Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-11, 21:31

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FowlFiend
Give out an apple or healthy treat! Or toothbrushes... The tradition can and should change.

I agree. I've never liked Halloween - even long before lc. The only reason why we participate is because dh insists. If it were up to me our light would be off.

Other ideas for healthy offerings:

cheese sticks
individual bags of nuts
individual bags of carrots (they sell these now!)
quarters (what kid doesn't like money! )
little toys (like plastic rings, mini slinky, tops, bouncy balls, etc. - think Oriental Trading Company)
stickers
temporary tattoos

Can you tell I've thought this through?!?

But realistically the kids <want> candy. That's what they are knocking on your door for. It's sad.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 12:59

Plan: General LC (was Atkins)
Stats: 168/145.8/155 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:32%/24%/?
Progress: 171%

Those are some great ideas, Freckles! I like the temp tattoos idea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
I agree. I've never liked Halloween - even long before lc. The only reason why we participate is because dh insists. If it were up to me our light would be off.

Other ideas for healthy offerings:

cheese sticks
individual bags of nuts
individual bags of carrots (they sell these now!)
quarters (what kid doesn't like money! )
little toys (like plastic rings, mini slinky, tops, bouncy balls, etc. - think Oriental Trading Company)
stickers
temporary tattoos

Can you tell I've thought this through?!?

But realistically the kids <want> candy. That's what they are knocking on your door for. It's sad.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-11, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 216/110/110 Female 60
BF:40/25/20
Progress: 100%

Hi, I'm Ruby and brand new here. Thank you freckles for recommending this thread!

Coming late into this but, I intend to handle the holidays much like I do any other time. I make huge pots of brothy soups that I can heat up easily. I dive into these yummy soups on a regular basis as they are very filling and since my soups are largely spicy Asian types, full of bok choy and greens with chicken and or fish. I find them extremely satifying. I also allow myself some "planned" treats here and there.

As for giving out treats on Halloween, I don't imagine we'll get any trick or treaters. Most kids go to houses they know or go to a party these days. I don't even have candy in the house and since I've just moved, I can't say I have anything planned at the moment.

♥Ruby
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-11, 13:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262.8/167.0/135 Female 5'3"
BF:lots and lots
Progress: 75%

We just close up the house and head out with our kids - make trick or treating a total family affair! While we let our kids have the treats - I did notice that they got the biggest kicks out of getting snack bags of almonds (that one surprised me), bouncy balls, and there was one guy handing out puzzles that came in skeleton shaped wrappers....oh and also glow sticks

I'm planning on staying away from all hc treats during the holidays (they still have too much power over me lol I will simply make lc treats that I can enjoy without the guilt) - the last time I did Atkins I began my downfall by enjoying hc treats thinking it'd be easy to go back to lc after the holidays were done - boy was I wrong!!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-11, 13:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
If the president can stay healthy through the holidays, so can you

You think you have a rough time avoiding temptation over the holidays? It's probably nothing compared with the parties the president and first lady have to navigate. But as Cornell McLellan tells it, the First Family doesn't need any diet advice. He should know--he's their personal trainer.

"They get it--this is a lifestyle for them," he said of the Obamas. "Once you prioritize your health, fitness becomes who you are. These are people who work out every day, and they know how to make good food choices. They host a lot of Christmas parties, so it's great that they are who they are--I don't know who else could get through these parties."

When we spoke with McLellan he had just wrapped up the keynote speech at the American Council on Exercise's annual fitness symposium in San Diego. The owner of the Chicago training facility Naturally Fit, McLellan is also co-chairman of the President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition. He had high praise for ACE's part in Joining Forces, a national initiative involving various areas of society to help and support service members and their families, including 1 million hours of free fitness services.

While McLellan said he doesn't accompany the Obamas that often when they travel, he doesn't worry that anyone is sneaking cookies on the sly or slacking off on their workouts. There's usually an adequate hotel gym, or the old stand-by: body resistance exercises.

"The president is someone who is going to work out," McLellan said, "even if he has to get up early. Wherever he is in the world he's going to make sure to get his time in."

