Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 10:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/147/128 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Optimal Diet during Pregnancy

No, I could not think of a more creative name this morning!

Waiting on the others to come join me....

Hoping to support each other following the OD during pregnancy!

For more information about the Optimal Diet, read this: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=394793

And if you are really feeling ambitious, read this: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=394198
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 13:51

BF:

27 views and not a single response? No one following the Optimal Diet?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 13:56

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I think Pangolina's spread herself too thinly to register this thread... but I think there are a couple other pregnant women doing ON in addition to her.

As for myself, I am neither pregnant nor following the Optimal Diet, but I'm interested in the diet, and after three harrowing experiences with my wife's hyperemesis, I am curious about pregnancy diets.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-08-09, 10:25

Plan: pregnant
Stats: 185/214/130 Female 65in
BF:
Progress: -53%

I plan to start following the Optimal Diet on Monday. I tried to watch my protein and carbs and up my fat for a few days last week and lost 5 pounds.
I ran out of ideas to get in more fat without having to drink some heavy cream, so right now I'm trying to plan some menus and try out new recipes. I'm going to make some lard tomorrow so that will make things a little easier. My biggest problem is finding something for breakfast and lunch that the kids will eat and won't take more than 5 minutes to prepare. I'm tired of spending my most of my day in the kitchen.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-08-09, 12:02

What's wrong with drinking heavy cream? Add egg yolk and seltzer: it's an egg cream. Add fruit and blend: it's a smoothie. Freeze, add vanilla and blend: it's a milkshake. Add espresso: it's an iced latte. The possibilities are endless!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-14-09, 12:32

BF:

I had some heavy cream this morning with a little bit of coffee in it. I also added some DaVinci Hazelnut to it. Yum...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-17-09, 08:29

Plan: Pregnancy / Dr. K / SCD
Stats: 160/000/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 640%

Sorry, I keep meaning to come over here!

Right when I was about to post in this thread for the first time, I came across a Polish board that seemed to be largely populated by "Kwasniewski dissidents" who objected to the Optimal Diet (on grounds that I couldn't quite figure out, for the most part... machine translations will only take you so far). Anyway, there were some posts expressing concern that following the diet during pregnancy wasn't a good idea. It seems that JK's observation about Optimal Dieters often having smaller babies is true, and some people's children had to stay in the NICU for a while because they were considered too small (like 5-6 lb). Meanwhile, the parents were lectured by the doctors about having starved their children due to ketosis.

I find this whole issue really strange, for a bunch of reasons:

- Dr. K doesn't place strict limits on carbs during pregnancy. He actually says (in Homo Optimus) that if you're already well established on the diet before pregnancy, you can pretty much eat whatever you feel like (meaning real food, not sugar or junk food, obviously). Not that that applies to most of us on this board, who are pretty new to the diet -- but it does apply to a lot of the pregnant Optimal Dieters in Poland. From what I've read on the main Polish board, they do tend to go "off the wagon," especially in the first trimester, just as many American LCers do.

- I remember reading on a LC board (maybe this one?) that some American OBs had advised their patients that 75 g of carbs would be enough to keep out of ketosis during pregnancy. Others have been told that Atkins maintenance would be fine.

- The people I know who've had lowish-carb pregnancies (myself included) have generally had bigger children than average... all above 8 or 9 lb. This baby is shaping up to be a pretty big one, too.

Maybe the smaller babies are due to something that goes differently in very early pregnancy, when the placenta is being formed? Or maybe these women are getting less protein than usual, due to the fat suppressing their appetites? These seem more plausible than the ketosis theory. (My friends and I, who've had big children after low-to-moderate carb pregnancies, always got plenty of protein.)

Since I started this diet after becoming pregnant, my "Optimal instinct" wasn't developed, so I've chosen to aim for 80-100 g each of protein and carbs. In the third trimester, I'm pretty sure I've started exceeding this range, but I'm not really concerned. Anyway, I'm kind of relieved that the baby is looking big. I know JK says smaller people are healthier, but I don't feel comfortable banking my child's future on that theory. Not that I want to have another 9 lb. baby, but having one who's less than 7 lb. would be kind of disturbing.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-17-09, 08:59

BF:

BTW, I love heavy cream and butter, and use them a lot, to the point where I can see how it might be possible to eat too little protein (at least, by mainstream standards... not sure what Dr. K would consider "too little"). A 5 oz cup of heavy cream is very satisfying. So is a 4 oz bowl of vegetable soup, with lots of butter added. I'm no longer using ratios, as the increased carb allowance in late pregnancy was making it too confusing, so now I just make a point of eating some protein at every meal, along with a small serving of fruit and a large serving of fat.

