Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 22:51

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Another thing that just hit me ... until you wrap your head around the realization that this is NOT just to lose weight, this must be your new WOE (way of eating) and/or WOL (way of life), you will keep losing the pounds, then gaining them all back with friends. Once you make a lifelong commitment, your weight loss will become permanent!

If you're doing Atkins, climbing the carb ladder will help you discover where to draw the line, and will help to make this a very livable WOL. It's worked for me and many others.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 08:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/145.5/140 Male 66 in
BF:11
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyaAZ
2. To repeat what Lisa wrote, I cannot stress enough the importance of staying away from packaged "low carb" bars and (even worse) candies. These WILL slow your progress substantially and your cravings for carbs will return.
FreyaAZ

Also, these are usually sweetened with sugar alcohols which cause significant flatulence for many people. Unless you are always in a place where letting gas out is not a problem, you might be careful with this stuff.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 12:11

Plan: Atkins/Leptin Hybrid
Stats: 150/131/130 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 95%

Lol, Bruce! I didn't realize there was a flatulence connection with sugar alcohols. I still say, I couldn't survive doing this stuff without the occasional Russell-Stover SF turtle (one or maybe two). You *can* use them, just don't go overboard.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 14:19
Registered Member

Stats: 231.4/231.4/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ok, I know I'm not as experienced as most of you on here, but as a newbie on Induction Day #6 I have to say this:

-If someone had told me how FREAKIN' AWESOME I would be feeling already, I'd have started this years ago!!! I cannot tell you how long it has been since I have felt this darn good! I have energy, motivation, drive, focus, emotional stability, and the list goes on and on! Oh, yeah AND I'm dropping weight like flies!

-This, for me, is absolutely not about physicalities - this is most definitely a Total Mental Shift - a deviation from my old way of thinking about food. I think once you make that turn-around, you will never want to "cheat" or go back to the way you were eating.

Just letting you all know how wonderful this WOL is and how I feel like I have been "reborn" so to speak! I seriously feel like I've been dead for the past 4-5 years and have let all the frustration of raising children and guilt of over-eating bad food overtake my whole being! Well, NO MORE!!!!! I'm a new person and I can't WAIT for the outside to reflect what I'm feeling on the inside!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 14:36

Plan: Dr's plan Atkins like
Stats: 237/208/140 Female 5"7'
BF:don't wanna know!
Progress: 30%

Thanks for this thread! I am far from a Newbie... this will be my 4th shot, but it is helping me to remember alot!!! Thnaks again!

Dee
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 15:12

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyaAZ
2. To repeat what Lisa wrote, I cannot stress enough the importance of staying away from packaged "low carb" bars and (even worse) candies. These WILL slow your progress substantially and your cravings for carbs will return.
FreyaAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceInAla
Also, these are usually sweetened with sugar alcohols which cause significant flatulence for many people. Unless you are always in a place where letting gas out is not a problem, you might be careful with this stuff.

If you happen to be one of the "fortunate" ones who has no gastric reaction to sugar alcohols, be warned that your body very likely is processing the SAs the same as it would real sugar. I found that my fasting blood sugar was reaching pre-diabetic levels until I cut out the sugar-free chocolate and candies. It's back to normal now that I really limit sweets!
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 10:15

Plan: HighFat/LC
Stats: 160/158/135 Female 5' 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
If you happen to be one of the "fortunate" ones who has no gastric reaction to sugar alcohols, be warned that your body very likely is processing the SAs the same as it would real sugar. I found that my fasting blood sugar was reaching pre-diabetic levels until I cut out the sugar-free chocolate and candies. It's back to normal now that I really limit sweets!

And if your body is processing this as real sugar then that would account for any resulting stall and/or weight gain that occurs wth these LC processed sweets.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 12:38
Registered Member

Stats: 315/275/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Ive been doing Atkins/Low carb Living now for almost 5 months. Ive lost 40lbs so far and I'm eating well. People are noticeing the weight loss and commenting. Now still have 75 more pounds to go, and it will probably take me a year to get there, but this has been said before, this isn't a diet... its a lifestyle change, and I'm ok with it. Yeah I had some of my mom's delicious christmas cookies, but I didn't stuff myself on them. I might have gained a little weight from it but today I was down to 275 and am thrilled its almost time to buy smaller pants again YAY! My mom bought me 2 XL shirts for xmas... a little too small for this year, but next year they will be fine.

