Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 07:55

Plan: Less than 30 grams a day
Stats: 259/241/155 Female 69 inches
BF:Yes
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1492
Way to go Patina!! thanks for your kind words...I am so glad you stopped taking the statin...

Thomas...you'll be glad to know then that on Wednesday I saw my doc to go over my latest A1c results and she wanted to put me back on a statin! I told her there is no way I'm going back on a statin and basically told her, you can prescribe it but I won't fill it.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
...Sometimes we have to do whats best for us, listening to our inner self, and go with what we think is right...

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for your words. I think you're right about it's okay to listen to that inner voice because more often than not it turns out we should have listened to it. I think we often do want some "expert" to give us the answer to our problem(s) but I think the reality is that we have a responsibility to also try and find it on our own so we can understand it instead of blindly taking another person's advice all the time. We know ourselves better than anyone else.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne2
*snip*

We've been going back and forth about this a lot lately in various threads, and it's a matter of opinion on whether to be up-front about it--it's basically how much crap you're willing to take. I finally got confident enough to talk about it around my coworkers, and I've been regretting it ever since. So the word 'mistake' here resonated with me. I definitely feel it was a mistake for me. Life's too short to set yourself up for that kind of uphill battle on a daily basis.

YMMV.

Well in just a week's time I've come to agree with you. I don't want to spend my time defending myself to others just because what I'm choosing to do is not their cup of tea. I'm not out to convince anyone that what I'm doing is what they should be doing!

I also think it takes a certain type of person to be able to open their mind up to the possibility that there could be a different way other than the highway as they know it ...ya know what I mean?

So many people aren't even open to hearing about a possible alternative to their reality let alone learning about it.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 20:22

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Quote:
I also think it takes a certain type of person to be able to open their mind up to the possibility that there could be a different way other than the highway as they know it ...ya know what I mean?

So many people aren't even open to hearing about a possible alternative to their reality let alone learning about it.

I wrote this last month in a friend's journal and I thought you might like it...
Quote:
.I'm going to try and explain my way of looking at things and hope it makes sense to you..I think the most important part was getting educated,by researching foods and diet,looking at all the methods and ideas put forth has allowed me to gain a firm understanding of why I shouldn't eat certain things and the results if I do..
You ask "Why can't I eat normal foods like a normal person?" and I answer to that,we were never supposed to be eating those foods in the first place...What you are actually seeing is ABNORMAL people eating ABNORMAL foods...Our ancestors ate whatever they could hunt or forage for..It was only 10,000 years ago that we started agriculture and growing crops to feed massive populations..It was the Egyptians who mastered agriculture and it was a way to feed the slave population...Even to this day we feed third world countries with cheap agricultural products.It is merely a way to feed the poor,and those who cannot hunt or forage for themselves..Here we are ,wealthy compared to most of the world and we are consuming huge amounts of slave food...Rice,wheat,corn,potatoes...These foods were intended for animals,not for humans...Sugar was not consumed in large quantities until the 1800's!!!We needed modern machinery to extract from sugar cane and sugar beets the amounts for the average person to have to use!Our ancestors only had raw honey and the occasional berry to eat,not value packs of Snicker bars from Walmart!I don't see the things I have mentioned as food I wish I could have,but rather as poison which got me to where I was,and that will kill me or leave me with a life of pain and Illness...Maybe you all just need to listen to some Robb Wolf podcasts and Paleo authors ,check out the Dirty Carnivore forum,watch some YouTube videos from Underground Wellness..They all help to change your mentality from,"Oh how I wish I could eat some Oreo Cookies.." to "Oreos?!?..Get that poison away from me..blech..." Just my thoughts...

P.S. I had a thought today,and it made me want to come back and add to this..
For those who have seen the Matrix movies ,there is a correlation between the plot of that movie and proper diet and nutrition..You have a choice ..the red pill or the blue...Once you take the red pill, you are awakened to the lies and deceptions of the "Matrix"(Big Pharma,NHI,WHO,ConAgra,Monsanto,ArcherDaniels Midland,ADA,AMA,USDA,Kellogg's,Post,Nabisco,etc..etc..)and you see the lie you have been living and it is a tremendous revelation..
So I feel like Neo...I have seen the Matrix....And I now know the truth..So it is heart wrenching to me to observe those who are still believing and trusting the "Machine"..And it is even worse when you give people the red pill and they see for themselves ...but only to take the blue pill...and drift off to familiar slumber.While their body and mind deteriorates and weakens from the abuse of the "Matrix"..
And then I also look at my friends who are like the traitor in the movie who is tired of eating the same food over and over and just longs to taste his favorite foods again and tries to make a deal knowing full well the truth..The meal isn't real...It's all in your mind...
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 07:51