Michelle Obama, he added, was one of the first people to complete the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award challenge, a six-week program designed to help children and adults adopt more healthful diet and fitness habits. The first lady, he said, wasn't cut any slack just because she lives in the White House.

"She had to report every jumping jack--everything," he said. "We're not just giving the awards out."

What's his advice for the rest of us who hope to dodge the egg nog and an extra five pounds this season?

"First, understand that your health is your wealth, and make sure to prioritize fitness," he said. "Do it first thing in the morning and get it out of the way."

Starving yourself before a big dinner is a big no-no: "That would be the wrong idea. Keep on your regular routine and think in terms of small portions." Two more tips: drink water before you start eating, and put your meal on a salad plate, which is smaller than a dinner plate. "Have 90% of what you need and 10% of what you want," he said.

So with all this great guidance, we guess there's no way to avoid sticking to a healthful lifestyle this season.

McLellan agreed. "I think all the excuses have been used up."

http://www.latimes.com/health/boost...0,6105237.story

Regardless of whether you agree with their actual food choices or not, I think the key here is that they've made it a lifestyle choice.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-11, 13:49

BF:

Quote:
Gateway Foods: The Slippery Slope of “Just a Bite”

The holidays are coming and with them the food. Maybe with Halloween come and gone, the season is already upon you in your social/work/family circles. Beyond the actual meals themselves, there are the umpteen parties, open houses, potlucks, lunches, brunches, happy hours, coffee hours, bake sales, soup suppers, and bazaars – as well as the continual conveyer belt of office/shop/home display of every sweet and savory (mostly sweet) treat known to humankind. As fun as it all is, the holidays can be a seasonal equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle – a festively decorated abyss where good intentions get swallowed along with the latest Martha Stewart recipe.

We Primal types bring both common sense and the reasonable 80/20 Principle to the holiday season (as any other occasion). We partake moderately and selectively. We use ingenuity and well cultivated Primal taste to create (or adapt) our own choice holiday delicacies. In short, we have no problem enjoying the party. We’re just rarely the ones with the proverbial lampshade on our heads at the end of the buffet table, so to speak. We can enjoy our favorite dishes without chucking every goal and standard we have for our health. Nonetheless, even those of us with the most stalwart wills and number of years under our Primal belts wisely steer clear of a few foods out of sheer sensibility.

Most of us have at least one. I’m talking about those foods you know in your heart of hearts (and maybe hard experience) can send you down a slippery slope. Maybe it’s the taste, the plain sugar rush, or the emotional association. Whatever the source of temptation, it’s a Pandora’s Box better left undisturbed.

I’ve been Primal so long that I don’t get conventional cravings much. Even when I indulge and have a few bites of really good pie or bread once in a while, I’m no worse for the wear. When I’m done with the piece, I’m done. That was delicious. Case closed. Some foods, however, are more problematic. For me, it’s Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream. (Yes, there it is.) Ice cream was a relic of my extreme training days, and there’s just something about Cherry Garcia. A little too easily turns into a lot. I find it’s just better to stay away.

Is your mind wandering to any particular foods now? It seems the holidays are a common time for their appearance – or maybe omnipresence. They’re the foods that once tasted, beckon you to keep coming back. (You can just hear that apple strudel calling you….) More than just good, more than just run of the mill tempting, they’re downright precipitous.

True gateway foods can wreak havoc with more than just your intended portion size, however. Suddenly, other things start looking good that you’ve had no taste for in a long time. This particular surrender to temptation can become a catalyst for a broader descent like a gateway drug leading you to something bigger and badder. You’re one brownie away from inhaling half the dessert buffet. (Or half those leftover Halloween candies taking up space in the cupboard still?)

Histrionics aside, these are foods I suggest leaving out of the 80/20 picture because they’re just too complicated to be worth it. As much sentimental value as they might have or as good as they might be, if they can’t be a moderate end in themselves, it’s just better to bench ‘em.

