Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 07:09

Plan: Zone
Stats: 235/190/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I started with Atkins in April, 2002 and moved over to PPLP in July. I mainly wanted to be able to eat more salad and occasional fruit and wine. I don't journal here, but my daily food intake looks something like this

2 eggs w/cheese, and 3-4 slices of bacon
OR, 2 slices of baked, flavored tofu w/oz. cheese melted on top
coffee with half n half and splenda

celery w p.b.
or 2-3 slices of lunch meat with swiss cheese

canned tuna or chicken w/mayo, celery, onion
2 c salad w/Neumans dressing

maybe a half apple w/pb
OR a WASA cracker w/cream cheese
OR half a EDGE protein bar
OR, some macadamia nuts (one oz)

One chicken breast, one pork chop , one beef/bison burger OR one serving of fish
w/ ~ 2-3 cups of salad and Neumans Dressing

maybe some fresh raspberries (or frozen)
Occasionally I'll have about 10 pork rinds w/salsa/sourcream
Occasionally, one to four glasses of wine on the weekend

I don't miss bread so I don't hunt down the low carb kind.

So, I don't know, but I guess this looks like a combo of Atkins and PPLP. I haven't done the measurement thing to figure out BF and appropriate protein intake. I think I get anywhere from 20 -40 carbs a day.

I was really strict and recording everything for the first 3 months, now I just eyeball it. I feel great and am losing inches ... slow but sure. I'm not in a big hurry, as long as I keep feeling great.

kat
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 07:51
Registered Member

Plan: Keeping carbs under 20
Stats: // Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:
Cool

I just started Protien Poer two weeks ago. So far its' working for me. I am down 12 pounds. I should also mention that I do a pretty hard workout with weights three days and running intervals the other two days during the week.

Here's my journal link from fitday:

[URL=http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=dseckler]

If some of the days look low in terms of food consumed, that's cause I've not finished filling those days in because I was too busy.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 13:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 135/125/120
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Protein Power Person

Hi There. I'm pretty much following the Eades' plan. I picked up this book about 4 months ago and it's really changed my life dramatically. I was VERY leery of Dr. Atkins. I got turned onto their stuff by buying Fran McCullough's "The Low Carb Cookbook." I'm really having good success with it. I had an injury a couple of months ago which kept me from going to the gym and I also had quit smoking at the time - I was VERY concerned about weight gain (plus I thought my high carb, low fat/protein diet was making me sick - always hungry and always tired!) during the past few months. So, I gave it a try. Low and behold, I actually lost 5 lbs on their plan! I wasn't even working out, and I was eating more food than I EVER dreamed of - like enough to not be hungry all the time!! However, I was very anxious about how the diet would affect my cholesterol count. Guess what? I just had my blood work done two weeks ago and my triglycerides were the lowest they have EVER been - 52 was the count!!! My family has a long history of high cholesterol and heart illnesses and I just couldn't believe it!!! I'm still trying to drop this last five pounds, but I'm trying to be easy about that. I mean, I have quit smoking. I LOVE not counting calories and being all freaked out when I get hungry in between meals.

Love to hear back!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 14:11

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default McCullough

Quote:
I got turned onto their stuff by buying Fran McCullough's "The Low Carb Cookbook."

Right -- I did too -- she has some good advice on plans, eating, supplements, and recipes. Eventually I bought the Eades' book too, as it has some more of the specifics, and togther those two books are key to my plan.

I'm glad to hear you triglycerides are down -- mine have been sky high (between 500 and 1500) and I just went in yesterday for my first blood test since I have been low carbing -- my fingers are corssed!

RA Harris, North Jersey Highlands
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 12:42

Stats: 135/125/120
BF:
Progress: 67%
Wink Bloodwork Results

I'd really like to hear how your results come out too! I was absolutely blown away by the numbers I got back especially in light of all the hoopla the last 20 years about restricting fat intake. All of it was really "a big fat lie"!!!!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed with you!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 22:16

Plan: protein power
Stats: 207.5/202/150
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question blood work

I would be interested in the results of your blood tests. Will look forward to seeing them. I started PP on the last day of Aug. and had my cholesterol tested that morning. My Dr. will be be retesting it in Nov. I'm hooping for good results. I quit taking my Lipitor so that I can compare results.
Judi
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 22:22

BF:
Default Speaking of blood work.....

I just had mine done yesterday. Everything is in normal range. Triglycerides are 58 , down from 81 in June!!!. Glucose is 100. This wol/e is amazing!! However, both types of cholesterol are up. LDL was 107 in June and is 116 now. HDL was 48 in June and is 58 now (that's a good thing!). Total cholesterol is 180 up from 171 in June. I know this is within normal range, but I can't help being a little disappointed and wondering why. Any ideas?
good luck to others waiting for results.

kat
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 06:56

Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%

I have just done a quick calculation and your

total cholesterol / HDL is less than 5 ( in fact it is 3.1)

This is a very acceptable ratio and I would not worry inspite of your raised cholesterol . It is the ratios that are important not the numbers .

If you want to boost your HDL and lower your LDL I would recommend No Flush Niacin 500 to 1000mg daily .

In 1 month after 500mg No Flush Niaicn

July to August

total cholesterol 247.8 to 235.8 dropped by 12
LDL 175.2 to 165 dropped by 10.2
HDL 53.2 to 56.36 raised by 3.16
triglycerides 42.5 to 30.88 dropped by 11.62
total/HDL 4.65 to 4.18 dropped by 0.47

I am now on 1000mg No Flush Niacin daily .

