Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 14:15

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

Ok, so I thought I was the only one who has a refridgerator that is all 'fridge and a freezer that is all freezer. My friends think I am nuts but I do like to buy in bulk!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 14:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/127/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlach

We buy our meat fresh each week and try to eat it before freezing it.

Totally. I would MUCH rather have fresh meat. It's not that much more economical to buy a 1/4 or 1/2 cow here, but it sure would be nice to have a stash in a freezer for convenience! Our markets are fun, but no matter how early you get there there's a long line & you might not get what you were after (eggs, butter, ribeyes etc) It's cheaper to buy a whole chicken, but large animals are about the same parts or whole AND you get to pick your cuts.

Also, if we bought a 1/2 cow here we'd be out of ribeyes and living off ground beef in no time! No fun!

My freezer does not hold "stash" of anything - it holds a bag of ice & my pyrex ready-made meals. That's it! I have to be really crafty about rearranging for our ice cream maker. It'd sure be nice to have someplace to stash my summer vegetables and 1/4 cow etc for spur of the moment bbq's.... and especially for lazy weeks in the rainy season (i.e. 10/12 months of the year) when we don't feel like going to the market. Uggggh!

My co-op does sell grass fed/finished meat, but it's not local. It's better than nothing absolutely, but I do like supporting my friendly neighborhood farms.

I am on a Costco membership search... maybe a neighbor? Heh, I don't know anyone who shops there!

Forgot to add my menu today. I'm not feeling especially hungry, but I'm sure I will at dinner!

Breakfast:
Cream in my coffee (I was all dizzy & absolutely NOT hungry... I had to do something!!! )

Lunch:
1 ounce pate
1/2 avocado
2 huge trumpet mushrooms in butter

Dinner:
Delicious Roast Chicken from Stokesberry Farms!

Though I don't ever want to see another radish or a chard, I can't let garden go to waste. Yes, we still have cool crops growing in the PacNW. Joy.

Any creative ideas?

Last edited by I<3splenda : Mon, Jul-20-09 at 14:30.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 14:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla
Ok, so I thought I was the only one who has a refridgerator that is all 'fridge and a freezer that is all freezer. My friends think I am nuts but I do like to buy in bulk!

Oooh, I'd like to find one like that. I could live without the freezer section, exception the ice cubes are handy.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 14:53

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3splenda
Also, if we bought a 1/2 cow here we'd be out of ribeyes and living off ground beef in no time! No fun!

Buying in bulk really pays off if you can get more unusual cuts. When we got a 1/4 hog, we got the regular deal that included lots of ham and some sausage and scrapple. I ended up not being able to eat much of that - BUT, the farmer said he also had a 1/2 hog deal where you got half the head, organs, all the good stuff. I'd love to do that now, but I think I need to wait until we have a fridge big enough to deal with pressing brains and curing our own hams and bellies.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 15:02

BF:

1/2 cow yeilds 8 ribeyes and 80 pounds of ground beef.... uhh....
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 15:09
Experimenter

BF:

Only 8 ribeyes? Aw!

What about other cuts? Chuck roast, flank steaks, etc, etc? Or do they just grind up everything else?
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 15:14

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I could probably handle 80 pounds of ground beef.... As a family, we probably eat 10 pounds a week.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 15:20

BF:

YES - there are other cuts... 12 T-bones 6 Top Sirloins 3 Tips 5 Flanks etc. Mostly ground beef! We love our ribeyes - they're our favourite cut of beef. Once we (quickly) went through our 8 ribeyes my husband would be ready to kill his own cow. Just not worth it!

capmikee! That's only 8 weeks worth of food! You guys would zip through a whole cow in no time!
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 17:30

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
YES - there are other cuts... 12 T-bones 6 Top Sirloins 3 Tips 5 Flanks etc. Mostly ground beef! We love our ribeyes - they're our favourite cut of beef. Once we (quickly) went through our 8 ribeyes my husband would be ready to kill his own cow. Just not worth it!

capmikee! That's only 8 weeks worth of food! You guys would zip through a whole cow in no time!

