Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 03:12

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Fish oil may really be an 'elixir of youth'

Quote:
From The Telegraph
London, UK
20 January, 2010

Fish oil may really be an 'elixir of youth'

Fish oil may really be an “elixir of youth" because of its effects on our biological ageing, according to a new study.

Fatty acids found in fish such as salmon, mackerel or sardines have long been known to protect against conditions like heart disease.

Because of the health benefits official guidelines recommend eating at least two portions of oily fish a week, but many people eat far less.

Now scientists believe that they have uncovered the reason why fish oil is so good for us.

The discovery, made in a group of heart patients, could help confirm many of the claims made about the benefits of the fatty acids, called omega-3 fatty acids.

Researchers found that they help guard a protective ‘cap’ within cells, which helps to determine how long they will live.

Studies have also suggested that fatty acids can increase the chances of survival after suffering a heart attack, reduce the mental decline associated with old age and help prevent changes in the eye that can lead to blindness.

Tests on rats have shown that they live around a third longer if they are given a diet high in omega-3 fatty acids.

"These findings raise the possibility that omega-3 fatty acids may protect against cellular ageing in patients with coronary heart disease," said Dr Ramin Farzaneh-Far from the University of California at San Francisco, writing in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).

Cellular ageing is thought to be linked an increased risk of developing conditions like heart disease and cancer.

Scientists are still unsure, however, whether it has any relation to other symptoms of physical ageing, such as wrinkles.

Researchers have found that the acids slow down the rate at which these caps, which protect DNA and keep it organised within a part of the cell, shorten.

Called telomeres, these ‘caps’ become shorter each time cell divides.

Too short and they can leave DNA open to damage, and even eventually cause the cell to die. This rate of shortening varies but the new research has found that it is affected by fish oil.

A study on 608 patients with heart disease shows that those with high levels of omega-3 fatty acids in their diet over five years had longer ‘caps’ than those with low levels.

A higher than average intake of fish oil cut the rate of shortening by 32 per cent, the study found.

June Davison, from the British Heart Foundation, said: "This is an interesting study which may offer a further explanation as to why a dietary intake of omega-3 fats from fish can help to protect your heart.

"It is well established that a dietary intake of omega-3 is good for heart health. Oily fish, such as salmon, mackerel or sardines, is a nutritious source of omega-3."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...r-of-youth.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 05:08
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

i've been saying something similar for months..
saturated fat is definitely the elixir for the body..
it has slowed the aging process down....
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 06:57
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Telomere Length Trajectory and Its Determinants in Persons with Coronary Artery Disease: Free full text online here.

Don't forget it isn't JUST omega 3 that is associated with longer telomere length.
Higher serum vitamin D concentrations are associated with longer leukocyte telomere length in women.

and omega 3's work in conjunction with the fat soluble vitamin D3 so use both and you get the best of both. Well that's if you use it in the amounts the body naturally requires.

Iceland life expectancy 79.4 compares well with Japan 80.7
In Iceland annual fish consumption is one of the highest in the world, they eat 46.5 kilograms per capita. Using 231g as a serving size that represents 201 servings a year.

UK average consumption is 217g a week less than one portion of fish per person per week.
USA fish consumption = 15.27g/d or one 231g portion every 15 days.
United Kingdom 77.7 life expectancy
United States 77.1 life expectancy

Last edited by Hutchinson : Wed, Jan-20-10 at 07:07.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 20:12
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Maybe, but only on a high-fat diet
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 03:46

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

I am so glad I started taking my Jarrow Formulas Omega 3s from iherb.com the other day!!!

amanda
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 07:03

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Mmm, yes but how much omega 3 is necessary to get this effect I wonder.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 08:03
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher

Sorry I picked up the wrong link earlier
Association of marine omega-3 fatty acid levels with telomeric aging in patients with coronary heart disease. this is the right one
We measured leukocyte telomere length at baseline and again after 5 years of follow-up.
Multivariable linear and logistic regression models were used to investigate the association of baseline levels of omega-3 fatty acids (docosahexaenoic acid [DHA] and eicosapentaenoic acid [EPA]) with subsequent change in telomere length.

RESULTS:
Individuals in the lowest quartile of DHA+EPA experienced the fastest rate of telomere shortening, whereas those in the highest quartile experienced the slowest rate of telomere shortening.

Levels of DHA+EPA were associated with less telomere shortening before and after sequential adjustment for established risk factors and potential confounders.

Each 1-SD increase in DHA+EPA levels was associated with a 32% reduction in the odds of telomere shortening

As we know that omega 6 industrial vegetable and seed oils displace omega 3. High Omega-6 Diet Lowers Omega-3 Status, but Low Omega-6 Diet Preserves

There are two ways to stay in balance: reduce omega-6, and increase omega-3. In my opinion, the former is more important than the latter, but only if you can reduce omega-6 to below 4% of calories. If you're above 4%, the only way to reduce your risk is to outcompete the omega-6 with additional omega-3.

Bottom line: ditch industrial vegetable oils such as corn, soybean, safflower and sunflower oil, and everything that contains them. This includes most processed foods, especially mayonnaise, grocery store salad dressings, and fried foods. We aren't meant to eat those foods and they derail our metabolism on a fundamental level.

It takes about 2yrs to significantly change the omega 3<> omega 6 ratio in cells. Circulating omega 3 plasma levels will change much faster so the sooner you start taking 2g of omega 3 daily (sum of the EPA+DHA numbers) the sooner you will benefit but it's 2 yrs before 50% of your cells will be back in balance and it could be 5 yrs before all the cells are rebuilt to the specifications our DNA evolved to work best with.

