Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 17:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 244/244/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Anyone breastfeed?

I want to lowcarb with my husband, but not sure how while nursing my son. Anyone have advice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 20:00

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I would suggest at this time, depending on the age of your baby, to just reduce carbs, such as reducing bread, rice and potato servings, maybe eliminating them and of course, no added sugar. Maybe keep small servings of fruit. try to focus on whole foods, as opposed to store-bought.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 08:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 244/244/150 Female 5'4
BF:

How many carbs should I be taking in? Hayden is 3 months old.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 09:42

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan
Stats: 239/226/139 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

How old is your baby? I am still BFing my DD, but she is 18 months so I have no qualms about going full force on my lifestyle change to LC.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 09:45

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan
Stats: 239/226/139 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I somehow missed that he is 3 months. I think Atkins limits carbs more than some of the other plans, especially in the beginning. I would have no problem doing the PPLP while nursing a 3 month old. Just make sure you choose your carbs wisely (most nutritional value) and continue taking prenatal vitamins.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 13:53

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I haven't BTDT (yet anyway), but I've had a few friends on here that were breastfeeding and low-carbing and they were all different. Some were able to stick to Induction and still produce plenty of breastmilk, while others needed a few more carbs to keep their supply going. I think it's more of a trial-and-error thing that you'll need to figure out as you go. Even if you can't do really low-carb just yet, you should still be able to reduce your carbohydrate intake significantly from what you were eating (if you were eating a *normal* American diet).

Good luck and kup!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 14:05

Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%
Progress: 18%

My own conclusions are that low-carb is perfectly safe while pregnant and during breastfeeding. I don't believe there is anything dangerous for baby or momma about keeping your carbs low. This is a healthy lifestyle, period. It's not going to be suddenly "unhealthy" just because you are pregnant or breastfeeding. The only thing I would worry about is YOUR RATE OF WEIGHT LOSS. If you are losing too fast, there can be an overload of environmental toxins being released by your fat cells that can enter the breastmilk. You don't want to stress your little baby's system with all the junk we've accumulated in our bodies. No more than 2 lbs a week is advisable. You'll have to track your carbs to find out how many grams would keep you on a 2 lb/week weight loss.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-23-09, 15:41

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

I low carbed on my last baby, and went very low from when she was about 2 months (horrified by some of my photos). I was also tandem nursing a toddler at the same time, so I could ask her if there was any difference in the milk. She insisted there was lots of it, and it tasted like warm ice-cream.

Of course, that didn't stop me testing it with ketostix. None.

Since then, I've checked with experts, and even if you are in full blown ketosis, ketones can't pass into your milk.

The only thing to consider is whether dieting is likely to reduce your supply, but low carbing as such should not.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-09, 06:02

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)

relatively low carbing might even increase supply if it helps keep your hormones steady.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 06:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

I am low carbing while exclusively breastfeeding. I started when my son was 11.5 weeks, around 3 weeks ago. He is fine. I've tested my breastmilk for ketones and while my urine is moderate, my milk is negative.

I was actually doing weight watchers for a while and hated it. I know it works for some but I didn't like it at all. I was losing weight but I couldn't count points for the rest of my life. I felt I'd been released when I went back on low carb, I love this woe.

I'm not actually counting carbs but I'm eating relatively induction type levels. There may be days I eat more or less carbs but all in all it's pretty low.

One day I'll take the time to enter my food into fitday but right now I'm rebelling against counting anything (after the ww nightmare of points) and since I'm still losing I don't see the necessity.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-09, 09:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/151.8/127 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Im breastfeeding my son as well. he is 10 and a half weeks old. i was very concerned about my supply. im glad i found this thread!! its comforting to know im not the only mama doing LC.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-09, 19:22

Plan: Paleo? Real Foods
Stats: 215/190/135 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 31%

I unfortunately didn't find the low carb lifestyle until after I had weaned my second ds. Milk Thistle is an herb (found in most health food stores) known for increasing milk supply in case you have that concern. It also will help those with severe morning/evening sickness.
One other thing if you will allow me, parsley will cure mastitis. I had a bad case of mastitis, shivering fever, swollen painful breast, bad case and a friend of mine found in her herbal book that a poultice of fresh parsley would help. Within half an hour my fever was gone and the breast normal. I cannot believe this isn't common knowledge but there you go.

Just wrap fresh parsley in cheese cloth or similar and steep for a min or two when cooled enough to tolerate apply to the affected area and rest. Enjoy those darling babes
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-09, 11:56

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica78
Im breastfeeding my son as well. he is 10 and a half weeks old. i was very concerned about my supply. im glad i found this thread!! its comforting to know im not the only mama doing LC.

The expects who measure this sort of thing found that women all over the world, on all sorts of different diets, even ones in famine conditions, produce almost exactly the same amount of milk. It tends to be lowest fat in the evening so your baby will have to suck for longer to get the same calories, and highest in the middle of the night.

If you have a problem with supply, it's almost certainly not your diet, it's much more likely to be due to a poor latch, or simply not letting the baby spend enough time on the breast.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-09, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Not really low carb information but I found this site very interesting in particular A Natural Age of Weaning makes me reconsider opinions I hadn't previous realized I'd simply taken for granted.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-09, 15:05

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
Not really low carb information but I found this site very interesting in particular A Natural Age of Weaning makes me reconsider opinions I hadn't previous realized I'd simply taken for granted.

Oh, I nursed my babies until they were three. Once they could walk, they'd come up to me, pull up my shirt, pull out my boob, nurse for a few seconds and then walk away. My husband called it "pulling a drive by." After the first year or so it's more for comfort than nutrition, but it sure beats juice or milk out of a sippy cup. I remember one time nursing my youngest in McDonalds or Chuck E Cheese or some place where you can let your kids run wild when she was around 2, and there were a few grandmas there who were SO supportive of nursing a toddler. I guess it used to be far more common.