Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-31-09, 10:06

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 220/179.6/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Smile Cheat to Lose Diet by Joel Marion

While in the library, I found a book called "The Cheat to Lose Diet" by Joel Marion. It's all about harnessing leptin to speed metabolism. Last year, I had a couple of sessions with a trainer at a fitness club. The diet he gave me to follow was very similar to the cheat to lose diet -- eating three meals and two snacks each day consisting of small portions of protein, carbs and fat -- and having two cheat days a week. I was doubtful that I could lose anything with two cheat days so I never really gave it a try. The cheat to lose diet is the same but only allows one cheat day. The premise is that by continually low carbing, the body thinks it is in starvation mode. By having a cheat day once a week, it jump starts leptin and gets the metabolism going. I found on Atkins that I initially lost a lot of weight but now it only keeps me at the same weight.

I'm thinking of giving this diet a try. Has anyone tried it or anything similar to it? Any thoughts about it?

Oops, I just found an old thread on this subject. My bad!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-09, 18:16

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 227/216/177 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Diet?

Hi Abby:

I read parts of the old forum and had difficulty figuring out what people were doing so I am in the process of downloading the e-book. I am curious about this and want to see whats up.

Are you doing it?

Sno
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-09, 18:33

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hmmmm, interesting. I notice that when I cheat (though rarely), I still lose weight if there is a return to induction the next day.

However, it's risky. Cheating is why I've started this diet multiple times w/out long-term success. Also, after a cheat the induction flu can start all over again (ie. it feels lousy for a few days).
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-09, 19:52

BF:
Default cheat

Yeah I know what you mean--but the book is not really about cheating. I was just reading it and it is about planning different levels of carbs etc. There are planned cheat days but you arent supposed to binge.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-09, 23:11

BF:

I just finished my first week on this diet and had my first cheat day today. I really like the diet and felt great during the week but I definitely overdid the cheat day. It was not a binge though. The thing that made me sick was a 16oz. bottle of Coke. I drank half with my dinner and immediately felt bloated. It took about 30 min. to feel normal again. Then later that night (like an idiot) I finished the other half!!! The feeling was even worse the second time around. What a mistake. I will NOT do that ever again. It's 1:00 am and I know I will not sleep well tonight if I ever get to sleep. I know it was the sugar that got to me because I can drink diet Coke with no problem. I'm so angry with myself. I was actually doing real good all day -- eating healthy carb foods -- not even feeling very hungry -- and then I just had to have that bleepin' Coke.

Anyway, I don't want to discourage anyone because I really like the diet and way I felt all week. Eating smaller, more frequent meals is definitely the right way for me to eat. Next Saturday I will only have quality high carb foods -- no junk or sugar (that I don't really like anymore anyway)!!! BTW, I had lost 1.3 lbs. for the week when I weighed in this morning before the cheating -- so I know it can work if done properly. I just started a journal today and will post my results there so drop by if interested.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-09, 13:08

BF:
Default 3 week primer?

Hi Abby--

the version I am reading has a three week period to begin with where you have one week no carb, one week medium carb, one week high carb no fat, and then a cheat day--have you already done that or are you doing something else?

Just trying to figure this out.

Sno
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-09, 16:32

BF:

No, you're right. I just decided to jump into the second phase. For a long time, I have done a modified low carb diet so I thought it might not make a difference. It probably depends a lot on where your metabolism is. Also I'm not always real good at following the rules -- as demonstrated by yesterday, LOL! This morning I was 3lbs. heavier (water gain I assume). Been low carbing all day and feel great again.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-09, 17:23

BF:
Default oh I see

Hi Abby:

yeah I was looking to see if they had a section on what to do if you are already low carbing but there wasnt anything and he bags on long term low carbing so not sure what to do after two weeks of low carb.

I think I will have tomorrow be a cheat day and then go to core program like you--it doesnt really make sense to start over really, and he does emphasize the starting with a cheat day--hee hee!!

Thanks for the info--I am on a forum where people are low carbing and I am seeing the phenomenon reported by Joel where people have a cheat day then go on to lose more weight. Also I was stricter this week low carbing than last week and I have lost less weight so I think I am in the same boat.

Keep me posted!

Sno

PS--I see there is a website where Joel has all this extra info--videos, more data etc for nly: $47. Money back guarantee. I think it was called cheat to be thin. I am kinda tempted since guaranteed, on the other hand maybe I have enough info.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 11:08

BF:
Default cheat day

Well today I am trying a cheat day. Now after being on lo-carb for a while I have been funny so far in what I eat--for example I originally thought of making pancakes but what I really craved was cereal. so I tried some special K protein and it was too sweet so I had another cereal.

