Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 20:48

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 168/128/115 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesurbius
had some Cabbage rolls on Sunday because we ran out of LC food. (I have 3 kids I also need to feed - so there is not just LC food in the house)
Just wondering, why aren't they eating a lower-carb diet as well? It benefits everyone, not just those who are trying to lose weight. You could let them eat everything you eat plus maintenance foods: lower sugar fruits (berries and melon), beans, very limited whole grains (optional). Cutting out sugar and white carbs is healthful for everyone, including kids.

BTW, I've seen Lindt 99% in either Walmart or CVS. I can't remember which. When I was maintaining my weight, I'd have a square of Lindt 85% every now and then... Endangered Species 88% bars were by far the tastiest! I used Lindt 99% for baking.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 07:52

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

I'm in Ontario, Canada, and I buy my Lindt at either Wal-Mart or Shopper's Drug Mart. Wal-Mart is cheaper, but they don't carry all the varieties (only up to 85%). SDM carries 90% (my fave), and the 99%. They were on sale at SDM last week 2/$5.

I keep my chocolate squares in the freezer, and break off two at a time. I enjoy eating it with a slightly sweetened cup of decaf. THe chocolate melts nicely in my mouth (hello yummy mocha!) and the sweeter coffee balances it.

I don't eat it every day, but go through a bar (5 servings) in about two weeks....it makes me feel 'normal' for lack of a better word to indulge now and then

I find the greatest thing about lc'ing...now I can eat two squares and be satisfied. Before I used to eat two of these milk chocolate bars in a sitting!
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 13:14

Plan: Classic Atkins
Stats: 275/272/165 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Just wondering, why aren't they eating a lower-carb diet as well? It benefits everyone, not just those who are trying to lose weight.

(a) Kids have different nutritional needs than Adults. (b) I'm trying to prevent my kids from following in my footsteps.

To touch on (b) .. rather than dictate what my kids eat, I have been teaching my kids to read labels and understand what they are eating. I encourage them to ask questions about what's in the food, and use their headsd to think as to whether they really want to eat it. I want them to make their own grocery lists, and choose their own foods from a young age so that when they are older and leave home they don't fall into the "eat what is easiest because mom isn't here to cook" routine. I think I have the only 8 year old that knows what Cholesterol and Simple Sugars are
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-10, 10:01

BF:
Smile

Lindt responded to my inquiry:

Quote:
Thank you for your email. We contacted Lindt France, where the Excellence bars are made and they have confirmed that our nutritional values are indeed correct. We have notified the USA of your findings. We calculated the calories again with the grams of fat, carbohydrates and protein and we are indeed correct. Since 1g of fat is equal to 9 calories, 1g of carbs is 1 calories and 1g of protein is 1 calorie, we take 25g of fat x 9 calories, 4g of carbs x 4 calories, and 7g of protein x 4 calories equals 269 calories.
They attached a spreadsheet that lists the FULL nutritional breakdown ... but I can't attach an .xls (Which seems strange) to this message .. so I PDF'd it and attached it.

Here is the P.L.A.N. Custom Food entry, updated with the information.

So I guess there is 4g of Carbs per 50g bar which does NOT include .85g Sugar and 3g Dietary Fibre.

Still - its definitely low carb, but perhaps not induction-low carbs.

Everything on the Canadian label matches their official breakdown except the Sodium. Their official breakdown says per 50g bar there is 20mg of Sodium, yet on the label it says 150mg.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 302870 listExc NOIR 99%.pdf (60.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Yesurbius : Fri, Feb-12-10 at 10:21.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-10, 11:38

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Well done for getting the accurate info from them!
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 22:18

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:

A few hours ago, I ate a cup of raspberries dipped in melted dark chocolate and coconut oil. Now I feel like I've swallowed a stone and can't eat anything else today. Dark chocolate had never given me indigestion, but my mum had the same thing happen to her yesterday. Beware.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 00:39

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer23
I love cocoa nibs...they're just little bits of cocoa bean, so no sugar or anything else. Bitter but moreishly nibbly

I like these too, I get the raw ones.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 08:08

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

I enjoy the peanut butter-chocolate flavor and I melt about half a bar and 5 tbsps of peanut butter and some sf syrup, mix it all together and make a bar, You just throw the concoction in some saran wrap (looks like poop- i wont lie), shape it, and put in fridge. Makes about 5 or more servings and is pretty low carb. Once it's cold has very nice pb/choco taste.

i use the 85%, but if i see the 99% might try that too and use more syrup....
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 15:46

BF:

I'm going to be bad and bump an old thread - but just because I think its important to weight in after some time.

