Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#76   ^
Old Sun, May-08-11, 07:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 383.8/345.4/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

good morning,Happy Mothers Day!!!! Pam,enjoy your alone time glad you are sleeping.Meg,I am sure arizona is beautiful but I could never take the heat,I don't care if it is a dry heat,heat is heat and 100 degrees is heat,don't deal well with heat,it gets hot enough here in connecticut for me,stay in the ac,but I do love the four seasons!!Yes I love living alone,the longer I live alone the better I like it,I was never more alone than when I was married except for the drama....been there done that and am so done with that.don't have the energy or desire for that.Myrt,glad you are sharing about yourself makes it easier for us to get to know you,I can relate with daily pain and have been on ANSAID'S for years also,doesn't seem to bother my stomach and get liver functions done routinaly...so far so good,don't think could function without them.Oldest grandaughter just called,her and hubby are coming over and I have to shower to get ready to go out with son,hope I eat on plan....have a great day.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 01:06

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Hope everyone had a nice weekend and Mother's Day. We spent the day like an ordinary Sunday. Daughter and granddaughter sent cards, son called and said he thought he'd like to take just me to dinner this next week. He'd spent Saturday with DH at the car show and they stopped to eat afterwards so he'd had his dad time. It's the thought that counts as he'll work his long days and be tired in the evenings. It is suppose to be very hot this week and their shop is in a metal building. I also received text messages and calls from a couple girlfriends and other family members.
I partially cleaned the refrigerator today. Garbage collection is in the morning and it seemed a good time to do it. Felt good to toss out some of the tempting foods and was easier when I read the expiration dates. With my health problems and the amount of time I spend in bed when having flare ups those days don't seem to exist. I'm always surprised to see the dates on some of the foods as it seems like it was just a couple days ago that I purchased them. Might have been, lol. Really, I've noticed the the grocers aren't removing expired foods like they used to and always try to check dates now. Then cleaned the rest of kitchen while at it. Makes me think I might be feeling a little better now. Maybe the pollen is settling down, yippee.
Didn't take a nap today either.
Had chef salads for our dinner. Was a nice change. I've gotten to where my main meal is eggs and bacon around 2 and then a small something in the evening. It is 3 a.m. here now and I'm wide awake. Think I'll read for a bit and see if that helps me get sleepy. Poor little Austin is worn out now and ready to get in the big bed instead of on the couch.
I don't drink coffee, but have unsweetened iced tea year round. My favorite drink and vice is Pepsi.
Enjoy the day, N2L
  #78   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 05:23

BF:

Had a great Mother's Day,went to son #2's house(we were going out to eat) but he decided to make a barbeque for his wife and mil and me,he has a beautiful patio,it was a gorgeous day and of course I ate off plan,I had a baked potato and corn and cake,steak,ribs and chicken and 2 glasses of wine o.k. so I fessed uped lol.Today back to cleaning,dil said she would come and help me and she's obsessed with cleaning so of course I welcomed the offer,got to get started.Hope all had a great day yesterday ,I sure did we had a very relaxing day and had a lot of laughs,have a good day all.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 09:16

Plan: none
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 5'7'
BF:
Progress: 35%

Good Morning Ladies! I am ready to strangle Rich-I have worried all weekend about business and how to pay all that's due. He has been telling me he was holding his own-only down $100. I was so angry that I'm the only one worrying about finances, with traffic down at the store I'm a wreck. He comes home tonight-I called him cause I freaked out about a big payment that came out of my checking account that I thought comes out next mo. I asked him how much he really lost. He was happy to tell me he actually won $2000. I'm too old for this. Not sure I can handle all this stress.

No diet and still smoking. Sorry ladies, I'm gonna be no good this summer.

Have a great day!
  #80   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 09:37

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

My Sunday had nothing to do with Mothers Day, but it was a nice enough day. I enjoyed catching up with personal email, and my groups and friends on Facebook; my social life is almost entirely online. (I stopped driving and can't walk far.)

My new adventure was shopping for vibrators on Amazon. It looks like it's far too long since I've been vibrator-shopping - the selection is overwhelming. I chose two that'll arrive in a week or two, I guess.

My body's become pretty demanding over the last couple of years. Maybe because of low carb, maybe because of the liberation of age, who knows. I don't have, or want, a partner now, and for the most part, that's fine.

Myrt, yes, of course we still have our journals, and the people we've gotten to know over the years. You-all are brand-new to me, and there's this intimate but not close stage now that we just have to get through.

Pam, stress and drama and games are so tiring. I'm sorry you have to go through that.

Someone asked whether AZ is bad for allergies. Yes, it is. I guess they're everywhere.

