Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 11:37

Plan: Atkins to CAD
Stats: 130/116/108 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default So I switched from Atkins and I feel like I'm losing my progress

It's been about 4 days since I switched from Atkins and I feel like I am bloated or something. I haven't lost anything and I feel like anytime I step on the scale I will be a few pounds heavier. I have actually gained a pound. I know it isn't my average yet but still. I'm worried. I have been very careful about balancing my reward meal. Meaning I eat extra large portions of veggies and salad, just to be safe. ..but not always extra on the protein. Is that bad? I have read the lifespan book and am still not sure. I have not been eating anything else during the day besides my coffee with sweetener and cream in the am. And my reward meal at dinner with the family. I have not been hungry during the day and in the book it says not to force yourself to eat, if you are not hungry. I'm not having any cravings which is great. But on Atkins I found when I did not eat throughout the day, I did not lose. Should I try to eat lunch during the day? These are things I'm not too sure about. So anyone have any ideas. I have even been adding some exercise, which I didn't do before... Doing 8 minute abs and buns and legs. I am going on a cruise at the end of February and I have about 10 more pounds to lose. I am thinking about switching back to Atkins, but I'm not sure. I switched because I was not really losing anymore and I missed my carbs too much. I don't know what would be fastest and best? Long term I love this diet, but I just want to look great in my bikini in the so near future.

Last edited by aaaummbb : Thu, Jan-21-10 at 12:04.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 12:39

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

I read the book before deciding on which plan to follow.

However I was very sceptic with the fact that you could have a reward meal per day so didn't choose this plan. I thought that I would actually gain weight eating so much.

It does seem more of a phase 4/life long plan to me.

If you don't feel happy with it you could always switch back to Atkins.

Eating small meals throughout the day is prehaps more sensible than just one big meal in the evening.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 12:51

BF:

Yeah, that's what I mean, going from eating no sugar and barely any carbs, to be able to eat whatever you desire, ( at the reward meal ) with portion control mind you, but still, it feels so wrong after doing Atkins. I know people lose weight on this diet but I honestly cannot see how. That's my dilemma, I'll go back to Atkins if I have to. Thanks for your reply!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 13:38

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

I happen to think CALP is a wonderful plan. I have been following it for the last twenty two months and every inch and pound that I have lost is because of that program.

CALP is much slower than Atkins so if you want instant satisfaction I believe Atkins is the way to go. If you want to follow a program that fits easily into everyday life, CALP is a perfect fit.

Following CALP immediately after Atkins will require some time for your body to get used to eating carbs again. The program works as long as you follow the guidelines!

It is much slower than Atkins when it comes to weight loss, but it is a lifestyle change that can be permanent.

Good luck to you in whatever program you decide to do since it is your choice!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 14:06

BF:

Thanks for your reply. I know it's my choice, but it doesn't happen to be easy...lol. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking this program by any means... I definitely love this diet also and I have no doubt that it works for many people. My mom lost A LOT of weight on this program. I know it works. I just don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what it is. Like you said it may just be my body needs to adjust. I didn't realize that it is slower than Atkins though. Something to think about for my need right now. Because it's true what I am looking for right now, is instant satisfaction. I will definitely take this plan as lifelong maintenance, as I love being able to eat with my family and not cook 2 separate dinners, as I've been doing on Atkins. I can honestly not take much longer of Atkins. I am develping a great hate for eggs. lol. I know I am a carb addict though. Ahhh so confused....lol.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-10, 00:25

BF:

aaaummbb - it looks like you've answered your own question.
CAD is not a quick fix plan and you need to shed a few kilos within a few weeks.

I also got fed up of eating eggs for breakfast so decided to have a vegetarian LC alternative every other day which didn't stall my weight loss. It was either a peanut butter non dairy smoothie, greek or soya yogurt with almonds and flax/linseed or a flax/linseed muffin.*

Having read the book it is interesting to see that CAD does work for some people and they do really lose weight.

It really does seem like a healthy plan but not for people who like a quick fix, which is also my case.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-10, 10:01

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

aaaummbb--if CAD isn't working for you--there are so many other things you can eat for breakfast than eggs. For myself, I've made a LC hot cereal using flax seed and nuts as a base. I only need 1/3 cup and I'm usually good until late afternoon. Others eat left over dinners or quiches and such. Look into peeps journals for what they are eating and be creative.

