Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Nov-15-09, 11:40

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
It doesn't sound like she's a carnivore, she just went paleo.

Yes, you're correct, but Seejay mentioned her in response to AimeeJoi's question: Has anyone lost any weight just by eliminating all non-paleo foods and not restricting carbs?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Nov-15-09, 12:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh! Sorry, I lost the chain of responses in my head.

To me, carnivore would only be something I'd do as a last resort. Maybe if I hated veggies I would, but I lurv them.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Nov-15-09, 12:24

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
Wow, Seejay! Her name is Diana and I just read her story HERE. What an amazing transformation!
Yah that's the one! thanks for the link. this time I'll keep it.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Nov-15-09, 12:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/249/165 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
To me, carnivore would only be something I'd do as a last resort. Maybe if I hated veggies I would, but I lurv them.

Same here, and my body really seems to appreciate the 20 or 30 grams of fiber a day I get from fruit and veggies. Not poo-pooing the carnivore diet of course, just doing what works best for me. Also I've just got one kidney and my doc doesn't want me to eat massive amounts of protein.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Nov-15-09, 13:16

Stats: 175/125/115 Female 5'
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 83%

I find that mostly carnivore for me, I still have hwc and coffee, coke zero, and occasional pieces of 85% dark chocolate. I have been known to eat asparagus in the past year that I have been 99% carnivore.

The joint aches I was having are gone, acid reflux is gone unless I eat something with too many cabs. My skin is much much improved in color and texture. Much younger looking. Fruits and veggies make me bloated. I dropped grains about 2 years ago.

Plus I don't obsess about food anymore. No counting carbs or weighing. Just eat fatty meat and I am happy. It is very freeing.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Nov-15-09, 22:06
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
It seems like maybe a lot of people do a mixture of atkins plus paleo, is this where this thinking comes from?

Has anyone lost any weight just by eliminating all non-paleo foods and not restricting carbs?

Yes, and no.

Yes to your first idea - combining Atkins with Paleo totally works. Another way of doing this would be to follow Protein Power Life Plan's "Purist" variation.

As to your question - I lost a lot of weight eliminating most of the non-Paleo foods, but I restrict carbs as well.

Carnivore does not work for me though. I'm not sure why, it's just how things turned out. Lots of vegetables, meat, fish, eggs and minor amounts (mostly summertime) of in-season fruit is what seems to work best for me.

Last edited by Citruskiss : Sun, Nov-15-09 at 22:15.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 07:20

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

I have severe insulin resistance - so bad in fact that my official test readings from my doc were "oh wow, your levels are through the roof" LOL!

I tried Paleo as I love the idea of it and think it is a truly healthy diet but it just doesn't control my insulin well enough. I also love fruit but don't really care for veggies, so you can see where I get into trouble.

On the other hand, I adore meat and during my many dieting experiments I would often say that I would just eat meat if it were healthy.

Voila...turns out it is
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 07:48

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Ok good, it seems some of you guys do eat quite a few plant foods. Sometimes it gets overwhelming for me to read the forums because there are a bunch of people who do so well on meat only and there are others who want to be meat only but struggle and feel bad when they eat an apple, whereas I struggle to eat enough meat

I always feel heavy and yucky eating too much meat and I never experience blood sugar swings and tiredness from fruit sugar the way DH does and others on here seem to. I know my digestion is SLOW so maybe that's why. So basically I'm going to do a paleo that is more like raw vegan minus the vegan thing. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies + a little meat and fish and no grains, dairy, processed sugar or tubers.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 07:59

Stats: 175/125/115 Female 5'
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
Ok good, it seems some of you guys do eat quite a few plant foods. Sometimes it gets overwhelming for me to read the forums because there are a bunch of people who do so well on meat only and there are others who want to be meat only but struggle and feel bad when they eat an apple, whereas I struggle to eat enough meat

I always feel heavy and yucky eating too much meat and I never experience blood sugar swings and tiredness from fruit sugar the way DH does and others on here seem to. I know my digestion is SLOW so maybe that's why. So basically I'm going to do a paleo that is more like raw vegan minus the vegan thing. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies + a little meat and fish and no grains, dairy, processed sugar or tubers.

