Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-10, 09:24
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I am sooo loving it!!!

Last night she put in some hip-hop which was awesome.
I swear this is one of the funnest work-outs I have ever done.
I cannot wait for class!

Chelle--have you gotten your DVDs yet!!!

I think this weekend I'm going to practice some of the moves because there are a couple that just seem confusing to me--mostly in the Calypso moves!

Get off the couch and start shaking your booty.

(Oh and did I mention...I don't know if it's real or not, but I think my waist is smaller and I've dropped 2 pounds off the scale.....I think its not real but Hey, I like the feeling!)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-10, 14:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/212/162 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Love It!

I am now a firm believer in Zumba mixed with atkins/low carb. I did a bit of a modified Atkins, where I took out any foods that make me feel sleepy or sluggish, and eat only foods that give me tons of energy, lots of chicken and salmon, butter, olive oil, green beans, and leafy veg. I found some amazing dried green beans at the health food store, that actually taste like candy to me! "Drew's ranch dressing" which does not contain soy, and uses Apple Cider Vinegar. Which ACV helps me lose in the belly region. All of this mixed with zumba once a day, and I'm a weight loss machine!

I did Zumba (DVD's) just once a day, first the beginner, then upped to advanced, and just 3 days now of power, and I lost 35 lbs in 4 weeks! Wepa!

I'm honestly considering becoming an instructor once I hit my goal. I really enjoy it, I have never sweat so much from an in-home workout, and the hour seems to only be 15 minutes. I get a "runner's high" and actually want to keep going when I've finished the hour work out.

I'm getting the new CD's in the mail tomorrow, so hopefully that will spice things up for the next 30 lb 4-week goal!

With Zumba and Low carb I actually feel like I am "good at losing weight" now. Maintenance should be a breeze.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-10, 21:27
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecka8i8

. I really enjoy it, I have never sweat so much from an in-home workout, and the hour seems to only be 15 minutes. I get a "runner's high" and actually want to keep going when I've finished the hour work out.

I'm getting the new CD's in the mail tomorrow, so hopefully that will spice things up for the next 30 lb 4-week goal!

With Zumba and Low carb I actually feel like I am "good at losing weight" now. Maintenance should be a breeze.

I hear ya. I've lost another 8th off my waist--5 1 hour classes.

I think I've turned into an addict. You're right, an hour seems like 15 minutes---it absolutely flys by. Plus, there is a guy in class that just rocks it--we stand next ro each other and egg each other on--- I love to dance and my hips are moving. I think I've gotten better since standing next to him. Plus he's a really nice guy. I live in a really small town and classes are packed which is really fun. All ages.
I had a little high school student ask me how old I was at the last class. I had to pick her jaw off the floor when I told her I was 50 I'm kickn' the high school girls butts and takn' names. (it totally makes me want to turn into some latin dance machine---jeez, I hope I don't throw my back out like an old geezer

Class tomorrow morning!

Chelle???? did you get your CDs yet!!

Jecka--keep posting!

Lisa
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-10, 05:59

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 146/126.4/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 93%

You guys are so enthusiastic about zumba- it makes me want to try! Has anyone checked to see if there's a class on TV? I don't know if I'm brave enough to go to a class- I'm so uncoordinated and a room with 60 people would be so intimidating for me!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-10, 09:54
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdreaming
You guys are so enthusiastic about zumba- it makes me want to try! Has anyone checked to see if there's a class on TV? I don't know if I'm brave enough to go to a class- I'm so uncoordinated and a room with 60 people would be so intimidating for me!

Trust me when I say this (I know, you don't know me from Adam but...) No one cares if you're uncoordinated--everyone is having so much fun we're just happy you're there and having fun too! I know it sounds hokey but just being in a room with all these people and probably only 3 know what they're doing and everyone just moving and smiling--it's infectious.

If you can find a class go for it. I purchased the Zumba DVDs from Amazon before I realized that my gym was going to offer it. It's a great way to start because it has a introuction DVD that teaches you how to do all the steps. Each step is broken down into 3 phases and takes like 5 minutes to learn (if that long).
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-10, 13:45

BF:

Agreed! To tell you the truth I still am completely fixated either on the tv when I do the DVDs or the instructor in class. No one in the class has time to even look at you or they will also miss the steps! But that is also what makes the time fly by because you are exercising your brain to keep up with the steps too!

I know there are some videos on Youtube that you can find to try it out, but if you don't want to join a class, I mostly do the DVDs at home, unless I'm feelin a little uninspired at which time I take an actual class, because of the huge energy lift from everyone there.

I have heard that you burn up to 1,000 calories in an hour, and that it can equal a 6 mile run.
Have you ever seen someone who runs 6 miles a day? Usually pretty thin. But they usually have to "force" a work out. For me Zumba is a treat!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-10, 13:48

BF:
Default Hurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I hear ya. I've lost another 8th off my waist--5 1 hour classes.