All this said, it’s illuminating to see how much power we often assign to food. It’s an inanimate object. It’s one among a bazillion choices we have for things to eat. Yet, we can feel certain foods have a hold on us. We consider them a nemesis, their presence on this earth a continual threat to our well-being like some kind of personal kryptonite. It’s a power relationship, of course, entirely constructed in our heads. By all means, avoid a specific food if it imposes more complication than it’s worth. If it’s a presence in itself even when you don’t eat it, that one likely calls for some deeper examination.

With the holidays coming, I always suggest folks think about how they’re going to enjoy it Primally – especially if this is your first holiday season since going Primal. Think about each event and how you’ll handle it – what you’ll eat and what you won’t. Being honest about any gateway – or otherwise thorny – food items is a big part of this. It’s usually easier to control our environments at less social times of the year. What will it mean to stay Primal within a fully conscious 80/20 framework this holiday season – in the midst, for example, of a big family Thanksgiving dinner and the other upcoming celebrations? Sometimes the best strategy is knowing where, when and how you’ll graciously say “no thanks.”
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gate...of-just-a-bite/
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 17:13

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

If you have a problem with saying no thanks than LIE.... say my doctor thinks I have gluten intolerence so I can't eat that....trust me when you bring up doctor they back off.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 13:26

BF:

Quote:
14 Tips for Controlling Holiday Eating

I've been thinking a lot about my eating habits lately -- probably because the holiday season is so full of temptation. Here are some guidelines that I've been trying to follow, whether eating in or eating out, with various degrees of fidelity.

1. Wear snug-fitting clothes.

2. Buy food in small containers. Studies show that people give themselves larger portions out of larger boxes, so I don't buy that economy box of whatever.

3. Make tempting food inconvenient. -- Put cookies in a hard-to-reach spot, set the freezer to a very cold temperature so it's hard to spoon out ice cream, store goodies in hard-to-open containers.

4. Order the appetizer size.

5. Use smaller plates, bowls and cutlery. I often use the plastic plates we have left over from when my daughters were young.

6. Dish food up in the kitchen, and don't bring serving platters onto the table (except vegetables).

7. Pile my plate with everything I intend to eat, and don't get seconds once that food is gone. (I can do this with everything except my favorite Thanksgiving food, served every year in my family: sweet potatoes with marshmallows.)

8. Keep serving sizes small: get a small frozen yogurt instead of a large (OK, I would get a medium, not a small, but still); get a single hamburger instead of a double.

9. Skip the add-ons: tell the waiter that I don't want the side of fries, don't add croutons or bacon to my salad. I feel like Sally from "When Harry Met Sally" as I quibble about how my food should be served, but oh well.

10. After dinner, signal myself that "Eating's over:" brush my teeth, clean up the kitchen, turn out the lights.

11. Don't allow myself to get too hungry or too full.

12. Realize that, with some things, I can't have just a little bit. In the abstainer/moderator split, I'm a hard-core abstainer. It's far easier for me to skip cookies, bagels and chocolate than it is to have a sensible portion.

13. Never eat hors d'oeuvres.

14. Don't eat food I don't like, just because it's there. No one cares if I have a serving of asparagus or cranberry sauce.

I've realized that although it seems festive and carefree to indulge in lots of treats, in the end, I feel guilty and overstuffed. Which doesn't make the holiday happier. It's a secret of adulthood: By giving myself limits, I give myself freedom.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gretc..._b_1110219.html
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-11, 15:10

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I like the first one! I used that yesterday. I wore one of my new pair of tight jeans and a form fitting shirt. Got lots of compliments and knowing how good I looked did help me easily pass on some temptations.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-11, 05:04

BF:

A bit late I know, but the following from Drew Manning's Fit2Fat2Fit blog could equally apply to Christmas:

Quote:
Thanksgiving Day Rules!

Here are the basic guidelines I will follow for Thanksgiving (and all holidays in general):

Rule #1: This is Thanksgiving dinner, not Thanksgiving Week, Month, and Year

Make sure and stick to your meal plans for the rest of the day, and for the rest of the week. Thanksgiving dinner is 1 meal out of 5 this Thursday. And it’s only 1 of 25 for the entire week. Stick to your other meals throughout the day. Why? You won’t over-stuff yourself on one unhealthy meal (and you’ll keep your metabolism up!).

