Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 22:12

Plan: lacto-ovo moderate carb
Stats: 163/147/141 Female 5 ft 5 "
BF:
Progress: 73%

One thing we all probably agree on is that we should not overdo processed food. The less processed food we eat, the better our health would be.

Thats far more sustainable than sticking to strict ratios or grams of ingredients.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 06:01

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobha
One thing we all probably agree on is that we should not overdo processed food. The less processed food we eat, the better our health would be.

Thats far more sustainable than sticking to strict ratios or grams of ingredients.

Aimee likes this (too much facebook )
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 08:46

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Look up "skinny fat". Skinny people probably aren't any healthier, and might be less healthy, than overweight people.

yup.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-10, 13:06

Plan: high protein
Stats: 172/159/154 Male 178 cm
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 72%

I am convinced of the fact that carbs do a lot of harm to your body. CVD, AGE's, cancer, wrinkles..... you name it. Being overweighted isn't healthy either but when you keep exercising (the fit fat) you can compensate a lot. So I say : better fat on low carb (although that will be a real challenge) than eating carbs. Carbs are poison.

There's more to life than being healthy. If you don't like the low carb lifestyle just eat what you like best. But live with the consequences.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-10, 09:32

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 65%

I'm now 60. I've never been "skinny", but my entire life until about 36 I was definitely slim, not in the least overweight. I could eat what I wanted, and I always had quite a sweet tooth. That said, looking back I can see I compensated for my sweets. If I made a cheesecake and ate the whole thing in a couple of days, I naturally ate less in terms of calories for several days. Perhaps that helped keep me slim.

After my son was born, I put on some fat I have been unsuccessful in dropping for the 24 years since. My metabolism changed at the point of his birth when I was 36. Or perhaps once you put the fat on, THEN it gets hard to drop it. I've gone on umpteen diets trying to get rid of excess....I went from 175 down to mid 150's, and from there I've fluctuated between about 154 and 163. I've not once gotten down to the 130-135 I was from age 20 to 36. Very frustrating, and I eat so much less now than I used to.

Through doing Atkins and LC, I do believe I am extremely carb sensitive, more so than many others I know. The only diet I appear able to lose successfully on is Atkins, and Atkins induction at that. But it's slow slow slow.

Also looking back at my childhood and teens, there just weren't that many overweight people, particularly young overweight people. Is it the HFCS which is in so many foods now? The relative physical inactivity? Portion creep? It's hard to tell....certainly foods, chemicals in food, the prevalence of so much snack food (you can't eat just one!!), less activity due to electronics....maybe it's all these things.

As a kid, my mom cooked meals from scratch. We had real butter, fatty meats, bacon, eggs, but desserts were just occasional, we didn't snack on anything other than an apple or something similar, we were outside playing all day. My mom didn't have chips/crackers/cookies/cokes in the cupboard. Those things were seen as "special" and not part of a daily diet, that's for sure.

How to explain me now?: I'm fairly active, I eat virtually no processed foods, no cokes etc., yet losing weight is a continual struggle. I'm going back to the idea the once you gain the fat, it's the devil to lose it. At least, that has been the case for me. And since I'm also unable to eat gluten and I dont' do well with any grains, actually, I have to wonder what effect all the general population might have with gluten in their foods....we have a definitely gluten overload in the world today.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-10, 13:45

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Well I am pretty sure I am addicted to sugar As much as it hurts to admit that. I have been trying to rationalize why I should continue eating carbs and as much as I hate hearing it I think everyone who said it is better to be fatter and eat less carbs is right. I feel pretty awful on traditional lc but maybe it is just withdrawal. I am thinking of trying Schwarzbien now because it seems balanced, the carbs aren't that low and supposedly it helps regulate a messed up metabolism (I'm positive I have one of those) The forum seems kinda dead though.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, May-04-10, 13:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/181/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
Well I am pretty sure I am addicted to sugar As much as it hurts to admit that. I have been trying to rationalize why I should continue eating carbs and as much as I hate hearing it I think everyone who said it is better to be fatter and eat less carbs is right. I feel pretty awful on traditional lc but maybe it is just withdrawal. I am thinking of trying Schwarzbien now because it seems balanced, the carbs aren't that low and supposedly it helps regulate a messed up metabolism (I'm positive I have one of those) The forum seems kinda dead though.

If you are addicted to sugar, you need to get rid of it. I'm not hardcore like some of the people on this site- I truly believe life has balance, and even tho I believe the healthiest way to eat is lots of meats with some veggies n a little dairy, life isn't always perfect and you don't always have to eat perfect- but if you can't get away from the sweet stuff you are going to falter again and again. I think the biggest problem with diets like Weight Watchers n Jenny n all that is that you get into this mindset that It's Funtime, It's Fun to pick out your Little Meals and "What 200 calorie package am I gonna eat for lunch??" and "Oh, now I need something sweet, where's my 100 calorie, not as good as the real thing but at least its something, snack pack?" And what's in that snack pack? Some bleached enriched flour n yellow dye #30? I honestly kinda have a problem with the Anti-Frankenfood movement, but a GOOD chunk of the time, we're not talking about a few chemicals n preservatives, we're talking about something that has just about no nutritional value, that doesn't fill you up, and perpetuates a twisted relationship with food.