I think I've turned into an addict. You're right, an hour seems like 15 minutes---it absolutely flys by. Plus, there is a guy in class that just rocks it--we stand next ro each other and egg each other on--- I love to dance and my hips are moving. I think I've gotten better since standing next to him. Plus he's a really nice guy. I live in a really small town and classes are packed which is really fun. All ages.
I had a little high school student ask me how old I was at the last class. I had to pick her jaw off the floor when I told her I was 50 I'm kickn' the high school girls butts and takn' names. (it totally makes me want to turn into some latin dance machine---jeez, I hope I don't throw my back out like an old geezer

Class tomorrow morning!

Chelle???? did you get your CDs yet!!

Jecka--keep posting!

Lisa

I also agree with the hip action cnmLisa! I travel to Latin America frequently for lots of dancing, and Zumba is great for conditioning.
And great for you that you are showing up the youngsters! It's nice to have a bit of competition to get you going hehe

I got my new CD's yesterday! Woo hoo! It's good to have some extra variety
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-10, 15:19
Every day is day one

BF:

I sent my sister a 9 minute YOU TUBE video of Zumba--the instructor could move like greased lightening.

I was telling my sister how much fun it was!

This was her e-mail reply:
Quote:
The best part of Zumba is the music. Do they give you a Mojito after you finish?

I laughed when I read it....if they did, then it would really feel like you'd been at the club.

Last edited by cnmLisa : Sun, Jul-11-10 at 18:45. Reason: Spelling
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-10, 18:08

BF:
Default Hahahaha!

Quote:
I sent my sister a 9 minute YOU TUBE video of Zumba--the instructor could move like greased lightening.

I was telling my sister how much fun it was!

This was her e-mail reply:

I laughed when I read it....if the did, then it would really feel like you'd been at the club.

Hahaha That would be a great incentive for going to class! hehe Perhaps you will have to make a new tradition
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-10, 18:10

BF:

I tried the new ABS routine today btw and loved it! I couldn't even do the whole thing. At first I felt like it wasn't really doing anything but giving me a cardio work out, but after I got exhausted and stopped I noticed the soreness already!

Do they offer any AB concentrated classes of Zumba that you know of?
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-10, 18:47
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecka8i8
I tried the new ABS routine today btw and loved it! I couldn't even do the whole thing. At first I felt like it wasn't really doing anything but giving me a cardio work out, but after I got exhausted and stopped I noticed the soreness already!

Do they offer any AB concentrated classes of Zumba that you know of?

Not that I know of...

but....

I found a week of Zumba with Beto at Club Med in Ixtapa that first week in December. No! Really! I'm not kidding.
My mom asked me if she thought my sister would go with me.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-10, 20:07

BF:

Quote:
Not that I know of...

but....

I found a week of Zumba with Beto at Club Med in Ixtapa that first week in December. No! Really! I'm not kidding.
My mom asked me if she thought my sister would go with me.

OMgosh If you go you have to let me know how it was!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-10, 05:45

BF:

My local library has a zumba workout book/DVD that I'm going to check out and I will go from there!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-10, 09:00
Every day is day one

BF:
Default What a nice thing to say...

So, I'm on vacation this week, just hangn' around doing stuff, not going anywhere.

I got up yesterday morning and went to 9am class--I have never gone in the morning during the week because I'm always working.

More "older" ladies and a few of the younger ones that I see in the evening class.

Pretty crowded.

The guy who just rocks it was there (which makes it even more fun because we egg each other on).

So...I got 2 really nice compliments that just had me smiling all day.

1. One of the older ladies who I know by sight who stood in the front row (I usually am 3 rows back) said I couldn't come to morning class anymore....she was so busy watching me in the mirror that she was distracted the whole time (I took that as a compliment) because the next compliment was...

2. From another of the older ladies...you and Luis just make me cross eyed watching the two of you.

Ahhhh....that was almost the sweetest thing anybody has ever said, and coming from these two older ladies made me feel kinda teary.(Ok--I must be hormonal, but it was so sweet)

Could it really be possible that I've lost more off my waist??!! I swear, I measured yesterday morning and I am an inch down. Not feeling as winded either compared to the first couple of times when I thought I needed an oxygen tank.

Class tonight.

Tomorrow I'm going to the 9am class again but also, one of the instructors who is brand new certified is having a shortie class in the afternoon. She wants a group of us to critique her before she starts being a primary instructor.

It is official. I can now classify myself as an addict. Geesh, I'm not even a month in and have to go to Zumba rehab.

Chelle--did you get your DVDs??!

Tasty--keep posting!

Everybody else...don't be strangers!!

Lisa

Last edited by cnmLisa : Wed, Jul-14-10 at 09:02. Reason: I cant spell :)
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 17:57

BF:

The book I checked out from the library has a DVD, but I was disappointed to find that it only demonstrates about 5 or so moves, and that's it. It left me wanting more So, I went ahead and ordered the full Zumba workout DVD set! Shipping says 3-4 business days, so I should have it next week!