Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-10, 07:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/150/130 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Trying to conceive - how low carb should I go?

HI All,

Anyone like to share how many (approx) grams of carbs you were on when trying to fall pregnant?

Did you stay at this level throughout pregnancy or did you add more carbs in?

Would like to hear the success of others!

P.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-10, 08:02
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

It would also be worth getting your (both partners) vitamin D status above 50ng/ml each with Effective strength Vitamin D3 not only does each sperm have Vitamin D receptors and require vitamin d for optimum motility but it's also necessary that mothers take at least 4000iu/daily to create optimum bone density in the baby.

It usually take 2~3months to become vitamin D replete, Most people with PCOS are vitamin D DEFICIENT so the sooner you start the better.
You will also require extra magnesium to help vitamin D function fully.

If you want to ensure you are able to provide nutritionally complete breast milk than at latitude 32N we know that takes a daily 6400iu vitamin D3 intake

For IVF the lower your Blood glucose levels the more chance you have.
basal glucose level appeared independently as a significant positive predictor of the number of fertilized oocytes and the number of embryos. We conclude that blood glucose concentration and insulin resistance respectively are independent predictors of IVF outcome.

I can't see any logical reason why the same shouldn't hold true for the DIY method.
The less carbohydrate you eat the lower your blood glucose.
If you can get under 50g daily then go for it.
It may help if you bought or borrowed a Blood Glucose monitor and checked what foods raised your BG levels, you may find you have some surprises.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-10, 15:12

Plan: Atkins/Meat & Egg
Stats: 218/159.2/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 71%

HI! I've been lowcarbing for 1 year now since the birth of my daughter. I breastfeed & have lost 90lbs! Anyway, I am trying to get pregnant, but just got my first post partum aunt flow, so i'm just now seeing if my cycle has truly returned or if I'll have a anovulatry cycle, where I don't ovulate, we'll see though

Anyway, I eat about 20 grams a day of carbs, sometimes, over sometimes under. I've gotten to where I can manipulate my body pretty well over this last year, so I just got by how hard core I FEEL like being! lol.

Once I am pregnant I plan to stay about the same, but more dairy & a little grains, whole grains only. Like honey & oat bars or oatmeal, but limit it to one extra thing a day, but of course eat what i'm craving, in moderation. I plan to stick mostly to plan througout my pregnancy, unless my body sends me signals that it is not working
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 15:59

Plan: ketogenic/VLC
Stats: 522/456/399 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 54%

When I got pregnant I was eating about 20 grams or less also... after I found out I was pregnant I went back to carbs like the Dr. recomended... and lost her at 3 months. Im not blaming the carbs. I was/am alot heavier than most, and carring a child at this weight can be dangerous. But if I am ever pregnant again, I will probably stay at 50 grams or less.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 17:19
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I second Hutchinson with around 50 net carbs and 6400 IU/day of vitamin D3.

Adequate levels of vitamin D make sperm more motile, make women more receptive to sperm; help PCOS women get pregnant; help all women carry to term; ensure the baby's body and brain develop optimally; and, prevents gestational diabetes and preeclampsia.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 23:18
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
I second Hutchinson with around 50 net carbs and 6400 IU/day of vitamin D3.

Adequate levels of vitamin D make sperm more motile, make women more receptive to sperm; help PCOS women get pregnant; help all women carry to term; ensure the baby's body and brain develop optimally; and, prevents gestational diabetes and preeclampsia.

Zu I agree with everything about this statement except the last sentence. I would say that it decreases the risk.

Other than that, if I could convince all my pregnant patients to stay around the 50 mark it would be a miracle.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 03:26
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Zu I agree with everything about this statement except the last sentence. I would say that it decreases the risk.

