Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/192/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Low-carb Breastfeeding -success so far

This is just an update on how lc breastfeeding is working out for me. My baby will be 4 months this weekend and is almost 16 lbs. He's a perfect weight, alert, active, reaching all his milestones early, and in general seems to be thriving in every way. As long as I drink enough water (same whether low carbing or not) I produce ample milk. I feel great, have plenty of energy, and .... da, da, da, da!!!!!! I've lost 11 lbs. Total since baby: 25 lbs. I lost some weight just from having the baby and shedding water, but after a month, I noticed it was starting to creep up again. So I started low carbing. Now I am only 9 lbs from pre-pregnancy weight. I lost 25 lbs right before I got pregnant, so I'll be thrilled to reach that milestone again and focus on my true goal weight.

I have to say that I'm not in as big of a hurry to get it off as I was before pregnancy. I figure, even a slow loss is in the right direction, so I allow myself an occasional break for a special occasion. Helps me enjoy them more, but I've noticed that I wake up achy, tired and grouchy after a carby day. Hubby (who doesn't get the lc thing) says it's all in my head. I say, no, it's also in my back, hips, and joints!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 12:18

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Congratulations! That is good information. I am still bf my 1yo and have been low-carbing since June. He doesn't seem to notice a difference. I stopped pumping at work (the one day a week I work) about that same time. I only bf him at bedtime, naptime and occasionally at night. He eats lots of good food and isn't too picky (unlike my 2yo daughter!).
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-10, 14:15

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Congrats! Keep up the good work.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-10, 08:23

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

That's great to hear. I'm hoping to get pregnant once I get my weight off. At 37 my clock is a ticking.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 10:42

Plan: Keto
Stats: 219/201.4/145 Female 5foot7 1/4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

my baby is 4 months old as well. im just starting a low carb diet after feeling like im totally grain and starch sensitive since she was born. im not weighing myself but my pants fit better after just a few days...

congrats on your success!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 20:11

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Aweome to hear that it can be safely done
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-11, 14:22

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Good stuff to be hearing, ladies!! I been LC'ing since before my pregnancy, and baby is 8 weeks today. Breastfeeding is going great for us too! I always try to drink aplenty, although if I don't eat enough I have noticed a *little* bit of difference in supply and I feel run down. I was very slowly losing weight when I got pregnant. Three weeks after the delivery I'd dropped the pregnancy weight and then some. My weight has been pretty stable since, so I'm not sure how my body is going to react to BF'ing. I'm not too worried about it now as long as I can keep feeding my baby the way I have been.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 16:12

Stats: 203/186/148 Female 164 cm
BF:
Progress: 31%

Have you ladies started at induction level, or maintenance?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-11, 07:18

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I'm not following Atkins, but I do try to maintain a carb intake of 20-30 grams a day
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 18:34

Stats: 215/192/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I'm doing somewhere over induction, but not by too much. I eat some strawberries, more nuts, and have an odd bite or two of more carby fruits and veggies. On a side note...he's 10 1/2 mo's now and man does he like meat. He'll gobble anything down if it has beef or chicken in it. I wonder if there's a connection to my diet or if he's just a carnivore like me.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 00:41
Registered Member

Plan: Induction, IF
Stats: 194.4/178.6/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 32%

BF'ing here too. I am only on day 5 so I am seeing a huge water weight drop and I was so scared that it would affect the milk, but so far so good! My little girl is 8 months old.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 18:47

Plan: atkins for now
Stats: 280/209.4/160 Female 5'10.5
BF:
Progress: 59%

I am so glad I found this post! My DS is 3 1/2 months old. I am an old school lowcarber, I lost close to 100 pounds about 8yrs ago. Anyway, I started low carbing last week and can already tell a difference!
I do think my milk supply has suffered but I also think my little porker is going through a growth spurt! Lol!
I'm doing around 50 g of carbs a day but may go a little lower... I'm mentally sick of this wt! It's hard to be fat after you've lost so much wt- kept it off then packed some back on!
This too shall pass...
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-11, 20:11

Plan: Atkins, hCG Diet
Stats: 168/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:30%/25%/23%
Progress: 100%

I started induction after my post pregnancy weight started creeping upwards before reaching my start weight ~ 161 (which is 15-20 lbs above where I want to be). I knew I had to make a change in how I ate and carbs were at the root of feeling out of control and guilt ridden frequently. I found my son (9 weeks old when I went VLC) had a negative reaction at first. He did not want to breast feed sometimes and my intuition said it was due to a flavor change in the milk. I was eating lots more veggies and supplementing with Super Green to boot. That several day struggle lead to a clogged duct and some pain. Ultimately, it all worked itself out and he eased up on his occasional refusal to nurse and I got unclogged luckily before infection/fever took hold. I was not concerned with the quality of breast milk but I figured it didn't taste as sweet as it did with all the carbs floating around, lol. All in all I eat way better on induction than I did 2 weeks ago so how could that be a bad thing for breast milk? That being said, each mom must use her intuition/body awareness to decided how to proceed for her and baby.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-11, 13:46

Stats: 203/186/148 Female 164 cm
BF:
Progress: 31%

Okay. I've been sitting at the same weight since I came home from the hospital 10 1/2 weeks ago. I have not been eating as I should though, so I shouldn't really complain.

I am not going to start at induction levels, because I feel horrible when I do it, and my OH works all day, so I am home alone with baby. As of today, I am cutting out all sugary junk and flour, and watching the high fruit/veggie carbs.

I know how much I can eat, so hopefully pregnancy hasn't messed with my ability to lose too much.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-11, 09:28

Plan: Atkins, hCG Diet
Stats: 168/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:30%/25%/23%
Progress: 100%

My weight loss has slowed to about 0-1lb per week, which is frustrating. I have moved up from induction levels to ~50g a day so that could have something to do with the slow down (adding back in some fruit, nuts, and occasional slice of bread). I still have 18 lbs to go so I would prefer a faster loss pattern but I will be content getting down 10 for now and the last 8 after I stop BF as I hear that keeps some weight on no matter what you do. I may take the nuts out of my diets as I also hear those can be trouble. Good luck mommas! It is a mental war with the inner critic after having a baby to come to a place of self love sometimes.