Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 13:35

Plan: Pregnancy / Dr. K / SCD
Stats: 160/000/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 640%

Thank you for the beef marrow recipe!!! I think I still have some beef bones in the freezer. I'll have to try making it.

-----
Here are some of the things we've been eating recently. We're all on different ratios in our family, so I'm not going to give any quantities; just wanted to share some ideas.

Breakfasts:

Scrambled eggs made with added sour cream & seasonings, served with grated cheese and pesto

Homemade sausage made from seasoned ground pork, with scrambled eggs & extra yolks cooked in the pan drippings from the sausage

Lightly cooked bacon, and a soft-boiled egg with added butter

A small cup of heavy cream (this is meant to be a meal in itself, not a beverage )

Snacks:

Celery sticks with blue cheese dressing (blue cheese, yogurt, egg yolks, seasonings); any extra dressing can be eaten with a spoon

Hard boiled egg with a big dollop of mayonnaise

Savory nut flour muffin or mini scone, with butter

Yogurt made with half & half

Drained full-fat cottage cheese (or yogurt cheese) with added sour cream, onion powder, & herbal salt

---

Everyday lunches and dinners:

Tasty Chicken:

Heat a pan on medium, then add a package of bone-in chicken thighs, skin side down. Sprinkle the chicken generously with poultry seasoning.

When the chicken is seared, turn it over. Add a lump of butter, some sliced vegetables of your choice, and a few chicken livers or hearts, if you have them (I had some left over from whole chickens used to make stock).

Add about 1/2 cup water, and stir to deglaze the pan. Put the lid on and simmer until chicken is done. Serve the chicken, vegetables, and juices together in a bowl.

Hamburgers and Green Beans

Make hamburgers with 80/20 ground beef, an egg, and your choice of seasonings. Melt a tablespoon of beef drippings in a pan, and cook the burgers. Remove the burgers to a plate, put a small slice of cheese on each one, and put a lid or inverted bowl on top (to keep the heat in and melt the cheese).

Add some green beans to the pan drippings, and cook them until they're well-done and the pan juices have been absorbed.

Serve with mustard and sauerkraut.

Salmon Burgers

Mix together a can of wild salmon (with skin & bones mashed in), a big dollop of homemade mayonnaise, a squeeze of lemon juice, a spoonful of nut flour, and your choice of seasonings. Make it into patties, and coat them in more nut flour. Fry them in butter or oil until done.

----

Desserts (for treats & special occasions; not something we'd eat every day):

Mini baked "puddings" made with pecan flour, cream, eggs, melted butter, & a little applesauce

Homemade ice cream made from whipping cream, egg yolks, vanilla, wild blueberries, and a little honey

----

To make gluten-free baked goods with nut flour, search online for "SCD recipes." These recipes are generally quite flexible, so you can try adapting them by reducing or eliminating the honey, substituting different types of nut flour, increasing the butter or coconut oil, and substituting egg whites for the whole eggs (to use up the extra whites, if you're following JK's advice to add yolks to other dishes). In my experience, despite what the recipe might say, they usually come out best when baked at around 325.

----

And on that note, I have to go make lunch.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 14:21

BF:

More snack ideas:

Lunch meat spread with butter or cream cheese, & rolled up in a leaf of lettuce (or just rolled up and eaten as is)

Liverwurst mashed with butter or mayonnaise, in celery "boats"

A small cup of homemade broth, served hot or warm, with some fat left floating on top

A small handful of almonds, or other balanced nuts or nut butters

A small serving of plain pork rinds, with homemade sour cream & onion dip (most pork rinds are far too salty, but I've found a local brand that's fine; you might try checking a Hispanic grocery store)

A piece of double or triple creme Brie
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 14:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I look at that list of foods and my thought is you must be eating way more protein than I am. One 3 oz serving of meat is close to 20-30 grams of protein. Have you put this food into a nutrition program of some sort?
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 14:44

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I was thinking the same thing, Nancy. Especially with the protein from veg/dairy added in (and yes, my 1/2 cup of whole milk in my daily cappo that I REFUSE to give up!)....I am lucky to have a 3 oz serving of protein with my evening meal and in order to do that, I need to keep protein quite low during the rest of the day.

Not that I'm not satisfied with the 3 oz but in comparison to what I was eating, it's quite small.
My protein level is 46-57gms at month two.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 17:12

Plan: Atkins / High-Fat
Stats: 168/149/138 Female 5' 8"
BF:size: 12/10/8
Progress: 63%

Is anyone else questioning whether the ratios will still apply if you don't eat all of the weird Polish food, organ meats, etc?? I'm nervous that I'm sabotaging myself somehow. Thoughts???

This is day 2 for me:
B: 1/2 apple, peanut butter mixed with coconut oil, 1 cup coffee
S: an assortment of olives; about 10 medium-sized
L: 3 oz pot roast (I'm estimating), 1/2 bell pepper, 1 c. strawberries
S: 1.5 deviled eggs (I tossed one of the egg whites, but I used 2 yolks with the mayo), a couple almonds, 2 sardines mashed w/ olive oil and spices, piece of dark choc
(hi... i like afternoon snacks )
D: plan to have a salad w/ olive oil, and boiled cabbage w/ butter and bacon fat. (If i get hungry later I'll prob have some almonds.)