Adjust Atkins to fit your lifestyle. It's not a sin to not follow the plan exactly. Do what works for you.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-10, 12:56

Plan: Low Carbish
Stats: 169/152/135 Female 5'2" Age:81
BF:
Progress: 50%

I only eat twice a day. When my DH is at home, which is only every couple of weeks, I eat the CAD way. When he is gone I keep it to two meals a day and don't go over 30-40 grams carbs a day. Eating whatever I want for a RM is good for my cheat days but I want to lose faster and am trying it this way.
As always YMMV.

Cheers,
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-10, 08:16

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

I have the book. I follow atkins. I tried CA but it does not work or make sense for me. It is kind of like telling an alcoholic or crack addict that they can have all the booze and crack they want, as long as it is just for one hour a day. I quickly ballooned on it and I did not even eat sugar as part of the reward meal.

I do think it could work for people that gorged on carbs all day long and any reduction would be a big improvement. I am sure it works for some people, but it is not shocking to me that it does not work for many people.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 11:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland
It is kind of like telling an alcoholic or crack addict that they can have all the booze and crack they want, as long as it is just for one hour a day. .

Very nicely put into a nutshell.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 13:39

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default CAD/CALP misunderstood?

I know of nothing in either CAD or CALP that allows you to eat anything you want for an hour a day. Suggesting that this is an acceptable WOE on those plans is a gross mis-characterization. My husband points out that anyone who eats as much fruit (for example) as they want and little else during the RM is definitely not following CAD or CALP.

There are many important benefits to limiting the balanced Reward Meal to a one hour period including controlled insulin release and training yourself not to snack outside of meal times.

Another important benefit, one that many seem to have missed, is that you can automatically limit total food intake during the meal, since if you want more potatoes, you have to have more meat and veggies (for example)--this makes it tougher to pig out on the potatoes.

From what I've seen over the last few years, some dieters misunderstand or misinterpret the one hour Reward Meal to include eating as much as they want of just about anything in a one hour period.

People who eat that way are unlikely to find success on CAD/CALP in the long run. For most people, the key to weight loss is consuming fewer calories than they can burn.

There is no 'magic' to lasting weight loss, but finding a way of eating that keeps you satisfied for longer periods is definitely beneficial because you are not looking for snacks during the day or otherwise feeling deprived.

Yes, some extreme carbohydrate-restricted diets (Atkins, for example) are supposed to trigger Ketosis, which causes the body to burn fat more quickly than other restricted diet plans. While this may be true, the downside to such restrictive diets (as some have stated above) is that it can become much harder to stay 'on plan' on a diet that requires severe limits on what (but not how much) you can eat. Many folks do start to hate the sight of eggs!

My understanding of CAD/CALP is that they are not extreme carb-restricted diets. They are balanced diets that also reduce carbohydrate intake (therefore regulating insulin release), and help you learn to limit your overall food (caloric) intake during the day--thus leading to control over carbohydrate addiction and delivering long-term, steady weight loss results--what I like to call 'lasting lifestyle change'. Works for me!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 20:06

Plan: CAD/Calp
Stats: 156/150/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppinn
I happen to think CALP is a wonderful plan. I have been following it for the last twenty two months and every inch and pound that I have lost is because of that program.!

I just found this forum. I read the CAD book years ago and am renewing interest in it, since I have diabetes. Have you found interest in this diet has waned? I thought it used to be more popular.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 03:10
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
great reply, Teri.

Okay- my turn.
If you want to lose weight fast, do Atkins. If you want to lose weight fast and keep it off, you have to STAY on Atkins and go up the carb ladder on OWL slowly. If you are doing Atkins and then go off- you will gain weight very quickly. Look at the forum posts in the Atkins area. I have been on CALP for almost 7 years and have been on this Board most of that time- as Dr. Phil says this ain't my first rodeo. And I have MAINTAINED my weight loss. Like Teri, this is it for me.

