Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 07:29

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 220/179.6/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hi Sno,

I'm still frustrated but I'm better today. I'm going to stick it out a while longer. I love how I feel on this diet and I love having a cheat day on the weekend!! So I'm going to deal with the s-l-o-w weight loss for now. Maybe it really is that we're not losing muscle this time and fat weighs less than muscle -- let's hope!! Anyway, I like that I don't get hungry. Eating every three hours does the trick. My daughter says I don't eat enough but I eat the portions Joel suggests. It's always a guessing game and I hate that.

I've tried Atkins protein bars but really did not like the taste that much. I've seen Pure Protein in the stores but never tried it -- let me know how you like it.

Today is my first HGI day -- I just got done exercising.

Abby

Last edited by Abby3 : Thu, Jun-18-09 at 13:24.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 18:00

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 227/216/177 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default thursday

HI Abby:

yeah I like eating five times a day too--I definitely would continue doing that cuz it only makes sense. I need to see some movement to keep this going past sunday which will be my two week mark.

the pure protein bars are killer!! I have tried the chocolate and the smores and they are both great.

Sno
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 15:08

BF:

Hi Sno,

Do you have another diet in mind yet? I really don't know where I would go from here. The more I read, the more confused I get. So many plans are alike and so many are completely different. I've been searching the forums looking for people who have had success and hoping to discover exactly how they've succeeded. There's just sooo much to read -- it's exhausting!! I've looked at the Atkins site where a lot of people have had the same experience that I did -- good initial loss but then a complete stall. I've read about high fat diets, low and semi low carb, high protein, intermittent fasting, carb cycling, etc. Some people even make up their own diets. I understand that it's a journey but geez!!!

Sorry for ranting -- I had a really tough week and when I'm tired I get a little crazy. TGIF -- I really need this weekend.

Abby
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 16:06

BF:
Default another diet

Hi Abby:

I am totally with you! It is so hard to know what to do. I had hopes for this plan but I seem to be hovering around the same weight so I think I just need more structure.

I think I am just going to go to counting calories again. I know I lose tons of weight quickly by eating 1200-1300 calories a day in five meals a day which is basically the nutrisystem plan. I've been trying low carb for a while and I havent really lost much this time.

Yes--I have been beat by this week--the weekend is going to be a treat. Take care of yourself.

Sno
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-09, 09:10

BF:

Sno,

I just reread page 100-101 of Joel's book. It's all about how to measure success on this diet. Body measurements are key. He says not to even look at the scale during the week. I know I mentioned before that I am addicted to my scale -- I weigh myself every morning and the yoyoing of this diet was driving me crazy. Luckily, when I started this diet, I took my waist, hips, and right thigh measurements. Last Sat. they were down a little and today a little more. For the total three weeks, I have lost 1" on my waist, 1" on my hips, and 0 on the thigh. I hope this is a sign that I am losing fat and not muscle.

I think I have to reframe my outlook and learn to be happy with the measurements instead of what I see on the scale. I was so eager to get into the 160s -- it was all I was focusing on!! Did you take your measurements when you started? You're a week behind me -- two weeks may not be enough time to see any real changes. But if counting calories works, than maybe that's best for you. Maybe you could do both.

I've had a lot ups and downs with this diet and probably will have a lot more -- that's one of the great things about this forum -- letting off steam!!!

Have a great weekend.
Abby
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jun-21-09, 12:24

BF:
Default Sunday

Hi Abby:

I have not completely given up yet--tomorrow I will weigh and measure myself and see how I do. You may be right that I am in too much of a hurry. If this pays of in the long run that is the true measure.

I do like alternating low carb days with higher carb days and then a cheat day--that gives me variety and I definitely have less trouble with cravings. So the way of eating is cool. I will keep you posted! Have a great weekend!

Sno

PS I enjoy our correspondence and hope to keep it up!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 09:29

BF:

Hi Sno,

Hope you had some progress on Sunday. I was thinking that maybe we slowed things by not following the induction phase of Joel's plan. He says the induction phase is important to curb leptin and glucose resistence as well as getting used to eating differently. I've been eating low carb for years and cravings are not a problem so I thought I could just jump right in but I don't know where I stand on the leptin issue. Is there any way to tell when you are leptin resistent? I guess maybe measurements that don't change.

I just looked over some posts about carb cycling. Some say to do low carb four days and then higher carb the other days. Another said to do low carb through the week and high carb on the weekends. Joel's approach seems better to me with more variety and the chance to splurge a little on the cheat day. Speaking of that, on Sat. I ate dinner at a restaurant serving Vietnamese cuisine. It was great! Seems very healthy. I'd never had it before but will definitely go again. I'm not going to mention the water gain yesterday -- I'm going by measurements only for now.

