Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 14:38

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
It would be of great benefit to discover the exact reasons for the surge.

If we can blame a name brand that is probably most responsible for the upsurge in diabetes, my bet would be on Coca-Cola....

Anyone else care to place a wager?.....
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 15:18

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Just last week they had a doctor on PBS who said that eliminating all animal products and oils from your diet will cure diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholestoral, provided you eat low on the glycemic index. I turned it off about half way through. His vegan diet may work for his patients, but it sure doesn't work for me.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 20:25

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniMin
Just last week they had a doctor on PBS who said that eliminating all animal products and oils from your diet will cure diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholestoral, provided you eat low on the glycemic index. I turned it off about half way through. His vegan diet may work for his patients, but it sure doesn't work for me.
I cought a little bit of the guy droing on about how great eating no animal products was. His beliefs did not require any science.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-10, 07:00

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwags
I know as a diabetic I cannot tolerate carbs. Going on a Bersnstein type diet has allowed me to get near normal numbers most of the day. I have an HbA1c in the very low 5's, better than some non diabetics. I'm hoping to push my triglycerides even lower (75 right now) and HDL higher (85 right now) I do think low carb has changed my life. But I will still be diabetic.

According to the original piece, this is like saying you are still susceptible to arsenic poisoning. Well, everybody is susceptible to arsenic poisoning to some degree, but not everybody eats enough arsenic to show signs of arsenic poisoning. Only those who ate enough arsenic to show signs of arsenic poisoning are told to cut down on the amount of arsenic they eat, or are prescribed drugs to treat the symptoms of arsenic poisoning, even then they must be diagnosed first.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-10, 09:33

Plan: lacto-ovo moderate carb
Stats: 163/147/141 Female 5 ft 5 "
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerina
No, she definitely is not vegetarian. I know it would be much more difficult for a vegetarian, but my point was that if you eat "the right stuff" (not taking into consideration personal issues ), you can control it quite well, no matter how old you are, no matter if you have had it for years.

I would not know if that is possible if you are a vegan, vegetarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian. I only know if you are willing to eat as Bernstein says to do, you can control it. Otherwise, you do the best you can. It's certainly not a perfect world, and as I have found at my ripe old age, it almost always comes down to choices. Good luck!
Thanks.

Guess what ? Turned out my mom had a huge stone in her sub-mandibular gland. 2 cm by 1 cm (which by the way is supposed to be really large). We got it removed surgically day before yesterday. Her sugar is down to 80-90 now. She had a post prandial level of 99 after lunch today !!
Of course she is till not 100% back to normal diet but pretty much ok.
Her fasting levels were up to 160+ earlier.

Such things can have a huge effect on blood sugar levels. We all know it at one level, but you realize it fully only when you really see it.
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-10, 10:06

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I want to share this bit of info that came in my Daily Dose newsletter. I think this would be the best lace to share it,

http://douglassreport.com/2010/03/28/ineffective-drugs/
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-10, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I want to share this bit of info that came in my Daily Dose newsletter. I think this would be the best lace to share it,

http://douglassreport.com/2010/03/28/ineffective-drugs/

Yep, but exercise is important too... Exercise does help our body absorb nutrition more efficiently if done right.... But I agree with him and will state it this way;

We are what we eat.....
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-10, 03:42
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Yep, but exercise is important too... Exercise does help our body absorb nutrition more efficiently if done right.... But I agree with him and will state it this way;

We are what we eat.....
While I agree with the above I think we have to concentrate on what are the MOST likely factors that underlie the shocking increase in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes incidence.

Immunological detection of fructose-derived advanced glycation end-products

Quote:
We suggest that fructose contributes importantly to AGEs formation because of its approximately eightfold higher reactivity.........the high reactivity of fructose may contribute substantially to the formation of intracellular Fru-AGE and may lead to alteration in the function of cellular proteins, the dysfunction of cells and, subsequently, to vascular complications........Our study suggests that Fru-AGE is present in appreciable levels in common beverages and condiments and exogenous, dietary Fru-AGE may contribute to the accumulation of Fru-AGE in the body. The increased usage of fructose in cooking may cause adverse health effects. AGEs form during the heating of common foods and, in contrast to in vivo AGEs formation, they can develop during cooking much more rapidly and in far greater concentrations.... Dietary AGEs have been shown to accelerate the progression of nephropathy and to shorten survival times in an animal model of diabetes.
In human diabetes, the mean concentration of C-reactive protein was 135% higher when the diet was high in AGEs than when cooking methods were altered to reduce the dietary AGEs content.
..............an individual drinking Fru-AGE-rich beverages and foods every day may wish to restrict their intake......Fructose promotes the formation of Fru-AGE both intracellularly and extracellularly.
It is possible that Fru-AGE formation by these endogenous and exogenous routes contributes importantly to the tissue pathology of diabetes and aging

The paper is mainly about how to measure the production of AGE's that result from fructose. The above is some quotes from the discussion section. I hadn't realised those probiotic little yoghurty milk drinks that are supposed to be so good for you are probably the highest dietary source of AGE's if they are sweetened with HFCS or it's various guises. Carbonated beverages and fruit juice are the next worse sources but that's partly because kids can consume so much so quickly and so easily. The amounts in condiments aren't so worrisome because most of us aren't going to consume many teaspoons of soya sauce each day.
However it's worrying that baking with HFCS can create so many of these fructose-derived advanced glycation end-products.
We really should be taking action to make HFCS more expensive rather than subsidizing the production of it's raw material.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-10, 06:43

Quote:
While I agree with the above I think we have to concentrate on what are the MOST likely factors that underlie the shocking increase in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes incidence.