As a notice to newcomers ... I am referring to a French-origin chocolate product by Lindt & Spruggli (France) that is imported and sold in Canada. The same-brand / company chocolate in the US is made in the US and has a different recipe / composition - making it quite a bit worse than the stuff up here in Canada.

Since my original post I have stopped Atkins then restarted many times. Specifically relating to the 99% chocolate I can say the following:

* The 99% chocolate, when eating no more than 1 bar a day, absolutely oblitherates cravings. It is a delicious food that can be nursed slowly over the course of the day and is an excellent substitute to chewing gum or sucking on sugar-free candies. Everytime I have done Atkins - the 99% dark chocolate has been great - and usually its a crutch for the first few weeks and then the cravings / need to eat stops and so does the chocolate

* As stated in the thread, there are a ton of health benefits to eating this type of chocolate. Magnesium levels, anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, and it makes you feel happy.

* Manufacturers and retailers have taken notice to the health attention consumers are paying to dark chocolate and the market has been flooded with newer dark chocolate varieties that really are no better than the milk chocolate varieties. Don't read this thread and think that all dark chocolate is low carb - or even all 99% dark chocolate is low carb. Do your homework.

* Its also important to note that the % of chocolate does not indicate its quality. Most baking chocolate is 100% but tastes like sidewalk dust. Remember that the % of Cocoa mass is quantitative not qualitative. Cocoa mass itself is a combination of cocoa solids, and cocoa butter (which are both extracted while processing the cocao bean. Many companies will add Soy Lechtin (a soy-based additive which is often rich in chemical residues - look it up - its nasty) as an emulsifier instead of Cocoa Butter .. because its cheaper. The 99% Lindt doesn't have this. If you are looking for a great brand of chocolate you will be looking for a 99% chocolate that uses high quality cocoa, real cocoa butter (with no soy lechtin). If I could find a brand that used cane sugar for that 1g of sugar instead of normal sugar - I would have switched to it already.

* I have successfully migrated a coworker to 99%. She was actually the one that gagged in my original post. I convinced her to try 85% .. 90% .. then moved to 99%. She's on a Low-Calorie diet and she eats this chocolate to curve her food cravings. I'll guess the fat content helps make her feel more full too. So my point is that if you find it bitter then try the 85% and 90%. You only need one or two bars of each in order to adjust your palette. Nurse them slowly: don't bite them - let them sit on the roof of your mouth and melt passively. The 85%/90% will not amount to a huge carb hit if you eat a bit at a time and nurse each bit. The benefit is that you'll discover a very Atkins friendly snack that can stay with you at all times on your dietary path. When I fall off the wagon - and eat pizza and ice cream and chocolate cookies ... we STILL buy the 99% .. its that good.

Lastly - you will see me saying Lindt 99% a lot - this is only because I have never found a product that is as good. As far as I know they are the only commercial 99% available in Canada outside of chocolatier shops (which are pricey).

If you are in Canada - you can obtain 99% Lindt chocolate at London Drugs and Real Canadian SuperStore. I pay $3.42 per bar at Superstore.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 20:49
Registered Member

Plan: General
Stats: 340/313/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

Another great option is getting cacao nibs, which is great for making your own bars with coconut oil and almonds, or for making hot chocolate with HWC
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 21:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

This might help!
Ingredients

2 T Almond Flour
2 T Whey Protein Isolate
2 T Cocoa Powder
1/2 t Baking Powder
5 packets of Splenda (or No-Carb stevia powder to cut carbs)

1/2 T Melted Butter
2 T Sour Cream
1 Egg

In a 2 cup Pyrex glass container, blend all dry ingredients. Add sour cream, melted butter and egg, then mix throughly. Cover with glass lid (vented) or plastic wrap with a slit cut in center for venting. Microwave on high for about 70 seconds. The cake should look a slightly wet when it comes from the microwave; it will dry as it cools. This makes 2 servings.

If you don't have whey protein isolate, it can be replaced with more almond flour or with soy flour, Atkins or Carbsense bake mix. If you like a richer cake, more butter can be used. The cake is also very good with coconut or nuts added to the batter or when iced with a sugarfree icing. This tastes and looks like a "real" devil's food cake!

