Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:43

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Have you tried "beef and water only" for 6 months non stop without any cheats whatsoever? I know that it's not fun, but that would more than probably work.

Patrick

Seriously, beef and water is just not the answer. Plus, unless you plan to do this FOREVER (and I'd rather hang myself from the tallest tree), what would happen when you add carbs back in in the form of fruits and veggies. Your body will have then become SOOOO sensitive to carbs, you'd gain weight immediately. To those people who swear by living on beef and water, I'd like to see you in 10 years tell me you are still only eating that.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:44

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75
Exactly, why keep fighting your body?? Why do you continue to try lower, lowering more, lowest carb intake when that may not be what you are needing to do. I'm not fighting my body at all and I nourish it properly with delicious whole foods.

And yes, there are people who maintain with WW, and there are many on this forum who are maintaining (happily I might add) while eating these so called toxic levels of carbs from fruits and veggies.

Oh I stopped fighting my body. I am now "beef and water only". My mind is still not ready to accept this for the rest of my life, but I'm simply too insulin resistant to handle any carbs. As soon as I am passed losing water weight, I will start updating my weight loss ticker. It's going to change very often.

I guess that people maintaining on moderate carbs or even WW are either not too insulin resistant or simply willing to deal with counting the quantity of food they eat everyday and maintaining an artificial caloric deficit until they pass on. It's certainly not for me.

Patrick
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
That's pure speculation and gratuitous fear mongering.

Gary Taubes, Good Calories Bad Calories. I forget which page at the moment.

Fear mongering again.

Speculation and fear mongering is knowledge now?

Fear Mongering? No, telling me that I'm feeding myself toxic levels of carbs is more fear mongering than anything. Btw: I reached my goal eating this way and feel great. Telling me I eat toxic levels of anything is speculation and fear mongering.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:47

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
What about the numerous people who have made it to goal and maintained under the principles that the article describes? What do you have to say about that? Instead of trying to shred the article to pieces because it goes against what YOU think , take a looks at the human results, like myself.

Hold on. Either we consider weight loss and maintenance, or we consider the whole health picture.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:47

BF:

Quote:
Oh I stopped fighting my body. I am now "beef and water only".
Patrick

Yeah, that's what you're doing this week. Patrick, you have switched plans this year numerous times, each time swearing by the principles of that paticular plan. This week, it's beef and water only.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:48

BF:

Quote:
Hold on. Either we consider weight loss and maintenance, or we consider the whole health picture.

I'm very healthy, what's your point?
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:51

BF:

Quote:
Seriously, beef and water is just not the answer. Plus, unless you plan to do this FOREVER (and I'd rather hang myself from the tallest tree), what would happen when you add carbs back in in the form of fruits and veggies. Your body will have then become SOOOO sensitive to carbs, you'd gain weight immediately. To those people who swear by living on beef and water, I'd like to see you in 10 years tell me you are still only eating that.

My body is already too sensitive to carbs and it's always been this way for me. I was a fat kid!

I think I would prefer eating ZC or, when I have reached my goal, extremely VLC forever while being satiated than counting my calories forever and be hungry and miserable forever just so I can eat some carbs.

Patrick

Last edited by Valtor : Tue, Oct-06-09 at 06:53. Reason: spelling
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:52

BF:

Quote:
Fear Mongering? No, telling me that I'm feeding myself toxic levels of carbs is more fear mongering than anything. Btw: I reached my goal eating this way and feel great. Telling me I eat toxic levels of anything is speculation and fear mongering.

I give up. Go read the books. Start with Gary Taubes, Good Calories Bad Calories. Then Not By Bread Alone, by Vilhjalmur Stefansson. Then finish off with Weston Price, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:52

BF:

Quote:
Yeah, that's what you're doing this week. Patrick, you have switched plans this year numerous times, each time swearing by the principles of that paticular plan. This week, it's beef and water only.

True!

I hope I'll be able to stick to this one, because I believe it's to only solution for me.

Patrick
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:53

BF:

Quote:
I'm very healthy, what's your point?

Are you trying to make a case that your personal experience should apply to everybody else?
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:54

BF:

Quote:
I give up. Go read the books. Start with Gary Taubes, Good Calories Bad Calories. Then Not By Bread Alone, by Vilhjalmur Stefansson. Then finish off with Weston Price, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.

I've read GCBC along with many other books (take a look at my profile for the list of books I've read).

I just don't know how you can argue with success and I'm a picture of success, as are many others on this board who eat the so-called toxic level of carbs. It goes against what you think, but that doesn't make it any less real.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:55

BF:

Quote:
True!

I hope I'll be able to stick to this one, because I believe it's to only solution for me.

Patrick

And I truly hope you reach your goal as I've followed you for a while now, I just don't think this beef and water is it for you. Time will tell.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:56

BF:

Quote:
Are you trying to make a case that your personal experience should apply to everybody else?

No more than you are.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 06:57

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Have you tried "beef and water only" for 6 months non stop without any cheats whatsoever?

No. I think a muscle meat only diet does not provide sufficient micronutrients. All societies that thrive on meat and fat only diets eat everything from the eyeballs to the ...other end and the offal provide a lot of necessary nutrients. I don't have access to an all organic free range completely natural source of offal.

I have tried meat only. I feel completely wretched after a week. More importantly, I was completely unable to maintain a stable blood sugar level and started being dangerously unable to function. You can tell my I didn't hold out long enough if you wish, but I'm afraid I'll have to scoff. There is evidence that diabetics on vlc and high protein need a lot more insulin than they do on moderate carbs. I'm sorry, I don't remember where I left those citations. They're in my journal somewhere. I conclude that one of the things broken in my system is the ability to properly regulate gluconeogenesis.

Also, too much beef raises my blood pressure. So not a good choice for my body.

Quote:
Are you familiar with adrenal fatigue? Is that something you have looked into as well? Schwarzbein is well worth reading on the subject.

Read her work and looked into it. At the moment I'm having a lot of luck with avoiding a truly absurd list of food sensitivities. Once my body cycles down from the stress of those, I'll work on whatever the next issue turns out to be.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 07:12
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%

'...perhaps we are eating larger portions of lower carb foods than we realize,...'
I have been thinking a lot about this. When I first when on the Atkins diet, years ago, I was impressed that I could eat a nice big steak and not worry about the portion size (you can never do that when you are counting calories).
For awhile, ignoring portion size works. It's hard to eat a LOT of meat when all you ever eat is protein - but it's easy to eat a half loaf of bread (toasted, with butter!); this is the beauty of low-carbing for me. But at some point, portion size does matter, even with meat.