Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 12:27
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/266/199 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hello Phatwoohie!!!!

Welcome to Low Carb and congrats on finally doing something about the weight. I read the All New Atkins Advantage written by Stuart Trager M.D. Its a super book. I haven't read the original Dr. Atkins book, but there are two atkins programs from what i have gathered. One is the 1972 versiona dn one is recent ( someone correct me if i am mistaken) the original i believe was like a 0 carb diet, meat and cheese basically. But this one is 20g a day, including veggies. It's really easy, you don't go hungry, just eat alot of meat, throw in a sald and get your water. Alot of people buy Ketostix from walmart or other pharmacies, they tell you If your body is burning fat (not everyone shows a reading but still are burning it) so its just a little extra encouragment that may help you stick to the diet.

Get your girlfriend on it too, it's soooooo much better and easier if your partner is also doing it, you support each other and when one wants to cheat on food the other can be stron and vice versa.

I didn't have the flu thing that so many people talk about. Maybe because i didn't hear about it until after the fact, i might not have predestined myself to get it lol. Everyones body handles things in a different way. But i have found any diet is really a mind over matter thing. Your mind has to be strong or your body will not follow suit.

I hate to excersise, but you have to do some sort of movement while you are doing this, even if its just stretching a little each day, until you loose enough weight to walk around the living room or across the walmart without hurting, then just add a little bit more when you feel you can.

I found with this LC diet, that you start out as always, HUNGRY!!!! but you don't stay that way, you start eating less and less without even realizing it. I was a big chip junkie. Ate a bag a day sitting at my desk at work. I eat maybe 6 pork rinds once in awhile now and ive only been doing this for like 2 months. (pork rinds are ok to eat by the way, just watch your quantity).

I had the surgery 5 years ago and lost weight fast, but in 5 years i am almost back to the size i started. I did not know how to make the lifestyle change needed to sustain the weight loss. Until atkins, Atkins taught me what i needed to know and why things worked the way it does.

I hope you all the success you goal for and this forum is a great place to come everyday. There's a journal/bootcamp section to keep a journal and the MY P.L.A.N section is an awesome tool to keep track of EVERYTHING you put into your mouth. Its at the top of your screen, next to the log out button.

Take care and see you around the LC forum!!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 12:38

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamee
( someone correct me if i am mistaken)

Yes, you are mistaken. There's more than two versions of Atkins, and while I cannot talk about the '72 diet as I've not read the book, '92 definitely allowed veg even on induction. No veg is a common misconception about Atkins. Dr. Atkins was a smart, brave man, and he didn't need a corporation to correct his plan.

Not trying to sound like I am taking it out on you. Just a pet peeve of mine.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 13:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/266/199 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Thank you for the correction.

Just for the record, i admire Dr. Atkins, and I am certainly glad his wife took back control of her husbands Plan and started up her own based on his plan.

I stay away from the corporation and it's products, I've heard of all the hidden carbs they have in their easy convient bars etc.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 19:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/134.8/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Congrats Phatwoohie on finding a great plan and a great group to support you with your journey back to health. Atkin's is also my personal favorite. I feel my best when I live low-carb. Enjoy your steaks and pork chops knowing you can satisfy your hunger and still watch the pounds melt away. You will start to feel better in a short amount of time, less hungry, less cravings for garbage, MORE ENERGY! Good luck, stop in often!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 21:08

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

Just checking in to see how you are doing. I see you are making lots of friends. Learn to lean on them (us). It makes all of the difference in the world.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-09, 19:24

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamee
Hello Phatwoohie!!!!
One is the 1972 versiona dn one is recent ( someone correct me if i am mistaken) the original i believe was like a 0 carb diet, meat and cheese basically. ...

I found with this LC diet, that you start out as always, HUNGRY!!!! but you don't stay that way, you start eating less and less without even realizing it.

The good thing about LC is you don't have to start out hungry. Eat until you are full.

As for the 1972 version of Atkins ... see here for a summary of the original Atkins (not politically correct but IMO, much better and more effective).

Back to the thread ...

Welcome and good luck Phatwhooie!
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-09, 19:57

Stats: 155/155/125 Female 64 inches 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

You can do this! We will help you all we can. You've gotten some great advice here. I'm new to this low carb stuff, but these people definitely know what they're talking about.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 10:59

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

Congrats! Keep visiting the forum when you need support or ideas. You will do great!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-09, 09:56
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Haven't heard from you for awhile. Hope that things are going okay for you; also wanted to encourage you to stick around even if the food is a struggle. If this was going to be easy, we'd have all been thin by now. I think a lot of us feel ashamed to show our face around here if we're not eating clean--but it doesn't work like that. It takes what it takes.

Also, recognize that the advice that works for people w/smaller amounts to lose is not going to necessarily apply. We have several Supersizers over on triple-digits, and it's clear from their struggles that there is more than a different magnitude of struggle. The advice to limit your calories, for example, while well-meant, may be all wrong for you right now. Severe obesity, I am becoming more and more convinced, looks like a disease of malabsorbtion and under-nourishment. Bodies crying out for protein and other nutrients. You need to eat, and eat healthful foods in abundance. You also need the tools to allow your body to uptake those nutrients.

I imagine that it feels overwhelming to face those numbers, and realize that you're going to be at this for years. Big breakthrough comes when we realize that it's a rest-of-our-lives thing. So we're all in that bag together. But as far as it taking years to take the weight off, here's what's really important. If you start now, in a year, you will have lost a significant and life-changing amount of weight. You will sleep better, breathe better, be able to move around, enjoy life, experience hope. Support can make all the difference, but the only way to make that happen is to get on here and reach out for it.

Hope to see you around.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-09, 18:16

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 196/165/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 55%

kathleen24 really summed up what I was thinking. I can't help on the dietary side as I have no idea what it is like but I will gladly offer encouragement!
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-10, 15:26

Plan: Whole Foods, Mod Carbs
Stats: 292.4/190.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi there!

I just wanted to check in and say hello since you haven't been on the forum in awhile.

Whether you're on plan or not, please drop by and let us know how you're doing.

Everyone here is wonderfully supportive and would love to hear from you!

Wishing you all the best

Last edited by shopjunkie : Mon, Apr-12-10 at 15:53.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-10, 15:48

Stats: 308/257/170 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 37%

Welcome! I am a newbie myself and found the support from this site invaluable. Trust me - "induction flu" is a walk in the park compared to the daily burden of being heavy. Atkins is great! No hunger, no cravings.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-10, 16:19

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

old thread

Last edited by anthonyc : Mon, Apr-12-10 at 16:25.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-10, 17:19

Plan: Whole Foods, Mod Carbs
Stats: 292.4/190.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc
old thread

Yup, I know - that's why I resurrected it.

I'm hoping Phatwoohie will drop by and let us know how he's doing.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-10, 17:27

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 326.8/303.8/195 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi,

I remember writing to you awhile back. How are you doing?

Come by the forum and let us know!