It is possible that you are eating lean meat that is too lean. You can eat a lot of lean meat and not feel full but it can make you feel lethargic. Humans need saturated fat from fatty meat. You eat a fraction of the protein when you eat fatty meat but you get full before you feel that heavy feeling.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 09:17

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I don't give a rat's behind about what Kitavans or Inuit ate. They didn't trash their gut with high-fructose corn syrup and gluten like I did for the first 25 years of my life, so all bets are off. For the same reason, I don't trust an unsupplemented meat and water diet to have sufficient nutrients for people like me with dubious absorption. It's all a big experiment. That's fine, but I won't be arguing that it's superior.

That's pretty much where I'm at too.

Quote:
So I've been sticking with "condiment" veggies: onions and celery for cooking, whatever trace veggies are in my curry paste, etc. (Yes, I know there are peppers in it...)

That's it: vegetables are condiments. A little salad on my hamburger, a little sauerkraut on my porkchop, salt and pepper on my steak, a squeeze of lemon in my chicken-fat mayonnaise. That pretty much covers it. Even stuff I used to be all right with like broccoli seems to mess up my stomach now.

I can relate to how hard it is to give up nightshades completely. I was never convinced that I had to go to zero with them like I did with gluten, but I eventually did it anyway. When I learned that Szechuan peppercorns were used to make Asian food spicy before Columbus introduced chili peppers to the world, I started using them instead. My last big breakthrough was giving up onions and garlic. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a good kimchi without any of the above.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 09:31

I sometimes wonder if there are plant foods I skipped over that would actually be fine for me. I only gave up potato chips because I was transitioning from gluten-free/dairy-free to Atkins - they never seemed to cause a problem for me like grains did. I've had a few root-vegetable experiments (turnip, parsnip, rutabaga) and they didn't seem to do me any noticeable harm. On the other hand, I didn't really like them enough to make it worth experimenting further.

Quote:

That's the funny thing. I never expected to hate veggies. I was always the "good kid" who appreciated his vegetables. I used to think I liked eggplants and spinach and things like that. But as soon as I decided they weren't good for me, I realized I was just fooling myself because that's how my parents taught me to eat. Those things are bitter and nasty! There were eggplant and spinach dishes that I liked, but they were loaded with salt and fat and cheese and hot peppers and garlic. THAT was what I liked! But now, even stuff like hot peppers and garlic have lost their appeal. I tasted some garlicky sausage recently and it was like someone had thrown a load of stinking garbage into my meat and ruined it.

I still wish I could eat asparagus, brussels sprouts and broccoli, but to be honest, last time I snuck a taste of brussels sprouts, I was put off by the bitterness.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 09:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've been looking for sichuan peppercorns, I have a dish that needs them!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 09:58

If you really can't find them, I'd recommend using green peppercorns - or even black peppercorns. They're not all that different.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 11:05

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I was put off by the bitterness.
This is me. I found out I'm a supertaster and that's part of it.

Another part is how they're grown and shipped. I can grow green veg in my yard and with the proper soil nutrition and picking them at their peak, it's like a whole new world.

Brussels sprouts for example are much better after a frost or two.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 13:20

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I guess you could call me a lacto-carnivore. I eat vegetables in small quantity mostly when I eat at other people's houses or at restaurants. My body seems to tolerate them well enough. I don't see a reason why they are required though, at least among those who eat "the whole animal". If I ate nothing but animal (no milk) then I would be very dilegent about cooking the bones, since I would be worried about calcium and magnesium deficiencies otherwise.

But I never worry about antioxidants. If phyto-antioxidants are so necessary then where are the studies that show that vegetables promote health? The body makes it's own antioxidants if supplied the right materials, the most important of which is selenium, which is plenty abundant in animal foods anyway. Actually if you must take an antioxidant supplement that is the one I would recommend. I used to take it when I smoked, since smoking depletes selenium so much.