Meg
  #81   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 02:01

BF:

Good Morning to all,
Glorooster, at our age when the son cooks a feast you'd be heartless not to partake, lol. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your Mother's Day and even enlisted help on your cleaning project.
PandaGramy, I have a feeling that your DH wanted to surprise you with the winnings and it backfired on him. He didn't know the stress you were feeling and resentment you'd been feeling about the trip. You were just as aggravated at the winning as you would have been at the loosing because of how he handled it. Hopefully part of the money can be spent on a nice evening for the two of you or something that you'd like right now and couldn't have. Or a nest egg since things are slow. Those unexpected bills have a way of making a good day go away. Got the insurance bill for the motorcycles, while it's not due until later in the month it is almost $800. Time to look under the couch cushions, lol.
Since I've been better about LC I'm not getting tired at night. It has always been this way. Don't know if any of you went on the grapefruit diet years ago. It was basically grapefruit and meat, I only slept a couple hours a night during the time I was on it. Got a lot done because the house had 4 different stories so I could be off in one of them while everyone else was sleeping. Did a lot of sewing in the basement.
Hope everyone has a pleasant day ahead. N2L
  #82   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 06:56

Plan: counting carbs
Stats: 200/188/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Happy Day from your Hoosier Bud. The sun actually shined a little bit earlier today, however it is now cloudy and dreary again. I was dizzy yesterday....not enough to keep me from working around the house, but it did slow me down a little bit. Windy & I did get the sun room all cleaned....all the walls, all the furniture, all the plants and decorations and of course ALL the many windows inside and out. So happy it is done. We will be getting new carpet out there soon, as well as our bedroom!! The sun room carpet was just cheap stuff when we had the room added.....a thin dark green that is not glued down...and the seam shows across etc. & it has a couple wrinkles. We have decided NOW is the time to replace it. We usually got all our carpet at a carpet store in a near-by town....very nice place. However, Windy's brother & wife got some nice carpet at Lowe's....so we went over to see what they had. What was neat, for just a couple days they were offering FREE installation---so we bit the hook and ordered carpet for both the sun room AND our bedroom. I love the carpet in the BR, but it is light--cream colored...and shows all the tracks and we can't get it clean. It isn't that old, but this new will be so much nicer---our walls are painted "wheat"--a light gold and this new carpet is tannsh-gold with speckles.....I just dread emptying both rooms of everything....cleaning the closet floors etc. UGH!!!

Today, Windy (name Winston..shortened by his Dad when he was little) is dizzy and was hoping to go Golfing with the Geezers!!! Don't know if he will be able to go or not. Wonder what that is? Can you catch dizziness????

Pam, I am so sorry you have had this stress. My thoughtsis that Rich needs to get that full-time job at the hotel (is that still the plan???) so he can help with the bills before he runs off to play and gamble away whatever $$$ you may have. Maybe you need to check out a nice condo or villa and sell your home (yes prices are not good but it would help financally, wouldn't it??).

MYRT---won't be long you will be taking off for points west.....hope you keep in touch along the way. I LOVE traveling....and being in a RV would be such fun (except paying at the pump!!!!) and we gals want to hear each day where you are, what you are seeing etc. Okay????

MEG....your info was a bit more than this old Geezer needed to know with my morning coffee--hahahahhahahahaha!!! I am not going to make any more comments.....Sorry you aren't able to get out and about much.....walking every day would be a real help for weight, but most of all circulation, blood pressure, etc. Even if you can only just walk 1/2 block at first....give it a try.

N2L I don't have any idea why you would be awake so much--the that will catch up with you--you need good sleep. Glad you are doing well on LC!!

Glo...what a wonderful Mom's Day you had....I am so happy you could be with your family and have such a special meal prepared for you---it was much better than going out!!

We had a great day....our kids met us at a near-by resort restaurant called Bearcreek Farms.....they have a live show theater (didn't go to that, but we are going to see Brenda Lee there in Sept, with my cousin & hubby) and a campground and beautiful restaurant with many areas of gifts to buy etc. Then, the kids came out here for a while to give me my gifts.
www.bearcreekfarms.com

Well, I need to scoot, and get busy. This morning's coffee is:
"Pride of the Smokies" which I get from Gatlinburg -- a neat little coffee shop downthown. They have a mail-order business also.

