Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-11, 19:49

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 270/232/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:Yes, unfortunately
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerva200
Are any of you who do intermittant fasting type 2 diabetics?

I struggle with my morning blood sugars and will likely end up on a basal insulin at my next dr visit. As I understand it, prolonged fasting causes the liver to start making glucose to keep the system going and if, as a diabetic, you don't have insulin there to deal with it or enough insulin or are very resistant, your sugar climbs and that bath of glucose is toxic to what beta cells you might have as functional.

I don't do intermittent fasting, but I did eliminate snacking. My BGs were difficult to control when I was snacking. They were in the "normal postprandial" range all the time, but never normal fasting range. My sugars are highest first thing in the a.m. because of liver issues. I try to eat every five hours (so overnight is obviously a bit longer than that). I do have a yogurt right before bed with Glumetza and this seems to be helping out. My BGs are quite a bit lower after I eat in the a.m. than before and not snacking throughout the day allows my BG to get into the normal range.

It's funny, because this is not how "they" tell you to eat when you're diabetic. I tried it "their" way with 3 meals and 3 snacks and it just didn't work. Eating breakfast is the most important thing for me though to keeping things good throughout the day. If I go more than five hours, the BG does start to creep up.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-11, 21:36

Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%

I eat 2 meals a day as well. I really find I am not hungry enough to go for 3 even if they are small meals. I haven't snacked in a long time, maybe years.

I am finding that I can't tolerate more than 24 carbs in a day because if I eat anymore than that, I start getting hungry and eat more, more, more!

Still loving the coconut oil too.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-11, 01:44

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechShelly
When I skip a meal, I fall right out of ketosis.

That's odd because the purpose of ketosis is to support the body in days of famine. Having an abundance of food as we have today, is actually new when compared to the days of old when we had to hunt for our food. We had no refrigeration or means of preserving food. The concept of eating 3 meals a day with in-between snacks is a new concept. Having restaurants at every corner is also a new concept.

The body should go right into ketosis when you are fasting.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-11, 01:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerva200
Are any of you who do intermittant fasting type 2 diabetics?

I struggle with my morning blood sugars and will likely end up on a basal insulin at my next dr visit. As I understand it, prolonged fasting causes the liver to start making glucose to keep the system going and if, as a diabetic, you don't have insulin there to deal with it or enough insulin or are very resistant, your sugar climbs and that bath of glucose is toxic to what beta cells you might have as functional.

I don't want to mess my system up any more but I'd like to hear from any type 2 (or type 1s) that may have tried this and their results/blood sugar profiles.

I was diagnosed pre-diabetic a year ago. I have been combining IF and low carb for years and use both means to control my blood glucose. My diet is very low carb now, almost primal. I also support my diet with foods rich in mgnesium plus I take ionic magnesium as a supplement. I have been able to keep my blood glucose almost completely within the normal range. I also take vitamin D3.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-11, 05:27

Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I was diagnosed pre-diabetic a year ago. I have been combining IF and low carb for years and use both means to control my blood glucose. My diet is very low carb now, almost primal. I also support my diet with foods rich in mgnesium plus I take ionic magnesium as a supplement. I have been able to keep my blood glucose almost completely within the normal range. I also take vitamin D3.

I'm combining low carb and Weight Watchers. I do have diabetes and high blood pressure so eating low carb is helping with that. Having a few carbs, around 24, does give me more enthusiasm for this way of eating along with the weight loss of being low carb.

I can't stay primal for very long, I start getting disgusted with meats and fats. Adding some carbs that are not necessarily always veggies gives me a lift spiritually, I'm happier.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 08:13
Registered Member

Plan: low-cal/low-carb
Stats: 271/115/115 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've found it almost impossible to eliminate snacking.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 08:26

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I am a type I diabetic.
And I snack.

I wish I didn't! When I do not snack, I lose weight much more easily- I usually eat lunch and dinner and coffee with HWC for breakfast.

On days I snack, I often graze so much I don't want dinner, and end up eating more than I would have if I had a proper meal to start with! I work erratic hours and am in grad school some nights, so it's a bad pattern I need to get of- last semester in school- hooray!

Anyway, I have better BGs without snacking as well. But some of that might be the fact a handful of nuts here, a boiled egg there, 3 pieces of string cheese, etc...really add up, but I don't notice how much food it is, because I am grazing....
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 09:52
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I do not snack 99% of the time.

(I do not have a health issue that may or may not require snacking.)

I was raised in a home where there was very little snacking activity and desserts were available only on Sundays. We all survived quite well on three home cooked meals per day.

After I left home and began a career, I began snacking, and that is when I started gaining weight.

I personally don't see much point in snacking if I am eating and adequate amount of nourishing food at mealtime.