Rule #2: You don’t get bonus points for only having one meal

Don’t starve yourself and skip other meals just so that you’ll “have more room” to eat more Turkey. Obviously if you follow Rule #1 you’ll have no problem with this one, but being overweight, I am starting to see how various “bend the rules” ideas pop up. They do for me too. Resist the urge.

Rule #3: Stick to a realistic definition of a “portion”

When you are at the dinner table, eat smaller portions of the good stuff. If you know you’ll be eating some of your favorite Thanksgiving foods, limit yourself to smaller portions (fist size – and this isn’t an Andrew The Giant fist, people!). If you follow this rule, you’ll be able to comfortably enjoy all of your favorites, and avoid heading back for seconds, thirds, or twelfths.

Rule #4: One dessert. Wait let me be more specific. One portion of one dessert!

Yes, I said one (I’m suddenly glad so few of you know where I live. I feel a Thanksgiving mutiny coming on!). No need to have a slice of every pie that’s there. Coming back to random Andre The Giant references, a slice is a regular, moderate slice. And if you don’t cut the pie, it doesn’t mean the entire pie is now a slice!). Every holiday or birthday party I attend, I have a small piece of dessert. I just do it in moderation. Eat it slower too – you’ll enjoy it more!

Rule #5: Enjoy yourself! This is NOT a fad diet. This is a lifestyle

Like I said on Dr. Oz, I would splurge a bit on the weekends and holidays while sticking to the rules above. This way you always still enjoy yourself at parties or on holidays and yet you don’t throw away all your results from the week by consuming 10,000 calories in just one sitting.

http://www.fit2fat2fit.com/2011/11/...ving-day-rules/
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-11, 06:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/152/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I like the thought that this is my own private game. Although I am in the beginning stages of my new way of eating I feel that being proactive rather than reactive is best for me.. I prepare my mind for the upcoming battle and kind of make a game out of it.. (and I like winning). I Like to imagine myself being strong and in control. I picture myself passing up the goodies.

I also tell myself that "just one taste" is like letting the evil monster into my brain and makes the monster stronger and me weaker. I try to picture that. I am just starting this so I feel I have to fight hard. I think if I put a little on my plate that I might eat it before I throw it away. It's just me. I know I am weak so I try hard to make myself strong. I don't care what anyone thinks or I don't feel bad turning down their goodies. Others will surely gobble them up.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 03:32

BF:

Quote:
Mindful Eating: 10 Ways to Eat Mindfully During the Holidays

Dr. Susan Albers

Respond Mindfully To "I Want It" Thoughts
Good food can be hard to turn down this time of year. Respond rather than react to thoughts that urge you to eat whenever you see something yummy. Before you take a helping, pop a piece of sugar-free hard candy in your mouth. Let it dissolve slowly. When it is completely dissolved, ask yourself, "Do I really want it?" This can help you cut down on mindless picking and acting on your first impulse. If you still want it, great, have a small portion.

Save The Best For Last
Love gingerbread cookies? Save this for the last bite. New research in Appetite medical journal indicates that we tend to get more enjoyment and be less tempted to eat more later if we eat our favorite food last.[1]

Sit Down
It sounds simple enough. However, how many of us take a plate of food and nibble on it until we've found a seat? It's hard to really enjoy food when you are standing up, balancing a plate. Don't take a bite unless you are on a chair and can truly enjoy what you are eating.

State Out Loud Three of Your Favorite Foods
It's likely that you named foods you only get once a year like cranberry dressing, Aunt Beth's sweet potato pie or gingerbread cookies. Consider what it is about these foods that give you pleasure. The texture? Taste? Smell? Focus on the foods you really love. Savor. Think about whether you really enjoy filler foods like rolls, things you can get all year. Stick to what you know you love.

Mindful Distraction
When food is the only event at a holiday meal, it makes it too easy to mindlessly eat. Bring your favorite game or cards. Or, tote along photos from the year to ooh and ahh over. Get your mind off of food with fun activities.

