Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 20:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/227/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have been on WW about 10 times. Each time, I lose weight, and get fatter. TOO MUCH STARCH! And always hungry, never satisfied, and eat eat eat! Atkins is the only diet that ever worked for me, so hopefully it will work again! Day 1, and I'm determined!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 21:21

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I did WW back in the Dark Ages. Mostly I remember concocting some very strange recipes, like an "apple pie" made with saltines and gelatin?? Lots of cottage cheese, too. The program has changed a lot, I know. One of these days, I might waltz into a meeting with my Lifetime Member badge (at goal weight) and see what's what.

My main objection? Paying somebody every week to do what I can do on my own: eat sensibly and weigh myself. I'm too cheap to hire a Weight Loss Nanny.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 22:20
<---The Crazy One!

Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

I am never going to forget the time I had a personal trainer. He had a low cal, low fat menu he wanted me to follow. After a couple of weeks I lost some weight, but nothing great. It was like 3 lbs.

I asked him about Atkins and he said all the usual negative things that people are misinformed about. This was around the time that I first became curious with low carb.

So, I secretly did Induction behind his back. Every weigh in and fat caliper test he would be praising me about my incredible progress. After 3 weeks I finally became up front with him and he was completely floored. My weight and body fat % dropped rapidly. My muscles were starting to show.

He even started studying the low carb lifestyle.

So, usually the best things to do with a situation like that is to listen to your body and do what's healthiest for it. If you ever see that nutritionist again, flaunt your new hot bod and walk away.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 01:35

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 65%

I've noticed that like with so many other subjects, those who are most strongly and vocally against something generally know the LEAST about it, and have had no personal experience either. I'm a believer in the evidence I've observed with myself: On Atkins I lose weight easier and faster than with any other method. On Atkins I FEEL better, my entire digestive system straightens out. On Atkins I don't have gnawing hunger all day. On Atkins I can stick with the program far easier than with any other program. It goes on and on....so I say PHOOEY to the naysayers. Shame on them for not being better informed.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 11:47
Registered Member

Stats: 250/237.4/120 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

I think people are afraid of atkins because they think you'll be living on bacon and cheese. While I am a big fan of bacon and cheese I also have enough common sense that I realize that living off of those two foods will eventually kill me.

My biggest issue with WW is that I CANNOT eat all the food I need to eat to lose weight. I started off with a 32 point allowance and it was too much for me to eat healthy and still hit even 30 points let alone 32! I'd eat bad foods just so I could consume my 32 points.
If you're very heavy, I don't see how WW can work if you're trying to hit your magic number and eat healthily at the same time. You end up eating fast food and cake because you're allowed to and you lose weight but once you get down to 28 or 26 points all that goes out the window and you're trying to revamp your diet considerably and feeling starved in the process.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 13:09

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
you lose weight but once you get down to 28 or 26 points all that goes out the window
You've reminded me of another downside to WW. The more you succeed, the less you can eat. With Atkins, it's just the opposite. Your choices get more varied and interesting as you go along.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 14:02
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I lost weight on WW but I was starving all the time. I gained back all of the weight and more as soon as I started eating regular food. I really feel sorry for people on WW. They are messing up their metabolism and starving themselves for nothing.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 14:46

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

wow that's bs he pushes ww like that..
good for you to doing what you feel is best for you!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 17:44

I would imagine that the benefit of WW is the support. I've never been impressed with the content of the diet. For ME, that would be a total recipe for disaster.

After reading all the various Atkins books, all the low carb books, and going through Gary Taubes' book "Good Calories, Bad Calories"...which is THE definitive word on the worth of low carb, I've made my own decision, which by the way, is based on 1) a lot of research 2) personal experience and observations. A doctor or nutritionist here or there who disses Atkins just doesn't have the knowledge to make such a decision about it. Anyone who insinuates that Atkins is a diet of fat, fat and more fat has no idea what they are talking about! This person is relying on hearsay, rumor and innuendo, in my opinion.