Due to the SCD, I can't have starchy foods or lactose, so I've had to eat more fruit than would be typical on the Optimal Diet. This includes some high-sugar fruits like bananas, just so that I can get the carbs in without overloading on fiber. Normally, JK suggests that women at this stage simply eat more potatoes or bread, and I'd certainly recommend going that route instead if it agrees with you.

Complicating things further, I think I have some degree of egg intolerance (I clued in to this after one of my children started complaining about feeling bad after eating eggs), so I'm just using them in baked goods for now.

Here's a typical day's menu at 35 weeks pregnant. The snacks are just "whenever."

- breakfast: full-fat cottage cheese with heavy cream; fruit

- lunch: French onion soup with bone broth, extra butter, & calcium-rich hard cheese; fruit

- dinner: pot roast & vegetables in buttery sauce; fruit

- snacks: nut flour muffin; pate & celery sticks; Havarti and avocado; berries and heavy cream
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-17-09, 17:24

I thought starch was ok on SCD?

Pangolina, have you tried eating egg yolks only?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-17-09, 20:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I thought starch was ok on SCD?

Nope, it's monosaccharides only, i.e. glucose and fructose. No sucrose, no lactose, no starch. We can eat some foods that naturally contain polysaccharides, like fruit that contains sucrose, and (at the advanced stages) certain beans that contain starch, but we can't have them in a concentrated form, as in cane sugar or potatoes.

It's practically the opposite of the low glycemic diet, as it was created to help with digestive issues, rather than to control blood sugar. The idea is to only eat the carbohydrates that are most easily and rapidly absorbed, so that they won't pass into the intestine and feed the "bad gut bugs." Some aspects of the diet were developed by clinical trial and error, so it doesn't always appear to make logical sense, but it works very well for a lot of people.

Quote:
Pangolina, have you tried eating egg yolks only?

If anything, the yolks seem to be more of a problem than the whites, but I'm still working on figuring it out. I actually think that the underlying issue might be a sensitivity to chicken. We use fertile eggs, so there could certainly be some chicken protein in the eggs... yuck. I have a long history of getting "food poisoning" from chicken, and the child in question has also said that chicken makes her feel bad.

Another possibility is the chicken feed, as this child and I are also very gluten-sensitive. The eggs are truly pastured, and excellent quality, but I'm pretty sure they get some grains.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-17-09, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangolina
Nope, it's monosaccharides only

Ok, that's a big difference from the low-FODMAP diet that I didn't know about. No fructose, but glucose polymers of any size are allowed.

Quote:
It's practically the opposite of the low glycemic diet

That's what it has in common with low-FODMAP. Sometimes I think the glycemic index is as dangerous an idea as the lipid hypothesis.

Quote:
Another possibility is the chicken feed, as this child and I are also very gluten-sensitive. The eggs are truly pastured, and excellent quality, but I'm pretty sure they get some grains.

I can pretty much guarantee it. Chickens can't grow to broiler size or lay eggs every day without some grain supplementation - even Joel Salatin, the master of all things pasture, buys chicken feed.

I'm banking on the assumption that this is my problem with chicken. I sometimes feel crappy after eating chicken or eggs, especially if the chicken is not extremely well cooked. I don't eat much chicken meat - mostly I make stock and eat deep-fried wings. I eat eggs almost every day, but almost exclusively eggs from my own chickens, who are fed a gluten-free diet.

The chicken farmer who comes to our local farmer's market is gluten intolerant, but she gives her birds a mix that contains wheat. She says she's fine if she handles the feed carefully, but I can't imagine living like that myself.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 22:14

BF:

Just wanted to copy my previous post about the Optimal Diet and pregnancy, which was buried in the depths of the Dr. K mega-thread.