Find Ways To Soothe And Comfort Yourself
Holidays are exciting and stressful. Find ways to calm and soothe yourself so you don't turn to food for comfort. Take a five minute breather. Drink a hot cup of black tea (which can reduce your cortisol, or stress hormone, levels).[2] Play holiday music.

Rethink The Holidays
In many ways, the holiday meal is just like any other. There is often an abundance of food. Seeing the holidays as "different" or "special" seems to imply that there is a different way we should eat. Yes, it is a holiday. However, mindful eating is not a diet. You don't have to avoid good food. It just means eating it slowly, with full awareness. This is something you can do all year long.

Mindless Triggers
It's likely that you can pinpoint some of your most common mindless eating triggers. Do you tend to pick mindlessly at food when it is sitting directly in front of you? Does eating next to an annoying relative lead you to stress eat? Make a list of things that sabotage your mindful eating. Make a plan about how to address them. For example, pick your favorite person to sit next to and grab the seat at their side. If you tend to pick at food, commit to pushing away your plate out of reach at the first indication that you are full.

Eat Regularly
Why do we insist that holiday meals should not be at a traditional meal time? It is a challenge to readjust the stomach's internal clock. Be sure to eat when you normally eat. Snack. Stay ahead of your hunger.

Take Home Leftovers
Bring your own Tupperware. If you feel that you overeat because you enjoy good food, come equipped with your own doggie bag. No need to eat mindlessly if you know that you can savor it again later.

See Dr. Susan Albers' new book, But I Deserve This Chocolate: the 50 Most Common Diet-Derailing Excuses and How to Outwit Them. She is a psychologist for the Cleveland Clinic and author of five books on mindful eating including 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food and Eating Mindfully.

[1] Robinson, E.L.; Higgs, S. "Memory and food: Leaving the best till last." Appetite vol. 57 issue 2 October, 2011. p. 538.
[2] Steptoe, Andrew, et al. "The effects of tea on psychophysiological stress responsivity and post-stress recovery: a randomised double-blind trial." Psychopharmacology, Volume 190, issue 1 (January 2007), p. 81 - 89.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-su..._b_1135649.html
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-12, 05:09

BF:

A bit late for those of you who have just celebrated Thanksgiving, but some great tips here for keeping on track throughout the holidays ... whether you're paleo or not:

Quote:
Holiday Help: Dealing With Non-Paleo Peer Pressure…

“But Grandma made it just for you.” “Have a beer with me – one won’t kill ya.” “Why aren’t you having any (insert non paleo food item here).” Yep, it’s that time of year again – time for the seemingly endless holiday parties, gatherings, and holiday celebrations. We’re all painfully aware that the season’s food-laden festivities often result in the ‘phenomenon that is, (insert sound of impending doom – dun, dun, dun), the elastic waistband’. While this is something we’d like to avoid, sometimes that seems an impossible feat due to being ‘guilted’ into eating and drinking things because of those pesky ‘holiday food pushers’ – (seriously, they are VICIOUS!!). I mean really, who wants to ‘strong arm’ Grandma or Cousin Eddie – there are just some things that you don’t do… And damnif that beer, egg nog, pie, cookie, candy, stuffing and hell, even the jello were all a whole lot of tasty. The day after that gorge-fest, however; – um, can you say – EPIC Food Hangover!! This is like a fate worse than death in some cases – think ‘Montezuma’s Revenge’, along with a college hangover headache, and the lethargy of your common house cat… But it happened, and in a few days, maybe next week, and definitely again at Christmas – it’s going to happen again.

Okay, I’m pretty sure that you’re picking up what I’m putting down here – it’s the normal holiday pattern. And while the ‘food pushers’ likely don’t have to push very hard, you do feel a certain ‘obligation’ to eat, drink, and be merry right along with everyone else. I mean, who wants to deal with the questions, odd looks, and total disownment from your family, friends and coworkers. It’s so much easier to just ‘fall-in’ and do what everyone else is doing. But is it worth it?And when do you finally hit your tipping point and start thinking about the havoc you’re wreaking on your health, body and mindset? It’s sort of like college drinking (or high school drinking – when you grow up in Map Dot, South Dakota) – you may not ‘like the taste of alcohol’, or even really want to drink on a given Saturday night. But ‘everyone else’ is holding a red solo cup, and you feel naked without one. So, getting ‘tanked’ undoubtedly happens. The next day you wake up vowing that your drinking days are over – and then the weekend rolls around again and you guessed it…