I should be right on w/ the ratios, but will OD actually help break my stall if I'm not eating the right foods? (I recognize that I'm not eating the right foods!) I'm getting super concerned - I've been trying to get to 148 lbs since December...
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 17:30

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_kid
Is anyone else questioning whether the ratios will still apply if you don't eat all of the weird Polish food, organ meats, etc?? I'm nervous that I'm sabotaging myself somehow. Thoughts???

:

I don't know that anyone has specifically addressed this with information from Dr. K himself (yet). My thought is that Dr. K designed this WOE based upon the foods that he had available in Poland at the time (was it 30-40 years ago, I think?). I don't think my body 'knows' whether I'm getting my protein from a pig or a cow or a sheep. Now, I could be totally wrong and my bod is smarter than I give it credit - but at least for now, I'm going to stick to the ratios and not worry about eating pork jowls, organ meat or bone marrow.

The thing that I've found over the last 2 years, in which time I've managed to remove 90 pounds of fat, is that whatever way of eating I select has to work with my lifestyle. For me, that is the over riding criteria for my way of eating. Yes, being a healthy weight is important to me but if I'm miserable, I might as well be miserable AND fat. (well, ok, I really don't advocate that, but you know what I mean?).

I think our diet needs to evolve as we learn new things and try things and find if they work or not. As long as we're open to that - and give new WOE a fair trial - we can't help but eventually be successful.

Maybe someone else can more specifically answer your question - I only know that I'm going to give this a fair trial - and at least until the middle of May I'm going to just worry about getting my ratios correct and not worry about whether I'm eating the same Polish-type foods that Dr. K talks about. If I find that just watching the ratios isn't enough, I'll have to decide whether I want to start eating 'the weird stuff'.

If this plan doesn't work for me - what have I lost? A bit of time? In the big scheme of things, that's not a high price to pay on the chance that this plan is a solution to my problem/stall. At least I'll know that I've given it a fair shot and that eating lower fat/higher carbs/higher fat is either good for me or not good for me.

YMMV
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 18:29

BF:

Liver, bone broth, and bone marrow might not be part of the standard American diet, but they hardly qualify as "weird Polish foods." They're consumed by every culture I can think of.... Hispanic, French, Italian, Jewish, British, Japanese, Chinese, Korean... and they're universally considered to be highly nutritious. So, while some of the recipes in ON are specifically Polish, the food choices are pretty much universally applicable.

Regarding ratios, I did look everything up in the beginning (I have the values for our most commonly eaten foods saved in a spreadsheet), and our meals aren't too high in protein. On this way of eating, we're satisfied with very small portions. One egg plus a yolk, or a 2-3 oz. serving of meat, is plenty for us. For instance, with the chicken dish I mentioned, I took a single thigh (with skin, pan juices, and fat-soaked vegetables), and didn't finish it. Meat goes a long way these days.

I don't think this is just some quirk of my personal metabolism, as I've always had a fairly big appetite. In past pregnancies, I could eat two full steak dinners by this stage.... then I'd wake up in the middle of the night and eat another one, LOL. My husband is also satisfied with small amounts, even though he used to love to have large servings of meat and cheese. As I was unloading the dishwasher this morning, I was thinking that perhaps we should put away our full-size dinner plates, and just use the luncheon plates.

If you're still eating a lot of lower-quality fats and lower-quality proteins, that could be the reason why you're feeling hungry. Never mind the organ meats for now; from an ON perspective, it would be a big improvement just to cut out the daily consumption of nuts, vegetable oils, and chocolate, and replace them with more egg yolks, butter, bacon, and fatty sausage. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but (regardless of what might be said on some web sites) Dr. K's books make it very clear that counting grams of protein is NOT the key to success. If the food is properly selected and optimally balanced, you can eat as much as you want.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 18:43

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Mike, you don't have to start with less fat if you're not overweight.

That's correct. I'm supposed to take in 140 to 190 grams of fat per day.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 19:10
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

May i make the gentle suggestion that this thread be kept to listing meals and food ideas, as it's title implies, and discussion of the plan be kept to the other thread? Otherwise, having 2 threads will be redundant, confusing, and not as useful as a reference.

What i ate today:
1 Jack-in-the Box Grilled Chicken Club Salad, to which I added 2 sliced hard boiled eggs and 4 extra slices of bacon, 4 T bacon ranch dressing, 3 parmesan wafer crisps, 4 T pieces of CO bark, 1 T peanut butter, 1 T butter

Calories 1,606
Fat 145.2 1,299 80 %
Carbohydrate 21.8 67 4 %
Dietary Fiber 7.1
Protein 63.4 255 16 %
(Targets: Fat 113-153, Carb 32-52, Prot 64)
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 09:08

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm working from home today which means I can have the luxury of making my own breakfast. I just cooked three slices of thick nitrate-free bacon. After I removed them from the pan I scrambled two eggs in the bacon grease, and added 1 oz of crumbled bleu cheese to the eggs. I also put *heavy cream* in my coffee. <swoon>

Wow, talk about a delish breakfast. Best one I've had all week, I could easily eat it every day! Too bad I can't have it on the 5 days of the week that I'm normally in the office.

