Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 18:27

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
There can be a constipation factor when switching to all meat and eggs or VLC -- especially if insufficient FAT is consumed along with the meats. This can account for a substantial weight gain if it becomes chronic. Also I think we need to consume some organ meats and fish weekly.

An alternative, at last! So, she didn't eat enough fat and gained weight because of constipation. That would fix itself after a while unless there was something else going on.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-09, 05:53

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I don't know anybody in offline life who makes stock out of anything except (and this is rare) a turkey carcass.

Then again, in all fairness, I only know a few folks who cook at all and all of them are older. All the people I know with kids my kid's age, cook maybe a couple different things (say, tacos, hamburgers, fried chicken) and everything else they eat is frozen, canned, boxed or window'd.

That's what I was hoping to find, thanks -- which bones to ask for. Also in a previous post Matt said 'soup bones' -- that helps too, and makes me feel a little less idiot asking for them since that sounds so reasonable. I have never SEEN a 'soup bone' in a store. You know, like in a package. I wonder why.

Um. You just stick them in the oven? (Sorry, I'm still a cooking retard. I'm learning though.) Do you put them IN anything? Add water or something? For how long, at what heat?

Well I am not real worried about losing all the vitamin A or whatever; I have other sources for most of its nutrients. But the natural contents (like collagen/gelatin/marrow) I seriously doubt are "going anywhere" from that pot and those are the things I'm aiming to add.

I don't mind crockpotting or long-simmering things, except to be honest, I have this thing about smell=food. When I was young I worked in retail food for a few years and I had such a problem eating at all because after smelling food all day my body had zero interest in eating it. I find I still have that result if I have to smell something for more than a couple of hours. So I like the pressure cooker idea although it seems a lot of babysitting to use one for a whole hour. I have only used my pressure cooker once so far (it is a good one though, but stovetop not electric) but I was a bit imperfect with the regulation of it. (I must have been expecting disaster--I am the Smoke Alarm Cook at the best of times--because when it suddenly leaped into a major steam-venting at one point I nearly had a heart attack!)

The other thing about a pressure cooker is that it can REALLY cook the stuffing out of bones, sez the various writings, can literally cook bones to totally soft in a pretty short time, so I figure PC probably gets a lot more of the 'stuff from bones' that people actually want for stock.

I cook for my family because it's cheaper to cook as long as I utilize our leftovers. During my husband's and my student days, we used to make a chicken last three days -- a big part of this was cooking down the bones so we could have various stews for a couple of days.

I don't roast bones of meat that is already cooked. But I always ask for dog bones when I get a side of beef --those I roast first. Well, I do give a few to my dog as well. I've managed to put her hip dysplasia into remission with a grain-free diet. Pork bones really don't need roasting first. Lamb bones are better roasted. Something to do with red meat, I suppose. Roasting just makes for a more intense flavor. I also save and freeze pork chop bones, steak bones, etc. They're not very flavorful on their own, but I figure they have to have something left in them so they get cooked down as well when making a batch.

I boil ducks before roasting them, and I use that water when I cook down the carcass.

And you're right, the geletin doesn't go away with pressure cooking -- my stocks always gel up very nicely when cold. I never really thought of the health benefits of making my own stocks and broths -- I just can never stand to throw away bones. Plus I hate the flavor of premade stocks and bullion.

I can't bring myself to eat tongue either, and even grinding up heart for my dog gives me the "icks," but pigs feet (fresh, not pickleds) have always been a real treat for me. I cook them in sauerkraut, but you could just make a regular stock out of them as well. They make for a very rich stock. If you cook them under pressure, by the time your stock is finished, the bones should have fallen apart enough that hopefully they won't be too recognizable. Plus, there's nothing like something seriously tasty to rid you of your adversion.