In response to the actual question asked, I honestly believe one can have a balanced, high carb, low fat diet, and be fairly healthy. All the research I've done seems to lead to an either/or, and I know that can be challenged, but when it comes down to it, all the experts can really prove that it's not a good idea to do both- high fat and high carb. I truly don't find weight to be very indicative of health at all. I think the REAL question implied is "Is it better for someone who already has a weight problem, and quite possibly a metabolism problem, to succeed doing a weight watchers type diet over a bacon and eggs diet?" and I think the answer is probably no. I don't think most people who do the high carb thing are going to have success when they already have issues with food and insulin resistance going on.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, May-09-10, 13:38

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Maybe it's just me....but I have a problem with the use of the term "high carb" as a dietary description.

Scientifically, I suppose a carb is a carb is a carb. But I can't help making a distinction among broccoli carb, potato carb, bread carb, blueberry carb, and chocolate fudge carb (to kind of shorthand the categories.) Maybe it all ends up as glucose in the blood. But personally I wouldn't worry too much about a diet high in green vegetables, a tuber now and then, and some fruit.

How "high" is high carb? What does the "high carb" consist of? I think those are important and individual questions. This is what Atkins OWL is all about.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 15:15

Plan: organic
Stats: 230/134/128 Female 5ft 4 in
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
That question has two assumptions. First, eating low carb keeps us fat or even makes us fat. That would be really hard to prove since most of us here cut out carbs to lose fat. Second, eating high carb keeps us thin or even makes us thin (do you mean lean?). Again, everybody here grew fat by eating high carb.

The question of thin. We can be thin two ways: Lean or emaciated. It's obvious which one is healthy. As Ancel Keys showed us in his semi-starvation experiment, we know that a high carb diet is what causes us to become emaciated. And neurotic but you didn't ask about that part.

The question of being fat. We can be fat two ways. Naturally like when a woman becomes pregnant and puts on more fat for example. Or artificially when somebody eats carbs, like fructose for example, which disrupts fat metabolism and produces obesity.

As you can see, there's a common theme with one way to be thin and one way to be fat: The high carb diet. It seems paradoxical until you realize that to be thin on a high carb diet, you must eat a semi-starvation diet (not enough food) and this means you must remain hungry continuously and suffer the neurosis that comes with this continuous hunger. Is that healthy?

You said you don't really stick to it for any length of time. Well, there's your problem right there. It's not low carb if you don't stick to it. Further, a woman's weight (not just body fat %) fluctuates with her menstrual cycle. If you stick to it for a month, then don't see any progress for a week, that might be why. Stick to it for 6 months, then see if you really stay fat on low carb. You said you can't see yourself eating this way for the rest of your life. Well that's your choice and I don't see how I can convince you otherwise. But there's the rub, low carb is not a permanent solution. The only way to benefit from it all the time is to eat like that all the time. But look at the flip side, the only way to grow fat from high carb is if you eat like that all the time. So maybe you could eat low carb during the week and high carb in the weekend. Of course, it all depends on how low carb you gonna eat and how high carb you gonna eat, and how much total carbs you gonna eat on average. If it comes out to more than about 100g per day on average (could be lower for you, I don't know, you gotta test), you probably won't lose much fat.

In my mind, there is no question that low carb is healthy, and high carb is toxic. If you want to really learn why this is so, then pick up the book Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Another good book is Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price, it's free if you look a bit or you can order it from some online book store or something. Yet another book on the subject is Not By Bread Alone by Vilhjalmur Stefansson, you can get that one free if you look hard enough.

Anyway, even if you don't read the books, stick around and you might just pick up some good advice here.

This is such a good post!! You hit the nail on the head!!! How did you get so smart!!!! Marilyn
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: 180DH/W.Price/BED
Stats: 145/135/140 Female 6"
BF:
Progress: 200%
Default High carb=toxic?

Quote:
In my mind, there is no question that low carb is healthy, and high carb is toxic. If you want to really learn why this is so, then pick up the book Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Another good book is Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price, it's free if you look a bit or you can order it from some online book store or something.
Here are links to online versions of Weston Price's book, for anybody interested:

http://www.journeytoforever.org/far...e/pricetoc.html
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200251h.html

I gotta agree with Shobha and bkloot--it's probably a little more complicated than LC= and HC= . For example, here are some toxic meals of both varieties (A=HC, B=LC):

a) a grilled-cheese sandwich (of white bread and processed cheese, fried in hydrogenated oil), doughnuts, and soda pop
b) health bar (of chocolate whey protein, peanut butter, artificial sweetener, and margarine)

And here are, at least in my opinion, some real food versions:

a) mashed potatoes with butter, roast beef, corn, carrots, and peas
b) fresh salad with chicken breast and olive-oil vinaigrette

To be honest, I find the mashed potato meal more satisfying than the salad...I'm not exactly low-carb success story, haha.

I know this is a somewhat old thread, but hope you find a solution that works for you, Aimee!