Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 08:20

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Doreen should be paid for all of the work she is doing!!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 08:52
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindasdd

I will say though that much of what you have calculated here is based on your own reinterpretation of percentages and ratios.

Hmmm....

It doesn't appear as if she "re-interpretated the results at all.

It appears she interpretated the results as put forth by the information submitted by medallion labs.

#33   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 13:44

Plan: Ketogenic with Carb Load
Stats: 160/150/150 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Hmmm....

It doesn't appear as if she "re-interpretated the results at all.

It appears she interpretated the results as put forth by the information submitted by medallion labs.

You are correct. But you can see how it looks like a reinterpretation.

Hopefully, you and everyone else can clearly see that I'm here looking to help and provide information as a "go-between" as much as possible - not to dispute and certainly not to fight. That is why I didn't respond to her post negating it. I wanted to first hear what the baker or Medallian Labs had to say.

Hopefully also someone will take us up on this offer to have it tested so we can get down to the bottom of all this.

-lindasdd
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 15:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
I just got an email back from the baker and a follow up phone call. He looked through his records and discovered that you are right about the protein. The test results he provided me were not for the zero carb bread, but instead for a high protein bread he was making for Controlled Carb Gourmet which used whey protein. That is why the protein content is so high.
How long ago did the bakery send you that incorrect report? Obviously you have sincerely believed it to be the actual report for the zero carb bread for as long as you've had it. Did you block out the information at the top of the report before posting it on your site, or was it sent to you originally with the info already blocked out?

Quote:
So, he wants to have a fresh test of the bread done so that you can verify.
Why would a new test be necessary? In post #3 in this thread, you wrote:
Quote:
the baker has the bread tested a couple times a year to make sure he always has the most up to date test results proving the nutritionals. This is essential considering so many find it outrageous for Healthwise to claim they have a zero net carb bread product. He provides the test results to retailers on request.
Why doesn't he just provide (with no info blocked out) the most recent test of the "zero net carb" bread that's already been done? Surely the bread has been tested several times since 2008?

Quote:
Before about 3 years ago, Healthwise Bakery products were only made under private label. Meaning, they were not sold as Healthwise Bakery, but instead with labels such as Controlled Carb Gourmet. Controlled Carb Gourmet is a low carb bread store that used to exist up until about 6 months ago based out of FLorida. CCG had soy and other ingredients on their label make sure that anyone else who wanted to copy the product / label would not be able to because they would not have a way of knowing which actual ingredients were in the products.
I'm not quite clear what that last bit means. Are you saying the ingredients on the CCG label were intentionally false in order to mislead their competitors? If that's the case, well .. it's not only unethical, it's also a violation of federal food-labelling regulations. I'm sure if the FDA ever got wind of such false information, they'd be all over it like flies on a fresh turd!

Speaking of food labels .. does the baker have an explanation why the 60-calorie bread products do not show oil in the ingredients, and 0g fat in the nutrition panel, when this bread supposedly has "more oil than the 40-calorie version"?

Doreen
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 16:15
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Hopefully, you and everyone else can clearly see that I'm here looking to help and provide information as a "go-between" as much as possible - not to dispute and certainly not to fight. That is why I didn't respond to her post negating it. I wanted to first hear what the baker or Medallian Labs had to say.

Hopefully also someone will take us up on this offer to have it tested so we can get down to the bottom of all this.

-lindasdd

hey Andrew,

I'm sorry that you've found yourself stuck as a go-between. Rest assured, I have no quibble with you personally . I'm just a stickler for accurate information, and franky this whole Healthwise bakery thing is generating more questions than answers.

Who is he / they??? .. and where? There's no name, only an anonymous "sales"at" email link. There's no street address or even a postal box if anyone wanted to send snail mail. And both the customer-service and fax phone #'s are unlisted.

Andrew, I'm aware that you've put a lot of time and effort into promoting the healthwise zero carb products .. videos and posts around the web as well as your store. I don't know what's in it for you, but surely this is raising a few questions for you too? I know my alarms are going off full blast ...

take care

Doreen
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-10, 06:58

BF:
Progress:

I'm going to respond to your two posts in two posts as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
How long ago did the bakery send you that incorrect report?
It was a couple months ago at least that the report was sent to me.

Quote:
Did you block out the information at the top of the report before posting it on your site, or was it sent to you originally with the info already blocked out?
I blocked it out myself since it contains extra contact info,etc. that I didn't want to include without express permission.

Quote:
Why would a new test be necessary? In post #3 in this thread, you wrote:Why doesn't he just provide (with no info blocked out) the most recent test of the "zero net carb" bread that's already been done? Surely the bread has been tested several times since 2008?
This is certainly possible, he just felt that by doing a new one with a sample sent to you, it would be the ultimata verification of the results. I can ask him whether he has any pdf versions of the zero test results on hand.

Quote:
I'm not quite clear what that last bit means. Are you saying the ingredients on the CCG label were intentionally false in order to mislead their competitors?
No I'm saying that CCG had Healthwise Bakery make them both a zero carb bread and a high protein bread. When Healthwise Bakery sent me the test result I posted on my site, they sent me the wrong test result.

Quote:
Speaking of food labels .. does the baker have an explanation why the 60-calorie bread products do not show oil in the ingredients, and 0g fat in the nutrition panel, when this bread supposedly has "more oil than the 40-calorie version"?
I'll run it by the baker and see what he says.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-10, 07:07

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I'm just a stickler for accurate information, and franky this whole Healthwise bakery thing is generating more questions than answers.
I feel the same way which is actually why I chimed in to the conversation in the first place. Healthwise Bakery is one of the most accurate and good intentioned bakeries in terms of nutritional information that I work with which is why I spoke up.