Quote:
For those who have seen the Matrix movies ,there is a correlation between the plot of that movie and proper diet and nutrition..You have a choice ..the red pill or the blue...Once you take the red pill, you are awakened to the lies and deceptions of the "Matrix"(Big Pharma,NHI,WHO,ConAgra,Monsanto,ArcherDaniels Midland,ADA,AMA,USDA,Kellogg's,Post,Nabisco,etc..etc..)and you see the lie you have been living and it is a tremendous revelationt...

Thanks for sharing the journal post. I like your analogy of the Matix movies and the choice of the red or blue pill. It's so true! Not only in relation to food choices but so many other things in life.

My analogy is this: I've heard anti-freeze tastes sweet as it has glycol in it which is deceiving because the sweetness masks the fact that it is poisonous. If you tasted a little of it you'd probably feel sick later but if you drank a little bit of it everyday, it would eventually kill you. So the fact that it tastes good is not a justification to put it in your body. We don't ingest anti-freeze because we know it can kill us because we have been EDUCATED of its toxicity and effect on the human body.

With all the reading and self-educating I've been doing lately about the effect of carbs and refined sugar on the human body (and especially my body), I have come to view them in the same light I view ingesting anti-freeze which is DON"T DO IT! Eating a lot of carbs every day makes me feel sick and eating a lot of them over time will be the end of me because of the toxicity they create in my body. And how do I know they are toxic for me even though they taste really good? Because I have a blood glucose meter I use several times a day that SHOWS me what ingesting carbs is doing to me.

Thinking this way keeps me in check and keeps carbs at bay. Now can you just see trying to explain all this to someone who already has their mind made up that it is just plain stupid to compare carbs to anti-freeze because they know anti-freeze is bad but they love their carbs?? Probably not going to be a good conversation so I've decided to just not go there and even try to explain it.

All I know is I am so glad that *I* am the type that is willing to continue learning and open to alternatives and points of view I may not initially agree with, not just regarding food but all sorts of things. How do we ever improve if we refuse to learn and change?
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 08:09

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 308/286/999 Female 5 feet nine inches
BF:
Progress: -3%

Wow Patina what a story!

First of all can I just say how much I haaaaate Weight Watchers? Really, I do! I know some people for whom it's worked well (like my bf's mom and his grandma, who both actually really get into all the point calculating, something I could never do!), and I know it's basically painted as 'the good diet' but they are still part of the diet industry, something which I am not a huge fan of. And of course I've been a WW member more than a few times! Nowadays I go out of my way not purchase any WW products. OK rant over!

I just wanted to say, and this is thirdhand advice, but I have a very good friend who is a doctor and believes low carb is 'the only thing that works' with weight loss. He has had people say to him 'but low carb is bad for your kidneys' and his response to that is it CAN be... but only if you are not really eating ANY fruits or vegetables.

I myself am no doctor but it is interesting that after a month of carb eating your kidney stopped bleeding. I wonder if perhaps for you, it's important to make sure you are getting enough vegetables and possibly even a little bit of fruit? I suspect there is a right amount of carbs for you that is low enough to continue your weight loss but high enough to keep your kidneys happy. Just my two cents of course.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherielabo
I just wanted to say, and this is thirdhand advice, but I have a very good friend who is a doctor and believes low carb is 'the only thing that works' with weight loss. He has had people say to him 'but low carb is bad for your kidneys' and his response to that is it CAN be... but only if you are not really eating ANY fruits or vegetables.

Well on the kidney thing, in retrospect I wasn't eating enough veggies and most importantly, I wasn't drinking near enough plain water. I drank coffee as my primary thirst quencher and as we all know, that does not count as water. Also, my kidney bled two more times after I had gone back to eating carbs and I still wasn't drinking enough water but I still don't think carbs were the cause nor the cure.

