Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 10:18

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I've noticed that metallic taste in lean meat like london broil, and I wouldn't be surprised to find it in filet mignon - a cut I avoid! I believe the taste is myoglobin, and it's definitely stronger when there's not enough marbling in the meat.

You can reduce the taste if you prepare the steak yourself - salt it well and let it sit for a couple hours, then rinse and dry it. But my solution is usually to eat hamburger instead.

How to Make Cheap Steak Taste Good

The porterhouse in question was ridiculously expensive and very well-marbled. I'm not sure that's the problem. I agree with you on the hamburger. I would have been MUCH happier with a nice, juicy burger.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 10:23

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggsy
I am not currently on an all meat diet, and there are a couple of meats I actually like. I like good fatty beef like rib steaks/roasts and I like bacon. I can eat liverwurst and sometimes pate (although it sometimes gets to be too much for me). I can't stand kidneys. I just tried to make some lamb liver about a week ago, and despite doing everything to make it mild and tender (soaking it in milk over night, quickly cooking it), it grossed me out.

I haven't had kidneys in years, and I'm not in any hurry to try them again.

I never tried soaking liver in milk because I have a dairy sensitivity/addiction, but I used to soak liver in lemon juice according to Sally Fallon. Guess what? I don't like it that way! After a couple years of experimenting, I've decided that this simple method is best:

Get a slice of liver out of the freezer and thaw it. It usually takes less than 30 minutes. (I store each slice of liver in a separate plastic bag to make this easier).

Rinse the slice with LOTS of water. I find this much more effective than soaking. Pat dry.

Very important: peel the skin off the edge! A sharp paring knife can help. I didn't do this at first, until I realized that the skin was what made liver gross to me. Sometimes there's some internally, and there's not much you can do about that, but getting it off the edge makes a huge difference.

Salt generously. Pepper makes it better, but I was avoiding pepper for a while so I know it's okay without it too.

Melt some tallow (or bacon fat or ghee) in a cast-iron pan over medium-high heat.

Add the liver and fry 1-2 minutes on each side. It should be very well browned, but still slightly tender in the middle. I used to cook it a lot less, but the browning is really important to a good flavor. I used to make sure it was still "raw" in the middle, but now if I want some raw liver I just eat a small piece of it frozen.

It's the browning that really transforms the liver. It changes it from bitter to sweet.

Sometimes I eat my liver with a little parsley, homemade mayonnaise, or fermented vegetables. But that's optional.
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 10:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The last batch of Ribeye I got tastes kind of liverish to me also. Wierd! I remember I used to really like it.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
The porterhouse in question was ridiculously expensive and very well-marbled. I'm not sure that's the problem. I agree with you on the hamburger. I would have been MUCH happier with a nice, juicy burger.

Filet mignon is expensive too, but I won't touch it because it's too lean for me. It sounds like you have times when you are very sensitive to the metallic taste, so it only partly has to do with the steak. I salt every steak for as long as I can before I grill it, no matter how well-marbled it is. I don't usually rinse it afterwards, though.
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 10:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/167/160 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

"vegan" thread becomes "how to prepare beef" thread.

I love it!
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 10:39

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:

Strip steaks are tasty, tender, and less expensive than filet mignon.
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 13:45

Plan: EatRealFood!
Stats: 186/175/157 Female 68 inches
BF:30%/27%/15%
Progress: 38%

have you all ever tried wrapping the filet mignon in bacon? i made it like this on father's day and i liked it much better.
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 13:52
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

i cooked up a big ass brisket yesterday in my convection oven..
long and slow and what i have is a tender piece of meat, full of fatty goodness and OMG, the juice it produces is something to want to bathe in.....

brisket is a superior meat because of all the fat on it!
but you really have to buy the packer size, not the point cuts... they've been trimmed of all fat!
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 14:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
i cooked up a big ass brisket yesterday in my convection oven..
long and slow and what i have is a tender piece of meat, full of fatty goodness and OMG, the juice it produces is something to want to bathe in.....

brisket is a superior meat because of all the fat on it!
but you really have to buy the packer size, not the point cuts... they've been trimmed of all fat!

Hmmm...I wonder how a brisket would work in my crockpot? Right now I have pork ribs and sauerkraut going in there. (WAAAAY too hot to cook any other way today.)

BTW...I have no idea what "packer size" and "point cuts" mean. (Where's the "stupid" emoticon when I need it?)
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 14:29
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

you really need to get your butt down here and let me weather you a little.

packer cut is a whole brisket untrimmed

point cut is a portion of the brisket that they trim all fat off of because of the crazy humans that think fat is unhealthy!!!!

see the point?

#101   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 14:50

That's disgraceful!
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 15:21

BF:

Quote:
you really need to get your butt down here and let me weather you a little.

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds scary. (Seriously, what does that mean?)

Quote:
packer cut is a whole brisket untrimmed

point cut is a portion of the brisket that they trim all fat off of because of the crazy humans that think fat is unhealthy!!!!

see the point?

The brisket for sale up here is the second one. I have never seen anything like that first one. Are you sure the butcher will know what that means?
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 15:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was wondering about that too! Weather you? Maybe she's going to hang you outside and let the sea spray and elements have at you.
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 16:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I was wondering about that too! Weather you? Maybe she's going to hang you outside and let the sea spray and elements have at you.

#105   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 16:46

Plan: EatRealFood!
Stats: 186/175/157 Female 68 inches
BF:30%/27%/15%
Progress: 38%

you guys are funny! i want to try cooking brisket, but i don't have a convection oven .