To get back on topic, since raising my carbs, I have found that I need to lower calories. HOWEVER, I'm doing this by eating until satisfied, not by starving myself. I am gaining a new awareness of how much I actually overeat. Eating until stuffed is very much a norm for me. I have found that eating until full keeps me full just as long. But it's a hard habit to break. I probably still have about 1800 calories a day, and I'm still what would be considered low carb, but I eat maybe 25-75 carbs a day instead of 10g. Potatoes and winter squash are in season, and I am enjoying them. Once the potatoes are out of season (so I no longer get them from my CSA) they'll be out of my diet. Potatoes roasted in lard are this side of heaven, however.

Edit to add: For beef and lamb, I toss the raw bones in a 375 oven for about a half hour; when they start to smell good, I take them out and toss them in my pressure cooker with water. What you can do is put water in the pan, heat it up, scrape up any bits that ooze out in that half hour, and pour that in the pressure cooker as well.

Last edited by tiredangel : Sat, Sep-19-09 at 09:27.
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-09, 06:57

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
...To get back on topic, since raising my carbs, I have found that I need to lower calories. HOWEVER, I'm doing this by eating until satisfied, not by starving myself. I am gaining a new awareness of how much I actually overeat. Eating until stuffed is very much a norm for me. I have found that eating until full keeps me full just as long. But it's a hard habit to break...

Eating until satisfied is the goal.

All weight loss that is induced by eating less then what you are hungry for is temporary. The same is true if you lose weight by doing strenuous exercise while you do not feel the need to spend yourself.

I would not worry about calories at all. It's not a very useful tool if you are looking for permanent weight loss. If you do not lose weight, because you are always hungry, this means that you're missing some nutrient or maybe there is some food intolerance or just digestion problems. Once you have found what is deregulating your homeostasis, your appetite will diminish. Your appetite is your best indicator for this.

Patrick
  #94   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-09, 09:37

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Eating until satisfied is the goal.

All weight loss that is induced by eating less then what you are hungry for is temporary. The same is true if you lose weight by doing strenuous exercise while you do not feel the need to spend yourself.

I would not worry about calories at all. It's not a very useful tool if you are looking for permanent weight loss. If you do not lose weight, because you are always hungry, this means that you're missing some nutrient or maybe there is some food intolerance or just digestion problems. Once you have found what is deregulating your homeostasis, your appetite will diminish. Your appetite is your best indicator for this.

Patrick

You know, I'm not quite sure about this. One thing I do is I don't eat between 7pm and 10am. Usually the fasting window is longer than this as well. When I first started doing this, I was STARVING. I was just used to eating late at night and early morning. After a couple of weeks, I quit being hungry at night. I'm still hungry in the morning, but nothing that even distracts me, just a bit of an empty feeling.

Now I'm down to 2 - 3 meals a day. It was so hard to get to this point, but now that my body adjusted to not having food incoming all the time, I don't feel the need to graze. And the better part of it is when it's meal time, I am HUNGRY and the food tastes so good. Of course, that is leading to me eating until stuffed instead of satisfied So what I'm doing now is after clearing my plate the first time, I sit and ask myself if I am still hungry. Usually, the answer is no. Of course, dinner is usually a heavy soup, a meat, a veggie, and lately a potato, sweet potato, or winter squash. Even with just one serving, that's a lot of food.
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-09, 11:09

BF:

It's a very good idea to wait 20 minutes after eating. Just to let the food register. If rou're still hungry after that or in between meal, you should really eat. Otherwise, that is how your metabolism slows down.

Patrick
  #96   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 10:10

BF:

Interesting find here.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/glycemia.shtml
Quote:
The bulk of the age-related tissue damage classified as “glycation end-products” (or “advanced glycation end-products,” AGE) is produced by decomposition of the polyunsaturated fats, rather than by sugars, and this would be minimized by the protective oxidation of glucose to carbon dioxide.

Patrick
  #97   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 22:55
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.