Abby
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 15:39

BF:
Default Monday

Hi Abby:

well, you may be right--I could be leptin resistant. I measured several times and I have not lost a centimeter as far as I can see.

I had been doing low carb for two weeks before I started so I figured I was good to go. I think there is something to carb cycling tho--I will look on the forums and see what other are doing.

Keep going--you sound like you are doing well. Feeling good on a plan is really important. I liked the variety and the shift from very low carb to higher carb etc.

I am starting on counting calories and I am thinking of starting with 1200 and then having a cheat meal rather than a cheat day once a week. We'll see. I heard about a fast fat loss diet by Lyle Mcdonald that I might try. He also does carb cycling.

Happy monday!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 18:33

BF:
Default research

Hi Abby:

I have been reading some of the carb cycling threads and it seems like they vary wildly but one person seems to have great success with doing lowest carb for the week and then basically eat as much carbs as she wants on weekends not like a cheat day--ocaisional treats but keeping high protein along with it.

I am ordering several metabolism books from my library--Fat Burning, and ultra metabolism. The first is supposed to be a carb cycling book. I am also ordering a book called The TNT diet by Mens Health from amazon. I still think carb cycling is the deal but I need more structure so hopefully I will find some answers in these books.

How are you doing?

Sno
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 08:50

BF:

Hi Sno,

I'm doing about the same -- unfortunately no real change. Tuesday I did my first 18 min. interval workout on my stationary bike. It was easier than I thought it would be so I guess I'm getting stronger. I like the sound of the low carbing all week and then some treats on the weekends. I'm beginning to think that 170 may be as low as my body wants to go. I would love to be less but as long as I feel good and I don't gain any back, I'm pretty happy. I really need to build up my muscles and get stronger more than anything.

Today I'm seeing a rheumatologist. He's new so hope I like him and it's not a waste of time. I need some answers. For the last two months, I've been losing more hair then usual. Over the holidays, I put on 15 lbs. and then I lost it along with an additional 10 lbs. from Jan. to Apr. That's pretty quick and I know low carbing can cause hair loss but I also have a history of lupus and it's a symptom of that too. It's not terrible but a little worrisome because I have fine hair to begin with. This also happened about two years ago but it stopped by itself. So, I need to see where I'm at with the lupus.

Let me know what you find in your library search.

Abby

Last edited by Abby3 : Wed, Jun-24-09 at 09:09.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 11:10

BF:
Default carbing and weight

Hi Abby:

I was also intruiged by one poster that said that taking your tempurature was key in preventing metabolism slowing. Taking a baseline while off diet and then taking it every morning to make sure it is stable. Eating more on a day when the metabolism dips down to bring it right back up again.

You may be right about the weight thing. Being at a weight that you can maintain easily is a much more healthy move than continuing to diet--I think. When I was on my big weight loss thing and went from 264 down to 184 I just stopped at 184 and couldnt lose for several months even tho I was dieting. My goal had been 164 but I realized my body was telling me something. I would have stayed at 184 I think but I took a medication that made me gain weight and I just gave up for a while. So here I am 28 lbs up. I do want to lose that again and will be very happy to be 184 again.

Take care and I will keep you posted!

sno
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 17:33

Plan: LC
Stats: 189/184/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I must have missed that post about the metabolism. How do you tell when it dips from your temperature - is the temp up or down?
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 21:10

BF:
Default metabolism

Oh hi:

yeah you take a baseline temp when you are not dieting then you check you temp each morning and if it goes low your metabolism goes low--think you have less heat in your system and the metabolism is burning low.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 10:13

BF:

Hi Sno,

That's interesting about low temps indicating lowered metabolism. My temps seem to always run a little low -- around 96.5 and 97.5. I read that low temps can indicate hypothyroid. I checked mine for a few weeks and I guess I could be but my tests do not show it. Supposedly eating low carb and healthy corrects low metabolism in time. Right?? I know I've read exercise increases metabolism.

Well, I saw my doctor and happily there are no signs of lupus so my hair loss is still a mystery -- more than likely the quick weight gain and loss putting stress on my system. I've read a lot of posts with similar experiences.

I'm still liking this diet, even though I am not losing any weight. At least I'm not gaining either and I feel great. So I plan to stick with it -- at least for a while.

Have a great day.
Abby
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 13:29

BF:
Default July 1

Hi Abby:

major computer snafu and I just got it back from repair yesterday and I have to send it in again because the modem doesnt work. Argghhh!

Anyway, I havent been doing much toward diet but I did order the Lyle mcdonald book to see what it is about. I like the idea of a crash.

How are things going with you?

Sno