I’m going to go ahead and risk sounding like your mom for a minute by saying, “If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you jump too?” Nothing like simplifying something complicated; thanks, mom. I know- if it were that easy we’d all never have had a hangover, done something we didn’t want to do, or have eaten a Necco wafer (NASTY!!). No, we often (READ: almost always), cave to peer pressure. Seriously, when will we EVER learn!! Now, I know some of you are thinking; “But Amy, I can’t handle the looks, questions, or having grandma hate me because I didn’t eat her special jello.” Well, let me play devil’s advocate here – is your health and the way you feel worth dealing with a few awkward glances or conversations? Or would you rather just cave and suffer the consequences and/or feelings of guilt later? **NOTE: I’m fairly certain that Grandma, or anyone else for that matter, is NOT going to ‘hate’ you for passing on something. Heck, they probably won’t even remember what THEY ate – let alone what YOU did or didn’t. Seriously, don’t flatter yourself by thinking that YOU are their biggest concern. And if someone decides to ‘blacklist’ you for turning down a beer or a scoop of stuffing- uh, I would question the value of their friendship. “Like, OMG; did you see Bob is like, so drinking club soda… I mean WTF? He is so not cool…” Really people, this is NOT junior high. You are a big boy/girl and are completely capable of making your own decisions. And sure it might be ‘easier’ to eat pie and drink beer than it is to deal with strange looks and questions, but I’m guessing you can handle it.

With a little ‘strategery’ you may be able to totally bamboozle your drinking and dining company. Here are some of my favorite tips on how to make holiday gatherings a little more manageable and not come out of the season sporting an elastic waistband.

■ It’s the holidays – enjoy them! It’s totally okay to indulge in some of your favorite holiday foods. This doesn’t mean partaking in copious amounts of things you could really care less about. (READ: dinner rolls, Stove-Top stuffing, that damn jello salad…) Choose the foods that only make appearances during the holidays, and pick only the ones that result in ‘a party for your taste buds.’ Really ENJOY your choices, and when you’re satisfied – stop eating. If it doesn’t taste absolutely awesome, then it’s not worth it anymore.

■ Don’t get ‘wasted’ or liquid sugar-logged. This is a big one! Many times we mindlessly sip ourselves into trouble – alcohol, egg nog, seasonal lattes, cider, or soda… Is a ‘cup of good cheer’ really where you want to spend your ‘indulgence’? If the answer is yes – then make sure you TASTE and really ENJOY the drink. Mindless sipping, warm beer, and fizzless soda should not be making the cut!!

■ Uh-oh! Grandma and the rest of the family have you on ‘dinner table defense’. This is when it starts getting tricky… Let’s say you cleverly avoided the unnaturally green, whip cream, jello, pineapple concoction that is known as “Aunt Susie’s Special Salad”, on the its first pass around the table – but unfortunately, it didn’t go unnoticed. Someone ‘helpfully’ points out to you (and everyone else at the table), that you didn’t have any and they pass it on over again. All eyes are on you; watching and waiting for your hand to grab the spoon and dish up a big scoop of ‘green goodness’. Think fast! It’s time to run interference!! If you find yourself in this situation try this – “Oh goodness, I can’t believe I missed it but I’m SO full from all this other delicious food. Would it be okay if I take some home to enjoy later when my stomach has room for it?” How’s that for some wicked trickery?? The maker of the dish will be flattered that you want to take some home and no one will be able to fault you. In the end you walk away food dye and cool whip free, smelling like roses.

■ If the above interference play doesn’t fit your game plan, or ends up in a fumble, here’s a surefire way to recover. Dessert is yet to come, so pull the old “I would love some but I’m saving room for (insert worthy food item of choice).” card. Yep, dessert always wins – no one is going to argue that.

