Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#76   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 13:38

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 195/135/144 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 118%

Magnesium will take care of the constipation issue; it does other things too and most of us are deficient in it. The powdered kind is best-- most easily absorbed by the body. I get it at the health food store and the brand name is CALM.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 16:49

Plan: Carb Addicts Diet (CAD)
Stats: 327/318/220 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hello all. Just checking in. Im fighting a really bad sinus head cold so Im kinda on the down low right now. Will check back in a day or two.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-10, 12:20
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
hope you feel better soon!

Had chili, salad, green beans and frozen yogurt for RM last night. Yum. I am trying to get the frozen yogurt out of my system!!

Today I am going out to dinner with a few friends. Have I ever mentioned I HATE going out to eat with a group of women??????
I agreed to this before I was told it was 5 other women! Oh well.
I don't know what I will get, as I have never been to this restaurant. I might try to google the menu before. Sigh.

later-
E
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 15:05
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts/Hellers
Stats: 293/218/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Ketosis

Greetings fellow CADDERS,
I love this forum!
So in my journal (I think....I'm not sure how to get there!) I confessed how much I have been eating (A LOT). But, when I stick strictly with the program I still lose weight.
Anyway, does anyone else check for ketones? I have definitely got the
"Atkins Dragon Breath" going on, and when I urinate on a stick, I am excreting ketones. I do love purple. I am totally OK with this, as I think ketones suppress hunger, sneak calories out, keep you in fat burning mode, etc. I just think that it is interesting that I eat ALOT of carbs during my RM (we call it the "buffalo hour" at my house) and as long as I keep the timing down less than an hour, I still start having bad breath by about 10 am the next day. I have done Atkins many times in the past, but eventually always cracked and ate chocolate cake. Before CAD, that was it and I would binge back up to above my previous weight. The reward meal is what makes this a workable diet for me, but I do like being in ketosis and am just considering this a bonus.
Anyone else experience this? Marcy
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 15:45

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

RDRWRTR, can you advise how much magnesium is good to take. I take calcium/magnesium, which I would like to use up before looking into the powder. Mine have 333 mg of calcium and 167 mg of magnesium.
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 04:47

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Still no change in weight, bouncing between 300-302. No change in the other issue either...*sigh* I had a big bowl of raisin bran for my RM last night.. that might help.
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 08:34
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 287.4/287.4/199 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Down to 271 now- woo hoo! I've stayed there for a couple of days now. I didn't want to say anything until I knew it was official. 13 pounds gone since August 10, to which two of those weeks I had to stop the diet because of circumstances beyond my control, which caused me to gain back 6 of the pounds I lost.

It took me a couple of weeks to lose those pounds again- I'm sure most of it was sodium, seeing that we ate out several times during those two weeks. I'm so glad to be back on this diet again. I feel much better when I stick to it- I'm not hungry or tired all the time anymore, and that is a HUGE help to me. I can remember some afternoons wanting a nap because I was so tired from eating carbs with breakfast and lunch. Eating this way, I am not hungry anymore, and I definitely have much more energy! I also sleep better now, too. I'm not up for a couple of hours after I go to bed- I think that was caused from me taking cat naps in the afternoon to get me through the late afternoons and early evenings with all the kids sports and activities after school. I never realized just how exhausted I always felt when eating carbs with all three meals, plus snacks.

Another funny thing with this diet- I don't snack anymore, and I am truly amazed that my family can break out the chips and popcorn at night, and it doesn't even phase me now. The only thing I tell them, is to please not make desserts unless it is made before dinner- for some reason, I am having a devil of a time giving up sweets this time around. Maybe because I am much heavier than when I did this diet before. So strange, as I was NEVER a sweet eater until I started gaining over a 100 pounds. I am still 121 pounds overweight right now, according to several charts and sites that I've checked out. It may take a while before my sweet tooth settles down. So, I ask the family, if any dessert is made by myself or them, to please do so before dinner is eaten, so that I can enjoy it. My son makes this delicious chocolate cake from scratch, and it's just something that I wouldn't want to miss or wait until the next day to eat it, LOL. They've been great about it. One time they were craving chocolate chip cookies- I told them to go ahead, as I don't care for chocolate chip cookies. They were shocked I didn't eat any after they were cooked.

Looks like once again, I wrote a novel, LOL. So sorry........as you can see, I am a chatter box online! Have a great day, everyone!

Audrey
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 10:19

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyrvp
Hello all. Just checking in. Im fighting a really bad sinus head cold so Im kinda on the down low right now. Will check back in a day or two.

I hope you are feeling better by now!

When I began following CALP, two and a half years ago, I came down with the worst cold/flu only one month after being on the program. I was unable to eat and when I needed something to eat, I was unable to eat anything but popsickles and drink hot tea sweetened with honey. It took me an entire week to get better, but as soon as I was, I resumed the program.

I hope you are able to get yourself right back on track as soon as you feel better!
  #84   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 10:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi-
hope you feel better soon!

Had chili, salad, green beans and frozen yogurt for RM last night. Yum. I am trying to get the frozen yogurt out of my system!!