Quote:
Who is he / they??? .. and where? There's no name, only an anonymous "sales"at" email link. There's no street address or even a postal box if anyone wanted to send snail mail. And both the customer-service and fax phone #'s are unlisted.
Their "corporate" website may leave a little to be desired, but that is because they are set up to service retailers(stores, etc.) not consumers. I'm relatively certain if you attempted to contact any of the contact info provided on their contact us page they would respond very quickly. They are based out of FL.

Quote:
I don't know what's in it for you, but surely this is raising a few questions for you too? I know my alarms are going off full blast ...
What's in it for me is just that I am a retailer of their products. One of many retailers. As mentioned before I strongly believe in the efforts of the company to provide a superior low carb product and not mislead the public with a high carb bread labeled as low carb as some others have done in the past. Who knows, maybe that will be disproven, but so far it has not. They have even gone so far as to soon start offering a guarantee for diabetics that it will not raise blood sugar levels.

-lindasdd
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-10, 07:12

BF:
Progress:

One more thing. I just took the lab image down from my site since it is for the wrong product. I will post a new link once I have either a new one or if we do the test via a sample sent to a forum member.

-lindasdd
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-10, 15:12
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Doreen,

I guess you scared the crap out of everybody.

No communication in over a week.

I was kinda looking forward to part 2.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-10, 15:38

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Doreen,

I guess you scared the crap out of everybody.

No communication in over a week.

I was kinda looking forward to part 2.

Something is definitely rotten about this whole deal.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-10, 07:40

BF:
Progress:

Hey cnmLisa,
Thanks for reposting, I was caught up in the daily duties of my store till I got the reminder email that someone added to the thread.

After the baker realized those last lab results he provided me were for a high protein bread instead of the zero carb bread he went back looking through his records for the most recent test he could find.

Unfortunately, this one is from 2007. But something is better than nothing and as mentioned previously the baker would like to have one done now with the help of a forum member in order to prove the nutritionals without a doubt. So for now we have to work with this older version, but a new one is definitely possible. Keep in mind most companies don't repeatedly test their products because the cost for even one test is very high. And for some products of course, they never test them at all.

I realize I previously stated, "Fortunately with the Healthwise Bakery brand, the baker has the bread tested a couple times a year to make sure he always has the most up to date test results proving the nutritionals." I'm not sure whether I heard this from the bakery directly or someone else, but I will take the blame for this misquote myself.

Ok, so here are the new images. I've hosted them on my server again because even after making them smaller they are too large to post.

Page 1 ..* document removed *
Page 2 .. * document removed *

-lindasdd

P.S. I still need a forum member to raise their hand and say "Send me a sample so I can send it to the lab." The baker isn't trying to hide anything. I just wish someone would accept this offer instead of implying wrong doing.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-10, 08:15
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

So...we just take delivery of the bread, slap a new label on it and send it off somewhere else? If so, I'll happily do that.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-10, 11:25
Forum Founder

BF:

Thanks for posting, Andrew. I was wondering if maybe Lisa was right, and everyone scared away! I'm not a meanie , just a pain in the butt about accuracy.

Um, why does the baker think such a convoluted process to get the bread to the lab will "prove the nutritionals without a doubt"? The proof is in the test results, not the sample. Besides, Medallion Labs requires perishable goods to be securely sealed in appropriate coolers/cartons, along with the submission form(s). Unless the forum member doing the shipping transfer has x-ray vision, there's no way to confirm what's in the container. Plus, the delay could compromise test results as the bread wouldn't be as fresh as if the baker had shipped the sample directly to the lab.

IMO, it would make more sense for the baker to expedite the bread sample(s) to the lab, then have the results emailed back to them as a nice crisp PDF, which can be promptly forwarded to you and a third party, such as myself or some other forum member

Quote:
I realize I previously stated, "Fortunately with the Healthwise Bakery brand, the baker has the bread tested a couple times a year to make sure he always has the most up to date test results proving the nutritionals." I'm not sure whether I heard this from the bakery directly or someone else, but I will take the blame for this misquote myself.
Thank you for explaining the misquote .. that was really confusing why we weren't shown something more recent, especially considering the Healthwise bakery website proclaims : "Everything has been laboratory tested to provide you with the highest nutritional quality, ...........". I don't know about anyone else, but I just assumed that "everything" means .. everything.

Anyway .. I'm off to have a look-see at the recently posted lab analysis report .

Doreen
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-10, 11:38

Plan: don't know!
Stats: 150/150/115
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for your help and honesty, Andrew.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-10, 14:54

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Ok, so here are the new images. I've hosted them on my server again because even after making them smaller they are too large to post.

[document removed]

I am confused by this one.

How does this add up?

17.4% carbs
2.8% available carbs
16.9% fiber

Are available carbs everything not fiber?
How does 2.8 and 16.9 add up to 17.4

107 calories per 100 grams with the fiber subtracted
11 calories from fat
21.2 grams of protein which is 85 calories
That would seem to leave 11 calories of something neither fat nor protein. If there are 2.8 grams of carbs in the sample, 2.8X4 = 11. Which would seem to make some kind of sense.

100 grams is almost 4 ounces. We are looking at about 3/4 gram of carb per ounce. I guess that is pretty close to zero, being less than one anyway.

However from your web page

Servings per container: 14
Serving Size: 1 oz / 1 slice
Calories: 60
Fat: 0g
Carbs: 7g
Fiber: 7g
Sugar: 0g
Protein: 6g

One might expect 107/3.75 calories per slice, which is something like 16 calories, not 60.

Last edited by bobiam : Fri, Aug-06-10 at 15:04.