Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-10, 07:13

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I don't like throwing food away either, but I don't recognize pizza/soda/ice cream and high-carb "treats" as food! At least not the ones made with flour and sugar and probably hydrogenated fat.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-10, 07:49

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/164/128 Female 5 feet, 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I've had this same issue at work, and since I'm fairly new to the office, I feel like saying no to their donuts/bagels/ice cream/etc., comes across as unappreciative... Especially if it's your boss that brought the food in. It's such a fine line...

I feel kind of guilty, but lately when someone brings in donuts or bagels or whatever, I'll take one, nibble a few bites to look like I'm enjoying it, then take it back to my desk and throw it away. I feel SO bad doing this, but I feel like it's the best solution. I just hope I don't get caught in the act one day!! Ha! I also occasionally say that I'm not hungry or just had a big breakfast, etc... In that case, I'll also take one, saying that I'll save it for later... Then dump it later in the day! So sneaky, but it seems to work!!!

Does anyone else have suggestions for work situations?
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-10, 08:15

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

I start work at 5 am so most of the team bring in very sweet stuff i.e. cakes, pain au chocolat, croissants, fruit juice and chocolate cake.

All I say is 'no thank you, I don't eat sugar' with a smile and I never encounter a problem.

I would suggest that you be firm and polite and don't start to justify your no with an awkward explantion.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-10, 08:18

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

What would you say if you were offered food but weren't hungry? Would you still eat it even if you weren't hungry?

Just tell them you're not hungry!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-10, 08:32
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I don't negotiate with idiots.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-10, 09:22

Plan: 75%Fat. 20%Prot. 5%Carbs
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
What would you say if you were offered food but weren't hungry? Would you still eat it even if you weren't hungry?

Just tell them you're not hungry!

Saying you have some health issues (like diabetes, allergies or some sort of food intolerance) usually shuts their mouth, because they don't want to deal with serious medical stuff. Some of them might even dare to advice you: "I'm diabetic too. And this fruit cake has little sugar. It doesn't hurt me. You should try!"

But saying "I'm not hungry" when you're obese, doesn't work! They give you the "c'mon" look "You sure have some left space in there!" It happened to me! Many times! And it kinda hurt ... especially if other people start laughing.

~~~

I've read a lot of great ideas & advices here and that's why I love coming to this board, because it keeps me motivated when I fall down!

The thing is I have to learn to say "No!" firmly but politely, without any further explanations. Somebody said somewhere on this forum, that diet is like religion and it's true! That's why I must be careful all my life not to start a war. With my mother might work to throw food away (or just tell her "I throw it away if you don't stop!"). But you can't do that with your boss if you want to keep your job. So in this case I think the best solution is to tell him something about health issues. Maybe you don't have celiac disease, but we all know how bad gluten is, so you don't lie if you tell him you "don't tolerate" gluten or something like this.

Oh ... theory theory theory ... but the hardest part is to put into practice. Hope one day I will! And I can start tomorrow when my father's coming home...
I'm looking forward to new ideas & advices!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-10, 11:32
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
"You sure have some left space in there!"

#23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-11, 14:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 291/291/180 Female 5ft 3in
BF:not sure
Progress: 0%

we have a lady in are work who trys to sabotage us any chance she gets she knew that my boss was doing a hardcore strict diet gave to her by her doctor because of health problems and what does she get for xmas....a box of thats right u guessed it TURTLES
last time i checked they r not on the diet list, than my boss told me yesterday after i lift she was trying to get her to eat some choclate with her she said no good girl..... but what i say if ppl hound me it may sound mean but hey they want to hound they gona get a nasty anwser back is
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-11, 14:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 291/291/180 Female 5ft 3in
BF:not sure
Progress: 0%
Default what i say to hounders lol

we have a lady in are work who trys to sabotage us any chance she gets she knew that my boss was doing a hardcore strict diet gave to her by her doctor because of health problems and what does she get for xmas....a box of thats right u guessed it TURTLES
last time i checked they r not on the diet list, than my boss told me yesterday after i lift she was trying to get her to eat some choclate with her she said no good girl..... but what i say if ppl hound me it may sound mean but hey they want to hound they gona get a nasty anwser back is i dont need that on my bum/hips/thighs/ but thanks anyways and sometimes it kinda makes them take a step back and look down lol