Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-12-10, 02:09

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinguChick
Hi Amanda,
Wow, that is really interesting! Thanks for taking the time to write. I will check out that link. That makes a lot of sense.
Yes, I am actually really enjoying maintenance. I feel like I am in control, and learning so much. It is a good feeling. Before I lost the weight I said to myself that I would not relax when it came time to maintain, that I would work even harder at maintenance than at losing, because it is so important to learn how to maintain in a sustainable way. I'm reading a lot, and using fitday.com to count everything, so I can learn how my body responds to what I eat. I'm weighing myself every day as another way to gather information.
But it is a lot less scary than I thought it would be to begin with!
Yes, I totally hear you on the whole foods thing. I'm trying for 90% of my diet to be from whole, unprocessed foods.
Thanks again for writing!

You're welcome! Hopefully, I'll be joining you soon in maintenance land.

In some respects, I have been maintaining for the last few years, just within a broader band than is used on the maintenance sub-forum here. My weight has remained constant between 135lbs and 147lbs over the last seven years, so I'm not doing so bad, really...

I would just prefer to stay between, say, 135lbs and 140lbs, and not go up as far as 147lbs. I think I might manage it one day!!! At any rate, I think I have figured out a few important things about how my body works and reacts to different foods and drink, which I didn't use to know, so, armed with this knowledge, I think I now have a better chance of maintaining when I again get down to 135lbs or thereabouts.

Your story is an inspiration.

amanda
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-19-10, 11:26

Plan: Atkins with Paleo/Primal
Stats: 194/162/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Thank you Amanda! I'm sure you will get where you want to be, it sounds like you are getting more and more tools you can use to get there!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-19-10, 11:30

BF:

Well I'm three weeks into maintenance and still hanging at my lowest weight. So far so good! I'm still at 80-100 carbs a day, with the odd higher carb day, and lower day. I've been adding a bit of exercise, and drinking my water, and trying to up my fiber intake a bit. Feeling pretty good, except when I eat sugar, so I'm trying to avoid that. But even when I eat sugar, I just feel really tired, it doesn't make me want to eat everything in sight like it used to. But I know I shouldn't push it! I'm still tracking my carb & calorie intake, and trying to keep calories around 1800-2000.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-19-10, 11:53

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinguChick
Well I'm three weeks into maintenance and still hanging at my lowest weight. So far so good! I'm still at 80-100 carbs a day, with the odd higher carb day, and lower day. I've been adding a bit of exercise, and drinking my water, and trying to up my fiber intake a bit. Feeling pretty good, except when I eat sugar, so I'm trying to avoid that. But even when I eat sugar, I just feel really tired, it doesn't make me want to eat everything in sight like it used to. But I know I shouldn't push it! I'm still tracking my carb & calorie intake, and trying to keep calories around 1800-2000.

Hi PinguChick,

Sounds good!!! If your carb intake evens out at an average of 80-100g per day over a week, then you'll be able to splurge a bit on one day and then go lower on the next day (for example) to make up for it, you don't need to religiously stick to 80-100g every day.

I hope you are enjoying the new LC Maintenance Lifestyle!!!

But why do you count calories, if I may ask???

amanda
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-20-10, 17:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Hi PinguChick,

Sounds good!!! If your carb intake evens out at an average of 80-100g per day over a week, then you'll be able to splurge a bit on one day and then go lower on the next day (for example) to make up for it, you don't need to religiously stick to 80-100g every day.

I hope you are enjoying the new LC Maintenance Lifestyle!!!

But why do you count calories, if I may ask???

amanda

Thanks!
I'm counting calories - just ballpark, not religiously - just as another way to keep myself in check. I figure that if my energy requirements for the day are somewhere around 2000-2500, then if I am in that ballpark or under it, then I really can't gain weight. Also, I don't want to eat too little calories and end up hurting my metabolism. Also, it helps me control my portions sizes, because I don't really know when I'm "full"... my stomach holds a crazy amount of food! Ha!
I don't really know what I am doing, but I am trying to learn, and "train" myself to know how much to eat in order to maintain in a healthy way... hopefully!