Other than that, if I could convince all my pregnant patients to stay around the 50 mark it would be a miracle.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
Circulating 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels in Fully Breastfed Infants on Oral Vitamin D Supplementation Only when you can show that gestational diabetes and preeclampsia also occur in women with a natural primitive 25(OH)D level that allow human breast milk to flow naturally replete with Vitamin D3 then you will have evidence to support the claim that having optimum vitamin D status doesn't prevent these conditions.

IMO it is better to err on the side of safety and in this case adopting the 25(OH)D level our DNA evolved to function best appears safer than the levels currently achieved by most people.

Maternal Vitamin D Deficiency Increases the Risk of Preeclampsia

Maternal Plasma 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentrations and the Risk for Gestational Diabetes Mellitus

What really distresses me is the ludicrous amount of vitamin D in prenatal vitamins for mothers. The fundamental principle of medicine is first do no harm. Yet anyone who knows anything at all about vitamin D understands if we want to get women out of Vitamin D deficiency we have to use EFFECTIVE AMOUNTS of D3 or recommend effective amounts of sun exposure.

The limited amounts currently recommended by health professionals do more harm than good because they leave vulnerable people Vitamin D deficient.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 08:59
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
IMO it is better to err on the side of safety and in this case adopting the 25(OH)D level our DNA evolved to function best appears safer than the levels currently achieved by most people.

I totally agree.

Funny (or not so funny) I have a bit of a difficult time with my collegues who think that I'm "over testing" for Vit D levels. I have not yet tested one person whose VitD levels are 50. The lowest was 9

The only person who I know who was tested who had adequate levels was my mom (but she doesn't count). She and I have the same doc--he told her "I can see Lisa's hand in this" She takes 4000/day. My doc is great--he basically does what I want him to

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 02:17
Registered Member

BF:
Default Low-carb gynecologist

Low-carb gynecologist
Interesting Heartscanblog post relevant to this thread.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 10:54

Plan: Atkins - weight is kilos
Stats: 140/125.1/85 Female 173 cm
BF:
Progress: 27%

I was at 10 carbs when i got pregnant. Bit more - bit less but generally in that area.
I stopped my lc woe when i found out but for a long while i kept my diet very healthy and didnt overdo the carby stuff. A book written my a danish gyno and a dietitian actually states that its important to stay semi lowcarb during pregnancy since this will help you feel god and help the fetus stay in place. I totally stopped being lc when i was a bit into my third trimester and i gave birth a month too early. Im not sure if it was my sugar intake but i must admit i have been wondering. If i get lucky again i a plan on staying lc in the sense that i opt out on bread, potatoes, rice and pasta along with all candystuff. And i will drink organic milk half a litre a day like recommended.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 02:19
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzzan
I totally stopped being lc when i was a bit into my third trimester and i gave birth a month too early.
Keeping vitamin D3 status reasonably high with at least 4000iu/daily throughout the pregnancy is associated with fewer complications and less chance of going into labor early, giving birth prematurely.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 15:00
Registered Member

BF:

#13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-10, 12:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240.5/214.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I was at 20g or less a day when I got pregnant ( in fact low carb and metformin is the only reason I was able to conceive) my Dr. made me raise my carbs to between 75-100g per day. During the first trimester. After the 1st trimester when all the organs and essentials have formed he allowed me to drop down to 50gs a day.

I highly recommend you stick with it, I didnt after the 2nd tri- gained 80lbs and and still trying to lose it.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 00:14
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 168.6/166.8/115 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

I was under 20g a day, got pregnant and didn't know it at the time was just LCing to feel better.

At 4 months I was hiking, biking, dirtbiking, running up and down stairs, lifting all kinds of things and the baby was so strong and also I barely looked pregnant at 4 months.

I'm going LC again and hoping for a healthy and happy baby this time that lasts. Last time I quit LCing after induction this time I want to go all the way, it helps.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 14:25

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I am currently TTC and am doing a modified low carb. I keep my carbs under 150 a day. Sometimes 100. I only eat healthy whole foods and no sugar/flour.My reproductive endocrinologist is on board with this plan.