I agree with you too.... The MOST likely greatest factor as I see it from my personal experience is overcoming an improper mindset. The way I think about food, about health determines what I concentrate on and for me, I had diabetic problems because of the choices I had made and changing my mindset so I could continually make better choices is the first thing I did to overcome my battle with my disease.

All the knowledge in the world I can acquire about what is right and what is wrong in regards to my health will not change a thing if I don't develop a proper mindset toward food and health.

My wife's a Chinese TCM Doctor and when I started eating her way over 2 years ago, I did not have a proper mindset, but I decided to put my own thinking aside and follow her methods a while and I just observed... In a very short time I noticed improvements in my health that came very naturally, just like the natural diet I was following. My health improved in a simple and natural way, without all the stress. I eventually started achieving Yin-Yang (balance) and I'm still gaining on it to this day... It takes time to go from bad health to good health, it takes a continual every day effort.

I eliminated fast-foods, junk-foods, carbonated soft-drinks, artificial sweeteners, processed foods, refined sugars, foods with preservatives and additives. I learned to avoid anything that comes in a can or a box. I even stopped buying frozen foods. I learned to avoid overeating, learned to not consume meat as the main part of a meal. I started eating more variety and smaller portions of each food. I learned to eat less fried foods, more raw foods, more foods lightly cooked.

The result is controlled diabetes, improved overall health, and a strong mind and a healthy habit that has become as natural as the foods that I eat.

Do I slip up and eat the wrong things? Yes, on outings with friends, but very seldom and never without an immediate awareness of how it really disturbs the healthy feeling that I have.

I no longer require any supplements to directly control diabetes, although I intermittently do take some herbal supplements to keep myself "tuned up", so to speak. I do use supplements, which I think is important, because of two reasons. In our day and age, foods probably don't have as much nutrition as it once did and unless someone has achieved perfect health, our bodies won't get enough nutrition from diet alone. I think very few people in our modern day world can achieve such a level of fitness. I wish to get there, but I have my doubts.

So, whether I achieve a cure is of no consequence. I've found a way of eating that improves my health and has controlled diabetes type 2 and hopefully for as long as I continue eating this way, my health will continue to improve.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-10, 09:49

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 200/122/117 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I do think as diabetics we have a diminished output of insulin and our beta cells are either damaged or do not function properly. I think the debate is still out there whether beta cells can regenerate. I hope so. Even though I eat very few carbs-30/day, the minute I eat brown rice, oats any grain, I will go much higher. I guess what I'm saying is I know I have an adverse reaction to any kind of carbs. But it is not just food that spikes diabetics. Many natural functions of hormones also spikes me. If I am sick, exercise, under stress or just plain don't eat for 6 or 7 hours my numbers go up. I know in my case I will always be diabetic.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-10, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwags
I do think as diabetics we have a diminished output of insulin and our beta cells are either damaged or do not function properly. I think the debate is still out there whether beta cells can regenerate. I hope so. Even though I eat very few carbs-30/day, the minute I eat brown rice, oats any grain, I will go much higher. I guess what I'm saying is I know I have an adverse reaction to any kind of carbs. But it is not just food that spikes diabetics. Many natural functions of hormones also spikes me. If I am sick, exercise, under stress or just plain don't eat for 6 or 7 hours my numbers go up. I know in my case I will always be diabetic.

You're not alone with feeling the way you do. I could and probably did say the same things a few years ago, especially the last 3 sentences you wrote...

Let me say this about beta cells: Nobody knows what those little suckers are doing, not while we're alive anyway, so we shouldn't even think about this...

The following is a fact, based on my experience. I offer this to you as hope and living proof that your condition does not have to remain the way it is and/or keep getting worse....

About four years ago, I was told by Doctors that my pancreas was quitting on me and that I was going to be put on insulin. Maybe insulin isn't all so scary as I thought it was, but thank God I was scared enough to get my wake up call and start taking control of my own health by whatever alternative means that I could, because Doctors and medicine certainly weren't saving me. A 10% or less carb diet, maximum dosage of oral medication, poor health and try as I may, I could not get my blood sugar below 200... That was about 4 years ago. It has been a long journey, one of many failures and a few successes, but one of determination to continually try to improve my health. I eat about 25% to 35% carbs regularly now and occasionally up to 60%. Above 35%, I'll go over the 140 threshold, but at 60% carbs, I still don't go over 170 and after 3 hours, I'm down to normal (90s' range) and I'm accomplishing this without any medication or supplements that are used to control BG.... With herbs I can get my BG into the 80s' but don't feel it is necessary to stay on herbs and accomplish that.

