Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 17:58

Plan: CKD
Stats: 22530/17216/20010
BF:
Progress: 153%
Default CKD with a 7 day a week lifting split??

I have been on the CAD for the last two months and find myself skipping a lot of the "reward" meals. I have made great progress in losing body fat but I am interested in the carb up phase to help make better muscle/strength gains.

My question is, will my workout split work with CKD?

Mon:Chest
Tues: Back
Wed: Shoulders
Thurs: Legs/Lower Back
Fri: Biceps
Sat:Triceps
Sun: Traps

I take many supplements and also a 1/2 serving carb recovery drink right after my workout. I've read many articles saying that this does not inhibit ketosis, any thoughts?

I really enjoy this workout for the time being and would love to know how I could incorporate CKD and the carb load into my program?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 18:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 261/255/210
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Why would you work out 7 days?

Even the most juiced up body builders don't train that often man. I'm new here as well, but what you are doing with the carb recovery drink sounds more like a Targeted Keto Diet.(TKD) I may be wrong. Just remember working out more is not necessarily better. I've done HIT training and been in and out of the gym in 35 minutes. Hey, if it works for you though, keep on doin' it. The seriously high volume stuff only works for me in moderation. Good luck and welcome aboard, and I'm sure if Dan sees your message he will give you much better insight that most of us can.

Gonz
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 22:09

BF:

Yeah it sounds like a lot of training but it really isn't, each body part gets 6 days rest from heavy training but still gets some secondary work throughout the week.
I don't have much time to spend in the Gym but I really enjoy going in every day. If I work out one body part a day, once a week, I can get in and out within 30-45 mins and not worry about over training and I find it much easier to mainly focus on one muscle group a day. I'll do this about a month then go to two weeks of light exercise then back.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 19:32

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default overtraining?

At first look I would say that you are putting yourself into a state of overtraining. I used to train the same way, and after a while I couldn't make gains ... until I started resting.

But each person is different, and whta works for one person may not be what works for the next person ...

But .. to your question ... Running a CKD is more about fat loss than muscle gain. You would train 3 days per week, if you followed typical CKD guidelines.

I found it best to train heavy and hard on Monday, using as many compound moves as you can handle.

On Wednesday, do isolation work on smaller body parts. I like to use supersets on that day.

On Friday, do a full body depletion workout. Then carb-up.

You may experiment and do more weight training during the week, but I tried it, and it's no fun training while you are carb depleted. No strength, no power. No fun.

Training during the carb-up would be counterproductive as it would interfere with glycogen storage.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 15:35

BF:

T-dan, thanks for the help (on all the questions I've been asking). You have given me some ideas to to think about. I'll try a few things and see what gains I make...

I am going to do a full body workout on Fri (right now actually) so that I can take advantage of the of the full body carb carb recover... I just got back from the store and can't wait to start my first carb up.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 22:01

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default carbs!

How'd that carb-up go?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 17:17

BF:

It went pretty well, I really enjoyed the energy I had at the beginning of the week. I guess it's too soon to tell how it's working but my strength seems to be up...