Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 12:45

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

A lot of people here seem like they are undertreated. If you are still shedding hair, still cold and cannot lose a pound you are either on the wrong med for you or on too low a dosage. Your Free T3 should be in the top third of the range and your Free T4 at least mid range. Many people don’t do well on T4 only meds such as Eltroxin. Their body does not convert T4 to the active hormone T3. Such people do better on desiccated thyroid such as armour. It is hard to find a good doctor who understands the thyroid. However, I have lists of good thyroid doctors if anyone wants to pm me.

Go to www.stopthethyroidmadness.com or www.realthyroidhelp.com for further information.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 02:40

Plan: My own
Stats: 212/208.4/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Dont know
Progress: 5%

Its odd to me to see so many of the last people talking about cold feet and hair loss.. I didnt know that those were symptoms of Hashimotos as well.. and I live with this on a daily basis. The hair loss is BAD! When I take a shower.. I lose literally HUGE clumps and even throughout the day I notice it falling out strand by strand! My feet seem to ALWAYS be cold and clammy too but I had no idea this was something to be concerned about. One other thing I have is an itchy flaky scalp. One doc. said it might just be dry scalp, another said dandruff and another said psoriasis... but I havent been treated for it yet. Im making an appt. next week because it has spread a lot! It used to be just the back of my head, not going up past my ear line... now its nearly my whole head and its starting to go past my hair line and become noticeable! YIKES! Anyone have anything like this? I've tried T-gel and other dandruff shampoo's and NOTHING has seemed to work. And Im getting really nervous that it has spread.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 02:57

Forgot to add: Some of the other symptoms I have include RLS (restless legs), dry scalp, cold feet, yellow vision (mainly only when Im sick), irritability, cracking/popping ankles (mainly when I attempt to run, but hurts bad enough I have to stop and rest them), ringing in my ears (CONSTANT! but I have had surgery on my ears before too.. when I was little), constant dry throat and lips, bloody gums (almost every morning I wake up with dried blood on my teeth, tongue and the roof of my mouth), and NO pupil dilation! The last time I went to the doc. she said my eyes were un-responsive to light and wouldnt dilate. I have never had a doc. tell me this previously so it could have just been a rare moment... but thought I would mention it anyway.
Some things I had BEFORE I started on levothyroxin (in addition to above): heavy/irregular/long lasting periods, no energy, weight gain, and pressure on my airway.
Any advice?
  #34   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherK24
NO pupil dilation! The last time I went to the doc. she said my eyes were un-responsive to light and wouldnt dilate. I have never had a doc. tell me this previously so it could have just been a rare moment... but thought I would mention it anyway.

The unresponsiveness to light and lack of pupil dilation means your adrenals are shot. They have been trying to take up the slack from your untreated thyroid. Read about it here http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.co...fa427ec4727299c, http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.co...fa427ec4727299c, http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.co...fa427ec4727299c and http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.co...fa427ec4727299c.

Weak adrenals generally do not do well with a T4 only med such as levothyroxin. Dessicated thyroid such as armour are what you need.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 08:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It sounds like you have something... I'd go to a doctor with a list of those symptoms written down. You don't sound healthy at all. Maybe thyroid, or perhaps an autoimmune disease or diabetes? If your doctor doesn't seem interested, time to find a new one. I'm fortunate in that when I went to my doctor with a list like that he took it as a challenge to figure out what was wrong with me.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 09:00
Registered Member

Plan: whole food
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 200
BF:
Progress:

i have hashimotos, im one 2 grains armour and 20mg HC
  #37   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 09:11

Hi Minerman

Are you currently raising your armour to get to an optimal dose or are your symptoms all eliminated on only 2 grains?
  #38   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 20:47
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

i probably need more armour,, and maybe more HC..

my last antibodies are sky high yet,, i have heard a good number of people with hashis need 3-4grains... i will probably slowly work up to 3 grains ish based on how i feel....
  #39   ^
Old Fri, May-08-09, 05:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineralman
i probably need more armour,, and maybe more HC..

my last antibodies are sky high yet,, i have heard a good number of people with hashis need 3-4grains... i will probably slowly work up to 3 grains ish based on how i feel....

Yes I have read and heard from people who are now totally symptom free that the 3-5 grain range is what most people need. Some people of course need even more, but usually that's due to low vitamin and mineral staus or sex hormones that need to be fixed in order to get the thyroid running.