----

Hi to the newcomers. I'm 33 weeks pregnant (and also on the SCD).

I've been eating high-fat, moderate-carb most of the time since last fall. In the beginning, it was mainly to satisfy cravings, as this baby seems to really love fats. Then, when I started looking into the high-fat way of eating, I came across all the Kwasniewski stuff on the web. Since the English language sites don't give instructions for pregnancy, I decided to aim for about a 1:2:1 ratio: 20% protein, 60% fat, 20% carbohydrate (in hindsight, more of a Barry Groves diet).

Then I got the books, and read his advice that the Optimal Diet was absolutely okay to do while pregnant and nursing. There are a few things that could be of concern, though. I only have time to share them briefly right now, but I'll happy to go into more detail later, if anyone is interested.

1) Beginners might go through a stage of ketosis as their bodies adjust to the diet, which might be something to avoid during pregnancy. He doesn't say this in the books, but his advice all seems to assume that the reader was already on the diet when she became pregnant, and he's not a fan of ketosis in general, so it's kind of an open question. If you're LC already, though, it seems unlikely to be a big issue.

2) He says that babies of Optimal Dieters, and children who are raised on this way of eating, will be very healthy but smaller than average, and will grow and mature more slowly. He thinks this is a good thing. (I'll explain why later on, when I get the chance.) He also doesn't think that it's good for pregnant women to gain more than 15-20 lb. If you're not comfortable with this, you might want to get off the bus... or at least take a more moderate approach, with ~60% fat and 20% protein, as I was doing in the beginning.

3) He recommends nursing for at least one year, and ideally three or more. The child should be weaned onto Optimal foods, such as broth with egg yolks, or milk with added cream. He doesn't talk about specific ratios for children, but his suggested recipes for lunchboxes are all around a 1:2:1 ratio.

4) During pregnancy, he says that you should increase carbohydrate to ~125 g/day in the last few weeks, so that the baby can build glycogen stores. He recommends getting these carbs from bread. (Since I'm still on the SCD, I can only have fruit and honey, which isn't turning out to be as much fun as it sounds! I'm finding it hard to work in all those simple sugars. I'm thinking about skipping ahead to a later stage of the SCD, and adding legumes.)

Other than that... pregnant women shouldn't restrict their overall food intake, but they also shouldn't eat just for the sake of it, or stuff themselves with snacks. You'll need to increase your protein and calories somewhat, compared to a regular adult, since you need them to build that baby! He doesn't give specific ratios, but just says you can follow your appetite (again, this assumes you've been on the diet for a while, and your appetite is a reliable indicator of your actual hunger). I've found that cravings are a good guide, and I'll often have a simple fourth meal in the late evening, containing the foods that are most appealing: cheese or yogurt for protein and calcium, heavy cream for fat, fruit for carbs.

When I sit down and work out the numbers, it turns out that I'm sticking pretty closely to the standard ratios, getting plenty of protein by mainstream medical standards, and eating a ton more fat than I ever would have imagined. My energy level is much better than in past pregnancies, weight gain is on the lower end of the normal range (and clearly "all baby;" with my other children, I tended to resemble a beached whale by this stage), the baby's size and activity level are fine, and everyone has been commenting on how healthy I look. I'm very happy with how things are going.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 08:27

Pangolina, you might be interested in the jam that my wife uses - Hero brand, from Switzerland. It's sweetened with glucose syrup, so it presumably has a lower fructose ratio than plain fruit.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-20-09, 21:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Pangolina, you might be interested in the jam that my wife uses - Hero brand, from Switzerland. It's sweetened with glucose syrup, so it presumably has a lower fructose ratio than plain fruit.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I avoid glucose syrup like the plague. It's the same thing as corn syrup (the glucose kind, not HFCS), with the added "bonus" that the European stuff is usually made from wheat.

My personal suspicion is that natural fructose might be somewhat healthier than natural glucose. And I'm quite certain that the fructose in fruit and honey is miles better than synthetic glucose. But that's a subject for another thread, and another time. I'm not going to join the fructose debate right now; I have enough on my plate (no pun intended ).
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-22-09, 01:41

BF:

Baby is due very soon, so it's time for me to take a break from posting for a while. Hope everything goes well for all of you!