Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 00:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Why don't you do the full-on Atkins induction and see how you feel after 2 weeks? Tackle one thing at a time. When you're more clear headed from carb detox, then you can think about what you want to do next. You sound like your on the brink of change. Don't let your past hold you back.

It's not only the wine that makes you fat. Red wine has approximately .5 grams per ounce and white has .25 which is not that bad. It's your daily eating and drinking choices that matter. Bad carbs cause your insulin to store fat. It doesn't matter if they come from bread or chocolate.

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 06:51
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Hello Karen
You are very inspiring to me. I have been trying to do Atkins, but as I said I always cheat and have the wine after the day is done.
Not only that, as I sit here and type this, it is 8am and I am answering e-mails and of course reading threads here on "locarber", plus I'm on my second cup of coffee . So I guess I'm not really doing Atkins now am I?
You are so right when you suggest I am on the brink of change.
About 8 years ago I also miraculously (sp) lost my need to drink wine. It was amazing, I was doing a low carb plan then too. I was about 3 weeks into it, and walking every day and using that time for meditation and prayer. I live in the Adirondacks, and quiet back roads are beautiful and inspiring places for spiritual mental journeys. One day as I was walking and praying, and asking God to help me with my problem (as I had been doing for weeks) , I felt answered and lifted, and definitely knew I would not have a problem with giving up drinking from that point on. It was just that way. Like a little miracle, I almost couldn't believe it! I lost 25 pounds and didn't drink for 6 months. I did develop a really bad sciatic nerve problem in my hip and leg, and had to eventually forgo my long walks. I also slowly let go of my spiritual time with God. I was thin and Thankful, and slowly started drinking again, around the Holidays. I was sure I would be able to manage myself and not get into the position I was in before I began my quest.
Well I was foolish! .....Here I am years later trying the same plan, only it just doesn't seem to be working. I know God is listening, But maybre he is too busy for me right now The world needs him in a big way right now! Besides I think he is making it harder this time around because he wants me to remember it , so I don't mess up again.
I know I could not have done it without spiritual help the first time, and I know the same thing now. Your note to me, just reminded me of what I really need to get through this. (Thank You) ....It has re-enforced me and given me more strength and determination to keep on walking and praying, I know it will work, and I know when it does I will not go back to my old ways ever again. I have learned it is just too difficult to start all over!
I am curious about how your miricle happened! Were you trying to do the diet and still drinking? And what exactly ( If I may ask) made you stop?
You mentioned that wine does not have a lot of carbs, I realize that, but for some reason it completely stops my weight loss, even when I carefully figure in the carbs. As I said I am really NOT a big eater, even though I look like I am.
Sorry this is so long, but I needed to get it out.
Susann
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 07:39

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 148/146/132 Female 5'61/2"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Good morning Susann!

Maybe there ISN'T anything wrong witht he wine that you drink, but if, like me, you sometimes feel uncomfortable with it, something's not right.

At the same time, don't beat yourself up about it. Perhaps instead of full strength wine you could try a wine spritzer or two before bed -- see how that works.

Above all, don't look at it as a failing, but as a chance to know yourself better.

Ttake care,

Joanna
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 08:40
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
I am curious about how your miricle happened!

It happened way before I started LC and I really don't know how it happened. I would like to think that it was my body - concerned with my survival - signaling my brain to stop. When I stopped drinking, I replaced it with sugar addiction. Then years later, I came upon LC and realized that I replaced one with the other.

I believe that your Higher Power is always there and ready to listen and advise. Sometimes we're just not ready or willing to listen which is fine. I also believe that your Higher Power will not put anything on your plate that you're not ready to swallow.

A book that you may find inspiring to read and easy to follow is Potatoes Not Prozac. With her plan, you gradually replace all the white things you eat. It's designed to heal your metabolism and her story is quite inspiring. If this idea sounds comfortable to you, I would focus on healing, rather than weight loss.

A lot of low carbers drink coffee! I wouldn't worry about it!

