Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Nov-25-09, 23:06

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger95
I think anyone who is dieting to lose weight is going to experience cravings no matter what they're eating.
Nope, not me by a long shot. Cravings are a whole different animal than normal ups and downs of full and empty.

Quote:
I think sometimes folks want to trade in their willpower for some magical combination of foods that will eliminate the need for it.
As it happens, for me when I eliminate drug-like foods, the need for "willpower" goes away. Willlpower is only needed if drugs are taken - because it's the drugs that set up the conditions in the first place. I'm not the only one this has happened to either.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Nov-25-09, 23:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I have a horrible feeling that I've said too much, but there you have it.

For what it's worth, I pretty much agree.

It's worth trying, maybe it is pretty magical for some people. I need to give it another shot. Last time I only managed it for a week.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-09, 07:05

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Nancy and Citrus, I also feel the same way. I too get slightly annoyed byt the posters who say "eat meat and drink water and everything will be perfect". Those types of responses are why I started this thread. I really want to know if this type of eating is really a panacea or if it is just some extreme way to do paleo. Eating all meat is not something everyone can do psychologically or physically so I wonder if some of our carnivores just like to do it cause it is so extreme and it makes them feel special. I know DH (a wanna-be carni) has said to me before that one way he resists carby food is to think about how he is doing something other people can't do so it makes him feel powerful. His idea of carby food is an apple or banana btw. I just can't justify resisting an urge to eat an apple or some butternut squash. How can those things be bad?
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-09, 07:36
Registered Member

Plan: VLC PāNu
Stats: 180/000/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 450%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
I really want to know if this type of eating is really a panacea or if it is just some extreme way to do paleo. Eating all meat is not something everyone can do psychologically or physically so I wonder if some of our carnivores just like to do it cause it is so extreme and it makes them feel special.

I don't think you really do want to know. I think your mind is set since you repeatedly post the same thing about how you're not able to do it while ignoring everyone who simply say it works for them ok. If it doesn't work for you just walk on by, do what works for you.
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-09, 09:34
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Thank you, meatwhiskey.

I don't really understand the dynamic of these threads. They start off with a seemingly straightforward question: Who's a carnivore? Do you really think veggies are bad? Are you all from Mars? And then they devolve into "I'm annoyed that the people for whom this WOE is successful are so happy about it." Why wouldn't we be? Should we wear sackcloth and ashes, and apologize for losing weight and feeling good?

If you don't want to know, then don't ask. Simple. Or if you're trying to prove a point--that meat & water is hard, or not historically or evolutionarily "correct," or that we're all doomed to die at age 42, then go find the carnivorous failures, people who couldn't do it, or didn't really want to, or who got fat eating only meat (good luck with that last one). They're the ones who can give you a rundown of the negatives, not the people who are currently doing it and are happy. For those of us for whom this works, it works very well--that's why we do it. Duh.

You don't see me starting or hijacking Dr. K's "optimal" diet threads, calling it a load of crap, even though it failed spectacularly FOR ME. Nor do I pester my WW friends, vegan friends, or even Krispy Kreme and Velveeta-eatin' friends. It's not my business if someone else likes something different than I do. If it works for them, I'm quietly happy for them.

I'm not a sheepdog; I don't feel the drive to herd everyone into my own peculiar corral.
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-09, 09:48
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I edited my post a bit - realized that the second part of my post from yesterday wasn't necessary and sounded rude. Sorry about that everyone. (at myself).

I was really trying to say that I think eliminating grains, dairy, sugar, artificial sweeteners and such are the real benefits of these plans. I don't think I said it very well though. No matter where you are on the carb intake aspect - it's *always* good to eliminate grains, dairy, frankenfoods and so on. I think that this is a big part of the reason 'carnivore' works for lots of people.
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-09, 09:49
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

AimeeJoi - It sounds like your mind was made up before you started this thread. I don't say that in defense of my own eating because I agree with you on a lot of points. I haven't had anything particularly positive out of carnivorous eating other than convenience (not having to track on fitday), lack of cravings, and a happy gut which I credit to consuming very little fiber or gluten - not necessarily the low carb level. I've had the negative side effect of being really run-down. A lot of days, I could hardly lift my arms long enough to wash my hair, or be winded getting up the stairs. That's not a good trade-off, IMO.*

...but (putting on the mod hat here) threads that are intended for "plan wars" or complaining about the actions/attitudes of other members aren't kosher here. The War Zone, sometimes; but not in the support areas.

*(FWIW, I'm not making a firm judgment either way on my results of a month of carnivore eating, because I've had a wacky month in terms of insomnia and crazy hours at work. But let's just say, the "magic" is smoke and mirrors.)

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Nov-26-09 at 10:00.
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-09, 10:16

Woa everyone! Sorry I did not mean to put down carnivores or say it isn't good. My question isn't whether carnivorism is bad or good, my question is why doesn't it work for me physiologically. Theoretically a ketogenic diet seems best based on my reading. I just wanted to hear other people's experiences.

Carnivores don't annoy me, DH is one. What I was saying was that it annoys me when you say on the forums that something isn't working the way you want it to and someone pipes in with "eat meat, drink water, if that doesn't work for you, you are a carb addict"

Last edited by AimeeJoi : Fri, Nov-27-09 at 10:47.
  #84   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-09, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwhisky
I don't think you really do want to know. I think your mind is set since you repeatedly post the same thing about how you're not able to do it while ignoring everyone who simply say it works for them ok. If it doesn't work for you just walk on by, do what works for you.