One thing when you feel trapped by diabetes, like I was once was, you get mentally weak from fighting it. The fight is as much in our minds as it is with diet, exercise, etc.... We gotta get the mindset the right way. It is a long battle to turn it around, we can't see a reaction for every action we take. It takes perserverance, determination, and a resolve from within to conquer this damn thing before it conquers you.... I did it and although I can't prove anyone else can, I suspect a lot more can if they do all that I did and all that I'm doing... There are many people with success stories and their methods don't even match mine, so there is more than one way to beat it. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm 62 and I can do more in a day than when I was 30 years old. For me, diabetes is reduced to a mild inconvenience.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-10, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Pancreas cells can regenerate
Quote:
Pancreas cells destroyed by diabetic processes can regenerate themselves, according to recent Swiss research.

Lead author Pedro Herrera, a cell physiology and metabolism professor at the University of Geneva Medical School, said that, using alpha cells, the adult pancreas could regenerate new beta cells even if they were totally absent.

Insulin is an important hormone in the metabolism of food, because it turns ingested food into energy that cells can use.

In people with type 1 diabetes, lacking beta cells means that the capacity to produce insulin is completely gone, and such sufferers would not be able to live without insulin therapy.

Alpha cells normally secrete a hormone called glucagon, which works against insulin to create a subtle hormonal balance in the pancreas.

However, the finding gives researchers hope that there may soon be a way to cure diabetes.

The researchers arrived at their finding by destroying the insulin-producing cells in mice, thereby causing them to have a condition that mimicked type 1 diabetes.

But experts in the field of diabetes research said that research done on mice was not enough to guarantee that a therapy based on the process could treat humans.

And even if the process did manage to regenerate insulin-producing activity in human bodies, the body's immune defences could end up working against the process.

Andrew Rakeman, a scientific program manager at the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF), which helped fund the new study, said that researchers trying to cure diabetes had to consider possible autoimmune responses as much as they had to consider the actual treatment method.

He said that using alpha cells, which were normally not destroyed by the immune system, might be a way to apply the new procedure for treating the disease, since the immune system did not usually react against them.

For the study, the researchers used a toxic process to completely wipe out beta cells in the test mice, then watched as the alpha cells in the mice turned themselves into beta cells.

When the alpha cells finished the beta cell conversion process, the mice no longer needed insulin therapy, because the pancreas was restored to normal functioning.

Rakeman said that the body could naturally reprogramme itself, and that this made the new study exciting.

Herrera said that his research team is currently investigating other types of transformations between different types of cells.

David Kendall, chief scientific officer at the American Diabetes Association, said anything that spoke of a potential source of new insulin producing cells was quite exciting, although early promise in mice was not always a guarantee that a technique would work for humans.

#73   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 07:36

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I'm sure this news is very exciting to diabetic mice.
Seriously, this sounds promising.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.
A cure for diabetes would be great!
Cheers
Eddie
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
Rakeman said that the body could naturally reprogramme itself, and that this made the new study exciting.

Even in this study, they are admitting that our body can heal itself, but they want to take the credit for manipulating that into happening....

I firmly believed that when we nourish our body with proper nutrition, exercise, rest and sleep, our body will begin to heal itself. This is what I have come to believe from my own personal experiences.

I think it's great, if, in the future, some type of cure is developed that doesn't cause side effects that are harmful, but I question why we should wait, when there is so much we can do for ourselves now.

I believe there is not one natural thing that will help us heal, but I now believe we can help our bodies to heal through all the little things we can do, such as; adjusting our diet, finding the right supplements and in the right dosages, increasing exercises to achieve some beneficial results, getting sufficient rest and sleep, putting ourselves on a regular daily routine, eliminating stress from our lives, keeping a good mood at all times, and living an active lifestyle.... It takes time and effort and a lot of monitoring and experimenting and continual fine tuning, but I think for many of us, it can be done......
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 08:49

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
It has been a long journey, one of many failures and a few successes, but one of determination to continually try to improve my health. I eat about 25% to 35% carbs regularly now and occasionally up to 60%. Above 35%, I'll go over the 140 threshold, but at 60% carbs, I still don't go over 170 and after 3 hours, I'm down to normal (90s' range) and I'm accomplishing this without any medication or supplements that are used to control BG.... With herbs I can get my BG into the 80s' but don't feel it is necessary to stay on herbs and accomplish that.
I think your story is a fascinating one, and I would love to know more about it. Have you written up anywhere just what sorts of things have helped you on your journey? What sort of carbs do you eat? What sort of herbs do you find helpful?