Stuff that affects hormones/the endocrine system was brought up here earlier. This is a very controversial link, but the first two posts are very interesting. Basically it is about the suspected impact of endocrine disruptors of various sorts on males (of all species). Of course these things mess up females too but some of them are worse for the male gender. This is 'food for thought' about hormonal effects on health too I suppose.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread502824/pg1
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 23:09
LUST For The Moment

Plan: LC/VLC
Stats: 167/139/137 Female 5'7"
BF:5'7"
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOPS
my diet (meat, tons of fat, nuts, veg etc) but he eats potatoes and rice in addition. Maybe I should try that, seeing as I've gained 7 kilos on low-carb so far. The gain started when I went VLC for a period of time. Now I'm stuck in 'low-carb-gone-horribly-wrong-land).

Loops, perhaps your problem does NOT involve carbohydrate intake. If you gained 7 kilos on LC ( 20 carb grams or less daily), you may be taking in too many calories with your fat and nuts. Yes, calories DO count, even on a LC/VLC regimen.

Good Luck,
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-09, 07:14

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

which is sad, because I'm not stuffing myself - just eating to appetite. And isn't that the whole point of low-carbing anyway? That the body sorts itself out and the appetite is normalized? If your theory about calories is correct, it means nobody can lose without in the end wrecking their metabolism - which is what I believe happens if you are taking in few calories over the long-term.

I'm not one of those that eats the entire bag of almonds or whatever. I don't have issues with any foods that are allowed in terms of bingeing.

Depressing. So low-carb is just another scam then - eat all you want of allowed foods - because that is what most people preach. If it doesn't even work like that then what's the point?

I guess it won't work for me then, because I'm not going back to restricting food ever again. It is self-defeating in the long run.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-09, 07:23

BF:

If you force a reduction in calorie intake, your weight loss will only be temporary. If you want permanent weight loss, you have to find the cause and correct the issue.

Patrick
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-09, 07:32

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Yeah, exactly. Been looking for that for a loooong time now. That is why I'm following with interest the HEDers. Plus, the thing with me is that I actually like the way I eat. I have good skin most of the time (until I start eating too many vegetables), not constantly thinking of what I can eat etc. High carb high fat scares the crap out of me though - even if it is rice and potatoes.
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-09, 08:03

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
If you want permanent weight loss, you have to find the cause and correct the issue.

That's easy enough to *say* isn't it? And how many people find it? I've been looking for the cause for at least 25 years now and just keep getting fatter and fatter!
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-09, 08:04

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOPS
Depressing. So low-carb is just another scam then - eat all you want of allowed foods - because that is what most people preach. If it doesn't even work like that then what's the point?

Yeah, I hear you. I'm feeling sort of like that myself today.
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-09, 08:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
That's easy enough to *say* isn't it? And how many people find it? I've been looking for the cause for at least 25 years now and just keep getting fatter and fatter!

It's definitely easier said than done! But you should consider that in your case, there may be a strong genetic cause. It is certainly not what you want to hear. But what causes obesity is a deregulated metabolism. And for some people what causes the metabolism to be deregulated can be more genetic than exterior factors.

If our health care practitioners knew that it was not about calories, then we would probably already have a way of helping people where it's more a genetic issue. As it is, it will take 10 or 20 years before we reach this point.

In the mean time, it is possible that you can only treat the symptoms. Probably that you tried everything under the sun? Some of them probably had a temporary effect on weight loss. Like, you may have tried a big calorie deficit and did lose weight, but felt absolutely terrible? This would all be typical.

Have you ever given a "beef and water" diet a real good shot (couple months)? In your case, it could be the only way to permanently treat the symptoms, because there may be no other way to do it with diet alone. I know I would hate to have to resort to this for the rest of my life, but I think I would do it if nothing else worked.

What you really need is a really good endocrinologist that is aware of the real honest to god science and is affordable. He could work with you to try different drugs related to hormones and one of them might truly correct your issue. But we both know this sort of doctor is probably just a dream for now and if one exists I bet he is not affordable.

I'm normally an optimist, but sometimes like this one, it's just depressing. I can really feel your pain. If you were born a couple generations from now, you would probably have been fine.

Patrick
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-09, 11:09

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Merpig, didn't you say that JK's optimal looked like it might work but you really didn't want to, I seem to remember you thought reducing protein would feel crummy?