Member

BF:

Celtia,
Have you tried adding winter squashes or sweet potatoes? They're a little more carby.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 16:09
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%

Thank you for the warm welcome celtia

On top of this, I will be giving up smoking. I don't smoke that much, but it has recently become more of a regular thing than I would like it to be so I've decided to nip it in the bud before it gets out of control.

I'm debating whether or not to give up the tea and coffee too. I've had coffee pretty much every single day for the past few months, I've forgotten that it's a stimulant! I think it's time to give up the coffee
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 16:13

Plan: Whole 30 / IF
Stats: 195/175/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I'm in. I'm glad I saw this post. For the last couple of years I've had a terrible time losing weight even when I LC. I think something in my metabolism is out of whack. This may be what heals it.

I've been cutting back on grains and have almost completely cut out dairy. I eliminated alcohol and caffeine when I developed TERRIBLE sleep issues in March. This seems to me the next step in a progression.