And it was very filling--I feel stuffed! We'll see what happens the rest of the day.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 15:00

BF:

Sno,

My cheat day is Sat. so this is my second LC day. I have to tell you yesterday I felt really tired but today is a little better. I haven't felt like exercising at all -- although I did a little today. This may be a result of overdoing it on my cheat as I mentioned above. I gained 3lbs water after the cheat day but I am already down .8 lb today. I'm starting to have some doubts about this but am determined to give it a good shot. Seems like we may be the only two trying this diet so please keep me posted.

Abby
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 18:36

BF:
Default Doubts

Hi Abby:

well I am just starting and reading the book was pretty convincing. I think he is right that weight loss is more complex than is generally thought. The thing is that I want to add muscle cuz my last lo-cal diet I lost a lot--I was very flabby. So I know there must be a better way.

I tried the interval thing the last two days and it was fairly easy. I cant run but I have a stationary bike.

One of the reasons I like this too is that I get bored eating the same thing all the time. I wondered before about alternating lowcarb with low fat etc. It seems there are benefits to all of the diets and combing them makes sense.

Keep me posted--and dont desert me! Or is that dessert?

Sno
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 16:14

BF:

Sno,

I was just tired yesterday -- the last two days were tough because of the over cheat. Anyway, I feel great today so I'm feeling more confident. I can't run either but I have an old stationary bike that I rigged to be a recumbent bike. It works great and doesn't hurt the butt. I tried the interval training but I don't have the stamina yet. I find if I can just do 10 mins. in the morning it really helps my metabolism. I try to do some core exercises a few times a week as well. I am 56 and definitely need to build muscle and strength as well as flexibility. I just wish it didn't take so much effort!!!

Anyway, I'm hanging in there and hoping for good results by the end of the week. And don't worry, I won't dessert you.

PS. I am really enjoying the variety with this diet too. For so long, I had very little fruit with Atkins and no grains. So this is a real treat for me. I've added no fat cottage cheese (Atkins no-no), yams, pumpkin and oatmeal. I just bought some Almond milk (unsweetened) to use in my whey shakes. And the eating every three hours is really key for me -- I'm never hungry!

Last edited by Abby3 : Tue, Jun-09-09 at 16:24.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 21:12

BF:
Default Tuesday

Hi Abby:

sounds like you are doing great. I was a little head-achey today I think from carbing out yesteday. I made buttermilk biscuits for dinne. REally good. I was up two pounds this morning but it didnt worry me.

I was just reading the book a little today. It said that exercising on the two days after the cheat day can double the fat loss. So I did an interval this morning and one this evening, and a short walk after.

I think as long as you are challenging yourself that is the key. If 10 minutes does it then that should work.

I had a knee injury a few years ago and I could only walk 5 minutes a day. I did that every day for a month and then I increased my walking 5 minutes a day until I was walking an hour a day. I believe in going slow and building. So even tho I can do the intervals now, I couldnt have done them two years ago.

Having a high carb day yesterday made it easy to do a low carb day today--there were pastries at work and i glanced at them but I knew I could have some next week so it was no problem.

Take care and keep it up!!

Sno
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-09, 11:41

BF:

Hi Sno,

Good for you for passing up the pastries -- I've found that for me they usually don't taste as good as they look anyway. And sometimes just the smell of certain foods can satisfy my cravings. Also, I am lucky because I work at home so I don't have to deal with temptation as much.

Only a 2 lb. increase is great!! I going to try for that this Sat. I lost most of the water weight by Tuesday (3 days) and it is steadily dropping. This is a real surprise because with LCing it would have taken 5-7 days to get a water gain off and then no loss after that.

I looked at the book again to check out the exercise part. I just skimmed it the first time thinking I would just do what I normally do. That's interesting about working out the two days after the cheat and the two days before the cheat. I plan on giving it a try. I'm working on building my stamina now that my energy is back to normal.

I just need to keep those tempting sweets out of my mind on cheat day!!

Have a good day.

Abby
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-09, 19:11

BF:
Default Thursday

Hi Abby:

good to hear from you. This woe and its synergy with exercise is a little complex. I have to keep reminding myself that it is about losing fat, maintaining muscle and keeping the metabolism going. It is not about the number on the scale. joel in fact says not to weigh except once a week and to use measurements as the guide.

I kinda wish he had some more clear guidelines like grams of protein or carbs or calories but I guess that is kinda the point.

Now I understand we pretty much can have what we want on cheat day right? He says that one person was not getting results on the plan because she was not doing a real cheat day and that the body needs that spike in calories to increase the leptin levels in the blood, right?

I have been wiped this week--I have been very busy and not sleeping that great. So I havent exercised as much as I would like--I was planning on getting back into my weights routine this week but so far no.

However, I did two of the interval type workouts he recommneds on Tuesday-my first lowcarb day and the day after my cheat, and about 20 minutes of walking, and then yesterday I did one interval, another 20 minutes of walking. Today I did about 10 minutes walking and thats it. I am taking a break.

Hope all is well with you and keep me posted!

Sno