Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-09, 06:45

Plan: Low-Carb Mediterranean Di
Stats: 173/168/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I like that: "diabetes type 0," assuming that's cured or diabetes in remission. Hadn't heard it before.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 03:46
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD
I like that: "diabetes type 0," assuming that's cured or diabetes in remission. Hadn't heard it before.
I think everyone should regard themselves as potentially diabetic.
This type of research showing
that dietary fructose specifically increases de novo lipogenesis, promotes dyslipidemia, decreases insulin sensitivity, and increases visceral adiposity in overweight/obese adults should make us particularly wary of consuming anything containing HFCS.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 08:22

Plan: starting Bernstein
Stats: 160/147/125 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 37%

As an American growing up in the rural US South, we ate what was locally grown, and that included corn syrup over sugar, marjoram over butter, and corn oil to fry things in. So we of the baby boomer generation are reaping what was sown years ago in our childhood: ingesting corn syrup and bad fats, the underpinnings of a diet detrimental to our health.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 08:37

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

I like to think of myself as: "Post-Diabetic", no longer having diabetic symptoms, no longer having diabetic battles that are overwhelming and all time consuming, but yet the diabetic condition still exists.... Just as pre-diabetes can lead forward to T2 diabetes, Post-diabetes can lead back to T2 diabetes. The pendulum swings both ways!

There is a saying:

Each day, we either accumulate or squander our health!

Our biggest obstacle is most likely our instinct to resist change. We tend to cling to our beliefs, but when we change or abandon our beliefs, then we make room to learn and improve our human condition.

Example: My resistance to mega-dosing on certain vitamins, but finally, I abandoned my belief in order to acquire a new belief and acting upon my new belief, I saw improvement. It is an ongoing process of abandonment and acquiring if we are to succeed at anything and everything.

One caveat: If things are not getting more simple, you're most likely going in the wrong direction.

Last edited by Cajunboy47 : Mon, Dec-14-09 at 09:36.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 21:46

Plan: Low-Carb Mediterranean Di
Stats: 173/168/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I spent 25 minutes browsing at Diabetes Diet UK and never could determine who was the author. Barry Groves, I guess. But why would the author make it difficult to find out? Seems fishy.

Don't experience and credentials stand for something?

[I have two websites and both have an easily seen "about" button.]

-Steve
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 06:02
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD
I spent 25 minutes browsing at Diabetes Diet UK and never could determine who was the author. Barry Groves, I guess. But why would the author make it difficult to find out? Seems fishy.

Don't experience and credentials stand for something?

[I have two websites and both have an easily seen "about" button.]

-Steve
I think sometimes people are very prejudiced and if they have a fixed idea about something they just switch off. I think by distancing himself from the information on the site (although providing lots of links back to Barry Groves resources) it may give people time to consider what he is saying rather than immediately switching off.

You only have to mention "Atkins" or "low Carb" and many people automatically switch off and say "More of that Atkins Crap, don't you know how dangerous that is?" and you have lost them unless you've a lot of time and patience to re-educate them. I'm sure Barry Groves may feel that as well as presenting his information directly on his own Branded Second Opinions website having similar information on a less controversial website gives people a chance to examine his ideas and the reasons for them in a less prejudiced manner. There are some younger people who are so prejudiced they consider people over 65 as decrepit and incapable of applying common sense to even simple matters.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 08:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Why is it that people have to be so hostile and contentious ?

I think we all know that once you have diabetes there is no known "cure" but we know how to control it quite well.

Phase I response is gone, but we still have phase II and if we control our intake however we do that we can maintain "safe" BG numbers.

We can avoid damage to other organs such as feet, eyes, etc.

Best wishes,

Ralph
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 05:08
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinbr
Why is it that people have to be so hostile and contentious ?

I think we all know that once you have diabetes there is no known "cure" but we know how to control it quite well.
Trouble is that people like to use the word "cure" because as far as they are concerned remission of symptoms is what they are after.

I don't have a diabetes diagnosis though I did have all the symptoms of metabolic syndrome and it was probably only a matter of time, but I do have the late effects of polio and before vitamin D, omega 3 and magnesium I was aging at an accelerated rate. I wasn't able to walk or even stand for long so was signficantly disabled. Improving vitamin D levels solved the problems arising from pain, muscle weakness, depression, low immune status, and sexual dysfunction, I can now walk and stand for long enough to both prepare a meal and wash up afterwards. I no longer use a wheelchair. But I cannot say attacking inflammation aggressively through diet, supplements and exercise CURES Post Polio Syndrome because the damage polio caused initially will always be there and so I cannot ever stop what I am currently doing to hold the symptoms at bay.

