Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 10:39

Plan: my own
Stats: 225/208/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Wow, I just had the thickest creamiest shake ever!

I heard a few folks recommend substituting Almond Breeze for the water (I know I saw Mary Dan mention it on the blog, but it might have been around here too). Unbelievable.

Also added frozen strawberries - our first berries - I know they said we could have some the first two weeks, but we haven't had any.

Man! Yummy

BTW - facts for the unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze:
calories 40: Fat 3g; Carb 2g (1g fiber); Protein 1g
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-09, 12:20

BF:

Just reporting in on a shake related thing:

Tried the Jay Robb Egg White Protein - instead of the Whey Protein today. The girl at the counter said she didn't like it as much - "it's even blander" she said. I like the JR stuff because it's stevia sweetened, unlike most of the other brands, so I was not worried.

But we had it this morning - and it *was* a little - I don't know - salty? bitter? maybe it was salty. It was harder to drink.

I haven't found anything that says that egg is better than whey - just thought it might be good to switch it up a little since whey is really sort of dairy and egg is egg.

We were losing weight on whey, so we'll be switching back to that - just for taste.

BTW, someone asked about where to get Jay Robb protein cheaper? I don't know - two of my local vitamin/nutrition stores have sales on the 24oz size for $33 or $34 . Whole Foods had the same size for $45.

I saw online that there is an 80 oz size, but I haven't seen any big sales on that one. If I can even find it for an equivalent price of the 24oz, I'll definitely buy it. I'm already tired of going to the store all the time.

Sarah
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-09, 15:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I find the egg protein makes a much thinner shake so I have to compensate by adding more xanthan gum. But you're right, it isn't as good. Actually, I probably won't buy more. I'll just start using raw eggs!
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 17:00
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

My favorite shake is made with plain unsweetened protein powder, coconut extract, and about 2 T of finely ground unsweetened coconut (from Tropical Traditions).

The coconut adds about 100 calories and 2 g carbs to the shake, so I limit how often I do this, but it's a nice treat every day or so.

Last edited by CarolynC : Fri, Sep-25-09 at 17:08.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-09, 13:56

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I just went to the HFS and bought a bunch of individual packets of non-whey protein. I'm drinking rice protein right now: horrible, horrible, horrible. It's a slurry of chalk and sand and cardboard. The packet says it's vanilla flavored. That's a lie.

I tried to use up some of the old whey protein from my cupboard, not having had dairy products since February. I was okay at first, but as the days passed I got back a bunch of old symptoms that had gone away: itchy skin; mucous in my nose, throat and lungs; headaches, and depression. It just isn't worth it.

By the way, I used up several free samples of Syntrax Nectar (fruit-flavored whey protein). Has anyone tried that stuff? It is delicious! It doesn't taste like a milkshake at all. It tastes like fruit smoothies. If you can tolerate whey, I highly recommend it.

Having tasted Syntrax Nectar, I think the key to flavoring these things may be to use a fruit flavor and a lot of citric acid powder.

Last edited by bike2work : Sat, Sep-26-09 at 14:04.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-09, 14:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I find the egg protein makes a much thinner shake so I have to compensate by adding more xanthan gum. But you're right, it isn't as good. Actually, I probably won't buy more. I'll just start using raw eggs!

You're going to drink glasses of raw eggs? Let me know how that works out. I might need to follow suit, though the idea doesn't appeal to me.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-09, 19:58
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
You're going to drink glasses of raw eggs? Let me know how that works out. I might need to follow suit, though the idea doesn't appeal to me.

You won't have any notion there's raw eggs in it. They get beat into tiny, undetectable bits and mixed nicely with the water, coconut milk, syrup and so on.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-09, 15:16
Experimenter

BF:

Banana Cream Pie!

Banana and vanilla extract, liquid splenda, plenty of xanthan gum to make it nice and thick.

Yum!
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-09, 18:10

BF:

Your banana cream pie shake almost makes me want another shake, Nancy. I love banana cream pie!

But I am so un-hungry. Knowing I would start this morning, I ate a bunch of peanuts last night -- sort of like when you were in junior high and binged the night before starting a diet. It was probably 1/2 - 3/4 cup of plain peanuts. Stupid, huh?

Powdered egg white shakes aren't nearly as scary as I thought they would be. I kept thinking of that scene from Rocky. Instead, it's more like meringue. This might turn out to be better for fruit flavors than whey anyway. It made a better decaf coffee shake this morning than I've made with whey because it was more intense, not milky.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-09, 22:55

BF:

our go to flavor is now consistently:
dark cocoa + chocolate protein powder + decaf coffee crystals + kahlua sugar free syrup
(we haven't had the kahlua lately, but it's still good just not as sweet )

At first I was making it with brewed decaf coffee substituting for the water - but the crystals make a stronger taste.

Sarah
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Sep-30-09, 08:08
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
But I am so un-hungry. Knowing I would start this morning, I ate a bunch of peanuts last night -- sort of like when you were in junior high and binged the night before starting a diet. It was probably 1/2 - 3/4 cup of plain peanuts. Stupid, huh?

Jr. High? Honey, I'm 50 and I still do that stuff.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Sep-30-09, 09:41
Experimenter

BF:

Best one yet!

Tangerine diet rite soda
Orange syrup
Vanilla syrup
Well thickened with xanthan gum

Then I drank a little out of the cup and added more soda so it bubbled up. YUM!!
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 11:03

BF:

We love the tangerine diet rite soda with just the vanilla protein powder. It's one of the top 3 flavors for us too.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 14:17

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSarah
We love the tangerine diet rite soda with just the vanilla protein powder. It's one of the top 3 flavors for us too.

I've never seen tangerine diet rite soda, wow - sound cool. Clearly I have not tried it - but I did love my shake make with vanilla protein powder, DaVinci orange syrup and some pure orange extract. My second fave is chocolate protein powder, a little cocoa, and DaVinci Peppermint Paddy syrup - a chocolate/peppermint flavored syrup as opposed to only peppermint. I'm trying to hang in with the all-meat right now so my shake experiments.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 16:00

BF:

The last one was pretty good:

coconut syrup
butter rum syrup
plain, unsweetened egg white protein (which is naturally a little salty and enhanced the butter flavor)

Debbie, how's that DV orange syrup? Does it have any sourness or is it just like orange rind?