A LOT of that has to do with processing. One of the farms I buy from processes like this (copy paste from their website):

Typical Quarter of Beef

(Hanging weight is usually about 125 lbs.)
Steak 20-25 lbs
Roasts 15-20 lbs
Cubed Steak* 3-5 lbs
Short-Ribs 2-3 lbs
Ground Beef* 15-25 lbs
Stew Meat* 3-5 lbs
Soup Bones 2-4 lbs

I generally buy smaller bundles from this farmer -- his meat is out of this world but he is expensive. The cow I'm getting this week is 50% ground beef but fewer roasts. I actually prefer the ground beef. It's expensive ground beef, but not as expensive as the ground beef I'd buy if I were to buy it individually.

We eat about 3 pounds of meat per day except on Sundays where we eat 4 (I feed my parents once a week). That's why I buy in bulk! And am a member of a CSA . . . And still buy additional meat from my CSA
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 18:10

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Oooh, I'd like to find one like that. I could live without the freezer section, exception the ice cubes are handy.

FYI - I got mine at Sears. It was relatively cheap for a fridge - ~$500?? Something like this only I don't think I bought a Frigidaire...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...04501000P?mv=rr

I don't use much ice so I don't miss that too much! Especially since I can keep an entire shelf free in the fridge for water, sodas, wine, beer, etc...
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 21:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
A LOT of that has to do with processing. One of the farms I buy from processes like this (copy paste from their website):

Typical Quarter of Beef

(Hanging weight is usually about 125 lbs.)
Steak 20-25 lbs
Roasts 15-20 lbs
Cubed Steak* 3-5 lbs
Short-Ribs 2-3 lbs
Ground Beef* 15-25 lbs
Stew Meat* 3-5 lbs
Soup Bones 2-4 lbs

Here's ours:

Bulk Beef Approximate Weights & Cuts
(Available in Whole, Half & Quarter)

Approximate Hang Weight

Quarter
140 lbs

T-Bone 6

Ribeye 4 (our favourite cut of beef)

Top Sirloin 3

Sirloin Tip 1

Top Round 1

Stirfry (Top Round) 3

Cube Steak ( Bottom Rd) 3

Tri-Tip, Flank, Skirt, etc 3

Chuck Roast 4

Arm Roast 4

Eye of Round Roast 2

Cross Rib Roast 4

Ground Beef 40

Stew Meat 5

Shanks 4

Short Ribs 5

Back Ribs 1

Brisket 4

Soup bones 5

Estimated Total (lbs) 100
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-09, 05:19

BF:

My kids hate pot roast, but they've learned to eat it. My husband will eat anything and everything (raised in a poor family with a mom who was a traditional polish cook who would use most parts of an animal). Our favorite cut is the porterhouse, but in this area, it costs $20/pound for grass fed individually, quite a bit less if bought in a bundle.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-09, 08:36

BF:

Yeah, pot roast is not my favourite either - give me pork shoulder any time!

20/# no matter the cut? That's crazy! I can get grass fed/finished (from California - Eel River) ground beef at the co-op for 2.00/lb! The co-op often has manager's specials on aforementioned beef, but still... rather get it fresh from a local farm. Great in a pinch though! We're soooo lucky!

HA! I just saw you clearly wrote "for porterhouse" It's early!!!!
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-09, 08:52

BF:

Quote:
Yeah, pot roast is not my favourite either - give me pork shoulder any time!

20/# no matter the cut? That's crazy! I can get grass fed/finished (from California - Eel River) ground beef at the co-op for 2.00/lb! The co-op often has manager's specials on aforementioned beef, but still... rather get it fresh from a local farm. Great in a pinch though! We're soooo lucky!

HA! I just saw you clearly wrote "for porterhouse" It's early!!!!

Hahahaha, here the cheapest ground beef at the supermarket costs at least $3 a pound unless you get really lucky on the manager specials. And who knows what's in that mess. Our local food coop is vegetarian :/ The only retail store to get grass finished beef is Whole Foods (we're a family of six, nuff said).

And yes, supporting your local farms is by far the best thing to do. It's a major reason I pay a premium price for my chickens.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-09, 10:41
Experimenter

BF:

I need to revisit how to cook pork shoulder. Last time I cooked it low and slow to break down all that connective tissue, but then it comes out dry and hard on the outside. Just overall I haven't been having really good luck with pork shoulder. Maybe I should be cooking it with moisture?

Taste-wise it's been kind of bland tasting. I ended up taking my last batch and chopping it up into small pieces and adding it to chili.