It seems ingrained in our culture that adults and children must snack or they will die, or go off their diet, or get cranky, etc. IMO, the real reason behind snacking (for non-low carb folks) is carb and sugar addiction. If they ate less carbs/sugar, and ate real food instead at mealtime, it might help change that behavior.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 10:38

Plan: General LC (was Atkins)
Stats: 168/145.8/155 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:32%/24%/?
Progress: 171%

I'm curious... Do you think coffee w/ cream & maybe CO counts as a snack as far as enzymes, digestive track rest, etc. are concerned? I don't snack on food at all, but I do drink about 3 cups of coffee through the morning (half-caff blend).

I am interested in trying IF, and wondering if I can have my coffee or not so much. Guess I could test my BGL and see what it's doing in terms of insulin response...
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 11:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FowlFiend
I'm curious... Do you think coffee w/ cream & maybe CO counts as a snack as far as enzymes, digestive track rest, etc. are concerned? I don't snack on food at all, but I do drink about 3 cups of coffee through the morning (half-caff blend).

I am interested in trying IF, and wondering if I can have my coffee or not so much. Guess I could test my BGL and see what it's doing in terms of insulin response...

I believe that if you are on a diet ( low carb ) that addresses insulin/glucose issues you should be testing if you can stand the investment. It's a bonus to know what food is doing to your insides and it helps you to understand your insulin response better. Also you can tell which low carb foods have a more neutral affect on glucose and which ones do not. CO and MCT oils < I believe are the best choices during fasting. Fasting is ketogenic. MCT oil, for example by-passes most digestive passages and is instantly metabolized into ketones. It is highly energy producing and works pretty much like Popeye's can of spinach. You are consuming calories but they have a purpose that supports ketosis.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 12:54

Plan: General LC (was Atkins)
Stats: 168/145.8/155 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:32%/24%/?
Progress: 171%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I believe that if you are on a diet ( low carb ) that addresses insulin/glucose issues you should be testing if you can stand the investment. It's a bonus to know what food is doing to your insides and it helps you to understand your insulin response better. Also you can tell which low carb foods have a more neutral affect on glucose and which ones do not. CO and MCT oils < I believe are the best choices during fasting. Fasting is ketogenic. MCT oil, for example by-passes most digestive passages and is instantly metabolized into ketones. It is highly energy producing and works pretty much like Popeye's can of spinach. You are consuming calories but they have a purpose that supports ketosis.

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Black. Good to know CO may work just fine when fasting. I'd like to have a little extra energy in my tank before I go walk in the morning, and I felt fine this morning with just a bit of CO and HWC in my coffee. Just got home and had a big breakfast - eggs, bacon, and a 'muffin' w/ the fixings - ~900 calories of deliciousness. I'm going to check in an hour and see what my BGL is doing. Trying the 2 meals routine today to see if the shoe fits.

I kind of think that the amount of walking/hiking I've been doing (~6 miles or so) may be stalling me a titch. I know for sure that when I run, I can't lose weight. So I'd like to try some shorter walk days + IF to shake the tree.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 17:47
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I haven't really snacked mid-morning or mid afternoon from day one on my Atkins regimen. If I snacked, it was around 10pm or later, if I stayed up that late. That's pretty much my pattern now as well, two years into this. But I was never really much of a snacker on ANY eating regimen, even before gaining weight and dieting.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 03:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Bumping it...

It's four months later and I'm still at the 2 meals a day - skipping breakfast configuration. Scale hasn't budged, but the pants; them pants are looser!

In winter, I wanted baked goodies I made with protein powder and almond flour. Now, in summer, I don't want those any more; I want some fruit! Which seems to work okay, especially my favorite, berries.

So I'm a happy camper.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 05:54
Keepin' It Real

Plan: IF
Stats: 250/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I'm glad you brought this forward, WereBear. This is an excellent thread.

I, too, love to eat only two meals. And I, too, am loving the summer fruit, lots of berries. I've read a lot about how fruit should be eaten alone for best digestion. I've also read that carbs should be eaten with protein and/or fat. I can't decide what is true and what is myth. If I eat fruit alone, I end up with 3 meals, because fruit doesn't satisfy for long.

Do you have any input on this, scientific or otherwise?
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 07:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSojrn
I've read a lot about how fruit should be eaten alone for best digestion. I've also read that carbs should be eaten with protein and/or fat. I can't decide what is true and what is myth. If I eat fruit alone, I end up with 3 meals, because fruit doesn't satisfy for long.

Do you have any input on this, scientific or otherwise?

I'm familiar with the concept of food combining; but I never got it to make sense to me. My search for some kind of scientific underpinning resulted only in this belief being decried as a myth.

I eat fruit with meals for same reason I clump all my food into two meals. Any carbs get buffered by the protein and fat; and have less of an insulin impact.

That has become my guiding principle.