Meatwhisky,

I started this thread to hear from everyone, carnivores and those who don't tolerate it. I am perfectly able to accept that it works for you and many others. I don't think you really understand what I do want to know. Why can't I start a thread to hear about people who have similar experiences as I do? It seems like you are very defensive about everything I say because I don't have the same carni experience you do. If this thread is upsetting you maybe you should just walk on by.
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-09, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
AimeeJoi - It sounds like your mind was made up before you started this thread. I don't say that in defense of my own eating because I agree with you on a lot of points. I haven't had anything particularly positive out of carnivorous eating other than convenience (not having to track on fitday), lack of cravings, and a happy gut which I credit to consuming very little fiber or gluten - not necessarily the low carb level. I've had the negative side effect of being really run-down. A lot of days, I could hardly lift my arms long enough to wash my hair, or be winded getting up the stairs. That's not a good trade-off, IMO.*

...but (putting on the mod hat here) threads that are intended for "plan wars" or complaining about the actions/attitudes of other members aren't kosher here. The War Zone, sometimes; but not in the support areas.

*(FWIW, I'm not making a firm judgment either way on my results of a month of carnivore eating, because I've had a wacky month in terms of insomnia and crazy hours at work. But let's just say, the "magic" is smoke and mirrors.)

I probably do have my mind made up about not being a good candidate for carnivorous eating. I still am very interested in people's experiences though and hope the discussion can continue.
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-09, 13:27

Plan: ZC
Stats: 140/155/155 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You only did carnivore for 1 month. You can't say conclusively that it just doesn't work. I had a rough time the first 2 months too, I just toughed it out and took my HCl and now I feel better than before I started. It's a radical change, there is going to be some radical changes in your body that may not agree with you at first.

I became ZC not to feel superior, I was lead this way because I couldn't simply eat an apple or even berries if I craved sweet, my gut would be a mess and I would feel terrible. The problem was, I didn't stop craving sweets until I eliminated all carbs including the veggies. I was so addicted to sweets that I would binge on berries, knowing full well what would happen if I did. It was pathetic.
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-09, 14:07

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

i had never heard of zc or really knew anything about it until recently. but i realized that when i would do atkins, i was actually doing zc. i've always hated fruits and veggies and avoided them at all costs. unfortunately, i'd also feel terribly guilty about not eating them because i was sure it was necessary for good health. but what i realized was, not only was i losing weight eating just meat, i also lost the cravings and more importantly felt great! so for me it really works.

i know some zc'ers feel fruits and veggies are bad, i'm not sure i'd go that far but i'm glad i can continue to eat my way without feeling guilty or worrying about not getting the greens.
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-09, 14:34
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

well, i feel superior eating as a Carnivore.
i was inferior before eating as a Carnivore and had more ailments than doctors had patients...

so yeah, eating as a Carnivore has superior benefits.
it heals the body and makes the body nearly invincible.
so yeah, if you want to call it cocky.... by all means, do!
after you've healed a hip that needed to be replaced, or gums that were needing oral surgery and about $20K in work...
or riddled in arthritis, or fat because you couldn't lose weight on Atkins....
yeah, call me cocky.
i call it HEALED.

whatever.......
i am a superior human being because i've eliminated all the chit that ages me prematurely...
and for that, I am cocky!!!!!!
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-09, 15:50

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
His idea of carby food is an apple or banana btw. I just can't justify resisting an urge to eat an apple or some butternut squash. How can those things be bad?

That's carby food to me too. I'm not 100% carnivore but I make a strong distinction between fruits and vegetables, and between fructose and starch. You can get most of the ingredients in an apple or banana by mixing table sugar with a vitamin pill and a fiber supplement. Apples were one of the first foods I gave up, right around the same time I gave up oats. They give me diarrhea and I tend to get lightheaded and crazy when I eat them. Bananas cause intense stomach pain. Even compared to other fruits, I think of these things as very bad. In addition to all that, bananas will never be local seasonal foods where I live, so I consider them unsustainable from an environmental point of view.

I don't think squash is so innocent, either. It's one of the "three sisters," the staples of agricultural societies in pre-colonial America. The last time I had squash it was the low-carb favorite spaghetti squash, over a year ago. It messed up my digestion so bad I'm not sure I've recovered yet.

I still eat sauerkraut and lemon juice, and I don't think they do me any harm. I've even considered eating potatoes, and occasionally I have a taste of blueberries or cranberries. But I will never touch apples or bananas again.
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-09, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesg
You only did carnivore for 1 month. You can't say conclusively that it just doesn't work. I had a rough time the first 2 months too, I just toughed it out and took my HCl and now I feel better than before I started. It's a radical change, there is going to be some radical changes in your body that may not agree with you at first.

I became ZC not to feel superior, I was lead this way because I couldn't simply eat an apple or even berries if I craved sweet, my gut would be a mess and I would feel terrible. The problem was, I didn't stop craving sweets until I eliminated all carbs including the veggies. I was so addicted to sweets that I would binge on berries, knowing full well what would happen if I did. It was pathetic.

Hmm so it took you 2 months to feel good? What convinced you to stick with it during the hard parts where you felt bad? Was there ever a time you thought that it was making your symptoms worse and you wanted to quit? How did you push through and not give up?

I also have some bad digestive issues, mostly slow transit constipation and low stomach acid. So now that you are totally adapted to meat do you no longer supplement with HCl. I struggle so much to find a way to get good digestion. I don't necessarily think fruits and vegs help me much but I know they make me less sick on a daily basis.

Also, do you eat any dairy (heavy cream, butter) or are you pure paleo? I always have trouble giving up dairy when i try vlc because it seems like there isnt enough variety in textures in the food, but maybe for it to work I need to do that

Last edited by AimeeJoi : Fri, Nov-27-09 at 17:34.