Karen
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 09:51
Registered Member

I think in the next few days If I can get the time, I will start the journal here, first I have to figure out how to do it......
It will probably make an interesting read about a month from now. Maybe my adventure will help someone else....That would be nice
Who wrote the book "Potatoes not Prozac'? I will get it.
Joanna, thanks for your ideas, I welcome them, they are pretty good. I have done the spritzer thing and it's not a bad idea, I'll let you know how it goes in the next few days.... Usually if I can go 2 or three nights without, then I'm on a roll. I'm just gonna keep on keepin on

(as my mother used to call me) OH.....Suzanna
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 12:07
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Who wrote the book "Potatoes not Prozac'?

Kathleen Desmaisons

Karen
  #22   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 06:13

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 162/147/140
BF:
Progress: 68%

This was one of the best posts I've read in awhile. It's so nice to have such support from everyone. Osuzana, hang in there and don't beat yourself up. I, too, loved my vodka and red wine but after LCing since Feb I find it made me feel so bad in the morning it wasn't worth it. Not that it is easy to give up but I do think twice about indulging. One thing I did was substitute a glass of mineral water, in a pretty wine glass garnished with a piece of lemon. One of my favorite times was when my husband came home from the office and we would have our drinks (he, beer and me, wine) and talk about our day.(I would save my martini's for the weekends). What I found was that the one glass I would have with him would turn into 2 and then more with dinner. I would not sleep well and feel very groggy in the morning. When I started to substitute the wine with the mineral water I found that it was more of a habit than anything and didn't miss the wine. And because I slept well and felt so much better in the morning that was a good reminder in the evening! There are still times where I will get lazy and have more than one glass but I'm always reminded in the a.m. Habits are hard to break but you can do it! Good luck and let us know how you are doing!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 10:36

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 150/125/115
BF:
Progress: 71%
Thumbs up

Osuzana

I am on the Montignac low carb diet and have for years enjoyed red wine. On this diet we are allowed red wine after a meal. So I still have my 2 glasess after 9 PM and throughly enjoy them. Red wine has health benefits and I can only hope it is counter acting all that fat that I am now eating and will keep the blood flowing freely through me
  #24   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 19:00
Registered Member

Thank you all so much for your encouragement I have to say it is so good to still be hearing from people on this subject. There seems to be a lot of interest in this subject, and I am glad. It helps me to know that I am not all by myself in this struggle. I know I will be able to get a handle on this eventually, mainly because I am really looking for a change.
I bought the book "Potatoes not Prozac," and found it to be very interesting.... It certainly had a lot written in there about me I think I will follow this program and see where it leads me... One good thing is, I happen to love Potatoes
Karen suggested I get the book. Thank you Karen, good advice.
I am very curious if anyone else here on this site has followed the program.... I would love to here from you, on how you managed, and how the program worked for you, maybe I should post a new thread with that Topic...... Osuzana
  #25   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 14:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/130/115 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Red wine

I hope we can continue with this thread, because it's something I'm dealing with too. I used to lose quite well without worrying about alcohol but now within 10 lbs or so of my goal I feel that the wine is the only thing standing in the way. Right now I don't feel I have a problem because I've just come back from a week's vacation and have been drinking much less than usual (couldn't afford to, in restaurants!) but other times I have felt it may be causing health problems and exacerbating a middle-age depression. So I hope we can all help each other out here. Without losing our low-carb focus, of course!

By the way, I'm unclear on the Potatoes and Prozac--are you supposed to eat potatoes (not a chance) or avoid them (you're supposed to avoid white food, right?)

Janis
  #26   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 16:15
Registered Member

What I gathered from the book and the web site was that people who are sugar addicts benefit greatly from this program. It is more of a healing for sugar and alcohol users, who continue to crave one or the other. Many people today suffer from depression and they are on 'Prozac" The program offers a way to naturally pull your self away from these addictions, so you can get on with losing weight without such a struggle.
The potato is eaten every night before bed to balance seratonin levels in the brain, which are out of wack in all people who are ssugar addicts. Wine is the most simple form of sugar there is, so the body burns it before anything else. That is why I, and others who consume it don't lose weight normally.
I am thinking of doing this program, but I will not be able to do the lo carb because of the potatoes and other aspects of the plan.... which kinda bothers me because I love the way I feel on a low carb diet. I'm still reading the book and giving it deep thought!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 17:03
Forum Founder

BF:

The chapter on losing weight is in the middle of the book. What she says essentially is that you have to start with the healing process in mind, not weight loss. You shift towards green things rather than brown things, which along with protein at every meal puts you on a LC plan.