Doing this slowly I'm learning what i can eat and what works for me. Ive given up caffiene, probably had 4 cups of coffee in the last 3 months used to be a cup a day. Water is your friend and I drink alot of it. Splenda rocks and they do put it in some of those powdered drink mixes (4C brand has it) so i have an alternative to water or my decaf tea. I wish when I tried this Low carb lifestyle 17 years ago I was mature enough to have accepted it and stayed with it... oh well now is always a good time to start something!

Also don't let anyone put you down... People can be annoying, let them say what they want and ignore them... your the one who is going to lose weight and look and feel better.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 19:19

Stats: 191/174/150 Female 72" (6 ft)
BF:
Progress: 41%

6. - You'll likely eat way more food than you think is reasonable in the first several days of a lower carb eating plan. You'll feel really hungry and have lots of cravings. The way around this is to let yourself eat as much 'on plan' food as you need to get past this phase. Within a few days, the carbs will be out of your system, you'll have gotten past the withdrawal and the cravings - and your appetite will diminish quite a bit. In the meantime, eat as much as you need to stick to plan. It's not unheard of to have *two* bunless burgers, or need/want second helpings of roasted chicken or what have you. This is all ok - your appetite will normalize in just a few days. Whatever you do, do NOT cave into the cravings that are sure to be experienced in the first several days, and if it takes eating what seems like too much food (all low carb of course), then do it.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

OMG! Citruskiss! The above quote is exactly how I have been feeling! Thank You. On day 4 of induction, and the amount of fat and what I have been trained to think of as "bad" foods that I have been consuming has been wigging me out- I feel stuck and blocked and like this is all wrong! I have been having huge guilt. I needed to hear this Thank You, Thank you!

MomJeans
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 19:21

Stats: 191/174/150 Female 72" (6 ft)
BF:
Progress: 41%

Also... why no caffeine????
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 19:51
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momjeans
Also... why no caffeine????

Hi there. I'd like to suggest that you read Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution as well as Atkins for Life. He outlines the diet completely in that book, and you will find the answers there to many questions.

Re: caffeine, Dr Atkins says that caffeine can cause hypoglycaemia and that is why he recommends ditching it.

However, many folk have lost and lost well while still drinking coffee, so I'd suggest you only stop if you are having difficulty losing. Just my opinion.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 20:35
Registered Member

Stats: 326/318/000 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
6. Dieting is hard--don't let anybody try and tell you it's not. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.

I just had to say how much I love this. Today at lunch I told the girls I started Atkins on the 1st and one of them said "its just so hard to stick to". So I told her so was being over weight and I have picked my "hard".
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 22:44

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa

6. Dieting is hard--don't let anybody try and tell you it's not. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.

Thanks for posting this.. That is exactly the point I am at.. being over weight is just too much for me anymore, my knee's hurt.. my back hurts.. my feet hurt.. you get the idea. I'm ready to make changes in my life so that I don't have to deal with this pain anymore.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 11:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/204/145 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/34.9%/24.9%
Progress: 14%

Started induction monday.... feeling prettty good. i'm not earting enough vegies though. I have a hard time getting them down I have very picky palate. anyone have a good stir fry recipe that is good?
I haven't made it to the gym yet this week tomorrow will be my day to get that going.... wish me luck -I HATE BEING SORE... Lol!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 15:57

Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

I stir fry anything that I can. I take packaged shrimp, stir in green onions, broccoli, pea pods and whatever else sounds good and is low carb. Bean sprouts, jicama, zucchini shreds.... Most of the packaged stir fry mixes are about 4-5 carbs...just don't overdo your serving size.

The sauce is easy, as long as you go easy on it. Water, soy sauce and just a little corn starch mixed together and added last. (Sorry VLC'ers, I haven't found a stir fry sauce that works without a few carbs.) The other choice is to just stir fry the mix with oil but without sauce, but I have a hard time consuming this with no sauce.