By the way....I have celiac disease, which is you don't know, is an inability to digest gluten without severe physical and damaging reactions. In trying to get properly diagnosed for my symptoms, it took a good 10 years because the doctors simply DID NOT KNOW a thing about this disease. They were utterly and totally ignorant. So I've learned to be very, very skeptical about doctors and the like. They are not gods....they know what they've bothered to research and learn about, simple as that. Instead of putting down Atkins, why don't they learn all they can about it???

Rant is over now!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 17:47
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
I would imagine that the benefit of WW is the support. I've never been impressed with the content of the diet. For ME, that would be a total recipe for disaster.

After reading all the various Atkins books, all the low carb books, and going through Gary Taubes' book "Good Calories, Bad Calories"...which is THE definitive word on the worth of low carb, I've made my own decision. A doctor or nutritionist here or there who disses Atkins just doesn't have the knowledge to make such a decision about it. This person is relying on hearsay, rumor and innuendo, in my opinion.

By the way....I have celiac disease, which is you don't know, is an inability to digest gluten without severe physical and damaging reactions. In trying to get properly diagnosed for my symptoms, it took a good 10 years because the doctors simply DID NOT KNOW a thing about this disease. They were utterly and totally ignorant. So I've learned to be very, very skeptical about doctors and the like. They are not gods....they know what they've bothered to research and learn about, simple as that. Instead of putting down Atkins, why don't they learn all they can about it???

Rant is over now!

Several of us here went years with undiagnosed Celiac. My doc is also a good friend and he freely admits what he doesn't know. Which is good, because we work together to find solutions. He's a huge believer in low-carb. I wish I knew him years ago when nobody could figure out what was wrong with me. (Celiac.)
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Lily
Several of us here went years with undiagnosed Celiac. My doc is also a good friend and he freely admits what he doesn't know. Which is good, because we work together to find solutions. He's a huge believer in low-carb. I wish I knew him years ago when nobody could figure out what was wrong with me. (Celiac.)

I saw my doctor today. He's a great guy....when I finally figured out the celiac, he freely said to me "You know more about that than I do."

Today I told him I was on Atkins and how great I felt, and he said "Then that's the perfect diet for you, stay on it." I told him the stuff I eat and he thought it was great. It's nice to find a doctor who isn't up on a pedestal and thinking he knows it all when he really doesn't....at least I know where I stand, and this guy is very open about trying different things to solve problems.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 06:44

Stats: 240/240/157 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I had a doctor advise me to do south beach as it is less restrictive..but it seems to be more work. Atkins is basic....so I stick to it. Nutritionalists all will say something different....they find proactive views on certain diets and dispute others......stick to what you are doing.....this diet is alleged to cause heart failure and yet scientific studies now prove it lowers cholesterol and promotes healthier heart than low fat does
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-11, 14:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/161/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Wink

Hi, I understand because i heard it 5 years ago when i lost 20 pounds in three months and never looked so good im bottom heavy and my thighs seemed to melt away on Atkins...

but i let everyone get to me and tell me how i was hurting myself with all the meat i was eating (along with veggies and some lc fruit) but i gave in and im now at the highest weight ever in my life...im miserable and uncomfortable and i decided to say "Atkins is better than being fat and unhealthy" so you do what you want and so will i....

its my first day and i forgot all the great things i ate on Atkins scrambled eggs and steak! tonight is london broil and big salad..come on thats so much better than fries and hamburger, hot dog and knish,

I know it takes about 4 days for my body to stop craving and a couple of weeks for results so im not weighing in but only once a month and taking a tape measure every other week..

Sorry so long im pumped i hope we don't loose you to WW
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 12:34

Plan: >60 carbs, 1500 cals
Stats: 175/159/135 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

If he doesn't want your money, don't give it to him. Find a nutritionist/dietitian who actually knows something treating PCOS.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 12:37

Plan: >60 carbs, 1500 cals
Stats: 175/159/135 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
I've never been impressed with the content of the diet.

WW is glorified calorie counting. There's nothing magic about it. It seems to work for a lot of people, but those are people that it's likely LC wouldn't work for. People are different.