Karen
  #28   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 18:48
Registered Member

Oh!
  #29   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 08:19

Plan: Body for life - with lo-carb option
Stats: 165/165/133
BF:43/43/23
Progress: 0%
Cool Just to say hi........ me too.

Yep red wine.............why did they ever invent the stuff??? that's what i think some days..
I totally relate to u, susanna, and i too spend countless days thinking "Right, from today i'm not going to drink any wine today, or on a weekday" and before wednesday is here i'm looking to see if we've got any red wine in the pantry.

My friend recently had a heart attack and he's only 43! He has always mocked me and my WOL and WOE but i justed told him it worked for me and we never really talked too much about it. Well, in the hospital last week we all sat talking to the Sister and she was talking about his lifestyle and he said "i only drink red wine and diet cokes" ( which is true! not together u understand!)
And she said that red wine was perfectly safe. In fact TWO GLASSES a day is Reccommended!!!!!
And do u know what i did.......I interpreted that into "it's ok to drink two glasses of wine a day...even when i couldn't stop drinking if i WANTED TO!" I made it say that i DON'T have a problem....do u understand what i'm saying. She was talking about in terms of post coronary health, not general everyday life, not in alcoholics everyday life!

It's only after thinking about it that i realise what i've been trying to do. KID MYSELF! I have a fantastic partner,a lovely house, a lovely dog and a wicked job and i'm doing a brilliant eating and exercising plan to give myself the optimum body shape and size and to be strong and healthy, i don't smoke and i don't do DRUGS and i don't even drink caffeine..........................
But i still have to fill a gap ( where it is i don't know) with the alcohol.

I hope you don't mind me venting like this but it's the first time i've talked to anyone other than tom about this.

I'm actually very happy to be typing this, even though it upsets me to know it's ME and it's true.

I have friends who are pretty similar to me, but their partners are the same too so i suppose their behaviour doesn't seem so odd.

Well i hope you all keep this thread going as this has done me the world of good.... thank you all for being so honest.

I mentioned that i think of wine as filling a gap. When i was in my 20's i used to buy a can or two of cider on my way home from work and drink it on the way home, before my mom could see!That was because i hated my job.
Then as i got older i used to drink in the pub with my friends and luckily they seemed to get drunk much quicker than me so it sort of stopped me in my tracks.

Then over the last two years i've been drinking red wine when i want to "chill" or if i'm "stressed" and i'm now listening to some excellent music and it's making me realise that there are other ways to "chill" and "relax". I even try and fool myself by giving it up for a week and then i am convinced if i wanted to i could drop it altogether........ What a fool!

I think it used to be the way i felt after a drink, but after drinking a couple of bottles most weeks for about 2 years i don't think i get that anymore. I used to like how i didn't feel sad or fed up or bored anymore!!!!! I mean who drinks just when they're bored. I am pitiful..... i know that already.

I'm going to go and have a few minutes now because i have some serious thinking to do.

Thanx to you all
Have a fantastic day and i hope to speak to you all soon
Phoebe
  #30   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 13:56

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 148/146/132 Female 5'61/2"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Phoebe!!!!

You are not pityful!!!! In fact, to face yourself so honestly takes a HUGE amount of courage. I know, because I still can't face up to the fact that I hve a drinking "problem", and I attend AA meetings!!! How pathetic is that???

One thing I've learned there (in the three meetings I've been to) is that all alcoholics are trying to fill that 'hole'. Being an alcoholic is about not knowing who you are. It's NOT abut being weak and bad and hopeless.

Oh hell, I'm at work and can't do this. I don't have time. But Stay in touch. I'll try to write mor tomorrow!!

All the best,

Joanna