Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 18:41

Plan: CAD
Stats: 249.5/217/184
BF:45.2/36.8/25
Progress: 50%

Engineering...not my cup of tea...too much math for me. I'm going to the University of Ottawa to get an Honours Bachelor of Commerce(Majoring in marketing), I'm going into my third year of four.

This is the first time I've done the whole lo-carb thing. I've always been a solid person, and when I went away to university I was on medication that caused me to gain weight, so now I'm off the meds and down 41lbs.

Lol I do check the scale EVERY day, usually more than once, actually to be perfectly honest I barely ever walk past the scale without stepping on it-its good that its not in the bathroom I am near very often!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 19:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/171/150
BF:
Progress: 48%

Every day?! I'd go crazy.... I know that weight is supposed to fluctuate on a relatively regular basis... if I thought I was gaining for any reason, I'd probably freak--especially since I'm being so strict!

I guess I just have good will power when it comes to something I'm passionate about. And, I'm finally putting my foot down about my weight. I passed up free pizza at a lunch meeting at work the other day, and I passed up home-made cherry pie during the 4th. It's not easy, but I've found all you have to say is "NO". It doesn't solve my cravings, but with each "NO" I come that much closer to my goal weight... yay!

~Aaron
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 21:31

I have pretty good will power and my family knows and supports my weight loss. My dad got everyone food from Wendy's tonight but didn't get me any, I wished I'd known he was going because I would have gotten a chicken BLT salad, but ah well.

I'm on Carb Addicts, not Atkins, so I can have some carbs, at dinner, so thats why I think this works for me because mentally I don't have to cheat to enjoy foods I want, I just have to have them at dinner.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 13:29
Registered Member

BF:

That's a good way to work it. I'm enjoying the "phasing in" of carbs on Atkins now. I bought strawberries (yum!) and macadamia nuts (also yum!) yesterday when I was shopping. I can't have much of them, but even a little for a snack or dessert will be a piece of heaven compared to the 138th piece of bacon!

Had a busy weekend... even got out and played some full-court basketball. MAN am I out of shape. I had a few good moves, but could barely keep up with everybody out there...
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 16:24

Hey

I had strawberries last week, they were so good. I had banannas tonight, also incredibly good. I've been on Carb Addicts since the end of February and am really having to search to find interesting things to eat. I tried to make LC Ice Cream last night, I put in WAY too much vanilla extract and it was really gross, but I made some Sugar Free Jello.

I don't play basketball, namely because I have broken fingers on a couple of occasions, makes me think MAYBE basketball isn't my sport! lol I'm not in terrible shape, but not in good shape either.

I'm supposed to be heading out of town soon to pick up my friend so that we can go to the beach tomorrow, I'm so excited(despite having bathing suit issues lol)
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 19:29
Registered Member

BF:

Man... major headache... long day at work.

I'm writing mainly to see if I've finally gotten this whole "avatar" thing to work. And as for basketball, I've played since elementary school, so it's one of my only sports.

Hope you have a good time at the beach! I know the weather around here has been just perfect lately!

~Aaron
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 09:05

I had a great day at the beach, bought a new bathing suit, got sunburned(as always) and had a great time.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 10:17
Registered Member

BF:

Always sunburned, huh? Sounds to me like you're pretty fair-skinned like myself. I'm about 90% English and German--not meant to see the sun much! (But for some reason I have a fine appreciation for chivilry and beer... go figure!)

Glad to hear you had a good time. I know my headache's gone and work is just cruisin. I can't wait until tomorrow. I get to work out in the field for the next week-and-a-half to two-weeks depending on a few factors. But, at least it gets me outside, gets me away from the desk and gets me some much needed EXERCISE!

Hope the diet's goin well for you. I'm loving the added carbs... it's like a dream come true... *and* I looked at my keto stix this morning and I'm still burnin' strong which is terrific. I'm tempted to step on the scale, but I'll wait until Monday as the ritual must not be violated!

~Aaron
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 20:18

This is like sun burn #3 this season, and this one looks so dumb. I was so careful to wear my tankini because the straps are thin and normal and so my tan lines wouldn't look dumb, but my friend who put sun screen on me did some sort of very erratic pattern on my back and so I have a really weird looking burn!

What do you do? I'm stuck in retail this summer, working at a luggage store. Its not bad, but not exactly my life-long calling(lol it would make the thousands of dollars of student debt pretty pointless eh?)

I cheated yesterday, like all day, I was a bad low-carber(but damn I enjoyed it lol) but overall, the diet is going well, I've hit a slowed pace lately probably just because my body is regrouping after the weight I've lost.

You saying you can't violate your ritual is just like me. I go into the bathroom every morning, do my thing, and then go over step on the scale once without looking down(just to warm the scale up) then I weigh myself, this cannot be done if I'm wearing pants, it just isn't part of the ritual. lol I'm such a dork
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 23:39

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 178/159.2/131 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Ready I think

Hi everyone!
Well I am ready for this low carb thing, it is definately something I have never tried before. I just hope to fit in my tight jeans by the time next semester starts. I live in a college town and I eat take out more than I probably should. What are good take-out/college food choices for low carbers? Well I wish everyone luck and will power this summer. I'd love to see some before and after pics!!

Chunky Butt
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 06:11

Good Take out choices are salads, just take out any crutons and be careful of what dressing you use. Also you can get a burger as long as you take off the bun, don't get anything breaded either.

I think you'll find LCing to be a pretty good way to get rid of some extra pounds. I've been on it since Feb 26 and have lost 42.5lbs.

I have the same goal you do, to look great come the start of next semester!
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 08:30
Registered Member

BF:

I've heard that as long as a) you're not on induction and b) you don't eat more than a slice or two, you can scrape the cheese and toppings from pizza onto a low-carb tortilla once-in-a-while for a quick tasty treat.

Really, anything with protein and fat as a staple in the meal can be worked around. If it's a sandwhich or burger, take off the bread. If it's breaded chicken, take off the skin. It's up to you to simply count and eliminate carbs (and at the same time, eliminate pounds!)

~Aaron
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 21:40

I bought a Pilates workout tape today. Now I'm not one for perky aerobics workout tapes, but this one is pilates, ballet and yoga. It was really good, low on the perky annoying scale. Challenging but easy to understand what the move was.
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 23:14
Registered Member

BF:

What exactly is "pilates"?
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 08:12

Joseph Pilates designed these workouts, specific exercises to target your transverse ab muscle. They're super hard to do, but they work so well. Here's how well they work, Joseph Pilates DIED 100 years ago! They're still really popular.