Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 10:37

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
...Invariably, those who claim to gain fat on a zero carb diet also believe that carbohydrate is food...

Martin, humans do produce enzyme to digest carbohydrates. Why do you say it's not food. I know what you mean by that. That it's not healthy food for us and that we were maybe not meant to eat a lot. But why use the expression that it's not food? People outside these forums will close right up to an expression like that.

Patrick

Last edited by Valtor : Tue, Apr-21-09 at 19:50. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 11:10
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
People outside these forums will close right up to an expression like that.

People right here on this forum do close right up to an expression like that.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 12:00

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Martin -

I remember my own stint on VLC - prior to that I had been low-carbing (high fat) for about 2 years - carbs around 10- 30g a day. It was odd what happened, because at first I lost a little, then started gaining. Of course, it could have been for all kinds of reasons. I felt adapted in the sense that I had enough energy and the food was ok etc (no cravings). I think it was fat I gained because I developed a 'pooch' that hung over my jeans that wasn't there before-hand. There are too many variables though - stress etc to be sure it was diet to blame.

About stress hormones - I have read that cortisol rises on a VLC diet. I would think it would be high on a high -carb diet as well, but maybe going to either extreme isn't the healthiest.

Maybe it is simply a matter of being in lipolysis or not. I personally think that if you eat too much protein, not enough fat, too many carbs with too much protein (and not enough fat) then you won't be burning fat for energy enough of the time to burn your own. If though, you eat a lot of protein but no carbs and not enough fat but enough to stay out of rabbit starvation I think fat would be lost, but only because there isn't enough energy from the diet available. I have seen this happen to a zero-carber. I don't think it is healthy though, and certainly not really sustainable for most.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 04:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/253/220 Male 183
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
People right here on this forum do close right up to an expression like that.

If my wife breastfeeds our child, is most of the milk not food?
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 08:34

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko
If my wife breastfeeds our child, is most of the milk not food?

That is the exception to the rule. We are mammals, we breastfeed our offsprings. Should we continue to drink milk when we lose the ability to process lactose? Milk is the perfect food for a baby but the argument fails when applied to adults because of the inability of some to process lactose.

I've been over this argument several times. I've not lost it yet. In my opinion, carbohydrate is not food. But if you believe it is, then don't mind me and go ahead and eat it.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 08:40

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Yep, I am another one who found VLC did NOTHING for me. I was on less than 10 carbs daily. I felt bad, became obsessed with food and was HUNGRY. My thyroid hormones also decreased. And my BG numbers went way up. Not good!

I went back to regular low carb and my BG numbers decreased, I became more energetic, I was WAY less hungry and had decreased cravings. In short, all the benefits people reported on ZC/VLC occur for me on LC.

I think VLC or zero carb can work for some people, as we are all unique individuals. However, I think a low carbohydrate diet is of use too. It's not ALL about the insulin.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 08:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
Yep, I am another one who found VLC did NOTHING for me. I was on less than 10 carbs daily. I felt bad, became obsessed with food and was HUNGRY. My thyroid hormones also decreased. And my BG numbers went way up. Not good!

Without knowing what you ate, my guess is that you didn't eat enough fat.

I noticed something about ZC and those who have problems with it. Most of those that I read about who have problems with ZC are women and don't eat enough fat. And invariably, they claim to feel better when adding back carbs. Why is it like this? I wouldn't know. But that's my limited observation.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 08:50

I rendered tallow, used butter and deliberately ate fatty meat. I really don't see how I could have eaten more fat unless I drank it.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 09:02

BF:

Quote:
I rendered tallow, used butter and deliberately ate fatty meat. I really don't see how I could have eaten more fat unless I drank it.

Then it's something else. I noticed your signature says you have a problem with your thyroid. I know virtually nothing about that but I'd say it has the potential to make a difference when switching diets especially considering that hormones are mostly made from cholesterol which is made from fat.

However, don't blame ZC for what a lifetime of high carb did. ZC will merely expose it. I'm not trying to convince to go back to ZC, I'm merely trying to explain that ZC is not to blame.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 10:02

I am not saying ZC is to blame. I am just saying that we are all different. Some of us hyper secrete when we eat a lot of protein whereas others do not. I have no desire to knock zero carb. I just want people to recognise that protein can cause us to release excess insulin. Also I was not zero carb. I was VLC. I am just saying that as true zero carb is under five carbs.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 10:43

BF:

Quote:
I am not saying ZC is to blame. I am just saying that we are all different. Some of us hyper secrete when we eat a lot of protein whereas others do not. I have no desire to knock zero carb. I just want people to recognise that protein can cause us to release excess insulin. Also I was not zero carb. I was VLC. I am just saying that as true zero carb is under five carbs.

I agree. We are all different. Some grow fat, while others remain lean. However, as Charles says, only the lucky ones grow fat. In other words, it's so obvious what it does to them that they can catch it early. For those who remain lean, it's quite insidious what a high carb diet does.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 10:57

The solution to our obesity or fatness is not just zero carb though. Different amounts of macronutrients suit different people. Charles has always said we should listen to our body's cues and satiety levels. I have done so and my body does not give me cravings or excessive hunger now that I no longer VLC. Refined carbohydrates, additives and sugar are bad for everyone. After that, it is all highly individual. Charles may think only the lucky get fat and that is fine. However there are many slim and healthy people who eat way more carbs than you and I do.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 11:34

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
I think Martin already knows that an excess of protein can stimulate insulin secretion. I mean, we all know that an excess of protein is converted to glucose. Anyway, I don't want to reply in your stead Martin of course.

Patrick

Patrick, I have no idea how to research this, but I am very curious as to what nutritionists used to deem the optimum daily protein intake -- say, like in the 1930s, the 1950s and back around the turn of the century.

I'd love to know how the Recommended Daily Allowance for protein & carbs has changed through the decades.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
I'd love to know how the Recommended Daily Allowance for protein & carbs has changed through the decades.

Here you go: http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=How+has+th...ver+the+decades
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 13:32
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
The solution to our obesity or fatness is not just zero carb though. Different amounts of macronutrients suit different people. Charles has always said we should listen to our body's cues and satiety levels. I have done so and my body does not give me cravings or excessive hunger now that I no longer VLC. Refined carbohydrates, additives and sugar are bad for everyone. After that, it is all highly individual. Charles may think only the lucky get fat and that is fine. However there are many slim and healthy people who eat way more carbs than you and I do.

Great post, Scarlet!!