Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 13:47
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melesana
I don't use Firefox myself, Wa'il. I mentioned it because Glenda mentioned that she uses it. Email notifications stopped arriving for her, and me, and other people, all at the same time in early May. We've determined directly that the problem isn't with our ISPs. Logic says it isn't with our browsers either, since at least two browsers - IE and Firefox - were in use when we stopped receiving email notifications. Thanks for your continuing interest and efforts, Wa'il!

What I'm trying to say is that the problems described by others in this thread has been resolved, i.e. they are now getting email notifications. The problem you are describing (notification options being reset to no notification) has not been reported by others, and it is very likely browser related.

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 14:49
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
What I'm trying to say is that the problems described by others in this thread has been resolved, i.e. they are now getting email notifications. The problem you are describing (notification options being reset to no notification) has not been reported by others, and it is very likely browser related.

Wa'il

I'm only getting email notifications due to my change in email address.
When I tried to go back to my old/original email, I got locked out.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 14:55

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Others have switched to different email addresses and logins in order to receive email notifications from this forum. They started over here, in effect. Granted, that worked for their notifications, but people mention the inconvenience of maintaining a separate email account for this forum, and communicating with you. Since they switched early on, they may not have had occasion to notice, or to comment on, the settings being reset. It's possible that several different browsers spontaneously became incompatible with this forum at the same time early this month. I don't think it's as likely, though, that the problem originated spontaneously and simultaneously in several different browsers as that it originated in what we all have in common: LC forum email notification problems that began with the early-May maintenance. Thanks for your continuing interest and effort to determine and correct the problem.

Meg
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 14:57
Sugar is poison.

Plan: VLC/HF
Stats: 211/128/135 Female 66 inches
BF:More than I'd like
Progress: 109%

I'm still not getting e-mail notifications anymore, and I use Eudora only <--not web-based. So in my case anyway it couldn't be browser-related.

None of my other e-mail was bouncing, so I'm pretty sure the few notices I would get from here weren't, either.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 17:07

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hmmm .... I just checked my UserCP and there are a number of threads I'm subscribed to that I haven't received a notification on. My notifications are still set to instant, it hasn't reset itself but I haven't gotten any emails since early this morning. There have been five posts to this thread alone since I last got a notification.

I'm beginning to feel like Alice in Wonderland - curiouser and curiouser!
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 21:11
Forum Founder

I'll answer multiple posts in one place to address all issues raised so far:

Quote:
I'm only getting email notifications due to my change in email address.

The relates to the email server problems we had prior to fixing it, it currently works correctly as far as I can tell.

Quote:
When I tried to go back to my old/original email, I got locked out.

Changing email requires confirming/validating the change. This didn't work, orior to implemented fixes. It should now work properly.

Quote:
It's possible that several different browsers spontaneously became incompatible with this forum at the same time early this month.

Possible, very unlikely though. Let's first do the test steps outlined in earlier post to confirm if it's working, or not.

Quote:
I'm still not getting e-mail notifications anymore, and I use Eudora only <--not web-based. So in my case anyway it couldn't be browser-related.

Not receiving emails is not browser related. Having your forum subscription settings turned off on the settings page, is likely browser-related.
Quote:
Hmmm .... I just checked my UserCP and there are a number of threads I'm subscribed to that I haven't received a notification on. My notifications are still set to instant, it hasn't reset itself but I haven't gotten any emails since early this morning. There have been five posts to this thread alone since I last got a notification.

The notification will only be sent once, subsequent posts will not trigger notifications until you visit the thread and newer posts are made after the visit.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-10, 12:34

Plan: Rich's New Diet
Stats: 532/395/300 Male 6"6"
BF:
Progress: 59%

You can add me to the List of not getting my Email Notifications
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-10, 14:46
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcchevyman
You can add me to the List of not getting my Email Notifications

I prefer to add you to the list of members getting their notifications

Have you tried these steps? http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...66&postcount=24

Wa'il
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-10, 12:00

BF:

Just thought I'd check in to see whether there's been any progress, i.e. anyone started receiving email notifications in the past few days? Not me.

Meg
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-10, 13:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

not getting them here either.. I tried changing settings..an still no. going to try changing email, then switching back to see if that will work now.
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 09:02

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm not getting notifications, either, even on new posts I make.

When you say in your instructions to "re-subscribe" to your posts, exactly how should I do this? Change the "instant notification" in my preferences to something else, and then back again?

Or do I have to actually go back in and add another post to the thread?
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 10:06
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

There's no need to submit a post in order to subscribe to a thread

Simply open the Thread Tools tab at the top-right of every thread. Then click the Subscribe To This Thread link, which will open a page where you can select your preferred subscription type (instant notification, no email or whatever). Don't forget to click the "Add Subscription" button.

Changing the subscription options in your user control panel will only affect new threads after the change, not previous threads.

For more individualized control over previously subscribed threads, you can make changes from the Subscribed Threads page in your user control panel ... http://forum.lowcarber.org/subscrip...iewsubscription

hth

Doreen
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 10:26

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Since I'm already subscribed to a thread, when I click the Thread Tools button, the option is "Unsubscribe from this thread." When I do this on THIS thread, for example, it says "Unsubscribe from this thread." Even though everything is set to "instant notification," I'm getting no notifications at all, even from this thread.

I tried going to my Subscribed Threads page as you mentioned, selecting all threads, and again clicking "Instant Notification." Doesn't work. Still no notifications. I did this even before posting in this thread in the first place, so I should be getting notifications at least from this thread, but I'm not.

Even when I scroll down on the "Reply to Thread" page, it shows "Instant email notification" in the Thread Subscription field.

I should also add that I've had this set to instant notification for years now, and only now am I having problems. And no, I have not changed my email address.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 10:57

BF:

Same here, since May 4. I'm seeing other people mentioning the same thing in their journals, usually having tried the usual fixes. I wonder what happened on May 4. System maintenance, yes, but how did that prevent email notifications? Quite a mystery.

Meg
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 00:02
Forum Founder

Not ignoring your posts, still investigating, and it seems many are getting their notifications. Some of the checks will require going offline for a couple of hours, so it will be reserved for the weekend. In the meantime, please make sure to still check into your spam/junk folders just in case.

Wa'il