Nutritional Info for the Entire Cake:

Calories - 343
Total Fat - 29.9 g
Saturated Fat - 9.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat - 2 g
Monounsaturated Fat - 8.1 g
Cholesterol - 243 mg
Sodium - 410 mg
Potassium - 828 mg
Carbohyrdate - 13.1 g (total)
Fiber 3.3 g
ECC 9.8 g
Protein - 26.6 g
Vitamin A - 28%
Vitamin C - 0%
Calcium - 37%
Iron - 6%
Vitamin D - 0%
Vitamin E - 5%
Riboflavin - 38%

ECC for one serving is 4.9 g
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 07:37

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynsnest
. This tastes and looks like a "real" devil's food cake!

This looks delicious. I may try it this weekend so I'm not tempted to bite into DD birthday treats.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, May-05-12, 19:26
Registered Member

Plan: General
Stats: 340/313/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

I also like to use unsweetened baking cacao. The brand I use is fair trade is just pure cacao beens with some alkali to make into fine powder. 1 tablespoon is 2carbs with 2 fiber (so 0 net) but of course, this is probably not truly the case, I would be more like 1 net carb or so per tablespoon.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, May-06-12, 02:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinguChick
I think in general thats true. I was just thinking that Dr. Atkins might have had a reason why cocoa powder or no sugar chocolate is not on the Atkins acceptable foods list for induction. Maybe its no big deal, it just seems like when I read the book it said don't eat anything not on the list, and its not on there.

Studies have shown that some foods cause insulin release in some people, and not in others. Apparently 25% of people have an insulin response to sugar alcohols. Some have insulin response to coffee. Or to a sweet taste. In another study one person had insulin response to bitter tastes. I guess it means everyone is different. I can't eat raw celery or I get bad cravings. Weird. Maybe you can eat a chocolate bar a day and be okay. If that's true, then that's cool. But it might be something to consider if you stop losing or get cravings.

I hope it goes well for you!

I agree with this post. Cocoa contains caffeine, which does trigger an insulin response in some people - I think that's why Dr Atkins stipulated decaffeinated drinks, and didn't include cocoa in his list. Personally, I cannot include coffee or chocolate in my diet. I tried unsweetened cocoa powder with cream and it made me ill with the insulin rush. My insulin response has improved thanks to the low-carbing, but personally, I still cannot touch coffee or chocolate because it sabotages the diet in various ways, such as being unable to moderate my intake immediately, or over time.

That said, for those who'd like to try chocolate, and find the 99% too bitter, you could try melting the bitter dark chocolate and adding unsalted butter or cream, a touch of stevia to offset the bitterness, then resetting it. You could add almonds (whole or ground), crushed nuts, dried raspberries or something else which has a natural sweetness. If you add a lot of cream, you'll change it into a chocolate cream/ganache dessert. I'd love to try this myself, but personally, I cannot even think of chocolate without going bonkers.

Another item which you might find interesting is Chocolate Extract, made from cocoa and alcohol, which I guess could be added to things you're cooking or baking in order to add in the chocolate flavour, rather than using cocoa powder, which can dry out baked goods out a bit. You can buy it on Amazon, etc.

The health benefits of chocolate and red wine are always advertised.. Those come from the phenols, which occur in fruits, vegetables and other foods.

I got some information about phenols online..

Fruit

"To pick fruits containing the highest level of phenols, aim for the berry family. Other fruits to reach for are citrus varieties.... and cherries. When selecting fruits based on phenol content, keep this tip in mind: The darker the fruit, the greater the phenol content. By eating the seeds and skins, one can achieve the highest amount of phenols plant foods provide."

Vegetables

"The vegetable food group also contains an array of foods high in phenol content, with the highest content found in the yellow onion. Additionally, artichokes, ...rhubarb, red cabbage, curly kale, leeks, cherry tomatoes, celery and broccoli all offer a good supply of phenols."

Legumes

"Fill grocery carts with a variety of peas and beans in the form of canned or dried beans or spreads, with soybeans having the greatest amount of phenols. Add beans and peas to soups, salads, dips and other dishes."

Spices

"Spice things up in the kitchen by using parsley and capsicum pepper, with parsley containing the largest amount of phenols. Using such spices is a sure way to increase the phenol content of any food."

Beverages

"You can sip on numerous beverages to boost phenol intake. Reach for coffee, soy milk, red wine, black and green teas. For the highest phenol content, fill your cup with coffee and green tea. Any beverage made from other sources of phenols mentioned will make for a good beverage choice."

Here's the full article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/1.../#ixzz1u4leZ1Z5

I normally eat lots of the veggies in that list, but I think I'll be heading for the berries next time I'm shopping.

Enjoy.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 14:28

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 240/197.1/160 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 54%

THERE IS A GOD!!! lol I must go get this to try, next time I have a bad craving!