Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 11:22

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 157/157/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile New on BFL

Hi Natrushka. I have been reading your post, and thanks for al the valuable info. i am new here and have a couple of questions. Well I got the BFL book yesterday and would love to start the program as soon as possible. The only problem is that I am a vegetarian and i really dont like dairy either, how can I get all the protein in? Do I have to get the supplements recommended or can I use something else? I have like 40 lbs to lose. Any commets/advice will appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 12:32

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

HI flwrlilly3 and welcome to the forum and BLF

Being a carnivore I do not know much about what you'd eat if you were to do the program vegetarian - HOWEVER, we do have a vegetarian forum and I am sure that there are some discussion in that forum dealing with protein. I would definitely check it out.

As for the supplements, you do not have to use the ones in the book by any means. I buy whatevers on sale usually. I would suggest you stick with a good multi vitamin, your basic antioxidants (Vit C and E), a calcium/magensium supplement, some potassium and the glutamine for sure.

If you have any other questions - feel free to ask. There's a wealth of BFL information floating around the board these days

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 13:10
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Veggie Help

My hubby is doing BFL with me an he is a veggie. He does eat dairy and eggs and occassionally fish and lots of tofu. He supplements his protein requirements with protein powder. He also supplements with Myoplex shakes and Myoplex low carb bars (beware of these if you are staying lc).

Hope that helps.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 17:41

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

flwrlilly3

You can always supplement your protein with protein shakes and fortunately there is whey (from dairy) and soy protein both available. Check out WheyGourmet.com....It's delicious!

Marlaine
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 10:29

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 157/157/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thank you all for your replies

Thanks for all the info, I just have a couple more question, any good, cheap, alternative to the myoplex shakes besides protein powder? Do I have to go to the gym? I noticed on the book that some of the exercises require gym equipment. I have been working out at home for the past 3 year with videos. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 11:06

BF:

flwrlilly3, I'm not sure I understand the distinction between myoplex and protein powders - myoplex is a protein shake (powder)

You most certainly can do BFL at home - I have been doing so since November. I actually prefer free weights to machines - I get a better workout with them. All the exercises in the book are shown with free weights and with machines so you can pick. You can also choose to do other exercises - a place like ExRx can give you a good database to draw from. Pick a muscle or exercise and then choose 'dumbbell' or 'barbell' to see how they are performed.

HTH
Nat
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 20:29
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Isn't Myoplex a brand name shake that's also got some supplements in it too? It's EAS brand, isn't it? I'm quite sure that getting some plain whey protein at GNC (or wherever) is much cheaper. I think I paid US$24 for 30 servings.

Last edited by TeriDoodle : Wed, Apr-17-02 at 12:32.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/256/205
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Just Switched!!!!

Hi All,

I've been on Atkins since Dec. 26th of 2001 and have decided to switch to BFL as of tomorrow morning. I've been 'stuck' at my present weight for 5 weeks now and I'm getting a little discouraged . Atkins has worked well for me to this point. I've followed the plan to the letter and I understand there are plateaus, but I think my metabolism needs a major jolt so I'm making the change.

I'm going to do freeweights at home and I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

Nat, you seem to really be up on BFL so I'm sure I'll be tapping your brain. Let's DO IT!!

Looking forward to being a part of this forum......

Peace,
Bob
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 15:46
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hey Bob!

Congrats on your decision to go with BFL!! Aren't you excited? You're gonna be sooooooooo buff!!

I took a peek at your profile and you're the same age as my husband! He's BFLing too....we're both in week 2 so not much ahead of you! You'll love it....you sound like you are READY TO ROCK!! That's fun to hear

Are you stocked up on glutamine??? It will DEFINITELY help with muscle soreness...I highly recommend it.

Let us know how you're doing!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 05:04

Plan: BFL with SP
Stats: 167/158.5/150 Female 63ins
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 50%
Default Glutamine & whey protein powders

Hi Nat & Teridoodle

I have bought a pack of 20 Myoplex protein powders which I thought I would use one a day while starting out (I will look for a cheaper alternative later). It says it has glutamine in it, so I didn't buy any as I thought I might get too much glutamine if I combined them. Do you think this might be the case? Also would you still take a multi-vitamin as there are vitamins in the powders?

I tried starting again this week at a new gym but they insist on going through induction into their own fitness programme, so I'm getting very frustrated - the little time I have before work is spent doing everything but BFL. I am going along with it but will try to do BFL in the evenings at home. I only have a few light weights.

I am so keen to start that nothing is going to stop me however slow the start. That was good advice given elsewhere to try out all the exercises before starting as I had a false start last week because of the gym. Thanks for the support.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 06:12
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Thanks for the Welcome!

Hi TeriDoodle

Yes, I'm ready to rock!!!!

I'm picking up some Glutamine at GNC this afternoon. Also hitting the grocery store with my shopping list.

I plan to be in contact on this link for support and to help encourage others.

I'm EXCITED about this program!!!!!!

Talk with you all later.

Peace......
Bob
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 06:17
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Forgot to Ask In My Last Post

Hi again,

Does anyone have any strong opinions either way about doing BFL with/without supplements? (not including vitamins/minerals etc.)

Thanks,
Bob
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 06:21

BF:
Default Re: Glutamine & whey protein powders

Quote:
Originally posted by judy130
I tried starting again this week at a new gym but they insist on going through induction into their own fitness programme, so I'm getting very frustrated - the little time I have before work is spent doing everything but BFL. I am going along with it but will try to do BFL in the evenings at home. I only have a few light weights.

Judy, have you tried talking to the manager/owner? While it's nice that they want to familiarize you with the equipment, you should be free to choose how you are going to spend your time there - this seems fishy to me. You're the paying customer here!

As for your shakes, how much glutamine do they contain? Getting "too much" would be somewhere in the neighbourhood of 60-70g a day. Most shakes contain 4-5g about 1/3 of what you should have every day.

HTH
Nat
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 06:23

BF:
Default Re: Forgot to Ask In My Last Post

Quote:
Originally posted by pastorbob
Does anyone have any strong opinions either way about doing BFL with/without supplements? (not including vitamins/minerals etc.)

Hi there Bob and welcome to the program You can do BFL w/o supplements (if you are referring to protein powders and the like) Check out Homegirl's journal - she's doing it that way, she's actually just about completed her first 12 week challenge.

I would suggest you stick with a good multi vitamin and your basic anti oxidants (Vit C & E) and perhaps some flaxoil (essential fatty acids). If you're going to do BFL with LC nutrition I strongly suggest having a look through the sticky at the top of this forum on that topic.

All the best
Nat
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 10:10
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Supplements

Thanks Nat......

I'm taking a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement along with additional chromium picolanate, potassium, fish oil and garlic. I'm also taking a few herbals.

Today is my first day on BFL and I've already had 2 of my six meals. My next one comes up in an hour. You're right....the planning (for both workouts and meals) is crucial!, but I'm really into this. Atkins worked well for me for the time I was on it, but I feel better about this WOE and the exercise program will make a world of difference.

I'm doing fairly moderate weights. At 53 years of age, my days of wanting to 'bulk up' are long past. I'm looking for strength, flexibility and definition now----as well as the aerobic benefits.

I appreciate the wealth of your experience (as well as the others) and look forward to sharing with you in the future. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Peace,
Bob