If you want to go on that cruise at a different weight - that is your choice. If you go on that cruise and eat carbs and drink alcohol you may find you gain on the cruise- this is what happens when you are very carb restricted and add on lots of carbs. Again, if you read Dr. Atkins books (I have read all of them) he is adamant that you MUSt reintroduce carbs in a controlled fashion. However he also expects that certain things will never be on your menu- especially sugar and bread.Over and over on this site I read how people are scared to reintroduce carbs, or stay on induction. There are people who like being carb free, or very low carb. There are people who eat M&E. There are vegetarian LCers. There are lots and lots of plans and ways to do this-
PLEASE don't knock what is working for me. I am not telling you that what you are doing is not going to work- or why- so have respect for me and my choices too. If you are interested in the plan, and trying to make it work for you, let us help. I am really not interested in why you think this is not a good plan- when you have not read the books or done it or are on a different plan. Go and look at my posts- I NEVER tell another person here why their plan is wrong and mine is bettr. I think this is basic respect- this is the CAD/CALP area, not the general or atkins area. I LOVE this WOL- it has saved my life.

This plan was developed by the Hellers, and they have basically retired. There is no publicity, no buzz, no push for it. I get support on this forum- and there are others too. I found it by reading lots and lots of books on LC- on many plans. I picked this as it made sense to me and allowed me to limit carbs by having only protein and veggies 2xday, and having a more 'normal' dinner. There is a Swedish plan called the 'swedish plate'- divide the plate into 4th and 1/4meat,1/4 carb,1/2 veggie. This is pretty much how I eat my RM. For me it is all about the insulin- limiting the release and increasing my body's insulin sensitivity- and this works for me.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask questions. I've been on 3 cruises since CALP and had a blast on all of them. I'd be happy to share how I ate with you, aaaummbb.
Theresa- how can we help?

Last edited by Enomarb : Tue, Jan-26-10 at 03:16.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 11:25

Plan: CAD/Calp
Stats: 156/150/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi-
great reply, Teri.This plan was developed by the Hellers, and they have basically retired. There is no publicity, no buzz, no push for it. I get support on this forum- and there are others too. Theresa- how can we help?

I just found this forum. Can you give me a link to others? I'm anxious to learn all I can. I need online support whenever I diet. I'm diabetic and noticed that my blood sugar readings have been very good.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-10, 18:22

BF:

Thanks everyone. I have stayed on the CALP since my first post in this thread and I am happy to say I have went down in weight by about 2lbs and my middle is looking smaller, no measurements yet though. Tonight. But I feel good. I still very guilty after my RM but I have been balancing. I WAS thinking of going back to Atkins but if this is working, I'd like to stay on the CALP. It's true I will NEVER make it as a lifer on Atkins, and I was also one of the people who was too worried to add carbs in gradually, OWL ladder, though I read the books I still had a hard time accepting that part, or maybe understanding it. I stayed on induction. Broke the diet 2 days at Christmas and had a hard time getting back on track....And then stopped losing once I did get back on it. Frustrating! I know the last ten pounds are usually hard but still. I was confused at why I wasn't losing, if it was because I didn't add carbs in? I don't know. I have read most of Dr. Atkin's books, not all of the New Diet Revolution but I have skimmed it also. I have read the CAD and CALP. I am for sure a little scared of the comment about going off Atkins and gaining quickly...AHHHH...luckily that hasn't happened yet. My cruise is booked and it's alittle later than we thought but I figure it's a bonus! March 20, we leave, the day before my b-day. More time to lose, I say. I've been doing good on the CALP and I think I am going to stay, I have been trying to eat my 2 CMs but can only manage to get in one CM of a salad with some sugar free bacon at lunch or an omelet and then of course my coffee in the morning, no breakfast. But maybe the coffee counts as one? Then my reward meal. Do you think that is right?? Do I have to eat protein AND a vegetable at my CMs? or can I just have protein?
And Eno, I would love to know how you made it through the cruises! I keep reading about how great the food is, and all this room service you get....I read somewhere that you can expect to gain 8pounds!?? That is not what I want.
Once again thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate everyone's help. This site is great.

Last edited by aaaummbb : Wed, Jan-27-10 at 19:16.