■ Just shoot it straight. Be honest about why you are or aren’t eating/drinking certain things. Feel free to throw in words like ‘health’ and ‘diabetes’. Tell them (READ: briefly) about how eating the way you do makes you feel. Sell them on the high points of ‘your way’ – but don’t be overbearing or pushy. Let them ask questions if they want to know more.

■ Host the party or meal. I know, it’s a lot of work – but it puts you in control of the food that’s served. If that just seems like a bad idea, or if the tradition is ‘we always go to grandmas on the holidays’, then bring a paleo friendly dish for everyone to share. This way you’ll definitely have something other than turkey to eat… Alternately, see if you can help prepare the meal. Come bearing the needed ingredients and go to town!

■ There’s one in every crowd… It’s highly likely that we all have to deal with at least one of those people that just can’t let it go. You know the type. It’s not so much a genuine interest or question, but more of a way to see if they can make you squirm. If you get attacked by one of these smart alecks here’s a surefire way to shut them up and hopefully ward off further confrontation. Sample conversation: Smart Aleck asks, “Why aren’t you having any (insert food/drink item here)?” Instead of going into a lengthy explanation (also known as ‘wasting your breath’), turn the question around and ask them, “Why are you eating/drinking (insert chosen food/drink item)?” While saying this inconspicuously raise your eyebrow – this will confuse them and if nothing else, it will make them pause and wonder what the hell just happened there. This should give you adequate time to head over to Cousin Tom and start a chat about the weather. Best case scenario, you make them think about that fourth glass of egg nog or third piece of fudge. Yeah, they’ll leave you alone…

Well folks, that’s what I’ve got in my bag of tricks on this one. If anyone else has some other clever ideas, let us hear them! The more the merrier. Start putting together your play book now. A solid game plan will help you come out of this holiday season with your health, sanity and social life still intact.

What’s your plan?

http://robbwolf.com/2012/11/21/holi...-peer-pressure/
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-12, 05:44

BF:

Nell Stephenson over at Paleoista is planning a Holiday Tip of the Day for staying on track:

Quote:
Holiday Paleoista Tip of the Day is Back

A few years ago, I decided to devote all my blog posts in December to a ‘holiday paleo tip of the day’.

From handling the food and drinks at the office Christmas party or politely declining your mother in law’s cookie platter, I’ll be giving advice on how to stay true to your Paleo self all month long.

Imagine a New Year when you’re already on track to better eating and exercise habits and as a result, that much closer to your goal weight or optimal health!

What a nice scenario instead of the old, ‘the heck with everything now; I’ll deal with my poor state of health after the holidays are over’ attitude, which can easily equal an additional ten pounds or more of extra fat.

http://paleoista.com/news/holiday-p...he-day-is-back/

Holiday Tip # 1 – Being the ‘Helper’
http://paleoista.com/news/holiday-t...ing-the-helper/
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-12, 06:34

BF:

Quote:
Your Guide To A Guilt-Free Thanksgiving

by Medea Galligan

Thanksgiving is here, and shortly thereafter we have the Yuletide season. It’s a time of year when family, friends, festivities, and most of all food takes center stage in our lives. Since there’s no shortage of high-calorie, seasonal comfort foods, the holidays often break the resolve of those who usually watch what they eat. However, there are plenty of ways to enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner and the Holiday season without throwing out the basics of a healthful diet. Whether at a family meal, neighborhood cocktail party or office potluck, the key is making healthful choices while still enjoying food traditions.

As a Holistic Health Coach, I help people learn how to have a positive relationship with food, and I truly understand that nobody wants to just eat chicken and raw carrots at a holiday gathering. But at the same time, just because the Holidays have are here it doesn’t mean that you need to go over the deep end and eat anything and everything that you make or is available to you! So how do you strike a balance between not feeling deprived and not feeling guilty? There are a few strategies that once you learn how to adopt them in your life, eating can become physically and emotionally satisfying, as well as spiritually meaningful, during not only the Holidays but every day.