Sending all love from NE Indiana! Vicki (N2L--what is your first name?) xoxooxxo
  #83   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 07:17

BF:

My DIL couldn't come yesterday,supposely coming today,cleaned somemore yesterday was so tired went to bed early and slept til 8 this morning,wow I guess I needed it.You better believe it N2L,when my kids want to cook for me I'll be there,don't care if it's hotdogs and beans lol,I've done more than my share over the years,and still do.Meg,don't know what kind of vibrator you are speaking of but if it's what I am thinking(bob)you go girl!!! Pam I would of killed Rich,I'm sure he wanted to surprise you (if it would of been my dh he wouldn't of even told me )but the stress is so not worth it,I swear stress will kill you,I even think it causes cancer(my thought) and alot of other physical issues,no more games for me at this stage of my life,feel bad for you Pam normal problems are hard enough to deal with without added stress.Running a business is hard enough,and especially if it seems you are the only one worried.Having a hard time getting back on plan,had a piece of cheese danish (yes that I bought)...oh well I will get there again...enough of my soap box back to my cleaning,hope all have a good productive day!
  #84   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 07:27

BF:

Vicki I just read what you wrote today,you must have been writing while I was writing, just wanted to tell you I saw Brenda Lee last year great show! She is short and chunky and voice not quite the same as when she was younger,but she was still very good while growing up her and Connie Francis were my favorites!
  #85   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 09:26

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

>> MEG....your info was a bit more than this old Geezer needed to know with my morning coffee--hahahahhahahahaha!!! I am not going to make any more comments.....Sorry you aren't able to get out and about much.....walking every day would be a real help for weight, but most of all circulation, blood pressure, etc. Even if you can only just walk 1/2 block at first....give it a try. <<

Okay, then, I'll unsubscribe now and move on. I'm not willing to follow the unspoken-until-too-late rules for approved topics and unable to follow them for approved amounts of exercise. Bye ladies, have a good time.

Meg
  #86   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 05:52

Plan: counting carbs
Stats: 200/188/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Whoa....wow, didn't know I opened a can of worms here....that was certainly NOT intended!!! I have not made any rules here...but I did take that 'topic' as rather funny with my coffee. I guess it was so 'personal' that I was just surprised it was put out here on this public forum. Sorry I was the cause for someone to just up and leave.....I would never ever do that!!!! I would rather leave myself than cause anyone else to go!!!

We had sun yesterday morning and then storms in the afternoon AGAIN!!! We are SO sick of the rain...and according to our forecast.....it isn't gonna quit for quite a while!! We had hard rain and 2 different hail storms!!! Only was about quarter-sized but you should have heard it hit the sun room roof!!! LOUD!!!! I hope my flowers (we have a bundle of them out there) aren't shredded!! Will check them this morning!!

Today I am heading to our finished basement---going to wash down the 1/2-bath and both bedrooms (walls, woodwork). This next week-end our church is having its 50th Anniversary Celebration. A former pastor & wife will be staying here, and will be downstairs so I just want to spruce it all up a bit....I don't think the walls, etc. are terribly dirty, but just want it all clean and fresh. Will spray Lysol or Febreze under the bed also.

Well, today's coffee is Cinnamon Spice (I mix 1/2 with Folger's decaf so it's not too strong of a flavor and the expensive flavored coffee lasts longer--still has a good taste).

Everyone, have a great Middle-of the Week Day!! And, again, so sorry to have chased away our new member. Hope she will come back...just maybe not talk about something quite so "personal"?? My opinion, not speaking for all of you!!

Happy Wishes for everything good to all of you!! Your Hoosier Bud, Vicki
  #87   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 07:13

Plan: none
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 5'7'
BF:
Progress: 35%

Good Morning! Nice morning here-although it's warming up quick here! Going out to dinner with some friends here from IL. Guess where, Vicki-Rotten Ralphs-LOL! She wants fried clams!

I am happy to report that while, I'm not doing LC, my eating is the most under control it's been for a long time. I am actually able to control the reflux at the moment with my eating. Hopefully, the payoff will be weightloss. My BP is finally starting to come down with the increased med dose.

Have a great day.
  #88   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 07:18

BF:

Good morning,Vicki I wrote to Meg in her journal and asked her to come back, I feel bad and I know you did not and would not want anyone to leave here,I personally feel everyone has the right to say what they want,if it is something I don't care to hear I will process out,the same if I would say something that may offend someone else,I would hope they would do the same,enough said...if she comes back great if not oh well.Dil came over yesterday and was such a big help,we got alot accomplished,not much left to do,not doing windows til this pollen settles down....green film on everything yuck.Not eating on plan,had Grandson last night,too tired to cook, ordered pizza,treat for both of us lol and it was delish!! It's going to be a beautiful day today,going to get out need to go to pharmacy and get a couple rx's and need a few things at the store,I'll continue tomorrow with cleaning ,it will still be there lol but it sure looks so good every thing sparkling and smells so good.hagd Glo
  #89   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 19:35

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

N2L---I remember the grapefruit diet. I googled it one night and there it was on line. I'd never do it again. I was successful about 20# worth and then my gut just couldn't take it. I was so gloated and full of gas and I just plain hurt. I've found out since then that I'm allergic to citrus. I can stand lemon juice in my iced tea and that's about it. I can't take Vit C at 500 mg, just the amt that comes in a multivitamin and all the sport drinks and carbonated beverages, low cal drinks have citric acid and I can't tolerate it. That was a good diet and if it weren't for the grapefruit it would have been low carb, huh?