It's good that your doctor friend realizes weightloss is not a "one size fits all" endeavor. I visited my doc last Wednesday and in a round about way let her know I was doing low carb. She finally admitted that "for reasons which we still don't understand, low carb does work for some people." That's all I got out of her on the subject and then she proceeded to tell me I need to go back on statins for my cholesterol which I respectfully declined.

Later, I realized that it's hard to get doctors to openly support patients on low carb living and I think the reason is because it is not yet accepted as a viable means of weightloss and weight management in the medical mainstream and therefore they cannot openly advocate it because they open themselves to lawsuits if anything goes wrong with the patient. So you have the patient saying "but my doctor told me low carb eating was okay!" and you have the doctor having to stand up in court and defend a not well accepted or understood approach to weightloss. Can you just imagine the parade of medical experts into the courtroom to testify against that doctor as practicing "unproven" or "junk" science? No wonder doctors advise us NOT to do low carb even if they happen to be well educated on the subject and believe in it!!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 08:44

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 308/286/999 Female 5 feet nine inches
BF:
Progress: -3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patina

Can you just imagine the parade of medical experts into the courtroom to testify against that doctor as practicing "unproven" or "junk" science? No wonder doctors advise us NOT to do low carb even if they happen to be well educated on the subject and believe in it!!

Well, I think part of this is down to the fact that money talks and quite a bit of the money in research for weight loss is behind the low fat/high carb plan. Plus the academics who research this stuff can get mightily attached to their theories even in the face of evidence to the contrary. Add to that the overwhelming belief that "all you need to do to lose weight is eat less and move more!" which not only the general public but many doctors (many of whom have never had weight issues I might add) believe in so strongly that many don't even CONSIDER that there might be another solution to weight loss. And of course those of us who have tried the 'eat less and move more!' plan many many times, as I have and you have, know that it's not quite that simple.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 10:05

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/218/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Definitely!
Progress: 38%

Quote:
... the overwhelming belief that "all you need to do to lose weight is eat less and move more!" which not only the general public but many doctors (many of whom have never had weight issues I might add) believe in so strongly that many don't even CONSIDER that there might be another solution to weight loss.

And that was what happened to me. Doc got the script pad out for a statin. I refused (not so respectfully, I might add). I asked what I had to do. Answer? Waaaaiiiiiit foooor iiiiiittttt .... "EAT LESS and EXERCISE MORE." Doc, of course, is athletic and wafer-thin. I told her that if, after 4 months, my numbers weren't better, I'd consider a statin. (Ha ha consider it stupid! )

I went home, angry and upset, and hit google. Everything that I was reading (that made sense) was low carb. I just did it. Four months later, I went back to the doc (to consider a statin?). Surprise! Numbers just fine ... "no reason to medicate".

Then she popped the big question: what had I been doing? The look on her face when I said "low carb"! At least she had the grace to concede: "Well whatever you're doing seems to be working, so keep doing it". That was as close as she got to an endorsement, but it was good enough for me.

Now what I tell everyone is that I eat a "balanced diet with plenty of vegetables". ... that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 15:22

Thank you for the kind words on my post Patina..I recently took Bob Dylan's song "Only a pawn in the game"..and I wrote the following lyrics in my Journal..
Quote:
Today a widow laid her husband to rest..
The people all mourned with her too..
He had cardiac arrest ,his heart had stopped in his chest,he was fifty years old,
He had so much to give,if only he'd lived
but he'd been told it's okay..To eat grains everyday,and so the price he has paid..

Only a pawn in the game.....

A young mother pushes her cart through the grocery store..
She wants to be a good mom..
But her kids they all scream for sweets and ice cream,so she fills up her cart,
Tho she knows in her heart,
That it's not very smart,
but she does it the same,and her kids get their way....
but she's only a pawn in the game...

The doctor sits across from the patient in the examining room..
He picks up his pad and his pen...
It seems that you need, some treatment you see,
So here are some pills..
They should help with your ills...
because I don't have the time,
to study and find,
what may be to blame ..
for why your so sick today..
Please pay out on your way..
and come back in ten days...and all I can say..
Is he's only a pawn ,,,in the game...