You probably do need more HC. Most people are on the 25-35 range.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, May-08-09, 08:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

yes i'll get there soon enough

i just found out i have low renin, aldo, sodium so if may need Florinef is sea salt isnt going to be enough
i'll be starting HCG soon too... wow im getting on alot of drugs

i mean diet helps alot, but when it comes to hormonal imbalances i just dont think diet is enough,, i think you actaully need to give your body the hormones its not producing.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, May-08-09, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineralman
i think you actaully need to give your body the hormones its not producing.

Well it is recommended that we treat in this order:
1. Cortisol
2. DHEA
3. Aldosterone (and/or vasopressin)
4. Micronutrients
5. Thyroid
6. Try to Wean Off Of Adrenal Support
7. Sex hormones and growth hormone

Often times sorting out those at the top of the list will sort out those on the bottom of the list. You are not really taking "drugs" as such; you are replacing hormones your body SHOULD produce. These bio identical hormones are used in physiological, NOT pharmacological doses. Have you been tested for hypopit?
  #42   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 22:25

Yikes.. not a good docs. visit today! I found out that Im Type 2 diabetic and need to lose 85-90 pounds ASAP (gradually of course)! Im starting Metformin tomorrow which is an insulin reducing med that will help to stop producing so much fat. And it also helps turning sugar intake into good energy instead of storing it as fat. Im also starting a Body Analysis program in conjunction with my new meds and diagnosis. Its a group of experts that will guide me day by day, step by step in learning new eating techniques, lifestyle changes, and etc.

I also found out that I may have a kidney disease or worse, IC (Intersistitial Cystitus). I've been having some uncomfortable pain in my stomach since Monday and started having bleeding today. I gave the docs. a urine sample and they confirmed there is a LOT of blood in my bladder.

I also found out that my dry flaky scalp is indeed psoriasis. I get to see the derm. in about a month so will be getting on meds to keep that undercontrol too!

Its not fun falling apart at 24! But I am hopeful with the right diet and exercise and med control I can slowly regain my health and figure! lol I would love to be 120 again (my pre-baby weight).

Wish me luck!
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-09, 03:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/209/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi guys,

Just noticed this forum way down the list!!

I'm 23 now, but was diagnosed with Hasimotos at 21... I am on 150mg of Levothyroxine - I am from UK, I don't think they give people 'Armour' here, I've never heard of it.

Drugs have improved the symptoms but couldnt shift weight in any way shape or form, so I am back to trying Atkins (only been on it this week, so time will tell). I've been tested for insulin resistance and various other things to see if there was some other problem, but doc couldnt find anything... Although he is not the greatest doc in my opinion!

Symptoms I still get is joint pains, still have moments where i feel exhausted but not too often, I never had hair loss thankfully!!

Have others had weight loss success on Atkins??

xx
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-09, 05:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots23
I am from UK, I don't think they give people 'Armour' here, I've never heard of it.

Drugs have improved the symptoms but couldnt shift weight in any way shape or form, I've been tested for insulin resistance and various other things to see if there was some other problem, but doc couldnt find anything... Although he is not the greatest doc in my opinion!

Symptoms I still get is joint pains, still have moments where i feel exhausted but not too often, I never had hair loss thankfully!!

Armour is indeed available in the UK. There is tons of information for you here
http://www.tpa-uk.org.uk/

If you still have symptoms you are undertreated. Have a look at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for further information.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-09, 18:07

Plan: High Fat/Low Carb
Stats: 191/191/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about two years ago and tested positive for thyroid antibodies about a year ago. To test negative for the antibodies you must test below 35 (unsure of units). . . Well I tested above 170. It took practically pulling teeth to get my endocrinologist to tell me I had Hashimoto's disease as he was not concerned with the cause of my underactive thyroid. . .

I currently take 50mcg of Synthroid daily along with a Metabolic Advantage herbal supplement. I am not symptom free and my endocrinologist insists my symptoms are not cause by my thyroid. I suffer from hair loss, dry patches on the skin, chronic fatigue, brain fog, forgetfulness, cold extremeties, sore throat and difficulty swollowing... still. I switched doctors (to a DO) and seem to be on the right path for treatment.

I just started an LC high fat diet a few days ago and am beginning ketosis. The good thing is that even if I'm going through carb withdrawls I wouldn't notice the fatigue and foggyness hahah! I lost some weight on a low calorie diet and have been at a platue for about 2 months so we'll se how this works.

Good luck everyone and remember to be proactive in your healthcare because SO many of us with Hashimoto's are undertreated!!