Icelanders have a life expectancy nearly matching the Japanese and both these peoples eat a lot of fish. Iceland averages more than 4 portions of fish per person per week.
In the UK it's less than one portion per week and the US averages one a fortnight.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Thu, Jan-21-10 at 08:11.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 12:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher

I do believe this is the omega 3 liquid that Hutchinson recommended recently. It only costs $8.95 (plus P&P of course). It has the faintest whiff of a fishy taste, but it doesn't make me burp.

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formula...76-oz/4255?at=0

After three teaspoons in the last three days, I can't say I've noticed any difference yet Still the same clapped-out old hag I was three days ago...

Anyway, I had it shipped to me here in Germany and the delivery was surprisingly fast. All the other offers for this stuff I could find in Europe were loads more expensive.

amanda
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 14:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh nice, that's a lot cheaper than the CArlson's "Very finest fish oil" I bought last time... I gotta change my order.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 02:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Oh nice, that's a lot cheaper than the CArlson's "Very finest fish oil" I bought last time... I gotta change my order.

It's on extra special offer right now so order fast before they put the price back up to $13.62!!! Get a whole case in!!!

amanda
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 05:30
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
After three teaspoons in the last three days, I can't say I've noticed any difference yet
But listen to the evidence from the Military Conference on the use of Omega 3 (Allow all day or find a way of downloading it so you can fast forward to the sections that interest you. )

The evidence is that where hospitals ensure the omega 3 plasma levels are improved the week BEFORE surgery those patients get out of hospital sooner.

It's fine when you have an operation scheduled in the future to get your omega 3 omega 6 ratio improved beforehand by upping your omega intake for a week or more HOWEVER you don't know for certain if you are going to have an accident today or any day this week or next.
Most hospital admissions are unplanned.
The way therefore to ensure your next stay in hospital is as short as possible is to improve BOTH your vitamin D and omega 3 intakes to sensible levels and keep that safer level maintain ad infinitum.
Somewhere in that conference someone says in a comment in reply to a question from the floor, that it takes about 2yrs for the brain to benefit fully from a lower omega 6 higher omega 3 ratio. So although I am confident in saying higher omega 3 will make things work better in the short term we have to realize the rate of cell turnover in the body is fairly slow and to rebuild a new Amanda with each cell containing it's evolutionary omega 3 omega 6 ratio of 1<>1 or at worst 1<>4.5omega6 will take time 2yrs for a 50% rebuild and probably 5 yrs to see a complete transformation.
But as omega 6 displaces omega 3 from cells the reduction on omega 6 sources IS MORE IMPORTANT than the improvement in omega 3 in the long run.

If you listen to the sessions on suicide you'll know why we have to impress on people (particularly those who are depressed) the importance of taking immediate action on the upping of omega 3 intakes but reducing the omega 6 mustn't be forgotten as a long term goal.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 05:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166.5/158.5/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Do you think Chia seeds are adequate for Omega 3's? I started them when I read they were 3 times higher than flaxseed and I love them. Carry them with me and sprinkle them on everything. I do hate drinking oils.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 11:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Plant sources of omega-3's don't convert well into the type we really need, which is already present in fish oil.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 20:06

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

okay, i have a question.
what is the purpose of taking cod liver oil?

i take fish oil in the morning and have started using CLO in the evening. i only started fish oil when i could no longer afford grass fed beef then recently added CLO, (i grew up taking it).

both are Natures Answer, which i thought Ted recommended. the price is better than Carlsons and it's the 16 oz bottle.

oh, so back to the question; i do not remember why i thought CLO was a good addition so obviously it's not improving my memory!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 02:58

BF:
Default Thanks for the info, Ted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson

Somewhere in that conference someone says in a comment in reply to a question from the floor, that it takes about 2yrs for the brain to benefit fully from a lower omega 6 higher omega 3 ratio. So although I am confident in saying higher omega 3 will make things work better in the short term we have to realize the rate of cell turnover in the body is fairly slow and to rebuild a new Amanda with each cell containing it's evolutionary omega 3 omega 6 ratio of 1<>1 or at worst 1<>4.5omega6 will take time 2yrs for a 50% rebuild and probably 5 yrs to see a complete transformation.

But as omega 6 displaces omega 3 from cells the reduction on omega 6 sources IS MORE IMPORTANT than the improvement in omega 3 in the long run.

If you listen to the sessions on suicide you'll know why we have to impress on people (particularly those who are depressed) the importance of taking immediate action on the upping of omega 3 intakes but reducing the omega 6 mustn't be forgotten as a long term goal.

I really must learn how to make mayonnaise with olive oil as I must confess that I have a weakness for tuna mayo every now and then and my store-bought mayo is with sunflower oil, which I believe is loaded with omega 6s.

Olive oil has fewer omega 6s than, say, sunflower oil, am I right???

I have stopped using sunflower oil for cooking purposes pretty much full-stop and generally use 100% butter fat, or beef fat, or olive oil.

I do eat quite a bit of oily fish (mackerel, sardines, salmon and tuna), probably about two to three times a week, so that can't be doing any harm to my omega ratios, I imagine.

I wish I could get my sis, who has been taking anti-depressants for donkeys' years, to change her diet. But she is pretty damn stubborn when her big sis gives her advice. She still uses Flora and other poisonous low-fat products. Which is ridiculous because she is underweight, too. I mentioned magnesium to her at Christmas for depression and anxiety (she nearly had a panic attack on the plane when she flew out to visit us because she was stuck in the plane for about an hour before it actually took off) and she said she would do her own internet research but I bet she hasn't. I think she just thinks I'm loony with all my supplements and vitamin tips.

Oh well, she's a grown-up lady, what can I do?

amanda