The politician needs money to run...
The corporations are willing to give...
But they make it so clear..
and make sure that he hears...
To protect their vast greed,
their money making machine...
No matter what cost...at the price of what's lost..
let them all die...who bought our big lie..
they should never believe,one who deceives and who schemes..
to fill their pockets with green...
they're just a pawn.....In the game.....
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-11, 06:22

Plan: Self-styled, atkins?
Stats: 276/256/170 Male 175
BF:
Progress:
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrah
Now what I tell everyone is that I eat a "balanced diet with plenty of vegetables". ... that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

I'm glad u reversed ur "numbers" and are more healthy but I'm worried about people "hiding" the fact that they eat low-carb :P get it out there, the more people that see it works the more will question the conventional
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-11, 07:48

Quote:
Well, I think part of this is down to the fact that money talks and quite a bit of the money in research for weight loss is behind the low fat/high carb plan. Plus the academics who research this stuff can get mightily attached to their theories even in the face of evidence to the contrary. Add to that the overwhelming belief that "all you need to do to lose weight is eat less and move more!" which not only the general public but many doctors (many of whom have never had weight issues I might add) believe in so strongly that many don't even CONSIDER that there might be another solution to weight loss. And of course those of us who have tried the 'eat less and move more!' plan many many times, as I have and you have, know that it's not quite that simple.

I agree, all the above also play a huge role in the lack of support for low carbers in the medical community.

Especially the money part, can you imagine how fast WW's would change their message if the masses started moving towards a low-carb mentality. They don't have to believe in it to cash in on it.

I think I personnaly just get frustrated with is the complete refusal by people and health professionals to even try to learn more about it. I don't expect anyone to live it for themself but how can it hurt to just learn about it. But then I shouldn't forget that ignorance is bliss for many and especially for those making a profit off the low calorie-low-fat balanced eating theory.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-11, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrah
And that was what happened to me. Doc got the script pad out for a statin. I refused (not so respectfully, I might add). I asked what I had to do. Answer? Waaaaiiiiiit foooor iiiiiittttt .... "EAT LESS and EXERCISE MORE." Doc, of course, is athletic and wafer-thin. I told her that if, after 4 months, my numbers weren't better, I'd consider a statin. (Ha ha consider it stupid! )

I went home, angry and upset, and hit google. Everything that I was reading (that made sense) was low carb. I just did it. Four months later, I went back to the doc (to consider a statin?). Surprise! Numbers just fine ... "no reason to medicate".

Then she popped the big question: what had I been doing? The look on her face when I said "low carb"! At least she had the grace to concede: "Well whatever you're doing seems to be working, so keep doing it". That was as close as she got to an endorsement, but it was good enough for me.

I suspect next time I see the doc for my next A1c testing, I will have the same good results and the doc will wonder what happened. My doc kept telling me the same thing, eat less, low fat, more fruit and veggies, lean meats. Well I did all of that for the last 6 months and each time I'd go in and weigh pretty much the same and explain my frustration, I'd get a consoling pat on my shoulder and the perverbial "I know, it's very hard". My reply was "yes, it is very hard but I'm doing it and I'm not losing so what else can I try?". Guess what she would say? You guessed it..."eat less, low fat, more fruit and veggies"!!! It was absolutely maddening but I didn't know what else to try so I kept at it.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-11, 08:06

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words on my post Patina..I recently took Bob Dylan's song "Only a pawn in the game"..and I wrote the following lyrics in my Journal..

...The doctor sits across from the patient in the examining room..
He picks up his pad and his pen...
It seems that you need, some treatment you see,
So here are some pills..
They should help with your ills...
because I don't have the time,
to study and find,
what may be to blame ..
for why your so sick today..
Please pay out on your way..
and come back in ten days...and all I can say..
Is he's only a pawn ,,,in the game...

I love that part! I'm sounding anti-doctor these days but I'm really not. I've just been so frustrated with my own experience with my own doctor over the last year but only on this one issue of weightloss. It's clear what I had been doing wasn't working even though I was doing exactly what she told me the fix was.

But at the end of the day I was still fat, blood sugars still out of control, high LDL, low HDL, high triglycerides, high blood pressure... and everytime all I got from the doctor was more of the same. Not even a hint that I should try something else!! Drove me crazy!! Not to mention making it all that much harder to stick with the low-fat, eat less game when there was absolutely no measurable payoff for me.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-11, 19:45

Hey Patina !! where have you been??? 11 days since your last post!! Hope your doing well..we miss you!