Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 15:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 131/115/100 Female 5 '4
BF:
Progress:
Default whats the damage...

ok so ive ended up having a 40g bowl of natural oatmeal porridge.. i know i could have chosen alot worse but have been left feeling awful!!

it had about 28grams of carb in... i havent ate many more carbs today maybe in total 40?

do you think i will notice a gain in weight? will this only be water or fat??? or will it have just slowed my weight loss down a bit? help!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Ouch, grains! Sorry LittlemeLC. There are a lot of great breakfast choices like eggs and bacon. Make sure there is no oats or grains in your house if you can help it.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 16:22

BF:
Progress:

i knooo do you think i will have put on weight? or mebs just in water? hmmm
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 16:24
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Well, to put on one pound of fat, you'd have to eat a lot. You will hold water and have increased insulin and cravings. But stop the damage NOW by being prepared. Why don't you list what you are eating for your meals. Make sure you are prepared at all times during the day with acceptable food. Grains are not food for humans--remind yourself of that!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 18:27

BF:
Progress:

how many carbohydrates would you say was "alot" (to gain a pound of fat) im so lost with this whole thing.. i dont usually go over 10grms but tbh im more interested in maintaining so i break into the odd small treat now and then.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 21:11
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

To me at lot is more than 10gm. a day.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 22:12
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I think grains are just about the worst thing you could eat (don't worry - I just have this thing against grains), but that said - in terms of 'damage', eating something sweet might actually be worse, in terms of triggering cravings.

Granted, some oatmeal might result in some water weight gain, which is temporary, but - you may have avoided the really bad cravings that usually happen when you veer off plan with something overly sweet - this is the silver lining in this whole deal.

If you see a blip up on the scale, don't freak out - it's temporary water-weight, and just resolve to get right back on track. I'm unclear as to whether or not some oatmeal might re-introduce the dreaded carb-cravings we all battled before going low-carb, but usually, any kind of 'carb up' in terms of off plan foods will likely result in a minor water weight gain, cravings aside.

Keep in mind though, this is totally temporary. You can minimize any 'damage' by getting right back on plan. Don't let this little minor slip-up de-rail you.

It will be ok - just get back on track and put this behind you. Nothing horrible is going to happen from this slight deviation from plan - promise! There could be a very small water weight gain, but that's all it is - water weight. Just keep on keeping on, it'll all work out.

Last edited by Citruskiss : Fri, Jan-15-10 at 22:27.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 23:25

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlemeLC
how many carbohydrates would you say was "alot" (to gain a pound of fat) im so lost with this whole thing.. i dont usually go over 10grms but tbh im more interested in maintaining so i break into the odd small treat now and then.

Looking at your stats - you don't have much weight to lose. Prehaps you should consider changing your plan to suit your needs and become more relaxed concering the carb count.

Did you ask your-self why you wanted porridge so much ?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 09:30

BF:
Progress:

hey, straight back onto plan today.. i dont really go crazy with cravings i can just blank them out so didnt do anything naughty! i think that it would be better for me shyvas as im in no big rush to lose the weight, id rather enjoy it more and be relaxed hmm.. any sugestions? xx
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 13:01

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas
Did you ask your-self why you wanted porridge so much ?

I was thinking the same thing. I know on South Beach you can eat porridge, and you have to do what's right for you, for long term success. maybe you should look at other plans...?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 13:52

BF:
Progress:

im considering south beach because i do enjoy the odd grain but im not a massive pasta/rice junkie or anything like that attal hmmm. I wonder if i could just go onto phase two of south beach even if it is slower result x
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 14:14

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

oats is the choice of a lot of body builders. Hopefully it won't kick in cravings resulting in an all out landslide of carbage lol.

Are you still in induction phase or ?????
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 14:21

BF:
Progress:

nearly at the end of induction.. about ten days in i wonder if its possible to have tiny ammounts of oats and still lose hmm
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 14:55

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I really really don't think oatmeal is going to cause your Tiny little body any harm, your 5'4 and and 115, sounds like a Perfect Barbie doll to me So rest your pretty little mind, and do your best at being healthy and eating healthy..
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 01:37

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Just my opinion, but oats have never derailed weight loss for me (ice cream is a whoooooo nother story )
It's a healthy food, filling and studies show it to have positive impace on bad ldl levels of cholesterol.

I'm going to give it a but everybody has to choose for themselves of course. Adds a lovely variety to bacon and eggs for breakfast