I also drastically changed the type of foods that I was eating . I stopped eating 15 eggs per week , bacon every day etc. If you want more information on Niacin I can help you .

Rob

Last edited by Rob : Sat, Sep-21-02 at 07:15.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 07:03

BF:

Thanks, Rob! I sort of thought that, but wasn't sure. I feel better already!
raharris, I eagerly await your test results!
kat
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 10:40

Plan: low carb
Stats: 250/250/180 Female 5 feet 11
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Switching from Atkins...

...to PP as of today. I just can't believe the amount of protein I'm to have a day- it sounds like a lot but I'm going to test it out and see if I can get some results. On Atkins I lost a little weight and have been stuck- I am losing the inches...but seeing my weight go down would be better.

#26   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 17:05

Plan: Protein Power, Atkins
Stats: 176/167/151
BF:19
Progress: 36%
Default details ?

Rob
your diet looks very close to what we are all beginnig to realise is the correct LC mix: med-high fat, but non-saturated, hydrogenated, good fats only. Moderate protein (protein also induces insulin if overdone), Carbs from green vegetables.

Any chance you could post your diet in detail with quantities ? Thanks
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 05:22

Peter ,

as you dont have a journal I'll reply here .

It took me quite a while to twig onto the correct way to eat LC. In the beginning ,I lost a few pounds of fluid on induction but then it all stopped and no matter what I did , and with all the nice aunties here giving me friendly advice , nothing budged .

I dont say that I am an expert , cos each persons experience here is unique . This is just my experience .

I read the Eades book " Protein Power" and I felt that they knew what they were talking about ( being a man of science myself) . There is never such a thing as eat all you want , thats just a marketing ploy I think . It does at the end of the day boil down to calories like it or not . The trick is that with a LC WOL you need much less because you are satisfied much easier . It is true that you should not eat more than 10-12 X body weight in calories or you will never loose weight unless you are an olympic type athlete . Also never to eat less than 1000Cal cos it will all come to an abrupt halt and you will get hungry , a very bad thing for LC. Never to let yourself get hungry cos of the insulin spikes .

Having read alot around the subject I use the following principles

1. I dont eat more protein than is suggested for my level of physical activity and body weight according to PP
2. I dont limit fat intake but I have found that the more fat I eat ,the less I loose
3. I use the good fats namely , polyunsaturated omega 3 ( from flax oil, and ground flax) ,omega 6 ( olive oil, peanut oil ) , monousaturated ( avocado ) ,butter ghee or vegetable ghee for frying , butter in baking and occasionally sunflower oil for deep frying . I restrict the amount of cream and cheese and fatty bacon and eggs that I eat because of the high saturated fats but I do indulge once a week . I am aware of saturated fats cos my cholesterol went up for the first time ever when I started LCing but I was eating abnormally large amounts of saturated fats .
4. I eat carbs 25 to 30 grams daily , seems to go very slow and stop at 30 . I did find that increasing the carbs seemed to speed things up .
5. My supplemts include elements Mg, Ca, K , psyllium husks, multivitamin, No Flush Niacin and Folate

A typical daily menu for me is:

B: high protein shake ( 20 g protein) with ground flax and psyllium husk
2 flax muffins with decaff coffee
S: 2 flax muffins or 1 Oz nuts
L: bunch of green leaf salad with vinaigrette dressing
20 grams protein ( 100g cooked meat / fish /chicken)
D: reapeat salad or sauteed veggies
20 grams protein ( meat/fish/chicken )
S: 2 flax muffins/ fruit eg : strawberries by the cupful
I try to be creative with my meat/chicken/fish dishes, use LC sauces bought or home made ,tinned sardines in oil , tuna ,salmon

On the weekend I enjoy a real fry up , of sausage ,eggs , cheese omlette etc.

Hope that helps

Rob

Last edited by Rob : Sun, Sep-22-02 at 05:31.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 15:02

Stats: 270/208/195
BF:30/20/15
Progress: 83%
Default Protein Power!!!!

Been on the PP Plan since July 19, 2002..WAS 270...now 238.5..so needless to say..I am a believer!

Bought the book..the old one..I guess..Protein Power and the fancy cassettes and video/booklet thing on e-bay for like $7.00 plus S/H..
so..32 lbs in about 2 months..I should be the Eades Poster Boy..lol..never had any problems, never tok potassium, still in Phase 1 til I get to around 225 or so..then I'll switch to Phase II.

I did a quick read of them all..liked this one the best..

Jim
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 15:08
Registered Member

Stats: 174/138/135
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Protein Power

Rob in London

Enjoyed your posting......can I ask you for some clarification ? You mentioned that you eat about 6 flax muffins daily----can I ask which recipe you use...........and also you commented that you "free for all" when you stall.........what exactly do you eat?
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 15:59

Hi PJ,

I have my own recipe for flax muffins and yes I do eat 6 per day . I can give it to you if want . 2.5 grams per yummy yummy muffin .

When I get stuck I do tend to indulge over a 24 hour period (although I find that the longer I do this WOE ,the less I can take in cos I feel physically ill afterwards )

My opinion is that a little feast tends to kick start my body into further weight loss ,also it breaks the monotony of stalling

Rob