Okay, now I've added lunch to the mix. Lunch was:
1 cup of reheated cabbage (from last night's dinner) with 1.5 oz melted butter and a pinch of sea salt, served with 2 oz of Liverwurst (Braunschweiger).

For the first time this week I *did* make some of my LC chocolate candies (1 oz 85% chocolate melted with 1 3/8 butter 1 1/8 oz coconut oil, 1/4 cup DaVinci SF syrup, 1/4 cup heavy cream, 2 1/2 oz sesame tahini - poured into 6 paper cupcake liners and chilled until firm - each one has 23g fat, 4g carbs, 2g protein) and I did have 2 of those for dessert.

Right now for the day I'm at:
Calories:1558
Fat: 149g
Net Carb: 11g
Protein: 41g

my ON ranges are: protein 52-64, fat 155-219, net carb 39-52

So I still have some room to go for dinner, and for the first time this week I'm not overly hungry - compared to the other days! I wish I had some macadamia nuts right now though Note: I did later have a snack of 1.5 oz cashews.

Okay, I just had dinner too! Dinner was:

brussels sprouts (about 1 cup) lightly steamed and then sauteed in some leftover bacon grease with some added butter, some chopped onion, and a small handful of walnut chunks with a 1/2 oz of bleu cheese sprinkled on top when served.

2 oz sauteed chicken breast (reheated from last night)
reheated sauce - about 2 tbsp half-and-half with a bit of chicken bouillon and some canned mushroom

so in the end I wound up with:
Calories: 2475
Fat: 222g (a bit over the top of my 155-219 ON range)
Net Carbs: 37g (actually still a hair under my 39-52 ON range)
Protein: 78g (over my ON 52-64 range, but not if you only count animal protein)

Last edited by Merpig : Fri, Apr-17-09 at 18:23.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 09:43

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangolina
Dr. K's books make it very clear that counting grams of protein is NOT the key to success. If the food is properly selected and optimally balanced, you can eat as much as you want.

Do you have a copy of the book, pangolina? Could you visit the Optimal Diet thread in the Paleo forum? We have a lot of questions there and not many answers.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 12:22

BF:

Quote:
Lbut (regardless of what might be said on some web sites) Dr. K's books make it very clear that counting grams of protein is NOT the key to success. If the food is properly selected and optimally balanced, you can eat as much as you want.

What's not to like about a statement like that?
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 15:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
What's not to like about a statement like that?

Well actually, I think the main premise that attracted me was that the reason we're stalling out on our diets is because we're converting excess protein to glucose and it's making us insulin resistant. So we'd been going kind of by the info we gleaned from the web site, which was pretty much all about macro nutrient ratios.

So once again, all this conflicting info from Dr. K just makes my head spin.

So if it isn't macro-nutrient ratios that is helpful to dieters what is it? The magic of eating 20 grams of organ meats a day? I guess I find that hard to believe. Although I'll happily test that theory. I found some chicken/pork pate at Trader Joe's today.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 18:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
So if it isn't macro-nutrient ratios that is helpful to dieters what is it?

Well I do think the ratios are important. Maybe I just need to find the right number for me. Maybe the protein number is a "happy medium" somewhere between Dr. K and Dr. Eades. Damned if I know. I'd be skinny if I did.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 22:18
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
(regardless of what might be said on some web sites) Dr. K's books make it very clear that counting grams of protein is NOT the key to success. If the food is properly selected and optimally balanced, you can eat as much as you want.

Not so. Aside from the fact that I've dug up a forty-year old paper written by Dr. K that says the opposite of 'eating as much as you want' if you're obese (I'm writing a long post about that and other questions that I hope to get up this weekend) -- the reality is that:

1: He wrote the OD for people to reach Optimal Health (as he saw it, at the time he lived, in the place he lived, and with the state of science being what it was at that time, but no longer), not necessarily to lose weight.

2: Most of us are not eating OD to reach Optimal Health (as he saw it, etc) -- we're simply using his theory/formula because science has recently discovered that we have a metabolic problem with protein when we eat a LC high fat diet. And his LC formula (unlike, say, PP or Atkins) addresses that problem.

3: His foods are historically and culturally based. Science has moved on since then, and we live in the here and now. I already am living an optimally healthy life. I'm just still 30 pounds too heavy because unless I'm willing to give up the high fat LC WOE -- and I'm not -- my body cannot process excess protein in the presence of fat. The quality of my foods is excellent. I eat egg yolks and liver and gizzards (and marrow when I can get it) because I love them. Ditto for veggies and some berries. I don't make broths or eat the other foods on his list because -- I don't live in Post-War Poland forty years ago, and because I don't have to. I feel great, my blood tests say I'm great, and after a two-year stall I'm losing weight.

Theory is one thing, and Dr. K's was ahead of his time, especially with his formula for the obese. Practice is another - and I believe we can practice the theory without eating those precise foods that he knew and liked best.

My 2cents; YMMV

Lisa