It's just the same for diabetics.
Once the symptoms are recognized then the genetic and environmental predisposition to diabetes has to be accepted and anti diabetes diet, exercise and supplement regimes adopted.
But saying there is no CURE implies you have to accept fully the "official" diabetes protocol but that is only symptom management pharmaceutically the Barry Groves approach is to avoid the symptoms. Using the word CURE smacks of quackery but relief from symptoms and improved quality of life are in effect a cure from the current problems and offer hope of a better prognosis.

I find the attitude of most diabetics and forums for diabetics totally hostile to the potential for reduction of symptoms through dietary change or supplement use. It doesn't matter how many evidence based peer reviewed articles you produce, on the whole they would rather pump up the insulin so they can continue to harm themselves with refined carbs.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 08:07

Plan: starting Bernstein
Stats: 160/147/125 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 37%

And, too, some people like their disease. If you tell someone who is complaining of rheumatoid arthritis about the Harvard protocol of antibiotics for rheumatic diseases they will often tune out. They don't want to hear it, and they don't really want to get well. I know that sounds strange, but I do believe some people get some sort of gratification from their disease. I started an insidious slow slippage back into the symptoms of joint pain, muscle soreness, tiredness et al (scleroderma) over the last year, began taking minocycline again (after several years off) and I am finding the symptoms beginning to abate. (Mino both hits organisms and is anti inflammatory as well.) I am definitely feeling better and walking better, much better. As to my diet, I pushed the envelope over the Christmas holidays but now am back to low carb -- for me, no bread, no grains, no potatoes, no sweets, but I settled into two glasses of wine every evening and I will see how that shakes out in the next month or so when I get my blood drawn.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 10:23

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerina
And, too, some people like their disease. If you tell someone who is complaining of rheumatoid arthritis about the Harvard protocol of antibiotics for rheumatic diseases they will often tune out. They don't want to hear it, and they don't really want to get well. I know that sounds strange, but I do believe some people get some sort of gratification from their disease. I started an insidious slow slippage back into the symptoms of joint pain, muscle soreness, tiredness et al (scleroderma) over the last year, began taking minocycline again (after several years off) and I am finding the symptoms beginning to abate. (Mino both hits organisms and is anti inflammatory as well.) I am definitely feeling better and walking better, much better. As to my diet, I pushed the envelope over the Christmas holidays but now am back to low carb -- for me, no bread, no grains, no potatoes, no sweets, but I settled into two glasses of wine every evening and I will see how that shakes out in the next month or so when I get my blood drawn.

IIRC, it has been observed that rheumatoid arthritis patients is often accompanied by cheerfulness.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 10:47

BF:

We must do our best to "hold at bay" the nasty consequences of uncontrolled diabetes be it T1 or T2.

That is my mission.

That is what most people hope to achieve in this forum, at least that is what I am led to believe.

I have learned a lot. I know there are things I should have done years ago, but didn't. In fact, I know that some things that I should have done but didn't were also a result of the then best current thinking of the medical community.

I have definitely moved from fixing the problem to preventing the problem in my thinking and approach. This statement is amended once you have a problem/disease you then want to minimize its impact on your overall well being.

Vitamin D3, Omega 3 and magnesium are major breakthroughs from my perspective in helping me to "extend my life span" albeit much abuse preceded in my earlier years.

Ralph
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 08:37

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Ralph
I agree 100 percent.
I also take D3,magnesium,omega-3 in addition to medium carb
diet and exercise along with bolus insulin(no basal required anymore).Results are good:weight loss,A1C=4.8,FBG usually in
high 80's.
Cheers
Eddie
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 09:17

BF:

Wow Eddie,

That is fantastic.

My numbers are coming down, but not all the way there.

More and more I am getting readings below 100. I am taking Metformin ER and that is that.

I guess I could use bolus too to really gain tight control, but I don't except for that very rare exception now of a total carb pig out.

I have also noticed that my insulin resistance has dropped dramatically.

Now to get more weight off.

Ralph