Despite every magazine cover and infomercial you’ve seen, developing a healthy and positive relationship with food DOES NOT mean adopting a life of counting calories, carbs, points, reps, laps, or pounds! Instead of forcing yourself to abide by the QUANTITATIVE guidelines of the latest fad diet, satisfying guilt-free eating revolves around understanding the QUALITATIVE difference between real foods that support your physical and emotional health, resulting in an efficient metabolism and positive outlook on life, and refined and processed non-foods that lead to depression, cravings, weight gain, heart disease and diabetes.

And perhaps even more important than WHAT you eat, is WHY you eat. Many of us have learned to use food as a way to make us feel good- we eat when we feel bored, sad, lonely, stressed, and even angry. Many of us grew up using food as a way to replace the love and attention we did not get from those closest to us, and often patterns of emotional eating continue unconsciously into adulthood. Regardless of the specific reasons for our “emotional hunger”, many of us rarely eat in response to true physical hunger and the true nutritional requirements of our bodies, and thus eat more food more often than our bodies can possibly use, resulting in weight gain and numerous chronic “diseases”.

Not only do many people eat to counter uncomfortable emotions all year long, but when the Holiday “feast” days roll around, starting with Thanksgiving, there are additional feelings of reward and entitlement, “it only comes once a year”, “I deserve to enjoy the holiday”, and other such statements are used to justify unconscious holiday binging. But we need to ask ourselves, “Does food REALLY make us happy?” Is it food, in and of itself, that makes us feel loved, worthy and whole? It quickly becomes clear that food, regardless of how delicious it is, can not make us feel better about who we are and can not really take away the hurt and pain. Eating for emotional reasons can only act as a short-term Band-Aid with very large long-term consequences in the form of weight gain, obesity, diabetes, and heart disease, to name a few.

The good news is that you CAN learn to separate your emotional and physical hunger, finding healthy ways to finally heal emotional wounds and learn how listen to your physical body for when it truly is hungry and when it truly is full. Many wonderful methods exist to help us handle both our current and stored emotions. When you take the time to understand WHY you eat and honestly look at the root of your “hunger”, it becomes possible to listen to and honor the nutritional needs of your body and really enjoy eating when you are physically hungry. The tastes and flavors of whole, unprocessed foods and the vitality and energy that your feel after eating them becomes the foundation of a healthy lifestyle, with no will-power, deprivation, or guilt.

So here are my guidelines, step by step, for TRULY enjoying your Thanksgiving and Holiday Season as well as honoring your health goals into the New Year and beyond:

1. Let go of the “all” or “nothing” fallacy around eating, exercise, and health.

2. Spoil your appetite. A high-protein snack or meal can greatly reduce how much you eat at a cocktail party or holiday table and quell the temptation to load up on desserts and heavily sauced dishes. Most importantly, remember that skipping meals leads only to binging.

3. Start with small portions. The best way to enjoy a sweet or rich appetizer without losing control is by sampling. Find someone to split that slice of pecan pie with!

4. Pay attention to preparation and ingredients. Avoid loading up on foods that are full of sugar and refined carbohydrates. Opt instead for foods made with healthful ingredients such as pumpkin, cranberries, sweet potato and turkey.

5. High-quality fats such as avocados, butter, coconut oil, nuts and eggs make you feel full and help you not overeat, so don’t be afraid to use plenty of butter in your cooking.

6. Stay Hydrated. It’s easy to confuse hunger with thirst. Drink water to keep feeling full and energized. To reduce the number of calorie-laden drinks you consume, drink a glass of water between each beverage. This will help fill your stomach, leaving less room to overindulge.

7. Eat slowly. It takes at least 20 minutes to reach satiety. Eat slowly to allow your brain a chance to catch up with your stomach and let you know you are full.

8. Stay active to manage stress and stay energized. Enjoy a robust walk outdoors daily with friends and family!

9. Pamper yourself! Get a manicure, a pedicure, take a warm lavender bath or get a massage — all great ways to treat yourself without overeating.

10. Count your blessings. Besides sharing time with family and friends over food, the primary ingredient not to be overlooked is, of course, gratitude. Take a moment to consider what you’re truly thankful for, and share it with those you love.

I hope this guide helps you and your loved ones to have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
http://primaldocs.com/opinion/your-...e-thanksgiving/