Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 17:33
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Time to check in here again.

I haven't caved. Sat at a table of smokers today and didn't flinch. I still get the "just one" demon in my head but I know that's a lie.

Either way, it's been over 2 months and I'm still nicotine free.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 17:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/175 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

GOOD for you!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-11, 10:12

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChice
Time to check in here again.

I haven't caved. Sat at a table of smokers today and didn't flinch. I still get the "just one" demon in my head but I know that's a lie.

Either way, it's been over 2 months and I'm still nicotine free.

You are doing so well. You made it this time. And you are not being tricked by the demon either - wow, I am impressed.

As time went on, my demon became more clever and crafty. I was impressed by the cunning gile he exhibited. Some times I thought he had out-smarted me - except for my trusty habit that allows me to decipher truth from lies... I tell myself to wait 20 minutes before acting on any ideas my demon comes up with. 20 minutes later I forgot what the demon wanted.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 21:25
Carnivore

BF:

Well, I slipped. I had a single drag from a friend's cig. It tasted horribly. I didn't want another.

This slip followed a pretty hardcore week long craving. It blows my mind that 3 months later, I am still fighting this hard. The "just one" demon is changing tactics. The new line is "but you enjoy smoking, you can quit when you need to. You didn't need to quit now." Man is addiction a b***h.

So, I slipped. I forgive myself for a moment of weakness and move forward, renewed, determined, and hoping the cravings and mental challenges start to ease up at some point.

Seriously though - that cig tasted bad. How did my non-smoker husband put up with that?
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-11, 10:53

I don't treat my demon as part of me. It truely is a cunning, wiley creature - and it is hell bent on getting me back to smoking. It knows all your buttons, all your weak areas, and how you see logic.... you can never give into to this demon or he will never go away.

I do remember going through all the justifications on why it was OK to smoke, or how just one a day would be OK, or how I could quit when my life wasn't so stressful, or etc, etc, etc.

But no one around me smokes. No one at work, none of my friends, not my sister, etc. You might want to tell all your friends and family that you would appreciate them punching you really hard on the arm every time you ask for a drag off of thier cig. And then tell you no.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-11, 12:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/138/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Wow- Good for you!!! I know how hard it is and I think you're especially brave to make 2 major life changes at once. I quit 28 years ago and it was hard for awhile. My worst times were driving in the car and after dinner. I remember craving a cig and lifting my hair up to sniff, because now it smelled like my shampoo instead of like an ashtray. I can't imagine that I used to smell like the smokers I walk by- YUCK! I can't imagine I ever enjoyed the taste and drawing something so toxic into my lungs. I know how relieved my loved ones were that I'd quit, and imagine that yours feel the same.

You go girl!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 13:05

Man, it has been 8 months since I smoked.... and it really called out to me over the weekend. I had 2 of the strongest urges to date in the last couple of days.

Thank goodness I don't live near stores or have anybody around me that smokes or it would have happened.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 13:06
Carnivore

BF:

I'm glad you were able to resist!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 14:51

I really want a cig when I get upset or depressed. Wow, it was so strong.

My co-worker stopped smoking 4 yrs ago. He said he still wants one. And he really enjoyed smoking. He still talks about it like it was a love that he lost, but fondly remembers....

Even if I don't lose any weight this year, I quit smoking and no one got hurt. I think that deserves a reward - like a new car!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 19:13
Carnivore

BF:

Heck yes!

I'm another person who enjoyed smoking. I hate the smell and the respiratory problems... but I enjoyed doing it. It is difficult. But if crack and heroin addicts can get clean, I can quit smoking!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-11, 11:29

Quote:
Heck yes!

I'm another person who enjoyed smoking. I hate the smell and the respiratory problems... but I enjoyed doing it. It is difficult. But if crack and heroin addicts can get clean, I can quit smoking!

I enjoyed smoking also. Helped me think, calmed me down, helped me focus... yea, in my mind smoking was the reason I got through everything.

I have read that quitting smoking is just as hard as quitting heroin. That could account for the number of people who end up smoking again.

I'm just trying to go a year. And then I'm going to reward myself really big. I still put the money that I used to buy smokes with into a jar. It is really adding up. 200 dollars a month saved.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-11, 21:21

Plan: Low Carb<30day + Exercise
Stats: 295/265/180 Female 5' 6"
BF:ToO MUch!
Progress: 26%

I am currently planning on quitting smoking and have heard about a certain "magic" book for ages. I am about halfway through as of now and it is working wonders!! I found it online for free to download. Let's see if I can provide the link. I think every smoker should read it!! And I too, have always been one that has "enjoyed" my smoking habit.

http://digg.com/news/story/Allen_Ca...wnload_free_PDF

When I first looked at the link it looked a little "fishy" but it's safe. I downloaded it just fine and like I said reading it now. The book is truly amazing.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-11, 22:05
Carnivore

BF:

Thanks for the head's up. I may read that at some future point. Right now, if I think too hard on it, or talk about it too much, that urge gets pretty dang tough. So, I'll just keep on keepin on.
Had the one slip a while back (one puff) but nothing since.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-11, 09:39

Quote:
Thanks for the head's up. I may read that at some future point. Right now, if I think too hard on it, or talk about it too much, that urge gets pretty dang tough. So, I'll just keep on keepin on.
Had the one slip a while back (one puff) but nothing since.

I was looking at your stats. Man, you have lost a ton of weight, and you quit smoking at the same time! You must have a red cape in your closet. My hero.

When I grow up, I wanna be just like you.

Seriously - you have done the impossible. What ever you face in your life, it will always be easier than losing weight and not smoking at the same time.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-13, 03:45
Carnivore

BF:

Well, time to return to this. I fell of the smoke-free wagon for about 10 months.
But I'm back on. I got this, this time. It's been over 2 months and I haven't slipped once.
I don't get the 'just one' demon anymore. Now when I get a craving, it's all out war - which is easier to fight! I get the "you enjoyed it, let's just stop all this nonsense and get back to it" - which isn't really true. I don't like freezing my tukkus off in winter outside to feed the addiction. I HATE the way it smells. I hate so many things about smoking. I just never knew how to function as an adult without that 'out.' The magic way to start or leave a conversation, without causing a problem. The entire social aspect had me messed up. I'm over most of that now.
I quit using Chantix, which I'll talk about in another post. That stuff is... yeah.

Last edited by TChice : Fri, Jan-18-13 at 03:51. Reason: just adding stuff