Today I am going out to dinner with a few friends. Have I ever mentioned I HATE going out to eat with a group of women??????
I agreed to this before I was told it was 5 other women! Oh well.
I don't know what I will get, as I have never been to this restaurant. I might try to google the menu before. Sigh.

later-
E

I hope your luncheon turned out better than you expected!
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 10:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpmd56
Greetings fellow CADDERS,
I love this forum!
So in my journal (I think....I'm not sure how to get there!) I confessed how much I have been eating (A LOT). But, when I stick strictly with the program I still lose weight.
Anyway, does anyone else check for ketones? I have definitely got the
"Atkins Dragon Breath" going on, and when I urinate on a stick, I am excreting ketones. I do love purple. I am totally OK with this, as I think ketones suppress hunger, sneak calories out, keep you in fat burning mode, etc. I just think that it is interesting that I eat ALOT of carbs during my RM (we call it the "buffalo hour" at my house) and as long as I keep the timing down less than an hour, I still start having bad breath by about 10 am the next day. I have done Atkins many times in the past, but eventually always cracked and ate chocolate cake. Before CAD, that was it and I would binge back up to above my previous weight. The reward meal is what makes this a workable diet for me, but I do like being in ketosis and am just considering this a bonus.
Anyone else experience this? Marcy

Congratulations on your progress! It sounds as if your transition from Atkins to CAD is working out well for you.

I have not checked my ketone levels in over twelve years and only checked them for a short period of time when I jumped from CALP to Atkins. I like things to be as simple as possible and try not to worry about anything other than sticking to my program.

It sounds like CAD may be the right program for you. I wish you well and hope you will continue to share your journey with us!
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 10:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
Still no change in weight, bouncing between 300-302. No change in the other issue either...*sigh* I had a big bowl of raisin bran for my RM last night.. that might help.

Vel,

I have found that even when the scales are bouncing around, my program is still working. Sometimes it takes more time than I would like for the scales to drop, but I am confident that they will as long as I continue to follow my program!

What better way to spend the time than to get yourself into better shape! Patience is the key!

Best of luck with that other issue too!
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 10:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelslady
Down to 271 now- woo hoo! I've stayed there for a couple of days now. I didn't want to say anything until I knew it was official. 13 pounds gone since August 10, to which two of those weeks I had to stop the diet because of circumstances beyond my control, which caused me to gain back 6 of the pounds I lost.

It took me a couple of weeks to lose those pounds again- I'm sure most of it was sodium, seeing that we ate out several times during those two weeks. I'm so glad to be back on this diet again. I feel much better when I stick to it- I'm not hungry or tired all the time anymore, and that is a HUGE help to me. I can remember some afternoons wanting a nap because I was so tired from eating carbs with breakfast and lunch. Eating this way, I am not hungry anymore, and I definitely have much more energy! I also sleep better now, too. I'm not up for a couple of hours after I go to bed- I think that was caused from me taking cat naps in the afternoon to get me through the late afternoons and early evenings with all the kids sports and activities after school. I never realized just how exhausted I always felt when eating carbs with all three meals, plus snacks.

Another funny thing with this diet- I don't snack anymore, and I am truly amazed that my family can break out the chips and popcorn at night, and it doesn't even phase me now. The only thing I tell them, is to please not make desserts unless it is made before dinner- for some reason, I am having a devil of a time giving up sweets this time around. Maybe because I am much heavier than when I did this diet before. So strange, as I was NEVER a sweet eater until I started gaining over a 100 pounds. I am still 121 pounds overweight right now, according to several charts and sites that I've checked out. It may take a while before my sweet tooth settles down. So, I ask the family, if any dessert is made by myself or them, to please do so before dinner is eaten, so that I can enjoy it. My son makes this delicious chocolate cake from scratch, and it's just something that I wouldn't want to miss or wait until the next day to eat it, LOL. They've been great about it. One time they were craving chocolate chip cookies- I told them to go ahead, as I don't care for chocolate chip cookies. They were shocked I didn't eat any after they were cooked.

Looks like once again, I wrote a novel, LOL. So sorry........as you can see, I am a chatter box online! Have a great day, everyone!

Audrey

Audrey,

Congratulations! Your enthusiasm for the program is delightful! Isn't is great to feel all of these positive things by only changing the way we eat!

I look forward to you sharing your journey with us!
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 10:49

BF:

I have spent the entire morning on my computer and have way too many things that I have to do. It is my baby sisters 50th birthday today so I will be baking some cookies for her.

My middle daughter brought over some bananas that are perfect for banana nut bread so I will be baking a couple of loaves of that too.

I really love this program because I have no problem baking goodies for my family since I am in complete control of the way that I eat now!

After going on diet after diet over the past thirty years, it is refreshing to know that this is the last time that I will ever play that yo-yo game again!

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend!
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 10:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelslady
Teri- you look wonderful! What a beautiful lady you are, even with the weight on in the past. Keep up the great work. This helps me to look forward to what I can be in the future if I stick to this diet (and I sure do plan to stick to it!). Thanks for sharing these photos.

Thank you for your kind words!

I happen to think that CALP is my savior when it comes to eating. It has taught me how to eat and still enjoy the foods that I have decided that I can not live without. I am in better shape than I can ever remember and even though I still have more weight to lose, I am confident that I will lose it with the help of my program!
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 12:28

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 195/135/144 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 118%

Vel-- not sure how much of the pill stuff you should take. It may not be absorbed by the body very well so any guess is just that, a guess. Start with the label on the bottle and go up from there, would be my advice.

Of the powdered stuff, the recommended dosage is 3 teaspoons. I can't take that much though-- too much of a good thing, if you know what I mean. I take at least 1 tsp every day and some days 2, but no more than that! It really does good things for your body-- no more leg cramps and a sounder sleep, in addition to no more constipation or retained water. You have to dissolve it in water first; hot or cold water, either one.

Try googling magnesium and see what you get-- I thought it was pretty interesting.
Closed Thread