I'll keep in touch all I can while I'm gone on our trip. It's going to be fun. I'm going to do better on food this year, too. Last year we had just married and getting more acquainted with what we want to eat together. I did awful in the buffets---especially in Las Vegas. We'll be going there because of relatives. My nephew li es there and his cancer is pretty bad. ^This will probably be the last time we see him.

Speaking of cancer, we went up to the Veteran's hospital in
Temple, TX today to visit an old friend of DH's. He's in his last days of liver cancer. Somehow he's managed to live with it 20 years but no medicine is working anymore. It was a hard thing to see. Their daughter is arriving tonight to help her mother. I think she plans to stay about 3 months. The wife is Korean and a USA citizen but her extended family is in South Korea. It's hard to not have relatives around at a time like this.

I ate a lunch today that included deserts, my cold is worse and I'm worn out. I was going to have rice for supper to just conclude a hard day. Instead, I went out in the kitchen and salvaged enough veggies to make a salad, opened a can of sardines (I'm Scandinavian) and had it with some new low carb bread I got at Walmart tonight. I got started on an antibiotic tonight so I should feel good in a couple days. I had a good breakfast today and it was just lunch dessert that wasn't good. Take care, myrt
  #90   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 00:14

BF:

Good Night, lol. It seems I'm always writing when I should be in bed. Wow it was hot today, the humidity made it worse. The claims adjusters that came down from the Northern states are complaining about the heat and their clothing is soaked. As hot as it feels now will not compare with how my body felt when we first moved here. I wouldn't step out of the house except to get in my air conditioned car and go to my air conditioned office. Moving here from Denver area which had very little humidity and fewer high temperatures took a long adjustment period.
Have a stress test in a.m. and echo in afternoon. I had a really bad period yesterday morning and when I went for my doctor's appointment was still reeling from it. Had another in the afternoon, and then last night. Am wiped out from them. It's like hypoglycemia, yet my blood sugars test within the normal range. Now when I first went on my shots since I'd had such high sugars I felt hypo even when in the 200-250 range. I've been able to tolerate lower and lower sugars until around 100 is perfect now. My doctor was concerned as was I. She teared up because I was feeling really bad, normally am a "up" person. Know she cares, but she is so busy and hard to get into seeing her personally. End up with the nurse practitioner if a same day visit is required and it is usually the one I don't like so just don't make an appointment. It takes 3 months to get into my doctor. So now have lots of specialists to see here that I've avoided due to costs. I believe it will end up being the heat or maybe it was a hypo reaction even if in normal range.
My flowers are so beautiful. I hadn't wanted to plant them so early and they looked pretty pitiful for awhile with the storms and colder temperatures. They are great now and shooting up. I do have some pansies that the color has faded drastically, they must need some nutrient that I have put in that soil. Planted some in a spot that nothing survives because of all the concrete from driveway and sidewalk (I think).
My DD's surgery is set for June 15. Think that is a good sign, if her melanoma had been further developed wouldn't they have set the surgery up for sooner? Know with my pancreatic cancer it was set for 2 days away even though that was over Christmas that year. So she will be moving into another home, same subdivision and the day they need to be completely out of the one they are in now will be the day of surgery. She'd thought she'd like to have prior to June 7 when my DGD gets out of school for the summer.
Today was my husband's birthday. We'd planned to go out to eat, but with the heat he said he didn't want to drive across town just to eat. We talked about going on our side of town but neither of us had a craving for anything over here. Ended up getting take out from Outback. We both had salads, mine was grilled chicken and his was grilled tuna. Our greens were totally different. I'm glad I got the chicken. Couldn't eat much. Got him a chocolate thunder from down under for his "birthday cake". Spent the evening watching our regular TV shows. Guess after 69 birthdays and the events of last couple years it just wasn't a big deal. Don't know if the kids called him or not. He's not much of a talker and I get tired of asking questions.
Last night Austin (the puppy) and I were outside about this time. It was so perfect. We have a glider on front porch, there was a little breeze, and I'd grabbed a forbidden Pepsi with ice and sat in the glider while he chased the bugs from the garage light. Think it's time to repeat except for the Pepsi, will need to rise early for stress test. Hope your weather is pleasant and things go well for the day ahead of you. Keep the coffee going and I'll have my iced tea with you after the test, can't eat or drink prior to it. N2L

Last edited by never2late : Thu, May-12-11 at 00:21.
Closed Thread